Radio listeners 162+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 what qualifacations do u dj's have?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
DJ CURLY i'm still quite young 16 and am wondering if i need to be clever to be a dj cus i didnt do too well in my exams (a couple of c's and b's but mainly d's)
i'm just wondering what sort of qualifications most dj's have.
maybe silver could help me out?
cus i dont really know what i want to do in my life.
being a dj no matter how big i was would be cool.
plus ive heard putting on parties can be a big money earner but from most people ive heard its a quick way to go bust.
could ne1 tell me what courses are best to learn about dj'ing or any thing to do with music, i was thinking media studies.

" when ya dont know where to go and lifes kinda slow ya gotta hit the raves and let your body lose control release the tension the pressure is high roll with the flow get high on the ride"
Brian K ummm grades really have nothing to do with spinning, unless of course you want to be one of those elite techno djs, then you have to love math =P

make sure you have something planned for your career. you're only 16 now so you still have a lot of time to think about what you want to do, rather that be go to a university or just start up work right out of school.

i really doubt most people can afford to live off of just being a dj alone =P unless you're someone like paul okensuck. i know a lot of people that have lost money trying to put on elaborate parties and such. i think if you are going to try and throw parties, start small and then work your way to larger events.

i really don't think there are any courses available to learn how to dj. maybe you could one of those dj in a box things and get one of those nifty videos that they sell with them =P just hang out with other djs/ppl inspiring to be djs. as far as music goes, try taking music appreciation and stuff like that.

"As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."
DJ CURLY i have a job already i work in electronic boutique in walsall but have been threatened with the sack three times already (shouldnt give me early shifts then should they).

" when ya dont know where to go and lifes kinda slow ya gotta hit the raves and let your body lose control release the tension the pressure is high roll with the flow get high on the ride"
joltzy Acutualy there is a dj school go to Grooveriders.com!

JAM-HAY If you love it then drop everything for it, in DJing I think its all or nothing if you want to make it big, but then again a job comes in handy at first to get you started, work hard, save hard to get the best of gear. Start with m8s birthdays and stuff in your time off, then apply to pubs and stuff with good names to put on your c.v. Then when your ready apply to small clubs and work your way up. Most, if not all big hardcore djs made it just because of their massive love of hhc alone, the money and stardom that came from it was secondary to the music. Its a gamble but so's everything. But if you dont act quick and build up a good name for yourself you run the risk of becoming the crusty old fart in the worn out leather jacket, standing behinde a cheezy light box with a couple of worn out old speakers at your auntes wedding.
I dont know how it would but hope this helps you out a little. p.s tell your aunte I was asking for her, and thank her for the gig.

'its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice'

DJ-SK8
quote:
Originally posted by joltzy:
Acutualy there is a dj school go to Grooveriders.com!

I realy don't think that being i dj is something you should teach in a school, caus then every joe shmow will start spining and then there will be nothing speshal about becoming a dj/producer. I'm not saying that dj's r better then other ravers, i'm saying that if ppl go to a school then you won't have different styls and skills, everyone will just sound the same, and it will be boring.

My god how long have those mice been living your back fat?!?!?!
DJ Mouse as long as you know the basics about music like 4/4 timing etc you'll be fine

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"
virus 5 years of jazz, 6 years of tap.

DJ Fade Best advice - Don't put all your eggs into being a DJ / producer !! It's extremely hard to break it, and even harder to make a decent living from it, as you have to invest a serious amount of time / effort / cash into making it into a full time career.

I started DJ'ing in 93, and had a very good full time job in aviation for the first 4 years I was involved in music. I never gave this sideline up, and still get involved with (part time) contracts for other businesses outside the music biz.

If you're producing tracks, you rarely see any cash for around 6 months after you made it in the studio, so you've got to learn about cashflow's etc. and the general business side of it all.

I'd suggest going on a course completely different to music, so if it all goes tits up, then at least there is something to fall back on..

Fadey

Brian K ^^
well said fadey =)

DJ CURLY well i did do business studies at my school but i think i failed it.

DjMoNkEyBoY Yeah man college may teach you everything about music, and music apreciation, but it doesn't teach you how to be an artist.
What I'm saying is that it comes from you. Its great because you choose/create who you wanna be.
The only advice I could give is to be different.
It may take you a while to learn the basics. but once you do, try to be as orginal as possible. Always push the envelope and create something new.
If you can do these two things, it's only a matter of time before you're a success.
Just look at Pete Tongs career. Check the new Remix Magazine for a full 5 page article.

Dj MoNkEyBoY
Founder of Monkeyshine Inc.

Keep it Real!

Keep it Happy!

Keep it Hardcore!
Brian K pete tong? yuck =P

silver Here are the facts:
You don't have to be "school" smart to DJ but you need to have mixing talent.
Only 1 in say 10,000 DJ's can actually make a living and survive from being a just DJ.
and for the rest of the 9,999 people that can't live off just being a DJ you will need a job, record are expensive, you need a good job, you need a good job you need to be school smart...

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.
DJ Pathfinder and with the age of 16 you could do your school year again look at me over two days ill become 24 and stillo on school. :)

and i can spin as much as ilike.

You can't see me,because i am the future.
Heist please, and this goes for all budding djs, ONLY BE A DJ IF YOU HAVE PASSION FOR THE MUSIC!!!!!

Its impossibly hard to do it for the money now with the competition and doing it to be cool? Get ****ed. Simple as that

If you love hardcore, then sing it loud and work untill you're so good at playing it that you can make money doing what you love.

www.mp3.com/djheist
Midway_raver I'm 16 too and im still w8ing for my exams:( i think my love for musi chas made me fcuk them up tho when im ment to be revising photsynthesis im beavering away at a new mix tape:)..Definetly get ur qualifications 1st tho...coz if u get a good job u can afford new and better equipment which will help u and betta vinyl ( more fun) etc etc.......If i had the chance id work and DJ for free @ raves :) just for teh buzz off it

Like a bolt of lightning it's so frightning..Get ur brain now we're igniting
Oli G you dont need many qualifications to become a dj.. none infact.. however as silver says you need to get a decent job as well
as for a producer... you dont need qualifications.. but you need to know wtf your doing.. have a good k nowladge of computers & equpiment and audio engineering :)

"ENERGISE"
\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_
DJ CURLY thanxs
i have a mate who's a dj (amatuer) and he's crap he just fades to another tune plus he doesnt even do that any good he just fades it whenever he likes and then say's to me that was good yeah? and im like YEAH lying my arse off i only go round to have a play on his technic decks and plus he has some alright tunes, plus when theres a gang of us round his house i mix a few songs and my mates are buzzin their faces off, and he says yeah that was ok when i know for a fact that i have much more ryhthm than him.plus i dont just simply fade the tunes together.

MC RizlaDizla you can be as fick as shit m8 but you could stil be the best dj.

you will notice that being smart can help you in djing or even more producing or runnig a label. Again that does not have to be anythign to do with grades and qualifactions.

but for me i have 7 a-c GSSE, Ad GNVQ in Media and Com, C&G in TV prod, HND in TV and multi media, plus some other smaller units or certicates

"Oh my goodness, Oh my Gosh. Here we go with a badboy rush."
"Oh my goodness gracious me, Badboy Dj, Wikkid Mc."
Tyrant
quote:
Originally posted by virus:
5 years of jazz, 6 years of tap.

hehehhehe

simpsons quotes at their best

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it -- Sir Winston Churchill
The_Busta I actually got hooked up with a company and a producer as long as i trained under them and stayed with them. Best thing is, i get paid as i train. nice.

°¤°Come to me and take my hand, lets get up in the sky to the paradise of rave.°¤°
DJ CURLY how old are u mc rizzla dizzla?

MC RizlaDizla 21 m8 but the way i complain about me aches and pains ya would fink abouy 96

"Oh my goodness, Oh my Gosh. Here we go with a badboy rush."
"Oh my goodness gracious me, Badboy Dj, Wikkid Mc."

It took 1.59 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page