Radio listeners 177+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Why The DJ is Obsolete - Blog Entry #2

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Claxton The last one was a huge success and stimulate superb debate on this forum. I hope this can do the same.

https://happyhardcoreblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/why-the-dj-is-obsolete/

quote:
Gradually, over the years, there has become more pressure upon producers to only play their own music when they?re playing out. This effect has only been amplified as more and more producers have started doing it. As discussed in my previous blog, the bigger names in Hardcore are absolutely hopeless at supporting the scene and other artists within it. This has had a knock on effect meaning that more and more artists have needed to play exclusively their own music because no one else is supporting it on the main stages. Hence why most live sets these days are production showcases and nothing more.

https://happyhardcoreblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/11/why-the-dj-is-obsolete/
DjZelous Sadly i must agree.
latininxtc Is it a coincidence that MC Emily made this post the same day your blog entry went up?

quote:
We are in a era now where every single up and comer deserves to make it! No matter how shit they can be apparently! no no it's fine your an up and comer so you have to get main stage coz it's not fair otherwise lol come on guys sometimes an artist just is not good enough can we accept that coz so far I've read recently every mc/dj their mum their nan or there dog deserves a shot lol "my dad owns a bar so **** it give him kick off set the word bar was mentioned"!! Lol really grinds my gears haha.

djDMS 'Why the DJ is obsolete'

Originally titled

'Why I don't get bookings'

;-)
ultraskool thanks for that article, a very interesting article, are you talking about the likes of Dj S3RL or even Scott Brown for that matter?
ViolonC I think a lot of it has to do with the producers having become the artists themselves. Classically the job of a producer was to get a band on record as good as possible. Surly they were involved with some creative decisions to varying degree, but the main job was to take care and be responsible for the recording and engineering. With dance music there is no band, in fact the producer is the band so he is now making all the creative decisions as well.

When you go out to see your favorite band you also want them to play their own tunes. A cover version here and there is nice but nothing more. As the producer is the band now there is not much difference. They lend their performance style from the DJs that were there before. So there are countless techniques and professional gear available. But they are not necessarily DJs in the old fashion sense and people that came to see their favorite "band" would be disappointed when they can't hear the music they came for.

In a sense it's a clash of cutures. But the DJMag TOP100 already shown us that the change has happened years ago. Old fashion DJs will still be around, because there are countless bars, clubs etc. where a person doing the music with a pulse to the people at the venue can do amazing things. But they won't be a big part of the top act for purely musical events. Because, let's face it, pure cover bands haven't been either ... with only a few exceptions to the rule.
Alabaster I think what you describe is a new iteration of an old phenomena. In the days of vinyl you not only booked the DJ, but also his record bag. The music was kept fresh and exciting because not every DJ had access to the same music. Now the record bad no longer exists and everyone has access to the same music, so that's what they play; the same music. The producer has the edge over the non-producing DJ because the producer has the capacity to keep things fresh by playing (their own) unreleased music.
lurker Don't mind me, I'm just waiting for Thumpa to jump in and call you full of shit.
wong
quote:
Originally posted by lurker:
Don't mind me, I'm just waiting for Thumpa to jump in and call you full of shit.

guessing you didnt read it ..?
Samination
quote:
Don't mind me, I'm just waiting for Thumpa to jump in and call you full of shit.

Too bad thumpa has already liked and said it was a good article on facebook? :P
Vladel Of course thumpa is going to like something that gives him credit.
arpz I enjoyed this post, and Fracus & Darwin had a sort of complementary post on FB too (pretty much about why they don't cain the anthems and that new music is required to prevent the scene becoming stale)

"You could play a weak song 1000 times and it would still get a weak reaction" - Gammer

Is that some kind of retaliation or am I just being oversensitive?
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
"You could play a weak song 1000 times and it would still get a weak reaction" - Gammer

Is that some kind of retaliation or am I just being oversensitive?

Coming from Gammer it's kinda hard to know. Sometimes his serious (with us being haters) and sometimes he's just taking the piss (being the god of new happy hardcore).
djDMS Have to admit, he has a point.
arpz Yes, but if it's a dig then there's no call for it and its a bit pessimistic isn't it? If you assume for a second that it is some kind of veiled reply then isn't he just saying "new stuff is shit, play more drake"..?
arpz That isn't really what I meant.. I'm having trouble explaining it but basically its just defeatist as **** if it is a reply
Samination fck me, i'm famous
djDMS Didn't say I agree with him, just that he has a point.

It's not pessimistic to say not all new music is fantastic, but obviously an explanation would have cleared up any confusion. I don't pay any attention to what he does anymore so can't put it into context.

It's a point worth debating, just don't want to hijack Ben's topic with it!
Bring Me Round To Love Gammer keeps using the name Happy Hardcore to describe that sped up edm rubbish he makes

The music in this Maoam Advert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I59XOttwZLg Sums up what all gammer tracks sound like

Some of these artist such has gammer and maybe even styles would love to jump ship into that edm big room boring fart fest that has invaded our shores, yet they are too scared to let go of the wheel, trying to change the ship from within, too scared to jump because they won't be captains of the bigger ships.
lurker
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
quote:

guessing you didnt read it ..?

Got me there. I actually read it now, it's pretty good. Think I'll stick to Arena 5 if I ever "make it" though. :P

quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
It's a point worth debating, just don't want to hijack Ben's topic with it!

Unfortunately the poster right above me doesn't agree with you!
ViolonC
quote:
Originally posted by Bring Me Round To Love:
Some of these artist such has gammer and maybe even styles would love to jump ship into that edm big room boring fart fest that has invaded our shores, yet they are too scared to let go of the wheel, trying to change the ship from within, too scared to jump because they won't be captains of the bigger ships.

I don't think they want to jump ship. If so they would have a few years ago. And then they would just be another mid tier fish in the EDM sea.

They want to be the tip of progress, evolve UK Hardcore further. They have proven themselves in the scene but i can understand that just pumping out track after track by a proven scheme may pay the bills but is pretty boring for an artist. Doing something new and crossing borders will get you flak from people that like the old style.

Hardcore would actually have died if it hadn't evolved so much over time. I'm always amazed how different tracks from different years sound, yet they are all under the same umbrella and the main rules for the genre never really changed. Some will like it, some will not. A lot will like mainly what the got introduced with. And in 3 years the next thing will influence UK Hardcore and those who liked the trap elements will hate "that new bollocks".
Thumpa
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
Of course thumpa is going to like something that gives him credit.

I'm not that shallow. I'm a spokesperson for this music and I'm usually bang on with my opinions as I know my stuff and I know how music works and I know how a business model works, even if I didn't DJ and was just a fan of the music I would agree with Ben's blog too. I come from a time where everyone played each other's music and most big tunes became anthems, plus I know my history.

I don't need anyone to feed my ego in a blog post, I know what I do and I know more importantly what I stand for, good varied music.

Samination Well, 10 years from now no one will be able to play classics anyways, because *cough* said business model only allows for 300 releases *cough*
ViolonC There have been studies that the music that is played "on the radio" (a.k.a. pop music) today is less diverse than it was 20, 40 and 60 years ago. Ergo the same tunes are played more often.
lurker What? I have a feeling you're referring to these two studies (probably indirectly through a news article about one of them). The first one says nothing about the number of tracks on rotation. The second one does correlate a genre's complexity with both the number of artists and the popularity of that genre (which still doesn't distinguish individual tracks but it gets closer), but it can't really apply to hardcore since the data set seems to be artist albums only.
Either way, studies on this scale always focus on elements that separate different genres of acoustic music from each other way more than different genres of EDM. The first one uses dynamics as a major focus, while the second one revolves around which instruments are listed on an album's Discogs listing. For the first one, who's going to master EDM at -20 dB? For the second, most EDM doesn't use any physical instruments, so a grand majority of their entries are just going to say "synthesizer" and nothing else. Using these to say anything in-depth about hardcore is ********.
The number of different songs playing on the radio has a lot more to do with how the music industry works than the music itself, anyway.
ViolonC Please cite me where i said anything about hardcore.

quote:
The number of different songs playing on the radio has a lot more to do with how the music industry works than the music itself, anyway.

This on the other hand is true for Hardcore as well.
lurker Maybe I went off-topic with that second paragraph, but I think I made it pretty clear in the first one that neither study has anything to do with the number of songs being played.

It took 1.05 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page