Radio listeners 188+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Who was the first to do this?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
fakka13k My money is on Scott Brown for this one but would be interested to hear any others thoughts on this.
So when (and who) started playing the majority of their sets consisting of stuff on they're own labels?
There was a time when all dj's played a mix of all different artists stuff instead of just plugging there own stuff
Kebab Head Raverbaby
Elipton Frankie Knuckles.

I mean this is really quite a silly question. The vast majority of DJ's who produce promote their own stuff, and have done for 30-odd years - going back to the earliest 'house' parties whereby a DJ would mix a pop song into a repeating beat. It's really nothing knew for a DJ to represent the label he's on or runs.

Scott Brown certainly wasn't the first and he wasn't the last. I don't know why there's a negative attitude toward him doing this though. He's got an enormous catalog of tunes that have mapped the history of Hardcore. Some of his tracks have been the best Hardcore has ever seen, and as result seeing him live has become something like "The Scott Brown Live Experience". It's great fun.

I've seen him live thrice, twice at ILHB where he did an old school Bass X mix and then a classics and new tracks mix, and another time last month where he played another classics and new tracks mix. I'd happily see him play another 3 times.

I'm a bit perplexed by this to be honest.. You seem to have a bit of a negative view on it, but have you actually seen him live? It's great!
Impulse_Response I wonder about this too. I haven't been to many live events, but I noticed that Scott Brown's mixes on Bonkers always have more than enough of his own tracks, and sometimes 6 or 7 in a row! I don't mean this in a negative way. It's just a curiosity.
DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:
Originally posted by Kebab Head:
Raverbaby

nah. I remember reading a DJ Brisk interview about a decade ago saying something about him not being too aware of what was coming out as he was mainly playing stuff from NextGen/BlatantBeats.
Kebab Head
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
quote:
Raverbaby

nah. I remember reading a DJ Brisk interview about a decade ago saying something about him not being too aware of what was coming out as he was mainly playing stuff from NextGen/BlatantBeats.

So where raverbaby artists 10 years ago
Future_Shock Every DJ (for the most part) that has a back catalogue does this. It's always been that way.

Why would you promote none of your own tracks?

With the relatively little skill involved with most DJ's sets, people go to see a DJ expecting to hear that DJ's tracks. Otherwise how are they different than any other DJ?

DJs that have their own tracks play their own tracks.
DJs that own labels play stuff from their label.

It's not a new thing. We're going back decades for this. Way before scott brown.
DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
quote:
Raverbaby

So where raverbaby artists 10 years ago

yeah. you're right. 2004 seems not long ago for me. Somehow, the memory I have of that interview feels Pre-Raverbaby, though.
Samination dont mind him FDB, Willy can be stubborn at times, like forgetting that NextGen/BB pre-dates RB :P
fakka13k
quote:
Raverbaby

Where the hell have I been negative about Scott Brown?
Seeing as this is a Happy Hardcore forum I assumed my post related to only hardcore Dj's , I sincerely apologise for that faux pas good sir. I would also like to congratulate you on seeing the great Scotsman 3 times and I am also glad to hear that you would like to see him another 3 times, I shall pray to the baby Jesus before I drift off to my slumber that this can happen for you.
As for it being a silly question , no question is silly if you are searching for an answer , apart from maybe "why can't elephants walk upside down".
I asked the question due to having been listening to my tape packs ranging from 95-99 and the hardcore dj's at that time were not solely pushing the tracks on their labels , for example on a slammin vinyl pack about 90% of the dj's were playing shooting star in their sets, however most of the tapes having brisk djing he didn't play it once. Hixxy was pushing a lot of euro stuff , slipmatt was playing a lot of UK dance stuff and seduction hardly played anything from impact.
Ps thought of another silly question.... But it will keep
Elipton
quote:
Originally posted by fakka13k:
quote:
Raverbaby

Where the hell have I been negative about Scott Brown?
Seeing as this is a Happy Hardcore forum I assumed my post related to only hardcore Dj's , I sincerely apologise for that faux pas good sir. I would also like to congratulate you on seeing the great Scotsman 3 times and I am also glad to hear that you would like to see him another 3 times, I shall pray to the baby Jesus before I drift off to my slumber that this can happen for you.
As for it being a silly question , no question is silly if you are searching for an answer , apart from maybe "why can't elephants walk upside down".
I asked the question due to having been listening to my tape packs ranging from 95-99 and the hardcore dj's at that time were not solely pushing the tracks on their labels , for example on a slammin vinyl pack about 90% of the dj's were playing shooting star in their sets, however most of the tapes having brisk djing he didn't play it once. Hixxy was pushing a lot of euro stuff , slipmatt was playing a lot of UK dance stuff and seduction hardly played anything from impact.
Ps thought of another silly question.... But it will keep

Well you have an answer to your silly question.

I dont know why you think Hardcore would be any different to any other genre. Playing your own music to promote it has been commonplace before Hardcore.

By saying he always plugs his own stuff sounds pretty negative to me.. If it wasnt, why bring it up? In a night like 'Hardcore Underground' whereby you have various DJs representing their own plethora of labels, you're obviously going to get a great variety of music.

I suggest you actually go see him. Far better an experience than tape packs.
The drunken scotsman On a serious note; why can't elephants walk upside down? A question that has been at the forefront of my mind for many a year.
Ionosphere
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:

....why can't elephants walk upside down?

They do in Australia.
Smoogie Paul Elstak always showcased Rotterdam but I don't think I have heard much from other lesser known labels in his sets.
Casketkrusher I myself don't like to mix my own tunes. I always mix from random labels like Dwarf, Babyboom, Test Crash Records and Terror Traxx, or sometimes from very very unknown labels like Blurp! Records which only has 3 releases made in 1994.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
I'm a bit perplexed by this to be honest.. You seem to have a bit of a negative view on it, but have you actually seen him live? It's great!

Well, to be fair, this isn't the first time I've seen people on here complain about the general practice of playing exclusively your own tunes. There clearly is some negative sentiment towards doing this and it would be nice if you could acknowledge it (and then say why you don't think it's a problem) rather than just calling his question silly.
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by Casketkrusher:
I myself don't like to mix my own tunes. I always mix from random labels like Dwarf, Babyboom, Test Crash Records and Terror Traxx, or sometimes from very very unknown labels like Blurp! Records which only has 3 releases made in 1994.

Never heard of Blurp! before but I found their 3 tunes on Youtube and listening now 1994 is easily one of the best years for Gabber
GrahamC Just means the sets lack variety for me.

Might be going back a good few years now but Dain-Ja did those mixes on here that covered the entire spectrum of labels - that would be the sort of thing I would want to buy, not a label-centric sets/mixes which is what we get on most hardcore comps.

The bigger name compilations in other genres, Ministry of Sound for instance, the music comes from all over the place but then they no longer have big-names mixing them. Why can't we have some anonymous DJ or programmer string a decent set of hardcore tracks and punt out a compilation?
Elipton
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:

Well, to be fair, this isn't the first time I've seen people on here complain about the general practice of playing exclusively your own tunes. There clearly is some negative sentiment towards doing this and it would be nice if you could acknowledge it (and then say why you don't think it's a problem) rather than just calling his question silly.

I'm well aware of a few comments toward the matter of DJ's playing mixes made up of their own tunes. However, some people are reacting to it as if it's a new thing. It's not. Here's why I don't think mixes at events are a problem. A night made up of 9 DJ's playing means you hear a variety of music even if each DJ plays their own music. Some DJ's are sought after by fans. I'm always very exited when Arkitech plays because I like his music, and I expect him to play it. If Scott Brown plays I get exited to hear his music. Same with DS, F&D, D&G and any other DJ. There's no point in paying thousands for a sought after DJ if they don't thrill the fans with their own music. It'd be like seeing a band at a festival play a load of covers. It's not what you go to see. DJ's who don't produce, support the bigger acts or don't have affiliations are more likely to play a variety of music.

Like I say, it's nothing new. The whole notion of "Freeform" originally came from playing a variety of music and introducing crowds to Hardcore they weren't used to. I can cite Sharkey on this, who posted on here in 2008. He said he "plays Hardcore in a Freeform way" and triess to keep the floor interested. People have their views on DJ's who play their own stuff, but if they don't particularly like the Dj who's playing, they can scamper into Room 2! If you're not liking the Dj who's playing on your tape pack, buy some tickets and go Munted!

It's the way it works! "OMG Sharkey is at Munted, I hope he plays some SHARKEY MUSIC (otherwise there's no point to it being Sharkey at all)"
Future_Shock
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:

I'm well aware of a few comments toward the matter of DJ's playing mixes made up of their own tunes. However, some people are reacting to it as if it's a new thing. It's not. Here's why I don't think mixes at events are a problem. A night made up of 9 DJ's playing means you hear a variety of music even if each DJ plays their own music. Some DJ's are sought after by fans. I'm always very exited when Arkitech plays because I like his music, and I expect him to play it. If Scott Brown plays I get exited to hear his music. Same with DS, F&D, D&G and any other DJ. There's no point in paying thousands for a sought after DJ if they don't thrill the fans with their own music. It'd be like seeing a band at a festival play a load of covers. It's not what you go to see. DJ's who don't produce, support the bigger acts or don't have affiliations are more likely to play a variety of music.

Like I say, it's nothing new. The whole notion of "Freeform" originally came from playing a variety of music and introducing crowds to Hardcore they weren't used to. I can cite Sharkey on this, who posted on here in 2008. He said he "plays Hardcore in a Freeform way" and triess to keep the floor interested. People have their views on DJ's who play their own stuff, but if they don't particularly like the Dj who's playing, they can scamper into Room 2! If you're not liking the Dj who's playing on your tape pack, buy some tickets and go Munted!

It's the way it works! "OMG Sharkey is at Munted, I hope he plays some SHARKEY MUSIC (otherwise there's no point to it being Sharkey at all)"

Pretty much exactly what I said.
Hard2Get I like DJ's because of their good track selection, whatever it is, rather than because i like the songs they make. Hixxy is probably my favourite DJ for 90's stuff, but not because he plays any of his own stuff (which he doesn't play much of). The tracks he chooses to play are just really good and to my taste. That's what makes him a good DJ. However I'm not disagreeing. Just sayin'.
fakka13k I agree people now pay to go see a dj play the tunes that they have made and that people like.
However that wasn't always the case with hardcore, I believe people went to see the dj's for the experience they provided, how the set was structured, how a dj could bring a mass of people to heights they hadn't been to before and keep the rhythm going. I have been to many events ( yes I've seen Scott Brown umpteen times too), in 98 Dougal was putting out lots of good music at the time however at some events the floor was really sparse as people had ****ed off, lazy mixing, poor structure and didn't really seem to care just as long as he put on one record of his after another that was good enough for him, before anyone goes on a backlash about me being negative, it is just what happened, nothing more nothing less. He wasn't the only one like this though either, Hixxy was too as was the great Scott brown on a few occasions too
Future_Shock
quote:
I agree people now pay to go see a dj play the tunes that they have made and that people like.
However that wasn't always the case with hardcore, I believe people went to see the dj's for the experience they provided, how the set was structured, how a dj could bring a mass of people to heights they hadn't been to before and keep the rhythm going. I have been to many events ( yes I've seen Scott Brown umpteen times too), in 98 Dougal was putting out lots of good music at the time however at some events the floor was really sparse as people had ****ed off, lazy mixing, poor structure and didn't really seem to care just as long as he put on one record of his after another that was good enough for him, before anyone goes on a backlash about me being negative, it is just what happened, nothing more nothing less. He wasn't the only one like this though either, Hixxy was too as was the great Scott brown on a few occasions too

Before an "artist" is well known and has a catalogue of released material, they become "DJ famous". Where people go to see them for the reasons you specified. Their mixes.

What you might be confusing is this stage of an artist's development. It was a little airy fairy back in the 90's because hardcore had nowhere near as much exposure and wasn't mainstream - ****, the internet wasn't even a viable way to market anything.

In steps social media (facebook, soundcloud, forums etc) and now everyone knows who produced what and everything is marketed in the mainstream for ACTUAL money. It's just not the same thing, you're not comparing apples to apples.

I'm not sure there's actually an answer that you're looking for. Now that we know you're specifically JUST talking about hardcore - it's still impossible to tell. There was no definitive moment where it was like "yep, that guy's set was just full of his own tracks - wow that's never happened before!". Everyone would have noticed at a different time. It's subjective.

Hell, even the ORIGINAL bonkers (released in 1996), the sets went like this:

Hixxy's CD: 7/18 of the tracks, he's involved in.
Sharkey's CD: 9/17 of the tracks, he's involved in.

Even the ORIGINAL bonkers was heavily laced with the artist's own tracks.

Does that give you some semblance of an answer?
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Influx:
quote:
I agree people now pay to go see a dj play the tunes that they have made and that people like.

Before an "artist" is well known and has a catalogue of released material, they become "DJ famous". Where people go to see them for the reasons you specified. Their mixes.

What you might be confusing is this stage of an artist's development. It was a little airy fairy back in the 90's because hardcore had nowhere near as much exposure and wasn't mainstream - ****, the internet wasn't even a viable way to market anything.

In steps social media (facebook, soundcloud, forums etc) and now everyone knows who produced what and everything is marketed in the mainstream for ACTUAL money. It's just not the same thing, you're not comparing apples to apples.

I'm not sure there's actually an answer that you're looking for. Now that we know you're specifically JUST talking about hardcore - it's still impossible to tell. There was no definitive moment where it was like "yep, that guy's set was just full of his own tracks - wow that's never happened before!". Everyone would have noticed at a different time. It's subjective.

Nice that you didnt mention Bonkers 7, because Hixxy's mix is 99.999% Hixxy & UFO :P. But then I consider that album as a concempt album
Future_Shock
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Influx:
quote:

Nice that you didnt mention Bonkers 7, because Hixxy's mix is 99.999% Hixxy & UFO :P. But then I consider that album as a concempt album

I didn't mention any other bonkers because bonkers 1 was before all of them and the whole point is *when* it started happening. There are albums with far more "self promotion" that bonkers one. My point was just that its always been around.

It took 1.62 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page