Radio listeners 169+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Why is'nt there a best vocalist Hardcore award%3F

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
rafferty Was looking at the Hardcore Heaven awards just before and this is one category that is not recognised when it really should be. The MCs have awards, the producers do, the djs and even the websites. But the vocalists seem to get totally ignored.
And when you look at it, vocalists have played such a big part in so many great Hardcore tracks. Seems very unfair.
So many could be nominated in this category.

JENNA
MANDY EDGE
LISA ABBOTT
MARIE LOUISE
BECCA HOSSANY
CAT KNIGHT
KIRSTEN JOY
BECCI
TAYA
DMO
VICKY FEE
MERI EVERITT
NATALIE

wong who cares? awards are crap
wong i do like vicky fee though
silver I dont think vocalists get the credit so much in the tracks, sounds like a good idea.
MaidenV Ant Johnson all the way, baby
DJ_FunDaBounce so true. Add Charm, Ellie, Jo James, and Kelly C to that list.
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
so true. Add Charm, Ellie, Jo James, and Kelly C to that list.

So many others that are awesome that I forgot to mention. Even Dougal & Gammers Niki Mak and Hixxys Shelly Clifford.

What's even funnier is that alot of the words to these Hardcore tracks are actually written by the vocalist also. Something slammin Vinyl should really think about.
Lilley Mainly because awards aren't given to people who can't sing in tune.

Dys7 Its not necessarily how good the vocalist is, its how good the producer is at post production.
djDMS No point, Darren Styles or Gammer would win it anyway.
MaidenV
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
No point, Darren Styles or Gammer would win it anyway.

Gammer deserves it for this groundbreaking, tear jerking, crowd moving vocal performance.

SpiritWolf
quote:
Originally posted by MaidenV:

Gammer deserves it for this groundbreaking, tear jerking, crowd moving vocal performance.

He's got my vote.
latininxtc Clearly that's not Gammer. His voice is way more high-pitched than that lol

BTW y'all forgot Donna Grassie!
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
Clearly that's not Gammer. His voice is way more high-pitched than that lol

indeed, saddened that nobody mentioned the only singer worth mention, Donna Grassie, guess its to be expected though with all the new people in the scene who werent around for the first time or don't know they're hardcore history!
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
Clearly that's not Gammer. His voice is way more high-pitched than that lol

really? the clips i've seen him talk normally in doesn't sound to far from what this clip does.

By the way, how many hardcore tracks actually do have vocalists on? Compared to the other instrumtal, vocal & tv sampled tracks?

Should Darren Styles win the Hardcore Singer-Songwriter category then?
rafferty I've seen a few live and they can sing. Lisa Abbott for example sounds as good live as on record and no she was'nt miming as the backing track had no vocals.
Also saw Jenna live ages ago and she can sing too.

Would be funny if Gammer or Styles won best vocalist. Would just prove how much of a boys club the hardcore scene really is lol. Probably the best guy singer is Recon.
You'd hope it would be more the chicks nominated in a category like this though.

I agree with Donna Grassie, she has been singing Hardcore tunes for ages.

whispering
quote:
Originally posted by Lilley:
Mainly because awards aren't given to people who can't sing in tune.

Does it really matter if it sounds good?

They add distortion to guitars in rock music, they use hand held cameras in movies just to make it a bit off. Same way over produced and pure technicality sounds boring.

Karthy Most hardcore vocalists aren't actually vocalists and tend to be so-and-so producers wife / girlfriend / sister... and they're usually shite. Like someone else has said before it's usually post production in hardcore that determines a vocalists talent. It's VERY hard to find a professional vocalist that will sing over hardcore songs because (a) they've never heard of it or (b) it'll give them a bad reputation.

Saying that though, I havn't studied hardcore vocalists too much so I could be generalising here and missing some raw talent, but whatever :P
scottyd2k9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f04L1Q7KRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yljISHo2PZo

if links dont work
for fuke sake
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by Karthy:
Most hardcore vocalists aren't actually vocalists and tend to be so-and-so producers wife / girlfriend / sister... and they're usually shite. Like someone else has said before it's usually post production in hardcore that determines a vocalists talent. It's VERY hard to find a professional vocalist that will sing over hardcore songs because (a) they've never heard of it or (b) it'll give them a bad reputation.

Saying that though, I havn't studied hardcore vocalists too much so I could be generalising here and missing some raw talent, but whatever :P

hang on, doesn't your girlfriend sing on some of your tracks? :P
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by scottyd2k9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f04L1Q7KRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yljISHo2PZo

if links dont work
for fuke sake

[ youtube ] yljISHo2PZo [ / youtube ]
copy it, paste it and remove ALL spaces = magic!

The 2nd video? Marian is one of the more famous vocalist for Makina and other Spanish stuff. Never heard her stuff on any UK Productions tho
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
quote:
Originally posted by Lilley:
Mainly because awards aren't given to people who can't sing in tune.

Does it really matter if it sounds good?

They add distortion to guitars in rock music, they use hand held cameras in movies just to make it a bit off. Same way over produced and pure technicality sounds boring.

A lot of MCs can't rap in time and are they still receive awards. So I'm sure if there is an award for MCs there can be a Hardcore award for vocalists in scene:) Will probably never happen though.

Tracks like Slide Away, 24/7, Shooting Star and Your Shining would never have been so popular if it was'nt for the good singers. Not to take any credit awy from the producers also.

It took 1.39 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page