Total online 1573
 Radio listeners 168+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Yet another question about DJing from me...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
xxxFRIARxxx What styli/cartredges would anyone recommend to someone who is buying a pair of his first tables?

Also, what in the HECK are "pitched" turntables?

*EDIT*
Also, if I wanted to name myself "DJ Friar" and there already is a "DJ Friar Tuck", do you think this is acceptable?

The early bird gets the worm.
The second mouse gets the cheese.
Matt Biafra as far as cartridges go, unless you want to drop some serious cash on otofon's...i'd say go with the shure M44G these sound great and work excelent to mix as well as to scratch with.

As far as "pitched turntables" - I think you are refering to the +/- 10% on most decks. This is used to beat match to records, so you get them locked in on the same bpm, otherwise you would be limited to only playing records that were the exact same bpm together.

I hope I've been of some help.

- Matt

DJ Mouse matt's wrong about pitched decks.
if a deck is pitched,it has been modified. most decks go to +/- 8 but some go to 10. if a deck is pitched it has been adjusted inside so that it can go higher,eg on 1210's these can be pitched to +16 instead of +8.
my advice,don't pitch your decks till the warranty runs out coz this affects the warranty and if your decks fry,you've had it

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"
xxxFRIARxxx Any advice on the DJ name yet?

-Friar

*EDIT*

Also, do cartridges come with styli? or do I have to order those separate too?

Lixx Cartridges come with stylii but when they wear out instead of needing to buy whole new cartridges you can just buy replacement stylii.
-Lixx

xxxFRIARxxx Lixx, you don't know WHAT a help you've been on my conquest to become a DJ. But, in spite of what everyone has told me, I have but one more question:

Do I go with the Vestax PMC-03A mixer

or

Do I go with the Gemini PS-626PRO 2 mixer?

-Friar. (Still waiting for an answer to that DJ Friar question)

Lixx I don't have any experience with the Vestax one, but Vestax's higher range mixers are really nice. The gemini is a great budget mixer, 3 channels with eq's and a nice loud headphone circuit for under $120. I like it, and I know DJ Mouse likes his as well. Faders are holding up perfectly in the six months I've had it so I'd recommend it for sure.
-Lixx

PS: I don't see a problem with the name, especially if the guy doesn't spin hardcore.

xxxFRIARxxx Nice...Lixx, you are the MOST HELPFUL online person I've ever met. You and DJ Mouse should both be commended for your "customer service" of sorts.

Thank you both for your help. I hope the future smiles brightly upon your kind soul.

(Don't know where that came from...)

-Friar

DJ Mouse hehe cheers m8 :) and damn right i love my mixer, it's got everything i need on it. the only thing it lacks is kill switches,but i can get around that with the eq on it. as for vestax,i've only played one set with a vestax mixer and i liked it,get either of them and you won't be disappointed :)

DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"
Dj Tripnosis ya, dude, i Like the Dj Friar name, has a certain ring to it. I'm pretty sure it wont matter about " dj Friar Tuck" . If he himself doesn't say anything to ya than it doesn't really mateer in the slightest

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -
StrifeII Lets put it this way. How many DJ XTC's are there. Thousands!!! And thats not even the same, you're fine with friar. If i was you i'd go for stanton 500al, you cant go wrong with them. I have the more expensive Stanton Craze 520SK and it rocks!!!

I'M KING OF THE WORLD!! uh oh big wave!!!
DJ Mouse and i ain't the only dj mouse either.
only the best will make it,so make it big before they do and you're sorted

M.C Menace The name DJ frier is cool, and you don't have to worry about dj frier tuck he can't touch you unless you put in tuck at the end of you name.

M.C MENACE
RowanF if friar tuck yells at you just say"i meant the thing you put frozen fries in at mcdonalds to cook them"

as for the mixer, i have no complaints about my Pioneer DJM-500 :)

xxxFRIARxxx Thanks for the positive feedback guys. (Friar, like mcdonalds? LOL!)

See you on the other side...

-Friar

(PS...menace is ALL OVER the boards, kinda like I was when I first started on this board.)

M.C Menace Hey i just have alot to say. lol

M.C Menace - were raving from 7 till 11 were ravin in a hardcore heaven
Peter_Gozenya <~~~~~~~ Loves his techs pitched 16 over, it is the only way to go if you play HHC. But i would recomend to do it after your warranty expires.

Just cause your smart doesn't mean you can't act stupid!!!
DiamondDog I've had 2 626's and found they're ok for a budget mixer. I've got ortofon cartridges and they never skip, but at £90 a pair then they might be a bit out of your range.

Would Tommy Kirkwood, and Lynne come to the surge tent out front immediately, this is proper urgent.
Peter_Gozenya ortofons suck butt. They eat your records up and thier sound reproduction is a joke. You need to get the shure M44-G These are the best carts. out there, other than the Shure M44-7.

DiamondDog Are you talking about the same ortofons as me? I'm talking about concordes, often thought of as one of the best cartridges available with excellent sound reproduction.

Would Tommy Kirkwood, and Lynne come to the surge tent out front immediately, this is proper urgent.
Peter_Gozenya yes we are talking about the same needles, the DJ's They eat your records up alot!!! However ortofon just released a revised version of all thier needles, I do not know how these ones match up compared to their older ones. But yeah ortofons are not the choice if you tend to play your records alot. The ortofon Night Club are AWSOME for recording though. I do have to give them that. But if you want your tracks to last a long time with hardley any sound loss, you shoud invest in the Shure M44-G, and if you scratch there is no better needle than the Shure M44-7. And as far as ortofons and record wear, I have experieced it first hand. With only 2.5 grams of weight ever ran, and skating at 0.

Annex actually i'm just curious about something, and i figure this thread would be a good place to start...

someday i'd love to have the cash to get decks and learn to dj the happycore *purrrs*

but in the mean time! i'm poor and actually just ordered my first vinyl ever... (til the day ;)

i've actually got.. 2 turntables in my house.. just old crap from when my uncle was an audiophile i think... they of course have nothing for djing... in fact only one of them has +/- 10 pitch.. and it's a lil dial that's hidden away, lol

anyhoo! the point is, they haven't been used in a long ass time! and before i put til the day in (when i get it, lol) i'm thinking its gonna need at the very least a new needle... (mom doesn't want any lp's put in till it has one either, lol)
and... of course i'd like to be able to use one, just to listen to vinyl as i collect em ;)

anyhoo dunno if it matters but...
one is a 'C.E.C Chou Denki' direct drive... st630..... the other is a Sony PS-X7 also direct drive

how do i got about replacing needles? doooooooooooo i need a new 'cart' lol yes i'm a newbie to this...
and how do i know???
what should i look for?? etc?

Potatoe
DJ Mouse try play a record on them. if the tone arm skates right across the record OR it sounds really awful when playing,then you need some new needles. if it's not broken then don't mend it,so if it plays with no problems leave it alone.

but be warned,needles aren't cheap coz they have a diamond chip on the end

"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse
Annex fully aware that their expensive as heck
but also 100% sure i need new needles ;)

but that's the big part of my question
how can i tell if i need new heads as well??

Potatoe

It took 1.56 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page