Radio listeners 167+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 HH.com Production/Lyrics Comp-PRODUCTION STAGE F/C

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Ken Masters COMPETITION UPDATES:

Stage 1 is now closed! Stage 2 coming soon...

Massive thanks to everyone who took the time to get involved in Stage 1 of the competition. It was great to see the non producing members given the opportunity to get involved :)

The original plan at this stage was to let you guys vote & decide the winning lyrics. However with many of you so eager to start production, combined with the novelty of this idea & the length of time the voting process will take, it will only prove to delay the Production Stage further.

So with that in mind i've decided the best plan is for myself & Allison to go ahead & choose the winning lyrics ourselves, letting us crack on with creating the final vocals. This'll get things moving so much quicker & will help with making the February deadline to begin preparations on next years Members Album 'PPF 2015'.

For now, please bare with us & we'll begin Stage 2 of the comp asap. Cheers :)

ORIGINAL POST:

Let's try something a little different! After a good old bit of brainstorming we've all decided to hold a production competition with a slight twist! Instead of your average remix competition let's push the boundaries & really get those creative juices flowing!

The idea is to create a Vocal Hardcore track from scratch! The Competition process will be separated into 2 stages:

Stage 1 - Lyric Writing Competition: *NOW CLOSED*

- Each member will have until November 30th (approx 3 1/2 weeks) to write their own lyrics & submit them. Never tried writing lyrics before? Who cares! Get involved & give it a go! I wan't the non producers to get involved in this competition & what better way than to write the lyrics!

Get creative! They can be as cheesy, happy, uplifting, serious, sad or deep as you like! There really are no limits but please keep all ideas original.

- Submit your lyrics to me either through private message on the site or email me at [email protected] . Your lyric submission should be a minimum of 1 Verse & 1 Chorus, however feel free to include more verses.

- The winning lyrics will be recorded & sung by our very own Allison (who you may remember featured on this years FREE PPF album http://www.ppf2014.info ).

- The winner of Stage 1 will be decided by you guys. At the start of December I will anonymously list all lyrics received & let you guys decide what/who you feel is the best through a round of voting. I will then announce the winning member who will go on to work closely with Allison in putting their ideas & visions into action!

- As a little added incentive, the winner will also receive a whole host of Hardcore related prizes!

Stage 2 - Production Competition: *COMING SOON..*

With Stage 1 now complete it's now time to let the producers loose on the vocals! This is a no holds barred Production competition. Use the vocals in whatever way you please, on whatever Hardcore genre you please! I'll go into much more detail on what's required in this stage once we reach it but simply put:

- Each member will submit one track by the set deadline.

- I will then anonymously post all entries, hold a round of voting, then let you guys decide the winning track.

- The winning track will receive full professional mastering & then feature exclusively on next years PPF album 'The Past. The Present. The Future 2015'.

- Prizes will also be included for the Winner/Runner Up which will include a Cash Prize & more Hardcore related prizes.

It's a pretty bold idea & as always, the success or failure of my adventurous projects relies entirely on you guys. Please take a bit of time to support the idea & be part of something a little different, fun & (hopefully) very productive!

If you need any help with anything regarding both stages then be sure to give me a shout & i'll be happy to help, or for lyric related questions you can also ask Allison. We're friendly Glaswegians, they do exist! Thanks for your support & good luck!

........now get to work!
AllisonM from offering to sing on a track to a full blown comp with prizes haha :D xx
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by AllisonM:
from offering to sing on a track to a full blown comp with prizes haha :D xx

If we're goin' to do it let's do it proper ;)
Elipton Are we just writing lyrics?

Just wondering how we convey how they'll be sung, or do we leave that to the talents of Alison?

I'm keen to get in on the producing though :)
djDMS I'm sure Allison with her great talent will be able to interpret whatever nonsense we come up with
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
Are we just writing lyrics?

Just wondering how we convey how they'll be sung, or do we leave that to the talents of Alison?

I'm keen to get in on the producing though :)

Well there's 2 ways we'll go about it. The way I see it, those submitting lyrics will hopefully have some ruff idea as to how they should be sung. Combine this with the winner, myself & Allison all working together we'll be able to put together a strong vocal.

No doubt most people are keen to get cracking on with the Production stage but this stage 1 gives all members the chance to get involved & offers something a little different :) Give it a go!

Ken Masters Already received a few submissions. Its interesting to see new members come forward who write lyrics for fun but don't have intentions of making something of them as such.

Makes this idea worthwhile, looking forward to seeing more over the coming weeks :)
Simon I'm dog awful at writing hhc lyrics, but I'll throw something into the mix this time
AllisonM remember it doesnt have to be huge for example promise land from ppf 2014 -

open up and show your feeling,
am i the only one thats dreaming,
i close my eyes and dreamed a dream,
that you have opened up to me,
in a place called promise land

i'll free your heart,
and open your mind,
stay with me and you'll be mine,
and take my hands,and we will be,
in a place called promise land. xx
Simon
quote:
remember it doesnt have to be huge for example promise land from ppf 2014 -

Indeed, I often thin my lyrics down at the production stage but I prefer to start off with the more the merrier method.

Anyway this will be great fun throughout I'm sure
The Dopeman i seem to have missed quite a bit :p where the hell did all this spring from lol
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
I'm dog awful at writing hhc lyrics, but I'll throw something into the mix this time

Thanks for getting involved Simon, the more the merrier :)
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by The Dopeman:
i seem to have missed quite a bit :p where the hell did all this spring from lol

Things snowballed rather fast mate! Get involved :)
Ken Masters Impressive stuff so far!

Big thanks to those who've submitted lyrics already :)
The Dopeman
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
quote:
i seem to have missed quite a bit :p where the hell did all this spring from lol

Things snowballed rather fast mate! Get involved :)

pretty good timing i'm having a smoke so might aswell use it to get creative...it'll still probably be crap tho but fcuk it :p
AllisonM Ken i want to see xx
Maggers What if we wanted to sing our own lyrics? I'm not saying I'll enter, but if I did - I would want it to be with something that was 100% my work.

I do understand not everyone can sing so it's great to have a vocalist willing to do that piece of it, but for me - a lot of song/lyric writing is the vocal interpretation. I think I'd be upset if the base song created didn't match what I envisioned.
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Maggers:
What if we wanted to sing our own lyrics? I'm not saying I'll enter, but if I did - I would want it to be with something that was 100% my work.

I do understand not everyone can sing so it's great to have a vocalist willing to do that piece of it, but for me - a lot of song/lyric writing is the vocal interpretation. I think I'd be upset if the base song created didn't match what I envisioned.

I completely understand where your coming from but I think what your proposing is more of a lyric & vocal competition, which by the way is a great idea for a future comp.

However for the sake of simplicity & cracking on with the next stage which is Production, trying to have everyone record their own vocals & to a high enough standard & recording level is quite a task!

There's also the question of is there enough vocalists on here to make it worthwhile? Possibly. I wasn't sure how many people would have a go at lyrics as it is but the response has been really good.

I think sticking with lyrics as a new addition to the comps is cool for now but what your proposing is definitely an idea for the future :)
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
What if we wanted to sing our own lyrics? I'm not saying I'll enter, but if I did - I would want it to be with something that was 100% my work.

I completely understand where your coming from but I think what your proposing is more of a lyric & vocal competition, which by the way is a great idea for a future comp.

However for the sake of simplicity & cracking on with the next stage which is Production, trying to have everyone record their own vocals & to a high enough standard & recording level is quite a task!

There's also the question of is there enough vocalist on here to make it worthwhile? Possibly. I wasn't sure how many people would have a go at lyrics but the respond has been really good.

I think sticking with lyrics as a new addition to the comps is cool for now but what your proposing is definitely an idea for the future :)

Just to expand on that, remember the winning lyricist will be working with Allison to help put their vision into action, if that means then sending her your own sung version of your lyrics then it would be a huge help & something to build on :)
Ken Masters
quote:
Ken i want to see xx

No worries :) bare with me, its been a manic couple of days in work!
Maggers
quote:
quote:
quote:

There's also the question of is there enough vocalist on here to make it worthwhile? Possibly. I wasn't sure how many people would have a go at lyrics but the respond has been really good.

Just to expand on that, remember the winning lyricist will be working with Allison to help put their vision into action, if that means then sending her your own sung version of your lyrics then it would be a huge help & something to build on :)

I understand, but to me - lyrics without a melody to go off of when judging them doesn't mean nearly as much. Thanks for the clarification on your plans for this comp. I might participate in the production portion instead.
AllisonM
quote:

i think if you have your own track you can submit it anyway if you want it on the album xx
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I understand, but to me - lyrics without a melody to go off of when judging them doesn't mean nearly as much. Thanks for the clarification on your plans for this comp. I might participate in the production portion instead.

Thats true, but the same could be said for badly sung/recorded vocals of some excellent lyrics. Involving the building of vocals is pretty adventurous as it is, keeping it simple to begin with is best but your concept is noted. A real possibility for next year.

Thanks for your interest in the production stage, look forward to hearing your ideas mate :)
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:

i think if you have your own track you can submit it anyway if you want it on the album xx

Correct :) once the comp is complete it'll be onto building the next album & accepting track submissions as normal.
Hard2Get Well the inability to write lyrics rules me out!

Edit: that is unless they are completely separate competitions.
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Well the inability to write lyrics rules me out!

Hasn't stopped plenty of others I can think of!
Hard2Get I have absolutely no desire to even try though. It's just not me.
djDMS Great of you to let us all know you won't be entering ;-)
Ken Masters
quote:
I have absolutely no desire to even try though. It's just not me.

Ken Masters
quote:
Well the inability to write lyrics rules me out!

Edit: that is unless they are completely separate competitions.

Yes, once the lyric stage is over it's onto the production comp as normal, so hopefully see you involved in that mate.
Dys7 Pro Mode: Don't write about love.
AllisonM
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
Pro Mode: Don't write about love.

i think some people can write better lyrics when it comes from the heart xx
ElectronSparky I think I'll have a shot at the production stage ;)
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by ElectronSparky:
I think I'll have a shot at the production stage ;)

Good man, how long you been producing for?
ElectronSparky Too long to be this shit haha.....nah im not pro but the comp sounds fun ;)
Dys7
quote:
quote:

I highly doubt they'd come from the heart, people write love songs because that's generally all they can think of.
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by ElectronSparky:
Too long to be this shit haha.....nah im not pro but the comp sounds fun ;)

Thats what its all about mate, get involved :)
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
quote:

I highly doubt they'd come from the heart, people write love songs because that's generally all they can think of.

You having a go dude? or ever attempted before?
djDMS My attempt will be coming soon
Triquatra
quote:

Hehe, yes this!
last time I sang from the heart I ended up coming up with lyrics about strangling friends :)

Would be interesting to see what happens if we banned clich?d words and lyrics "love" "fly" "flying" "angel" etc etc ;)
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
quote:

Would be interesting to see what happens if we banned clich?d words and lyrics "love" "fly" "flying" "angel" etc etc ;)

Or better still, have such words replaced with "kill" "death" "massacre" & the like ;)

The Dopeman
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or better still, have such words replaced with "kill" "death" "massacre" & the like ;)

lol i think alison would have to practice on her death growl if the vocals were to have those words

can't really imagine those words being sung by someone who sings as good as her tho :p
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

lol i think alison would have to practice on her death growl if the vocals were to have those words

Death growl? Allison's from Glasgow, I'm sure shes a natural.
Ken Masters Not long till deadline now people, hows everyone getting on then?
The Dopeman
quote:
Not long till deadline now people, hows everyone getting on then?

i'm can't come up with shit lol i have one line...ONE LINE!!! nothing sounds right lol so i think i'll bow out of this stage n stick to the production part :)
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:
Not long till deadline now people, hows everyone getting on then?

i'm can't come up with shit lol i have one line...ONE LINE!!! nothing sounds right lol so i think i'll bow out of this stage n stick to the production part :)

Yeah, I figured I could come up with something but I'm not going down the route of 'Why do you make me fly so high in the sky, love won't die, give me a try, my God that was a big sigh" etc etc, nothing sounded right.
In fact, that is my entry.
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
Yeah, I figured I could come up with something but I'm not going down the route of 'Why do you make me fly so high in the sky, love won't die, give me a try, my God that was a big sigh" etc etc, nothing sounded right.

Shit, better rethink mine now.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
quote:

Shit, better rethink mine now.

I wouldn't bother, sunbeam, I've already got this.
Ken Masters Keep chipping away lads, if lyric writing's anything like production, some days are a bust!
Future_Shock I'll give the writing a pass,

But i'll get in on the production...

:)
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Influx:
I'll give the writing a pass,

Nice one Andy, the writing stage isn't for everyone but it adds something a little different to the comp & lets more people get involved.
Ken Masters We're fast approaching the final week now guys & gals!
ninja edit
quote:
I'll give the writing a pass,

same here
AllisonM 5 days left :) xx
Ken Masters Yeah not long now people :)
Ken Masters Final day for submissions tomorrow guys & gals, use your Sunday wisely :)
Hard2Get So when does stage 2 start?
Ken Masters
quote:
So when does stage 2 start?

Apologies, I picked up a few extra 15hr nightshifts & they've damn near killed me.

When/if I rise tomorrow all will be revealed...
Ken Masters Stage 1 is now closed!

Massive thanks to everyone who took the time to get involved in Stage 1 of the competition. It was great to see the non producing members given the opportunity to get involved :)

The original plan at this stage was to let you guys vote & decide the winning lyrics. However with many of you so eager to start production, combined with the novelty of this idea & the length of time the voting process will take, it will only prove to delay the Production Stage further.

So with that in mind i've decided the best plan is for myself & Allison to go ahead & choose the winning lyrics ourselves, letting us crack on with creating the final vocals. This'll get things moving so much quicker & will help with making the February deadline to begin preparations on next years Members Album 'PPF 2015'.

For now, please bare with us & we'll begin Stage 2 of the comp asap. Cheers :)

Ken Masters The vocals are almost ready, stage 2 will begin very soon :)
ninja edit great
Future_Shock It's been over two weeks - any news on this?
Ken Masters
quote:
It's been over two weeks - any news on this?

Apologies on the delay mate, the vocals are being recorded now. Wont be long.
The Dopeman so i'm guessing end of 2014/start of 2015 sort of time??
AllisonM the lyrics have been chosen and now been made into a melody, i have a template ready to record and processed this weekend xx
Ken Masters Basically as soon as the vocals are ready the next stage can begin which like Allison said, is only a matter of days :)

Obviously it took a little time to create something viable out of nothing but the lyrics.
Elipton Omg went and posted in the wrong thread! What a novice!
I was planning to comment on this thread anyway which is why I had it open. Gimme a mo'
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
Omg went and posted in the wrong thread! What a novice!
I was planning to comment on this thread anyway which is why I had it open. Gimme a mo'

here you go
Future_Shock It's almost been three weeks with this since the last post...

Not being a nag or anything but is this happening?
Ken Masters
quote:
It's almost been three weeks with this since the last post...

I admire your enthusiasm Andy. Yes. This is definitely still going ahead mate.

The vocals had actually been recorded & almost completely processed, but there were still slight adjustments needed to get the best from the processing.

However, Allison's been unwell the past week or so (as seems the rest of the UK!), & hasn't been able to redo the parts needed. Vocals & the flu aren't a good mix, that would have made for some strange results!

Its coming mate, I wouldn't start something like this then just let it die.
Maggers Sorry to hear she's been ill. I've been recovering from bronchitis for 3 weeks now, and can definitely attest to the fact that it's impossible to record when sick. Looking forward to the production comp when it's ready!
Future_Shock
quote:
quote:
It's almost been three weeks with this since the last post...

I admire your enthusiasm Andy. Yes. This is definitely still going ahead mate.

The vocals had actually been recorded & almost completely processed, but there were still slight adjustments needed to get the best from the processing.

However, Allison's been unwell the past week or so (as seems the rest of the UK!), & hasn't been able to redo the parts needed. Vocals & the flu aren't a good mix, that would have made for some strange results!

Its coming mate, I wouldn't start something like this then just let it die.

Any news on this mate?
Ken Masters Apologies, we hit a bit of a snag mate. I dont feel its fair to go into it on here, give us a few more days & it'll be wrapped up..
Dys7 You've been saying 'a few more days' for two months now.
Ken Masters
quote:
You've been saying 'a few more days' for two months now.

Yes, as we were on track at that time. Unfortunately there were some issues that were out of my control, & like I said I dint feel its fair to go into them.

The delay is frustrating I know, id liked to have kicked things off much sooner & am eager to get this underway. Please bare with us.
Ionosphere In all of the projects that Ken has started he's never let us down so, show some courtesy and be patient....

....ffs
wong some rate impatient f*ckers i tell thee
Hard2Get I don't think anyone has been impatient. It's that they have been told a few days and it has been many times longer than that. Impatience would be complaining why it's taken this long when they have been told that it would take this long. I don't have any problems personally but that needs to be pointed out.
Captain Triceps You lot better wind your necks in. Ken Masters promised us a few days.
I for one am sick of the excuses and sob stories, and I can assure everyone he will be hearing from my lawyers.
I have nothing further to say on this matter.
(Foreigners - I was jesting, no need to reply with a quote.)
Hard2Get
quote:
(Foreigners - I was jesting, no need to reply with a quote.)

Lol
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Ionosphere:
In all of the projects that Ken has started he's never let us down so, show some courtesy and be patient....

....ffs

Cheers lads, its the great comp in the making I'm sure :)

I can understand people are eager to get stuck in but please bare in mind guys, this all stemmed from a thread I posted asking what you guys fancied doing. Days later it was underway.

Its not like most production comps where everything's in place before launching. We've had to create a vocal from scratch, working from nothing but lyric submissions. Its a great idea but adventurous like most of my ideas are! Haha It cant be half assed, & if that meant delays then so be it. Myself & Allison have needed help in making this possible & unfortunately that help hasn't always been available.

We could have launched with dry vocals already, why not? Its a production comp after all. However, with all the projects I run, I like to encourage people of all levels to have a go. People that may have never thought about getting involved in these type of projects before. Ensuring wet vocals are included will go a long way in helping more people get involved, ensuring the overall standard of entries is as high as it can be.
Maggers I'm assuming you will also be providing dry vocals? Just curious ... Can't do nearly as much with wet vocals.
Hard2Get
quote:
I'm assuming you will also be providing dry vocals? Just curious ... Can't do nearly as much with wet vocals.

Yeah dry are the most useful.
AllisonM the vocals need processed think he means he could put them up unprocessed but would rather do it so they can be dropped there will be dry and wet and hopefully harmonised processed vox xx
Ken Masters Yes, both dry & wet vocals will be included :)
djDMS
quote:
quote:
I'm assuming you will also be providing dry vocals? Just curious ... Can't do nearly as much with wet vocals.

Dunno, can't beat a bit of wetness too
Captain Triceps Out of interest, will there be midi's or anything, for the slightly uselesser producers amongst us?
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dry to begin with. Then soaked. With reverb.
brodster
quote:
Out of interest, will there be midi's or anything, for the slightly uselesser producers amongst us?

I feel like a midi of the vocal by itself would be good, as long as it doesn't have a chord progression or a melody included with it. We don't want everyone's submissions to be sounding the same now do we.
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're a bad, bad man.
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by brodster:
quote:
Out of interest, will there be midi's or anything, for the slightly uselesser producers amongst us?

I feel like a midi of the vocal by itself would be good, as long as it doesn't have a chord progression or a melody included with it. We don't want everyone's submissions to be sounding the same now do we.

I really don't want to limit/guide what you guys do with the vocals. Part of the fun will be hearing completely original ideas with every submission. It'll help involve more people in the voting process also. We'll keep it strictly vocals.
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:
quote:

I really don't want to limit/guide what you guys do with the vocals. Part of the fun will be hearing completely original ideas with every submission. It'll help involve more people in the voting process also. We'll keep it strictly vocals.

That's fair enough. It wasn't so much to do with having a melody to play with, more a guide to what key (or whatever) the vocals are in.
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's fair enough. It wasn't so much to do with having a melody to play with, more a guide to what key (or whatever) the vocals are in.

I'm guessing you don't write music by ear then?
Future_Shock
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You can work that out pretty easily. The key is usually the root note. So all you need to do is work out the first note and then it's either minor or major depending on the mood.

It's not a fool-proof method but it'll probably be right if you're in trouble with it.
Captain Triceps When it comes to music theory and other stuff like that I'm pretty clueless, I must say.
When I have done tunes with a vocal there's nearly always been a midi or something I can use as a little guide. A lot of the times I've had nothing but a vocal to play with it, doesn't sound quite right. I suppose I'm just not that great at that sort of thing, but it's not like I'm a proper producer or anything, or able to devote lots of time to practising it.
I'm sure when the time arrives I will handle the situation like a champion.
Hard2Get I don't know any music theory either when it comes to that. I do it all by ear.
Ken Masters
quote:
I'm sure when the time arrives I will handle the situation like a champion.

I admire your optimism! Haha if it'll help people out I'm sure we can let you guys know what key to build from :)
Dys7 hi
Ken Masters
quote:
hi

You may have missed this dude :) http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=69322

It took 3.55 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page