of 11

Author Thread  
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  17:26:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
That's why they're called mixes! 2 or 3 minutes is enough to get an idea of what the track is about, plus it leaves a little bit of mystery for when the unmixed tunes are available. 15 tracks per CD at 4 or 5 minutes each would be a massive letdown.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  18:03:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
There's been trends towards quicker mixing and shorter tracks in recent years, I reckon the balance here is at least close to correct. Some tunes are used as "links", and a lot is done to keep the energy high or enable a sense of progression. It's worth noting that with close to 80 minutes as a cut off for CD, and mixing essentially involving things running at the same time, it takes some creative maths to come up with 2 minutes per track

If anyone wants to listen to a more leisurely and full track showcase then at least you've got the chance to hear what you like in a oft-fun fashion here.

IMO.

This all said, as always, we'll watch feedback and take on board any concerns once it breaks cover.

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2011/10/05 18:05:17
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,093 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  18:06:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
tbh I still think a fewer tracks help you select out the favorites you like, and that way you can listen to the for longer!

But ofcourse, most tracks are are built up having 2 parts that sounds almost identical. I think alot of tracks in Makina fix that that by the end of the 2nd part, the pitch gets altered to sound different (pitched up)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2011/10/05 18:07:12
robertybob

United Kingdom
328 posts
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  18:31:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit robertybob's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
2 or 3 minutes is enough to get an idea of what the track is about, plus it leaves a little bit of mystery for when the unmixed tunes are available. 15 tracks per CD at 4 or 5 minutes each would be a massive letdown.

Fair enough , it wouldn't be a problem if tracks were released FREQUENTLY, but often it takes 3 or 4 months for a handful to be released at a time. With the scene being the way it is, you'd think people would want to get everything out asap to keep the interest there, but for some reason everything takes so damn long to do in the hardcore scene.

I'm really disappointed by the fact so many of the tracks will be a minute or two in length. It's what pissed me off with HU4 , and the reason why I appreciate HU3 a lot more.

And anyway, the Bonkers 1 only had 18 & 17 tracks on the discs, and people consider it one of the best titles in the series, so the whole 15 tracks would be a let down thing is rubbish. IMO it should be about quality, not quantity.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  19:10:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Why not quantity AND quality? And 17/18 is more than 15!

As CDJay has already said, this album is pretty much the only chance these artists will get to showcase their talents - so including as many tunes as possible (or are available) isn't a bad thing.

I know it's a pain waiting for tunes but we all have to put up with it so there's no point making a fuss - they'll come when they come and if we're bored of em by the time they're released it's the artists/labels that lose out in the end.

Plus, shorter tracks stops the inevitable misguided ripping of tunes from the mixes for DJ Useless to squeeze horrendously into a mix he doesn't have the right (or talent) to attempt!

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  20:48:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
There's been trends towards quicker mixing and shorter tracks in recent years, I reckon the balance here is at least close to correct.

this is VERY true! a lot of ppl (including me) complained when bonkers 17 came out and brisk & ham's cd was 28 tracks. these days very few ppl bat their eyes at 20+ track mixes. and many tracks these days barely go over 5mins long, so 4min mixes really is pointless and pretty dull creatively speaking

tracklist looks good, but personally the tracklist is never a factor for me as I love the mixing done on HU and they have never let me down!

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,515 posts
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  21:03:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
Albums should be 18 tracks max tbh and using tracks as simple links sucks imo. I'm still gonna buy the album but i'd hoped for more than just cramming. Like robertyrob said, it should be quality not quantity.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,941 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  22:01:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
Albums should be 18 tracks max tbh and using tracks as simple links sucks imo. I'm still gonna buy the album but i'd hoped for more than just cramming. Like robertyrob said, it should be quality not quantity.

Wow...what's the point of cramming 22+ tracks on a cd megamix (because the continuous mixing will be like, 10-30 sec....not much skill needed for that) if the tracks themselves are going to take 3-6 months to get out (because the interest will already be lost by then.) I would have rather had 18-20 top quality choices of tracks with proper mixing instead of a megamix of 2 min. tracks with rushed 'clubland-style' mixing. Megamixes work with Eurodance & Eurobeat, and possibly classic tracks, but with Hardcore, you need a good 3-4 minutes of track exposure to get the feeling of the track. I guess I'll still get it though for collection purposes.

The Doc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,718 posts
The Doc has attended 1 event
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  22:04:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Doc's homepage  Reply with quote
I much prefer mixes with loads of tracks, thats what hardcore mixes should be about! Whats the point of having 15 to 17 tracks? Its then not a mix, just 5 mins of one track into another, also all the people who slated the new HH album for showboating their own tracks, CD 1&2 on this album seems to do the same thing but nobody is slagging it off!

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,677 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/10/05 :  22:56:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage  Reply with quote
I really hate it when DJs sterilise great tracks, simply by cutting off the half of it:
Coitus interruptus!
If I wanna listen to some bad "best of" or "Hitmedleys"-mixes, I'd looking for DJ Oetzi and Modern Talking crap all day long.

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Edited by - Warnman on 2011/10/05 22:58:21
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,941 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/10/06 :  02:39:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Doc:
I much prefer mixes with loads of tracks, thats what hardcore mixes should be about! Whats the point of having 15 to 17 tracks? Its then not a mix, just 5 mins of one track into another, also all the people who slated the new HH album for showboating their own tracks, CD 1&2 on this album seems to do the same thing but nobody is slagging it off!

Key word in here...mixes. When I see the term "mix", as it applies to dance music, I think of a DJ mixing, showing off talen, not creating a mix collection of tracks.

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2011/10/06 :  14:04:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage  Reply with quote
Tracklist overall looks very powerful. Disc one looks fcuking mind-bendingly good.

Short tracks, long tracks. Meh, not fussed. If the tunes are good, no worries.

I've rarely allowed myself to get sucked into the Hardcore Underground brown-nosing (although I have enjoyed them a lot), but this one really does look the absolute business.

Dogsy
Average Member

United Kingdom
212 posts
Dogsy has attended 4 events
Posted - 2011/10/06 :  16:17:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dogsy's homepage  Reply with quote
Really excited about this- pre ordered today =)

I'm not bothered about the amount of tracks.. Kutski & Al Storm HU4 had 31 and I loved that cd. CD2 only has 3 more than the Brisk/Ham/Fracus CD's 23 on HU2010 and I still got a good feel of those tracks.
Can't wait to hear all 4 cds (esp 1&2)

Tracklist looks great!

D-tor
Advanced Member

United States
1,143 posts
Posted - 2011/10/07 :  01:55:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit D-tor's homepage  Reply with quote
Holy crap Raving Donkey! Haven't heard from him since his track 8Bit! I don't know who he is, but I think he's an amateur...?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/10/07 :  12:27:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-tor:
Holy crap Raving Donkey! Haven't heard from him since his track 8Bit! I don't know who he is, but I think he's an amateur...?

Most Hardcore producers are amateur, lol.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 11 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5 ... 6  7  8  9  10  11
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.88 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page