Total online 1729
 Radio listeners 165+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements
 *updated* Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (AW RMX)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Audio Warfare Not been getting much done in the studio lately for various reasons but my new monitors turned up over the weekend so I couldn't resist testing them out and finishing off this little remix.

http://soundcloud.com/audio-warfare/paul-oakenfold-southern-sun

No doubt the mix needs adjustment as I'm still learning the speakers but thought I'd stick it up for some feedback. Will get the final mix and a master sorted in the not too distant future (hopefully) and will sling it out as a freebie. :)

*edit*

New version up now! I've made the lead a bit more beefy, stuck a sidechained pad behind it and added the intro vocal to the bridge. Hopefully sounding a bit more complete!?

Triquatra I really like it! i think the final mixdown should have just a tad more sidechaining in it (usually Im not a fan of sidechaining but..) I think it would sound awesome with a lush pad wap wapping i the background!

awesome work as usual! I still have Dr Wiley as my ringtone :P
Audio Warfare Cheers mate. :) Will have a play with that! Sounds as if it would work well.

Haha you've had that a fair while now. :D Nice one. I'll have to send you the VIP mix when I get it done! ;)
Ionosphere I like it but the vocal "Eh Oh" (or whatever it is in the intro), the "Oh" sounds flat....?
Audio Warfare Nice one mate. :) Not sure what I can do with that though... Hmm. It's not a pella you see, I've layered the original track (well, a chillout mix) with all the Hardcore elements basically. If I was to try and pitch it, it would make a right mess I think! Any ideas? haha.
SpiritWolf Just love your music, and this track is one of my faves! Not too sure what to do with the vocal if autotune isn't working...
Mortis ****ing hell Gaz, you're on a tare at the moment. Absolutly superb. Can you try one little thing though? Can you try adding the vocal from 1:16 over the bridge at 2:14 and see how it fits. I know your up against it with the lack of pella but it may still fit if some of the bass notes are changed, it would add some serious power to the track.
Mortis How's Velvet Room getting on?

It makes me wet my pants just listening to the mini clip you sent. I seriously can't wait to get a copy of that track.
Audio Warfare
quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWolf:
Just love your music, and this track is one of my faves! Not too sure what to do with the vocal if autotune isn't working...

Thanks mate. :D Glad you've been diggin my stuff. I shall be working on that remix of The Happy Tune soon enough. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
****ing hell Gaz, you're on a tare at the moment. Absolutly superb. Can you try one little thing though? Can you try adding the vocal from 1:16 over the bridge at 2:14 and see how it fits. I know your up against it with the lack of pella but it may still fit if some of the bass notes are changed, it would add some serious power to the track.

Cheers Stu. :D Glad you like it. I shall give that a go yes. Definitely seems a sensible idea! Nice one mate.
djDMS Absolutely love it!

Wish i could summon up something a bit more constructive but to be honest i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a sidechain and a bike chain!
Mortis A side chain is the effect of using one sound to manipulate another sound.

A bike chain is a necklace you buy from Argos or HPJ to put around the neck of the local slapper to "tag" her as yours for the week.
Hard2Get Very pleasant tune. Nice one. How bootlegs should be (a nice tune that dosn't try to beat the original or be anything else other than just good in it's own right) but rarely are. Given how much i dislike current Hardcore, and how much i generally dislike bootlegs, this is a very unlikely song for me to like yet i do so clearly something is right, shame it ends where it does though lol. While the song uses modern sounds to me the style is a much older sounding one which i like.
Dante
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
A side chain is the effect of using one sound to manipulate another sound.

For instance using the kick to mute the bass for a few miliseceonds to give room for said kick :p It's common in dnb and other styles with flowing basslines afaik, at least I use it for break tracks, and also those choiry freeform pads that go ah-ah-ah or whatever, are sidechained, I think.

edit: Forgot to comment the track! I think it sounds good! nice use of glitch, though maybe turn up the speed on that gater right before the breakdown a little :D Just a personal preference of course. First breakdown is mighty, partly because the chord progression in the first part there appeals me, but also because you've made a very nice atmosphere to sit behind the vocals! ^^

edit2: Any progress on The News Report? :DDD
JayHH86 As usual, glorious stuff mate. I dunno what it is - because I don't know how to properly describe elements of tunes and terminology etc - but there's something that you and Darts (Mooch Records) have, that's really appealing to me. I can't work out what it is. It's very good though. Your tunes sound pre mid-2000's. And that's a good thing. They don't sound cheap like a lot of modern stuff does.

quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
I shall be working on that remix of The Happy Tune soon enough. ;)

Looking forward to that! Love the original.

quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Wish i could summon up something a bit more constructive but to be honest i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a sidechain and a bike chain!

You and me both! We are the uneducated, enthusiastic morons of the forums.
D-tor Before Hardcore the original was on repeat on my PSP... man that was a long time ago.

Very nice track man. Looking forward to the release.
Audio Warfare Dean - Haha Cheers mate. Knowing if listeners actually like/dislike it is just as valuable as the detailed
production assistance so I appreciate the comment. :)

Matt - Thanks mate, glad you like it! I was semi expecting you to tell me off for ruining a Trance classic haha. ;)
Glad you think I've done it some justice. Just tried to keep it simple and stick nearer to the early trance influenced
Hardcore sound which I thought would work better.

Noddy - Cheers mate! I'll fiddle with the glitch settings again and see what I prefer. :) I've done precisely
bugger all with the news report since you last heard it heh. Think it will be a collab with a mate of mine
now so it should surface soon enough (I hope).

Jay - Thanks mate. :D That's good to hear as most of my influence is from that era and I vaguely aim for it
(but trying to to outright copy it) so it's nice to know I'm getting the sound right haha. I just prefered the
sound of the Trance vibe stuff then to the Hands-Up vibe stuff after it.

Oh and you've gotta love Darts' stuff, guys an amazing producer. :)

D-tor - Cheers mate, glad you like. :) I shall chuck it out for free on my Soundcloud when it's all done.
Mortis
quote:
Originally posted by JayHH86:
As usual, glorious stuff mate. I dunno what it is - because I don't know how to properly describe elements of tunes and terminology etc - but there's something that you and Darts (Mooch Records) have, that's really appealing to me. I can't work out what it is. It's very good though. Your tunes sound pre mid-2000's. And that's a good thing. They don't sound cheap like a lot of modern stuff does.

I might be bale to help out. Both AW & Darts have a really nice "spacey" feel to their tracks, other world type thing. Listen to AW's Off World Colonies for example, amazing track. Dart's Turrican has the same feel to it (I know it's a computer game theme but he did so well remixing it).

Ionosphere
quote:
Not sure what I can do with that though... Any ideas? haha.

Send me the WAV of the bit that goes "Eh Oh" and I have a look....?
Brian K don't care for it, much like most things trance...especially oakenfold.

that said, it's produced very well!
Audio Warfare
quote:
Originally posted by Ionosphere:
quote:
Not sure what I can do with that though... Any ideas? haha.

Send me the WAV of the bit that goes "Eh Oh" and I have a look....?

Nice one, on its way over to you. ;) If you can do anything with it I'd appreciate the help man.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
don't care for it, much like most things trance...especially oakenfold.

Haha that's fair enough but you're missing out not liking most Trance IMO. ;) Glad you think it sounds well produced at least.

Haha that's fair enough mate,
Audio Warfare New version up now! I've made the lead a bit more beefy, stuck a sidechained pad behind it and added the intro vocal to the bridge. Hopefully sounding a bit more complete!?

Mortis Amazing Gaz. You just keep getting better and better, so much so that it's almost scary.
Hard2Get
quote:

Lol seems to be a trend that people either like the breakbeat side of things or the trance side of things. Don't usually see people liking both equally.
Audio Warfare Cheers Stu! Hopefully all the practice and my new speakers are paying off. :D Thanks for pointing out the vocal should obviously be in the bridge too. ;) Deffo belongs there!

quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:

Lol seems to be a trend that people either like the breakbeat site of things or the trance side of things. Don't usually see people liking both equally.

Think I'm in the minority there then because I love both haha. 8)
Triquatra hehe great stuff! :)
Audio Warfare
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
hehe great stuff! :)

Cheers mate. The sidechain seemed to work well so thank you! :)
Hard2Get
quote:
Cheers Stu! Hopefully all the practice and my new speakers are paying off. :D Thanks for pointing out the vocal should obviously be in the bridge too. ;) Deffo belongs there!

quote:
quote:

Lol seems to be a trend that people either like the breakbeat site of things or the trance side of things. Don't usually see people liking both equally.

Think I'm in the minority there then because I love both haha. 8)

Yeah me too.
Dante
quote:
quote:

Lol seems to be a trend that people either like the breakbeat side of things or the trance side of things. Don't usually see people liking both equally.

I love both breakbeat music and trance ;D primarily psy-trance since more commercial trance is usually way too cheesy these days, but it's still trance, and i love me a bit of general 97-01 trance! but I am pretty omnivorous when it comes to music ;p
Hard2Get
quote:
Originally posted by Dante:
quote:
quote:

I love both breakbeat music and trance ;D primarily psy-trance since more commercial trance is usually way too cheesy these days, but it's still trance, and i love me a bit of general 97-01 trance! but I am pretty omnivorous when it comes to music ;p

Omnivorous haha, i must use that.
Brian K i like hard acidy trance/goa and most early to mid 90s, but other than that it doesn't do much for me. just lost interest when epic trance came around.

It took 1.97 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page