Radio listeners 188+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hixxy?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
fakka13k So , Obesity and pizza jokes aside what has happened to hixxy? Why has he totally dropped off the scene? He must be absolutely loaded as havnt heard any new material from him and he really dosnt seem to be in any rush to make a bit of coin releasing all his old unreleased stuff so what gives?
Answers on a postcard.
Captain Triceps Possibly has other business ventures on the go? Maybe more behind the scenes stuff?
Or he quite possibly just doesn't love the music any more, at least not to continue making it at this time.
I don't think there is some official reason out there but it's certainly not gone unnoticed, in particular the lack of digital releases. I've not been raving in a fair old while so I don't know what type of tunes he plays in his sets these days, if anyone wants to fill us in there.
Samination New tunes is always good, but in Hixxy's case? I'd wish he would concentrate on getting his older stuff/labels out digitally before everyone (even his die hard fans) loses complete interest in his stuff. We all know Sharkey's a lost case, but lets hope that Hixxy's just SLOW as hell :P
Thumpa The last few sets I've heard over the last 12 months have all been mid 2000s stuff with a few TWR bits thrown in, he played at Summer Gathering and played that kinda era but threw in some amazing dog scratching which was nice!
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Thumpa:
The last few sets I've heard over the last 12 months have all been mid 2000s stuff with a few TWR bits thrown in, he played at Summer Gathering and played that kinda era but threw in some amazing dog scratching which was nice!

I don't think I've ever recorded a happy hardcore mix that didn't include a bit of the dog-scratching, I certainly owe that to the man!
ConnerIntenzifi
ConnerIntenzifi I had him booked just over a year ago and spoke about the scene and stuff, I got the impression he has lost his passion with all the shit that was going down and plastered over facebook etc.. Just fed up with it.

Although that is just my opinion!

Hopefully he gets the fire back as hardcore needs him firing on all cylinders.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by ConnerIntenzifi:
I had him booked just over a year ago and spoke about the scene and stuff, I got the impression he has lost his passion with all the shit that was going down and plastered over facebook etc.. Just fed up with it.

That's understandable, considering how many times Scott Brown has dissapeared :P
DjZelous
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
Originally posted by ConnerIntenzifi:
I had him booked just over a year ago and spoke about the scene and stuff, I got the impression he has lost his passion with all the shit that was going down and plastered over facebook etc.. Just fed up with it.

That's understandable, considering how many times Scott Brown has dissapeared :P

Yeah i remember he disappeared after hardwired 3 for a while
Samination Well you can't deny that Scott Brown is the one who has been the most active person in the UK, if not Global Hardcore scene.
Gazza1712 At the end of the summer last year he said he was getting his new studio up and running and then would be making new hardcore, he also said he had wrote lots of lyrics for new tracks so hopefully he gets back involved
wong
quote:
Originally posted by Gazza1712:
At the end of the summer last year he said he was getting his new studio up and running and then would be making new hardcore, he also said he had wrote lots of lyrics for new tracks so hopefully he gets back involved

what hixxy says and what hixxy does ......
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
quote:
Originally posted by Gazza1712:
At the end of the summer last year he said he was getting his new studio up and running and then would be making new hardcore, he also said he had wrote lots of lyrics for new tracks so hopefully he gets back involved

what hixxy says and what hixxy does ......

I think he often says things to appease those asking, saves the hassle of answering negative replies. Here's hoping he follows this one up.
Gazza1712 At the end of the summer last year he said he was getting his new studio up and running and then would be making new hardcore, he also said he had wrote lots of lyrics for new tracks so hopefully he gets back involved
djDMS ....He also said he's co-writing with a unicorn named Dave
Gazza1712 How weird that my post on this thread got posted again 2 days ago, I havnt even checked up on site for a little while!
The drunken scotsman Get the impression that he just isn't interested anymore. Hixxy is a big enough (no pun intended) legend in the scene to always pick up a decent number of bookings from his past glory regardless of whether he makes any new tunes or not. He's probably happy enough to do this and focus his time on other business ventures. A real shame as he was always one of my favourite dj's/producers.

Think it was in the HTID ITS Magaluf film last summer that he mentioned he was going to get back in the studio. But as already mentioned on this thread - what hixxy says and what hixxy does are two completely different things and always have been.
The drunken scotsman Back in the studio today according to Darren Style on Twitter. Looking forward to hearing some new material from him.
arpz Sweet :)

Don't forget, he did have some kind of health problems at some point, it wasn't *that* long ago that he was supposedly not supposed to fly to HTID ITS iirc so maybe that's why he's been out of the game a bit?
Craigavon raver He plays happy hardcore sets aswell, he plays at billy bunters I love happy hardcore events, think he's played at them all and is booked again for the next 1
Jaybee
quote:
Originally posted by fakka13k:
So , Obesity and pizza jokes aside what has happened to hixxy?

Lol, when Hixxy played for us in Los Angeles in 2007, so many people were convinced it wasn't Hixxy for some reason. I think they said he was "too fat to be Hixxy"
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybee:
quote:

Lol, when Hixxy played for us in Los Angeles in 2007, so many people were convinced it wasn't Hixxy for some reason. I think they said he was "too fat to be Hixxy"

Highly doubt most people who said that had ever seen him before that night.
Jaybee
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:

Highly doubt most people who said that had ever seen him before that night.

Probably not, but it was rather funny how quickly that got around.
wong Someone at summer gathering told me hes got a dodgy ticker, thats why he took a lot of time out. Whether true or not though ive no idea
SmashingTheSirens Dodgy ticker or not, he's playing Hyperbolic in my town this weekend. Should be fun, lots of Hyperbloic originals on the bill too
Captain Triceps
quote:
Someone at summer gathering told me hes got a dodgy ticker, thats why he took a lot of time out. Whether true or not though ive no idea

Wouldn't be too surprising, he'd put on a massive amount of weight, just look at pictures and videos of him from the 90s compared to now. We all fill out, but he was unnaturally big.
Hopefully it isn't true, or if it is then it's nothing too serious.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
Someone at summer gathering told me hes got a dodgy ticker, thats why he took a lot of time out. Whether true or not though ive no idea

Wouldn't be too surprising, he'd put on a massive amount of weight, just look at pictures and videos of him from the 90s compared to now. We all fill out, but he was unnaturally big.
Hopefully it isn't true, or if it is then it's nothing too serious.

Yeah even around 2006 he wasn't what I'd class as fat. But from then on he seemed to balloon up to the size of a sumo wrestler. I remember seeing him around 2012 and he could barely walk with the amount of weight he was carrying.
latininxtc
quote:

Well he did miss out on at least 2 sets for HTID ITS when I went back in 2012 because of a heart issue. He was only able to play one set and that was the waterpark party. Saw him at HTID USA last year and he looked like he lost some weight, but not much.

Anybody have pics of him before he really ballooned up? I'm curious to see how drastic a weight gain he's had.
Jaybee
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:

Well he did miss out on at least 2 sets for HTID ITS when I went back in 2012 because of a heart issue. He was only able to play one set and that was the waterpark party. Saw him at HTID USA last year and he looked like he lost some weight, but not much.

Anybody have pics of him before he really ballooned up? I'm curious to see how drastic a weight gain he's had.

Here is photos of him from the party I mentioned earlier. It took place May 2007 in Union Station train station in Los Angeles

Captain Triceps Older (younger?) Hixxy pictures:

Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
Back in the studio today according to Darren Style on Twitter. Looking forward to hearing some new material from him.

I hope that doesn't mean he's back in the studio with Darren Styles..

Don't get me wrong, the Hixxy & Styles tracks were some of the true '00s greats but I have a bad feeling about what a modern collab might sound like.

On that note, let's all take a moment to appreciate the majesty of tracks like Elevator and The Theme. Rushins and Takin' Over Me were fantastic as well.

Edit: It's kind of interesting though that, between these two titans of hardcore, they never managed to write a single original melody for their collabs. Still, you see this all the time. Sometimes I'll hear an old trance track or something and think "oh, so Hixxy just stole the melody from that". Happened to me recently with Sacrifice. Not trying to call out Hixxy specifically though; all the top tier were ripping off melodies from other genres. Probably less than 50% of all hardcore has any original composition. It's always been a genre based on theft. I've hardly ever used an unoriginal/unaltered melody in any of my hardcore and I'm quietly proud of that. :P
Sulphurik Hadn't realised about the health issues.

I hope the Raver Baby digital releases can get sorted, for unreleased tracks to be made available and to hear new tracks from Hixxy soon. An album would be great also, something I thought he'd have done by now. Maybe various compilations he's been involved with in the past inc. Bonkers and Clubland Xtreme Hardcore maybe made an artist album more difficult to do at that period but definately would be good to see him release his own solo album.

Definately one of the DJs/producers I've been a fan of and one of the first hardcore producers that got me listening to hardcore 20 years ago so usually look forward to hearing his tracks.
Sulphurik
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:
Back in the studio today according to Darren Style on Twitter. Looking forward to hearing some new material from him.

Don't get me wrong, the Hixxy & Styles tracks were some of the true '00s greats but I have a bad feeling about what a modern collab might sound like.

On that note, let's all take a moment to appreciate the majesty of tracks like Elevator and The Theme. Rushins and Takin' Over Me were fantastic as well.

Edit: It's kind of interesting though that, between these two titans of hardcore, they never managed to write a single original melody for their collabs. Still, you see this all the time. Sometimes I'll hear an old trance track or something and think "oh, so Hixxy just stole the melody from that". Happened to me recently with Sacrifice. Not trying to call out Hixxy specifically though; all the top tier were ripping off melodies from other genres. Probably less than 50% of all hardcore has any original composition. It's always been a genre based on theft.

Is that true about Hixxy & Styles never writing an original melody; I'd need to look into that. Taking over me - are few of the melodies from other tracks?

"Probably less than 50% of all hardcore has any original composition. It's always been a genre based on theft."

Less that 50% is original you say. I wouldn't agree with that.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
quote:
quote:

Edit: It's kind of interesting though that, between these two titans of hardcore, they never managed to write a single original melody for their collabs. Still, you see this all the time. Sometimes I'll hear an old trance track or something and think "oh, so Hixxy just stole the melody from that". Happened to me recently with Sacrifice. Not trying to call out Hixxy specifically though; all the top tier were ripping off melodies from other genres. Probably less than 50% of all hardcore has any original composition. It's always been a genre based on theft.

Is that true about Hixxy & Styles never writing an original melody; I'd need to look into that. Taking over me - are few of the melodies from other tracks?

"Probably less than 50% of all hardcore has any original composition. It's always been a genre based on theft."

Less that 50% is original you say. I wouldn't agree with that.

Takin' Me Over is the only one I'm a little bit unsure of. The only other tune I thought was original was Happiness but I heard that melody in a commercial dance track from the '90s a few years back.

It's always kinda disappointing when you accidentally stumble on the source material for some of your most loved hardcore tunes.

I suppose it depends where you're looking. If we're talking top tier, I really don't think I'm far off the mark with that estimate. I think Sy & Unknown and Styles did write a lot of original melodies though. Hixxy and Squad-E are the most obvious examples of guys who didn't.
DjZelous after Raver Baby stopped pressing vinyl hixxy just stopped being in the studio i guess, but at least hes not pulling a dj ham and charging 100 pounds for an album after 6+ years of nothing at all.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by DjZelous:
after Raver Baby stopped pressing vinyl hixxy just stopped being in the studio i guess, but at least hes not pulling a dj ham and charging 100 pounds for an album after 6+ years of nothing at all.

Hey bro. I think I just saw a comment of yours on a Harry Shotta vid on YouTube.

If we had hardcore MCs as good as some of the DNB dons like Shotta and Skiba, I would gladly listen to sets with MCs.

I think it might have been the Team Drumz DNB Fire In The Booth.
Jaybee Posted today
latininxtc
quote:
Posted today

There's that massive obnoxious cunt on the far left side. At least he did us a favor and kept his mouth close. Those teeth of his...

Elliott
quote:
Posted today

****ing hell. They look like they're out for a bingo night. And these are scene legends.

The top tier are getting a bit old for this, aren't they?
Samination That would mean they are just down to earth right? :P

IF anything, Hixxy is starting to look more like my dad when he was alive o.O
Is he secretly Polish? :P
GrahamC This is gonna sound dumb but who are the guy and lady with him? I have no idea :(
Samination i presume the guy to the left is mc storm
Elliott Yes that was dumb.
And yes that's MC Storm.

The woman in the middle? **** knows. Maybe she's Hixxy's feeder?
_Jay_

A vocalist, I suppose.

ConnerIntenzifi Girl in the middle is Storm's daughter Taryn.

Had Hixxy in Glasgow a couple of week's ago & he's really excited about the next year for Hardcore, he has his drive & enthusiam back & I could sense a big difference from a couple of years ago when I last had him up.

Major changes happening shortly he said so keep your eyes peeled! Also I asked him about Raverbaby digitals as a laugh & he said the licencing agreement (or something to that effect) with AATW has ended so he can now distrubute them freely which he hopes to happen early 2017, I mentioned how it was a running joke on here regarding it & we will never believe him, h laughed & just told me to wait & see.

Defo change in his attitude though so I'm looking forward to what may happen
Samination let's hope so :P

I tried to search for a source, but I keep finding my own posts about "hixxy promised that the raverbaby digitals where ready for release in already in may 2005"
Impulse_Response I'd like to cast my vote for Raver Baby digitals. Hopefully the Jelly Baby and album exclusive or other unreleased stuff, too. A 100 CD history of Hixxy pack.
Samination considering UFO still plays that horrendously distorted version of Music Makers, I wonder how much of the Raverbaby's will be out as digital
DjZelous Well, i would imagine hixxy still has all the raver baby DAT Tapes in a box in his house or studio tucked away in a corner somewhere. i highly doubt they are lost, and if they are lost, im pretty sure hixxy has all the raver baby releases and could rip them off the vinyl, which wont sound bad unless the records are in a shitty condition
Triquatra I'm not too fussed about Raver Baby to be fair, would be more interested in the older stuff from the 90s. It would be fantastic to have UFOs stuff, though, alot of it was lost in a major hard drive cash. It has been suggested that Hixxy may still have copies.

There are other top tier's who have DATs of brilliant unreleased oldies also, DATS from when the tracks were given to them to be released on their labels....

would be great to hear some of them and see them released.
Kind of feel with the way things are moving that the motivation to actually release the old stuff as time goes on will just fade and fade as people who are interested in the old stuff drop like flies.
Brainchild
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
I'm not too fussed about Raver Baby to be fair, would be more interested in the older stuff from the 90s. It would be fantastic to have UFOs stuff, though, alot of it was lost in a major hard drive cash. It has been suggested that Hixxy may still have copies.

There are other top tier's who have DATs of brilliant unreleased oldies also, DATS from when the tracks were given to them to be released on their labels....

would be great to hear some of them and see them released.
Kind of feel with the way things are moving that the motivation to actually release the old stuff as time goes on will just fade and fade as people who are interested in the old stuff drop like flies.

Wasn't Vinylgroover meant to be releasing his stuff digitally? As far as I am aware only one track was ever released but I think he said others were ready, but then nothing happened.

I would like to see a lot of of unreleased and released 90s tracks get released. There was 2 I found on YouTube made available but not to buy unfortunately

Sweet Thing by the Projek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z6lvitWDO4
and The Underground by Dyanoiss - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_vyOqkkmCo
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Brainchild:
Wasn't Vinylgroover meant to be releasing his stuff digitally? As far as I am aware only one track was ever released but I think he said others were ready, but then nothing happened.

Originally no, but he changed his mind last year
Elliott I don't know if i can be bothered with RB digitals tbh. I wore out most of those tracks years ago.

Pro-tip: if you want to actually monetise your digitals, don't wait 10 years to put them up.
Samination
quote:
I don't know if i can be bothered with RB digitals tbh. I wore out most of those tracks years ago.

Pro-tip: if you want to actually monetise your digitals, don't wait 10 years to put them up.

yea, now only people with nostalgia feeling will buy them
Triquatra We're all in retirement homes, my keeper only lets me on the internet for a few minutes each day.

state pension isn't enough to help cover costs of buying 90s mp3s, when we're organising our own funerals.

Vinylgroover released "time"....but I get the feeling as enthusiasm for the tracks has diminished, so has the motivation to put the tracks up. That's not referring to Vinylgroover specifically...but I would imagine that the effort it takes to get it all together isn't worth it for the lackluster response from the scene in general who are into the new stuff, and the over-excitement of a handful of us OAPs.

An album would get more tails wagging. But then....that's even more effort...when I'm guessing there are bigger fish to fry that take less effort and get more response?

I don't know.
pure speculation. ?\_(ツ)_/?

Samination We could ask Scott Brown, because he's the one who did a large batch of backcat releases the latest
Captain Triceps Luna-C has remastered and re-released a lot of his back catalogue as well. A few times, actually.
So there is a market. Although, Luna-C, Scott Brown and Vinylgroover's music was a lot different to one another.
Triquatra I'm not saying others haven't done it; I mean the beats 24/7 store as another example, James Venus briefly appeared and for a short amount of time made all the tracks he'd done freely downloadable...

But there is something to be said about momentum. I think some artists have it.

Momentum and motivation.

there is probably some sort of scientific formula in there somewhere vs result and reward or something.
Captain Triceps Gordon Tennant said all the Jolly Roger stuff would be available soon. This was a few years ago and I don't think it happened.
Hard2Get
quote:
Luna-C has remastered and re-released a lot of his back catalogue as well. A few times, actually.

The interesting thing is that he gave his entire back catalogue away for free for a long time.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
Luna-C has remastered and re-released a lot of his back catalogue as well. A few times, actually.

The interesting thing is that he gave his entire back catalogue away for free for a long time.

Yep, I grabbed it then!
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:

Yep, I grabbed it then!

Me too. Downloaded every single Kniteforce release and all the sublabels. Best 6 hours I'll never get back.
Samination I missed out on that, but then I had already bought the traks I prefered

It took 3.2 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page