Radio listeners 188+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 DJ Sy Appreciation Society

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Kebab Head No matter what your opinion is on the matter leave it out of this thread as theres others.....

Post any tunes or mixes from the hardcore legend and lets show Sy that his music will still be around for a long time to come and still be enjoyed....

one of my favorite mixes is right here...

http://youtu.be/aQm8TDFkzco

sick mix this bouncy as ****
Triquatra Love this track so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjMsi2Qv0y8

B.E.A.Utiful.

if anyone can tell me if the strings etc are original or not at 3:10 I would be very thankful :)
The Dopeman
djchexmixer
Lasgo - All Night Long (Sy & Unknown Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghj3ZRfZxk
Waaaay better than the original... and that Sy scratching from the Hardcore Heaven 3 album over this track.... damn... insane. Listened to this countless times.

Sy & Unknown feat Lou Lou - Don't Leave Me Now
Beautiful lyrics, an amazing song.
wong
quote:
Originally posted by djchexmixer:

Lasgo - All Night Long (Sy & Unknown Remix)

yay

quote:
Originally posted by djchexmixer:

Sy & Unknown feat Lou Lou - Don't Leave Me Now
Beautiful lyrics, an amazing song.

nay
versia the truth is that i often find that sy & unknown tracks are really quite bland.

there are quite a few good remixes of their tracks though, scott brown's remix of bring me round to love is awesome.
djchexmixer
quote:
Originally posted by versia:
scott brown's remix of bring me round to love is awesome.

Took me a while to be able to listen to that song again, haha. Everyone and their mother played that song when it first came out. Fun song for sure.
Quicksilver Last week I've been very fond of Breeze vs Lost Witness - Rise Again (Sy & Unknown Remix)! I never even bothered with it until now, and now I find it to be better than the original.

He's been involved in soooo many good tunes.
versia
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Last week I've been very fond of Breeze vs Lost Witness - Rise Again (Sy & Unknown Remix)! I never even bothered with it until now, and now I find it to be better than the original.

actually i must admit, that one is a bit of a stomper. was there ever a full wav release?

DJSquare
quote:
Originally posted by versia:
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Last week I've been very fond of Breeze vs Lost Witness - Rise Again (Sy & Unknown Remix)! I never even bothered with it until now, and now I find it to be better than the original.

actually i must admit, that one is a bit of a stomper. was there ever a full wav release?

Yup

http://www.junodownload.com/products/futureworld-1/1467665-02/

brodster
Thumpa He played What Is A DJ 2 weeks ago at Bust An Old Jam!

This was one of my faves, underrated 99 classic!

Elipton
quote:
Originally posted by Thumpa:
He played What Is A DJ 2 weeks ago at Bust An Old Jam!

This was one of my faves, underrated 99 classic!

That was him?? I love that track!! Where's it been released? Would love it on "

eddiewould This track (My Forever Love)

Great track to work out to (BodyAttack)
Quicksilver It was in Bodycombat last release too! ;PP Great tune!
Thumpa Dance Sucker was released on Quosh under The Vampire guise.
Backmasker reply deleted. I posted a photo from a Sy fan which made me laugh myself silent but it's very unfair to share it.
Hard2Get
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:

You need to read the credits lol. Pretty much every track in the mix is by him & Unknown.
Luna-C Here is my bit of Sy appreciation:

At the tail end of Kniteforce, Sy & Unknown remixed for us. It was just as I went bankrupt and had to sell the label - the history of that is another story. But the bottom line is, I did not pay Sy for the remix. It wasn't deliberate - I had no money for anything, but I simply forgot. Most of the people I owed money to were cool about it. The business people - record press, labels and sleeve manufacturers etc - were all fine with me paying "eventually". I had always paid either on time or early since the label started and had a good relationship with them. But still, giving me that much leeway was incredible. Some of them waited 2 years or so. Most of the artists were cool about it too, and said to forget the debt. A few were dicks, and there was of course justification, because I owed them money. But that got sorted out too. However, I never even spoke to Sy about it, because in the misery and chaos, I forgot I even owed him.
Did Sy slander me, curse me or act like an ass? No.
He did remix Six Days (I think) during the time I was gone, but thats fair enough because at that point I was out of the scene and why not make a little coin on a track when he had lost out on a remix fee. I probably would have done the same thing lol.
When I started KFA and got back into the scene, Sy and I ended up chatting and he gently reminded him that I never paid him for the remix.

So I paid him.

I think it says much for his character that he could have held a grudge (I do with certain people, its hard not to when you feel cheated) and never spoke badly of me that I have heard, when he had every right to.

Other than that, every dealing I have had with him has been nice, friendly. And now that I think of it, perhaps I should ask him to do a remix for me for my label....

Kebab Head
quote:
Originally posted by Luna-C:
Here is my bit of Sy appreciation:

At the tail end of Kniteforce, Sy & Unknown remixed for us. It was just as I went bankrupt and had to sell the label - the history of that is another story. But the bottom line is, I did not pay Sy for the remix. It wasn't deliberate - I had no money for anything, but I simply forgot. Most of the people I owed money to were cool about it. The business people - record press, labels and sleeve manufacturers etc - were all fine with me paying "eventually". I had always paid either on time or early since the label started and had a good relationship with them. But still, giving me that much leeway was incredible. Some of them waited 2 years or so. Most of the artists were cool about it too, and said to forget the debt. A few were dicks, and there was of course justification, because I owed them money. But that got sorted out too. However, I never even spoke to Sy about it, because in the misery and chaos, I forgot I even owed him.
Did Sy slander me, curse me or act like an ass? No.
He did remix Six Days (I think) during the time I was gone, but thats fair enough because at that point I was out of the scene and why not make a little coin on a track when he had lost out on a remix fee. I probably would have done the same thing lol.
When I started KFA and got back into the scene, Sy and I ended up chatting and he gently reminded him that I never paid him for the remix.

So I paid him.

I think it says much for his character that he could have held a grudge (I do with certain people, its hard not to when you feel cheated) and never spoke badly of me that I have heard, when he had every right to.

Other than that, every dealing I have had with him has been nice, friendly. And now that I think of it, perhaps I should ask him to do a remix for me for my label....

some people are understanding and know that some people go through tough dark pacthes - nice little story and i bet this happends a lot in the hardcore scene lol and every music scene going
Elipton
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:

You need to read the credits lol. Pretty much every track in the mix is by him & Unknown.

The CD's at home and I spend all my time at my University house.
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Love this track so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjMsi2Qv0y8

Good tune, there is also the 97 remix that I like
Kebab Head who can forget this banging tune?

http://www.junodownload.com/ultraplayer/1428027-02-01-01.m3u?r=0&c=0&s=01-01
Kebab Head another beast of a tune....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCOu-rc_1m4

tbh without sy we wouldnt have powerstomp now
Kebab Head this scott brown remix is better than original but without the original no remix lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VB-sxDwixs
Kebab Head gunna post both mixes of this one as i love both

darren styles mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVaLtV-4Qw

sy & unknown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LvXRd_6ac

siiiick tune vocal on this is just immence with the famous sy & unknown bounce factor
Mitchie DJ hey guys just come across this topic now, I am doing a QUOSH RECORDS TRIBUTE show on tudno fm 107.8 at 10pm uk time tomorrow night. its going to be 2 hours of all the best quosh stuff from the old and into the newer stuff nothing but quosh!!

http://tunein.com/radio/Tudno-FM-1078-s106739/
Elliott If it hasn't been said already, Hands Of Time was quite a tune!
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Kebab Head:
gunna post both mixes of this one as i love both

darren styles mix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVaLtV-4Qw

sy & unknown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LvXRd_6ac

siiiick tune vocal on this is just immence with the famous sy & unknown bounce factor

I prefer the DS mix because around thsi time, Sy&Unknown started to sound less like Quosh and wanted to sound like Raverbaby instead
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Luna-C:
And now that I think of it, perhaps I should ask him to do a remix for me for my label....

Yep!

Also good story.
Sulphurik Hadn't realised that Sy & Unknown had done a remix of tell Me A Story so hadn't heard this. Liking this.

Nice to hear this one - Do We Have To Say Goodbye. Not listened to the original much, was more familiar with the Breeze & Styles remix but great to hear original again.

MC Deecee My fave track of Sy and Unknown, for me, this kind of sound, and era actually, defines UK hardcore.

And arguably the best scratching ive ever heard...

Plus on a sidenote, back in 2014 i actually got to MC for Sy at a little rave in Peterborough called DSO, as i don't get chemically enhanced as they say i always get hungry at raves, so was actually in the chippy next door to the venue at nearly midnight having got there at like 9pm for my original set which i did when my missus rang me, and said Sy has just come on, DJ Kyle WytchWood is MC'ing for the moment, do you want to come and do it?

I have never binned a portion of chips and ran up a staircase so fast in all my days, the chance to MC for the man that i listened to over the years as a teenager, it's one of those things that you never expect to happen, especially when id only been doing it barely a year, plus he was playing happy hardcoe into newer quosh stuff so i got to go on stuff like shooting star and field of dreams, i never thought that would ever happen, plus Kyle stayed with me for a bit too so we got to roll B2B for a while,Kyle is actually a pretty good MC as well.
Vladel
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
Hadn't realised that Sy & Unknown had done a remix of tell Me A Story so hadn't heard this. Liking this.

Nice to hear this one - Do We Have To Say Goodbye. Not listened to the original much, was more familiar with the Breeze & Styles remix but great to hear original again.

The tell me a story remix was on one of the hardcore nation compliations
Elliott SY DID NOTHING WRONG
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by MC Deecee:
My fave track of Sy and Unknown, for me, this kind of sound, and era actually, defines UK hardcore.

Sick and thoroughly underappreciated track. Part of my favourite era and one of those tracks that I'll probably never forget.

I remember the slating Bonkers 18 and the later HTID albums got at the time. Now, they seem like works of pure godlike majesty. I liked them at the time but a lot of people didn't.

You never know what you've gone until it's gone. In hindsight, 2009 was an incredible year for hardcore compilations.

I don't care what anyone says; Sy & Unknown's remix of We Dance On was a home wrecker as well. I played it at a house party with a bunch of non-hardcore fans and not a single **** in the place gave a shit. In fact, we got so excited that we started punching literal holes in the walls.

The drunken scotsman Make it bounce
Free your mind remix
Out of your mind
Just can't get enough
Take control remix
Steel finger part 2
Light up
Devotion 2008 remix
Hyperspeed remix
Over now remix

Always loved the punchy Sy & Unknown bass line.

Really wish he was still making tunes instead of perving over naked 17 year olds.

Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
Make it bounce
Free your mind remix
Out of your mind
Just can't get enough
Take control remix
Steel finger part 2
Light up
Devotion 2008 remix
Hyperspeed remix
Over now remix

Really wish he was still making tunes instead of perving over naked 17 year olds.

SY DID NOTHING WRONG

Some very good shouts there. Light Up was underrated as ****. Hyperspeed remix was an absolute gem -- era classic, no doubt. Their other Adam Harris remixes weren't as iconic but just as great.
Elliott Thanks to this thread, I've genuinely just had the police show up with a noise complaint (nothing better to do on a Saturday night, really??).

I've got a ~1.5kw sound system in here and it's hot so I opened the windows..

All my music stuff is at the front of the house on the top floor but if you want a party in the back garden, literally all you have to do is open the front window. At top volume (which you need earplugs to be in the same room as, obviously), you can hear it within a ~half-kilometre radius of my house.

Edit: Yes, it is pretty much pointless to have a small rave sound system in your house. I can't get it above 10% on my amp without my ears hurting. But it was key to some pretty crazy parties when I was younger and healthier.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
Make it bounce
Free your mind remix
Out of your mind
Just can't get enough
Take control remix
Steel finger part 2
Light up
Devotion 2008 remix
Hyperspeed remix
Over now remix

SY DID NOTHING WRONG

Some very good shouts there. Light Up was underrated as ****. Hyperspeed remix was an absolute gem -- era classic, no doubt. Their other Adam Harris remixes weren't as iconic but just as great.

Agreed mate, shite joke. Perhaps skarr found it funny?

There's a lot more but these were the result of a mini brainstorming session. I love the Adam Harris remixes. Over now was genuinely one of my favourites at the time but very underrated. Also loved the remixes of Sunlight and All I want by impact and resist
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by eddiewould:
This track (My Forever Love)

Great track to work out to (BodyAttack)

**** yea.

Pictures Of You always gets me.
Hard2Get Just gonna leave this here.

Sulphurik Pity Sy & Unknown never released their own album/Quosh album.

i'll always remember the first Sy track I heard Sy & Unknown - Listen to the ace from Hardcore Heaven 2 - 20 years ago now!
Elliott Imo this one never received the love it deserved. I remember absolutely caning it on repeat for days immediately after it came out. I was out with my mates for the day but I was loving the music so much back then that I barely took my headphones out. They got bored of me being an antisocial prick and ditched me in McDonalds -- and of course I was too busy listening to the track to even notice. The walk home was fun though.

Sulphurik
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
Imo this one never received the love it deserved. I remember absolutely caning it on repeat for days immediately after it came out. I was out with my mates for the day but I was loving the music so much back then that I barely took my headphones out. They got bored of me being an antisocial prick and ditched me in McDonalds -- and of course I was too busy listening to the track to even notice. The walk home was fun though.

Great to hear that again.
Sulphurik A remix that will never happen - imagine a Sy & Unknown remix of this (2004-2008 style)!

DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
A remix that will never happen - imagine a Sy & Unknown remix of this (2004-2008 style)!

Pretty sure Bennie D (of CTTF/Renegade Radio) did a remix of it recently.

His remixes are spot on. :)
Missingno I love this one...

...so much that I have been looking for the digital master for years (sadly, the version appearing in The Ultimate Hardcore Album is a dirty vinyl recording).

I personally contacted DJ Sy through email long time ago in order to ask for it, but he told me that the one holding the DAT tape was DJ Demo. Then, I figured out that the last one uploaded to his Soundcloud account an excerpt of this song, whose source is clearly from the digital master due to the absence of vinyl noise and its clean sound:

https://soundcloud.com/thedjdemo/ve003-dj-sy-dj-demo-sensation

However, after contacting him through the social media, the one replying me appeared to be his manager, which only replied systematically to me nonsense in order to evade the topic, regardless of the pretty generous amount of money I was offering for it.

So sad to see that I probably will never be able to listen to this full song as it deserves...

It took 2.7 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page