Radio listeners 152+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 BIG UP THE MC WHIZZKID

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
DJ Sketchy I am guilty of not bigging this man up enough during a complicated time for me. Gordon Mc Whizzkid is a very down to earth man. He's very fun and respectful. He once took the piss out of me for making exclamation brackets with my fingers haha. An understandable response from arguably the No.1 MC in the Hardcore scene. I hope EDC get him to join Darren Styles & Gammer at a future booking for their event. He deserves it. MC Storm did EDC years ago. I just feel MC Whizzkid should be next up. I will maybe add to my feelings here in a later post. I feel my embrace has been communicated. He's a G! ;)
Captain Triceps What in the devils briefcase are 'exclamation brackets'?
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
What in the devils briefcase are 'exclamation brackets'?

When you make 'finger' 'finger' exclamation of a word for comedic value. It's an instant fail around the street wise, trust me.
trippnface Darren styles?

Gammer?

The hardcore scene?

I don't see anything in common with these factors. Maybe if you had a time machine?

Couldn't even pay me to go to EDC and listen to their butchered ********. Might go for some real DNB artists though.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
Darren styles?

Gammer?

The hardcore scene?

I don't see anything in common with these factors. Maybe if you had a time machine?

Couldn't even pay me to go to EDC and listen to their butchered ********. Might go for some real DNB artists though.

There's no avoiding the international domination of the Insomniac brand (EDC etc). They are a powerful team to be a part of. They take good care of their artists, bookings wise too!
latininxtc MC Whizzkid is an awful sounding twat who I dislike far less than Shitstorm only because he's never been openly involved in the drama in the hardcore scene.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
MC Whizzkid is an awful sounding twat who I dislike far less than Shitstorm only because he's never been openly involved in the drama in the hardcore scene.

You're entitled to your opinion. I think MC Whizzkid has been wise ducking out of controversy.
Samination Atleast better than Storm or Keyes, sadly I would prefer less MCing in general
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Atleast better than Storm or Keyes, sadly I would prefer less MCing in general

If we're going to base this solely on MCing skills, I would have to sadly say that Shitstorm is the least worst of these 3, with Keyes being the worst of the three. He's so awful that North America should permanently ban him from entering this continent. Let him ruin the events in the UK, which sadly now includes HU events.
trippnface BAN MC'S - BRING BACK VOCAL HARDCORE
arpz
quote:
BAN MC'S - BRING BACK VOCAL HARDCORE

latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
quote:

Why are some of your posts blank? Or are you posting something that for some reason my phone can't display?
DJ Sketchy
quote:
MC Whizzkid is an awful sounding twat who I dislike far less than Shitstorm only because he's never been openly involved in the drama in the hardcore scene.

Just to touch on what I should have said earlier. Your language is very insulting and disrespectful to those involved.
arpz
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why are some of your posts blank? Or are you posting something that for some reason my phone can't display?

no, just quoting to 'second' the sentiment really. I don't actually mind an MC but I much prefer a host to a 32 bar 'rap god'
DJ Sketchy Ok. I've just hooked up MC Whizzkid to this thread. So best behaviour everyone! ;)
trippnface
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

no, just quoting to 'second' the sentiment really. I don't actually mind an MC but I much prefer a host to a 32 bar 'rap god'

I rather like it sometimes; actually. As long as it is not at a rave; over the hardcore. ;)

This is pretty cool!

https://www.facebook.com/CoreCyphers/videos/1054535971318223/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE
DJ Sketchy Let's roll free with some opinions! You all have freedom of speech. What do you like about the MC world? What do you want changed? Etc. Whizzkid will be watching!
Captain Triceps I think a rave is missing something without MCs, but I prefer the 90s style host, rather then the "talk-as-fast-as-you-can" MC. Obviously some people prefer the rappers, I, personally, just don't. I'd sooner hear someone bigging up the crowd, generating noise etc, than someone talking about drugs and violence over happy music.

I've only met Whizzkid briefly a couple of times, and he was a stand up bloke every time.

Whizzkid, if you are reading this - I remember a while ago you had a lyric, "Well it's 1998 now, I said it's 1998, I got a feeling in my body that I just can't shake and it's making me feel so great - hey!" - not heard it for about 18 years, it'd be nice to bust that out again :)
DJ Sketchy When I was Westfest. I found a very similar setup to how all the MCs operate. Just each MC will have their own presence & stage moves. I've always found MC Whizzkid taking a relaxed style, but on the money with his spitting & crowd control & interaction. Skill!
DJ Sketchy "I DON'T DISS THIS MATE, THIS IS HARDCORE!" MC Whizzkid
Samination WE (the MCs) KILLED THE RAVE, literally... :P
SmashingTheSirens MC Marley, Sharkey, Freestyle and Ronnie G. Proper MCs, never tried to out do the music but instead complement it. Whizzkid is probably the least egotistical, well from where I'm sitting, and is my favourite of what's about in the forefront of hardcore. Modern day hardcore is set up production wise for these guys to spit 32 bars of rhetoric. It's just how it is
arpz Marley is 100% one of my favs, shame he's retiring
DJ Sketchy Whizzkid just liked the post I made on Facebook linking him to this page. So his eyes are on us!
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Marley is 100% one of my favs, shame he's retiring

Is he? Blimey.
arpz lmao! Shit! everyone hide!
arpz
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sketchy:
quote:

Is he? Blimey.

Yeah, I think he's doing a few more bits but after 2016 that's it for the most part I think. He's on about writing a book though :)
DJ Sketchy
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sketchy:
quote:

Is he? Blimey.

Yeah, I think he's doing a few more bits but after 2016 that's it for the most part I think. He's on about writing a book though :)

Yeah a few peeps are getting into the book game! Sure it will be a good read!
Captain Triceps I loved Luna-C's book and Bunter's was great as well, I hope a few more do it. I hope Vibes does one, and I could imagine Seduction's would be decent. Slipmatt too.
arpz Loved Luna-C's and recently Terry Turbo's as well. Some interesting Slipmatt shenanigans in that one :)
Captain Triceps
quote:
Loved Luna-C's and recently Terry Turbo's as well. Some interesting Slipmatt shenanigans in that one :)

Is Terry Turbo's worth a buy then? I'd completely forgotten about it actually.
Man Parris is writing one that could be interesting too.
arpz Yeah I reckon it is, It's obviously quite a bit slanted towards DNB but it's a good read and reads a bit like one of those gangster books, pretty decent.

One I cannot recommend enough is an older one called 'Class of 88' by Wayne Anthony who ran the illegal 'Genesis' raves back in the day. I've read that a couple of times, it's brilliant. He made a PDF available of it years ago which you can find here - http://www.fantazia.org.uk/Scene/Class%20of%2088.pdf
Captain Triceps Cheers mate. I was actually having a look at that Class of '88 just now. Fuck me though, so expensive to buy these books on Amazon. I don't really like reading digital books but I might have to make an exception in this case.
arpz Yeah that one is long out of print so ridiculously expensive. I would try and force yourself to read it digitally, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Yeah that one is long out of print so ridiculously expensive. I would try and force yourself to read it digitally, I promise you won't be disappointed.

I'm gonna have a go for definite. I'm not anti e-books or whatever, I just prefer to have the real thing. Suppose I could use the ipad for it.
arpz The only problem is the fact it's PDF, it's not quite so nice to read as a proper ebook
MC Deecee You gotta love whizzkid, how can anyone not? Been in the game s8nce the earlier days so knows his stuff 100 percent and a nice bloke with it, always found him very humble, always spot on. I'll never forget at an event a few months ago where the next MC after him was running slightly late so I got asked on as stand in, and as he'd obviously brought his own microphone with him, apart from nobody could actually find the venues one, so whizzkid simply says "ahh I'm sorry mate" and presented me with an empty xlr cable haha, I laugh about it every time I have seen him since. And yeah after about 2 minutes the mic was found lol
arpz He's straight up, not too stuck up to have a chat or a picture or whatever. I rate him
skarr Apparently keyes has put a stop to storn, whizzkid and squad e playing at uproar.
arpz
quote:
Originally posted by skarr:
Apparently keyes has put a stop to storn, whizzkid and squad e playing at uproar.

Haha christ. Link?
skarr No link I'm afraid, just word on the street,
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Apparently keyes has put a stop to storn, whizzkid and squad e playing at uproar.

And here was me thinking that Storm is the 'governing force' in hardcore lol.
Mickey Init
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
quote:

I heard Storm was putting a stop to Uproar.

skarr
quote:
quote:

Already had this conversation, not gonna get into it again, I'm surprised whizzkid is taking orders off keyes though, maybe he is more involved in their nasty little group than we originally knew, and just isn't as public about it.
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:
quote:

Already had this conversation, not gonna get into it again, I'm surprised whizzkid is taking orders off keyes though, maybe he is more involved in their nasty little group than we originally knew, and just isn't as public about it.

Like that prick Juntao from Rush Hour.
CDJay As someone very much in and out of the loop, like Schrodinger cat mk5, I can say with assurance that any nasty little group is not actually directly related to Keyes. I get the same thing, as I was Nostradamus (infallibly) on USH and am yet to be forgiven.

The lone reason we haven't folded and fled genre is that new link. Whatever has come prior, wherever associations exist, you're barking at the wrong tree stump. Change is problematic; the best way to stave it off is referential glory and division of effective competition. It's now over. Merit, ideas and execution *will* win. Whatever past-derived new setbacks to us occur in the present short term.... they will not endure.

Even today I see the gilded thrones set out with no seat afforded, as per, whilst we scrambled to make the wider scene durable and relevant. Until now I would have felt excluded, undermined, amd compromised. Today I see entitled princesses getting new heels when a hike is looming. Good luck to them.

CDJay

arpz
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
As someone very much in and put of the loop, like Schrodinger cat mk5, I can say with assurance that a nasty little group is not actually directly related to Keyes. I get the same thing, as I was Nostradamus (infallibly) on USH and am yet to be forgiven.

The lone reason we haven't folded and fled genre is that new link. Whatever has come prior, wherever associations exist, you're barking at the wrong tree stump. Change is problematic; the best way to stave it off is referential glory and division of effective competition. It's now over. Merit, ideas and execution *will* win. Whatever short term past-derived new setbacks present in the short term the will not endure.

Even today I see the gilded thrones set out with no seat afforded, as we scrambled to make the wider scene durable and relevant. Until now I would have felt excluded, undermined, amd compromised. Today I see entitled princesses getting new heels when a hike is looming. Good luck to them.

CDJay

If the link is good for 'the scene' as a whole then it's all good but you can't really blame people for casting aspersions using the only information that's available to them. Unfortunately, because precisely no one ever want to specify anything concrete, all that's left in the mind of anyone 'not in the know' is an image of people cutting whichever deal suits them at the time and then claiming it's going to be the making of the genre.

I hope it is
Mickey Init CDJay, what's your favourite book (or top 3, even) and do you have a favourite author?
CDJay Quite partial to Mitch Rapp, and increasingly thinking that attitudes portrayed are more likely effective than the hippy love parade so far offered.

CDJay
skarr
quote:
As someone very much in and out of the loop, like Schrodinger cat mk5, I can say with assurance that any nasty little group is not actually directly related to Keyes. I get the same thing, as I was Nostradamus (infallibly) on USH and am yet to be forgiven.

The lone reason we haven't folded and fled genre is that new link. Whatever has come prior, wherever associations exist, you're barking at the wrong tree stump. Change is problematic; the best way to stave it off is referential glory and division of effective competition. It's now over. Merit, ideas and execution *will* win. Whatever past-derived new setbacks to us occur in the present short term.... they will not endure.

Even today I see the gilded thrones set out with no seat afforded, as per, whilst we scrambled to make the wider scene durable and relevant. Until now I would have felt excluded, undermined, amd compromised. Today I see entitled princesses getting new heels when a hike is looming. Good luck to them.

CDJay

Sorry but I have no idea what your talking about, are you trying to say that keyes hasn't put a stop to whizz storm and squad playing uproar?
Captain Triceps
quote:
Sorry but I have no idea what your talking about

Haha! I sometimes wish this site had a CDJay>plain English translate feature.
CDJay I have no idea about that, all I know is that where the established order have literally run things into the ground both Ravers Reunited and Hardcore Underground are 10 years deep and have had to fight tooth and nail for every victory. They've grown even as everything else tanked.

Part of the genius of the establishment is preserving divides as it stops any genuine competition emerging; and as you can likely sense from my heated tone I got wind of yet another HU-Exclusion-Power-Play yesterday and am *so* *SO* very tired of it.

I/We have RELENTLESSLY tried to work for the wider scene, with the wider scene, and no matter how many times that is thrown back in our face we keep on truckin'.

With a HH album due for release in under a fortnight, I have no idea how we end up excluded from these things by default; I'd object a lot less if I thought anyone was offering up useful ideas or alternatives.

Bleugh? Bleugh.

CDJay

skarr
quote:
I have no idea about that, all I know is that where the established order have literally run things into the ground both Ravers Reunited and Hardcore Underground are 10 years deep and have had to fight tooth and nail for every victory. They've grown even as everything else tanked.

Part of the genius of the establishment is preserving divides as it stops any genuine competition emerging; and as you can likely sense from my heated tone I got wind of yet another HU-Exclusion-Power-Play yesterday and am *so* *SO* very tired of it.

I/We have RELENTLESSLY tried to work for the wider scene, with the wider scene, and no matter how many times that is thrown back in our face we keep on truckin'.

With a HH album due for release in under a fortnight, I have no idea how we end up excluded from these things by default; I'd object a lot less if I thought anyone was offering up useful ideas or alternatives.

Bleugh? Bleugh.

CDJay

What's is it your excluded from ? As the 'rogue squad' seem to be doing alright.
CDJay It will all become clear; expect hooj international things to happen with zero HU involvement (even though we lead the international scene for years, back when it "didn't matter", and F&D were "only big in Japan", and selling tens of thousands of CDs worldwide)

Meh.

CDJay
arpz I hope one day someone writes a massive expos? about it all
Mickey Init Who owns Uproar now then?
skarr
quote:
It will all become clear; expect hooj international things to happen with zero HU involvement (even though we lead the international scene for years, back when it "didn't matter", and F&D were "only big in Japan", and selling tens of thousands of CDs worldwide)

Meh.

CDJay

How can hu be getting left out of things when f&d are calling themselves 'the rogue squad', that's just crazy., surely no one would ignore them with a name like that, makes them sound well 'ard.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Init:
Who owns Uproar now then?

I'm not positive of this either. I know it was the HTID camp for a while. Not sure if that's still the case.
Elipton
quote:
It will all become clear; expect hooj international things to happen with zero HU involvement (even though we lead the international scene for years, back when it "didn't matter", and F&D were "only big in Japan", and selling tens of thousands of CDs worldwide)

Meh.

CDJay

Completely misread the OP.
'Expect' instead of 'except' xD
Mickey Init I thought this might've gathered speed by now. Either people don't know or people don't want to say.
CDJay If nothing else, what truly winds me up is how woefully underutilised we are. I get that the major players are convinced they are royalty and inherently better than us or anything we do or could ever do. It's hardly a secret that the only way to get cred in this scene is to succeed outside it. Stature in the past was based off platforms, at least *use* us ffs. How can anyone look at the past 5 years and conclude HU is an outfit not worth engaging with. It's criminally stupid. I propose a death sentence.

CDJay
djDMS If only the average raver could see beyond names and perceived status.
CDJay I think they can. I also think aspiring types are finally seeing the glass ceiling is unbreakable if you approach from below.

Grassroots revolution and public hanging of the autocracy in 2017 is feasible. The irony is I think it will be them tying their own nooses.

I really did try to be nice, reasonable and fair. For years, met with staggering ignorance and indifference. Remember that if I seem atypically harsh, blunt, disregarding and demeaning in future months. Cruel to be kind, greater good, wheat/chaff, yada. A war has two parties fighting, and I don't see any fighters left. Pretty relic armour, maybe.

CDJay

djDMS To be honest,I reckon you've done well to hold back for so long.

What happens next is others doing, not yours
CDJay See, that's not what I think. We've held back for common good, long and lonely. On a level playing field it's not even a competition. Castles and thrones are misleading, revolutions are borne of dischord and discontent..

Step back, and look at what has actually been done, released, executed and capitalised upon in the past few years. Imagine the industrial revolution creeping towards the world known. Look at weaponry, wit and warranted malice.

Place your bets.

CDJay
CDJay ... And if you read that and think "that's overly dramatic" you're right. It's all depressingly needless.

CDJay
Elipton You're a reasonably big operation with a big reputation. Don't you think that after such event successes that HU could have an events team or something?

I personally feel like if there's a pool of artists, connections and experience, you could do it. The problem is, you'd need other people to help and take on responsibility. I know you're passionate about HU, but hopefully not so much that you're afraid to take risks (I know you take risks with every release, but I mean taking a plunge into a new area of the industry. After all, it's reasonably well known now that there's more money in events than in the music itself).

You mention that you don't get a look in with other labels and they're doing stuff without HU, but could that be a problem? You're telling us, and could that damage other peers' trust in you?

I think HU events would be a nice thing - sort of like Hospitality by Hospital. Your artists tend to play at all these events, it's a shame they don't play at many organised by yourselves.
CDJay We're setting up an international tour for early next year; as far as the UK goes we'll keep working with RR, and SV.

I *hate* running events.

CDJay
Samination
quote:
We're setting up an international tour for early next year; as far as the UK goes we'll keep working with RR, and SV.

I *hate* running events.

CDJay

doesn't the international tour start next sunday? :P
CDJay I'm posting out hh albums, this not there. It only counts if I am.

CDJay
Samination I meant friday, but I guess you understood what I meant :P
latininxtc
quote:

Meh.

CDJay

Wait, is that your way of saying that next year's HTID USA may not have Fracus & Darwin on the lineup??? And if they get a hardcore stage at EDC like I've heard they've been trying to do they won't be there either???
arpz Ajay gets binned off from HTID (or quits, depending on who you listen to) due to Storm
HU don't appear at HTID again

Rabbit hole?
Elipton
quote:
Ajay gets binned off from HTID (or quits, depending on who you listen to) due to Storm

Rabbit hole?

Sounds like they need to open up a dialogue and try to do things right.

At this point Jay could be Luke and Ajay is Obi Wan.
latininxtc
quote:
Ajay gets binned off from HTID (or quits, depending on who you listen to) due to Storm

Rabbit hole?

Maybe it's HU's recent association with Keyes that could cost them bookings with HTID. If they lose gigs to play at HTID USA and HTID ITMS because of it, well clearly that association is costing them more than being around Keyes is worth.
CDJay LoL if that happens it's nothing to do with associations with Keyes.

Also if that happens once the Blu-ray is out.... :/

CDJay

latininxtc
quote:
LoL if that happens it's nothing to do with associations with Keyes.

Also if that happens once the Blu-ray is out.... :/

CDJay

I think the Blu Ray project coming out this late probably isn't helping HU. It should have been your #1 priority to get it released ASAP.
CDJay Completely agree; this is the fastest we've been able to do it.

We could have rushed it out, but it wouldn't have been what it should have been, and we've always had to be willing to play the long game. Premises move didn't just impact our ability to do this properly; it also compromised our ability to execute other projects and maintain the day to day operations. This was further compounded by our new website being 10 months late, at this point. It's essentially done, now, but still.

What I found truly alarming was that HU essentially took a 6 month break to future proof our outfit, and literally no-one (aside from Thumpa / A.B) either took advantage of the platform we'd built or did anything else visibly useful away from it.

CDJay
DJ Sketchy THIS IS A STICK UP!

HANDS IN THE AIR!!!

Haha. Always gets my hands up ;)
trippnface
quote:
quote:

Meh.

CDJay

Wait, is that your way of saying that next year's HTID USA may not have Fracus & Darwin on the lineup??? And if they get a hardcore stage at EDC like I've heard they've been trying to do they won't be there either???

waaaaowww ; not sure that is a good idea lol.

and i duno how i feel about HTID USA with no f& d...... i would only be ok if they were replaced with like... 4 current GOOD uk hardcore producers

HTID USA with no f&d; and s & g........ meh
CDJay To clarify, I wasn't talking about HTID USA directly. That said, I wouldn't presume inclusion; we might need to mobilise the troops a bit.

CDJay
DJ Sketchy
quote:
I have no idea about that, all I know is that where the established order have literally run things into the ground both Ravers Reunited and Hardcore Underground are 10 years deep and have had to fight tooth and nail for every victory. They've grown even as everything else tanked.

Bleugh? Bleugh.

CDJay

Yeah nuff respect to yourselves at Hardcore Underground CDJay, and Ravers Reunited! Thankful that Slammin' Vinyl are still a dominating force in the Hardcore scene, well the rave scene as a whole.
latininxtc
quote:
To clarify, I wasn't talking about HTID USA directly. That said, I wouldn't presume inclusion; we might need to mobilise the troops a bit.

CDJay

Simply put for me if Fracus and Darwin aren't booked to play, then I'm not going to be flying out to this. Or take a megabus to this if it just so happens to be in Dallas.
djDMS
quote:
Simply put for me if Fracus and Darwin aren't booked to play, then I'm not going to be flying out to this.

Me either :-P
Captain Triceps Same here.

It took 4.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page