Radio listeners 190+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Your opinion on Unmixed CD's?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
whittle1 What I'm referring to, is an extra CD in the album you receive that contains unmixed tracks of songs that are already on other CD's in the same album (if that makes sense).
I have absolutely no need for these and I think it's just a way to bump up the price. I would also suggest that the vast majority of listeners don't DJ in their spare time, or for a living. What's everyone else's opinion on this?
CDJay I don't DJ, and have always collected unmixed cds and/or full tracks. From our side, we've also found that combination affairs sell better simply as it appeals to two markets with a sizeable overlap.

We have far more trouble selling Mix CD only albums as people claim they can get the same thing for free or less via Soundcloud or unlicensed CD packs.

(These people presumably are unaware of the work that goes into all aspects of a proper compilation CD)

CDJay
Impulse_Response I think unmixed CDs are the greatest thing in the world. I usually know through previews or youtube if I'm going to like an album or not, and if I like that album then I always want the extra tracks for my own DJing / listening to unmixed tracks (I don't always want to hear mixes). In fact, I could almost say that I'd rather collect unmixed tracks than have mixes.

Also with lots of HU albums (correct me if I'm wrong) quite a few of the unmixed tracks are exclusive to the album, so I can't get them on the download sites when I want them. Actually I think this is true with quite a few other albums as well.
DJBoydy I wish ALL CD's were unmixed tracks only !!
Cyrax
quote:
Originally posted by DJBoydy:
I wish ALL CD's were unmixed tracks only !!

same I only like unmixed CDs, I like listen to the track in its entirety, a lot of mix CDs can not use/or cut out large portions of the tracks the are showcasing + i'm quite partial to a spot of deejaying from time to time !

Vladel 100% would rather have unmixed full versions that are not partially cut by djs who don't think a whole track is worth putting in. I have Olly P - Pacific Ocean bought as a download and I can't believe the second half of that track was cut off on HU 6 for example. There have been a lot of tracks that have suffered this way and I'm glad things have changed.
Bad Corey As a Dj, I have absolutely no need for mixed CDs, and typically the only reason
I listen to them is if they have songs that aren't on the unmixed.
CDJay I'm surprised people speak in such absolutes; both serve a purpose and occasion.

I always used the comps, in the 90s, to hear stuff which I would also seek out "unmixed". Sometimes tracks are seemingly "butchered" to service the flow of a mix, and yet other times the mix itself works to bolster a track or to make it more accessible.

Which, in a very roundabout way, is precisely why we have both in most cases.

It will take literally thousands of man hours to put together something like HU7, and we wouldn't bother doing so unless it served a purpose higher than showcasing some upcoming stuff. They're a snapshot, and I'd propose their relevance is at greatest immediately after and then significantly after release. Unmixed stuff often ends up in a playlist and requires oft compromised memory to actively seek out.

CDJay
oxis i like mixed cds because i like to listen to them all the way through but i also like unmixed cds because i want to listen to more than 40 seconds of a song

Hard2Get As a listener, i would never want to listened to unmixed Hardcore.
Cyrax
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
I'm surprised people speak in such absolutes; both serve a purpose and occasion.

I always used the comps, in the 90s, to hear stuff which I would also seek out "unmixed". Sometimes tracks are seemingly "butchered" to service the flow of a mix, and yet other times the mix itself works to bolster a track or to make it more accessible.

Which, in a very roundabout way, is precisely why we have both in most cases.

It will take literally thousands of man hours to put together something like HU7, and we wouldn't bother doing so unless it served a purpose higher than showcasing some upcoming stuff. They're a snapshot, and I'd propose their relevance is at greatest immediately after and then significantly after release. Unmixed stuff often ends up in a playlist and requires oft compromised memory to actively seek out.

CDJay

I'll always pick up stuff like HU7 though !

jordesuvi
Mansy I prefer to listen to the mixed versions of albums but I still have a blast through the unmixed aswell to check out how in the intros and outros go on the tracks.
Audio Warfare I actually prefer mixed albums. Don't get much time to get on the decks these days and I enjoy a mix more than individual tracks for general listening. I'd definitely much rather buy a CD of unmixed tracks than a load of MP3's though.
Vladel I still buy stuff like HU7 because it can often take a year or more to get the full version of tracks (which I prefer the fullness but not the timescale). I'd rather take unmixed albums because that way you get the full product and have the opportunity to make your own mixes with the tracks you want. The exeption is the dreaded do tools where ten tracks doesn't really make financial sense to a consumer unless you like the majority of the tracks (should you be lucky enough to find previews). I've found six on dj tools 2 and a mere four off dj tools 3. As much as I love HU and love hardcore, odds like that take the piss frankly. At least with a mixed album you have better odds of getting some quality for your money.
_Jay_

Both.

Captain Triceps I definitely prefer unmixed ones because I love doing a mix myself.
There's no harm in mixed CDs by any means, you're getting upfront mixes of many (often unreleased tunes) and these are good for whacking on the iPod or for the car, I buy them often.
Scott Brown's recent release of Evolution Plus classics is a good example, unmixed tunes for me to play with and a mix for the iPod - although this was a download rather then a CD, I'd still prefer this method.
What I'm not so keen on is mixes full of older tunes with no unmixed option. (Remastered you say? Goody gumdrops. I want the individual tracks.) That's another topic though.
Two unmixed discs and a mixed disc is a good enough balance for me. As much as I like unmixed, if there's too many on one album then often there's too much filler.

DJMatjestix I personally for the sake of a small amount of ?$?$ would cater for both so it would please and cater for a larger audience.
DJ Reevzy As a dj i naturally want the unmixed tunes but i also want mixes for the ipod, car etc. The likes of HU and Lethal Theory release albums with both to maximise the appeal and revenue...presumably to pay for cdjays fancy lunches!
CDJay It's true; any day now with your support I can move from plain value noodles to value chicken noodles.

It'll be clucking brilliant!

CDJay
warped_candykid I prefer mixed...but only if there's imagination put into it. Some mixes sound 'too clean', with no tricks used by the DJ...it's just outro/intro. Also with a mixed CD, you *hopefully* get the pitch increased. I miss the old days of Bonkers when mixed CDs were 180 bpm+ (except for Dougal).
Claxton Both for me.

Mixed for listening in the car/on the mp3 player.

Unmixed for DJing with.

If I wasn't a DJ, I'd most likely side with yourself though.
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
Both for me.

Mixed for listening in the car/on the mp3 player.

Unmixed for DJing with.

If I wasn't a DJ, I'd most likely side with yourself though.

Exactly this.
Jacco I like mixed CDs if they're actually mixed and not the chop and paste crap like on most Clublands. I DJ so I'd prefer the majority of CDs were unmixed so I can use the tracks to create my own mix CDs with the tunes I like.
kazukism92 Unmixed or mixed... meh... both!

Anyways, is a good and a friendly way to get hardcore tracks as physical media than digital. -Talking about consequences of loose stuff and fail backup-
carldj90 Both. If it comes with a mix cool! I view an artist album as getting the mixed CD for free and paying for the unmixed tunes, artwork, and physical material.

As for strictly mixed compilations, it is the collecting factor. The best argument is a majority of DJs put up free mixes for download somewhere.
latininxtc I'm with CDJay on this one both are great.

I recently got rid of my Numark Mixdeck because unlike Jay's bum the Mixdeck hasn't been played with in over 2 years. I once thought that it would be cool for me to become a dj, but I couldn't figure out how to use my Mixdeck lol, and I'm one of those people that when it comes to that sort of technology I need someone to show me how it works. Figuring it out myself was getting me nowhere and I knew of no one anymore who could have properly taught me.

So even though I don't see djing in my future, I still enjoy buying full-length MP3 tracks. Yes it's nice to hear them on a mix, but sometimes it just plain sucks because some mixes only feature the track for like 2 minutes when they're over 5 minutes long. So a full-length track would be great to listen to, and also throw it into a nice playlist. Also, freeform tracks sound better full-length as I've always thought that freeform tracks have a more journey-type vibe.

And I love a great mix, but I am a bit more critical of them these days since you can get mixes for free on soundcloud and other means. I expect album mixed CDs to have a great tracklist with some great transitions, not some shit thrown together like it should have been given away for free like the mixes on an album that I won't mention but Dean knows which one I'm talking about! the Hardcore Underground Vol. 1-6 series are definitely the new standard how producers should go about mixing for a CD.
Vladel
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
I'm with CDJay on this one both are great.

I recently got rid of my Numark Mixdeck because unlike Jay's bum the Mixdeck hasn't been played with in over 2 years. I once thought that it would be cool for me to become a dj, but I couldn't figure out how to use my Mixdeck lol, and I'm one of those people that when it comes to that sort of technology I need someone to show me how it works. Figuring it out myself was getting me nowhere and I knew of no one anymore who could have properly taught me.

So even though I don't see djing in my future, I still enjoy buying full-length MP3 tracks. Yes it's nice to hear them on a mix, but sometimes it just plain sucks because some mixes only feature the track for like 2 minutes when they're over 5 minutes long. So a full-length track would be great to listen to, and also throw it into a nice playlist. Also, freeform tracks sound better full-length as I've always thought that freeform tracks have a more journey-type vibe.

And I love a great mix, but I am a bit more critical of them these days since you can get mixes for free on soundcloud and other means. I expect album mixed CDs to have a great tracklist with some great transitions, not some shit thrown together like it should have been given away for free like the mixes on an album that I won't mention but Dean knows which one I'm talking about! the Hardcore Underground Vol. 1-6 series are definitely the new standard how producers should go about mixing for a CD.

Back in the late nineties i had decks for a while and someone showed me how to use them and it was really interesting. The main problems i had was lack of funds/time/vinyl etc to really have a go at it and i had no intention of ever actually being a dj but i had an interest in mixing. I've always had a strong interest in computers and a good friend introduced me to (what would have been at the time considered a decent music studio program) software that could be used for mixing mp3s/wavs whatever.
The main advantage being that you could take your time over stretching tracks to get to the same bpm and fiddle with the volume levels and get everything perfect. You could play over every section and cut things where you needed to and it was great but for the lack of unmixed hardcore so i mostly mixed dance. It was a hobby not meant for anything else. Then my career took off and that was the end of it until thirteen years later (this year) i decided to have another go as i have a much bigger unmixed library of mp3s (i'm not hardcore enough to go down the whole wav route).

I bought a new version of the software with the same idea of just mixing the stuff i like for myself because even if you get hold of a great mix, there's usually a track you don't like or you wonder what it would be like to mix your own top 20 or something like that. So the last few weeks i've mixed up most of my favorite mp3s according to year/era (depending on how much unmixed i have from that time frame). I would never intend to post these mixes or start calling myself dj or any shit like that because i am not and i wouldn't insult the profession. What i am saying is that basically anyone can make mixes and have been able to for a long time, they just lack the will or knowledge and with anything in life, you get as much as as the effort put in.

Mad Max Both.

Wish more unmixed cds had tracklists printed on them **hint hint**. Having cds in a wallet and just nice graphics on them makes you forget tracks.

Mickey Init Both, too! Although, I wished mix CDs were actually mixed, still - rather than sequenced or done using software - something that exhibits a bit of craftsmanship. That's what made the Rehab album that little bit better.
CDJay I crafted a man ship. It's sailing, you should sea it!

CDJay
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Init:
Both, too! Although, I wished mix CDs were actually mixed, still - rather than sequenced or done using software - something that exhibits a bit of craftsmanship. That's what made the Rehab album that little bit better.

Yeah, this has been a common complaint for me for a long time. Problem is that once it becomes the norm (like it has done), people come to expect the perfection of a studio mix and imperfect mixes of the old variety stick out like a sore thumb. It's an irreversible process.

There's an argument to be made that the method of reaching the end result is entirely irrelevant because it has nothing to do with what listeners ultimately hear. I think it's a strong point but I actually enjoy the relative crudeness of a proper DJ mix.
Captain Triceps I agree with the 'actual mixing' comments. Too many mixes out are clearly sequenced in software, or at best boringly put together. I'm not saying there should be 'horses running' clangers by any means but the old style mixes certainly had their charm, when you knew a DJ was stood behind a set of decks actually playing tunes like a live set.
DJ SMALOUM unmixed cds are more useful for djs and mixed cds are more useful for the listeners who don't know how to mix. this is why some labels make double or triple cd with mixed and unmixed cds for make every ravaz happy. (me i prefer unmixed for make my own mixes)
Mickey Init I agree with Elliott and Captain Triceps. On the contrary, though, I do like the perfection/cleanliness of the sequenced mixes - I just don't like the lack of mixing, i.e. the use of 'chopping' and 'cutting' rather than a blended mix of two tunes at the same time.

Before we had sequenced mixes, we still had some really good, professional products and, in some ways, it separated the wheat from the chaff. But, I suppose, that's a bygone era.

One thing I will say, though, is that I now expect anything that comes out of HU HQ to be in the 2+1 format now that they've set a standard. It works really well and has always been of good value IMHO.
bazzaboiii Firstly these unmixed CD's are not extra's.. They're aimed at DJ's, and from what I know of the full unmixed tracks normally exclusive.

Unfortunately the producers have had to try something to stop people illegaly downloading.. People are less likely to rip and share a copy of something they've paid for, I quite personally like waiting A bit for 32 new tracks to add to my collection and a mix to listen to, and it's always there, no loosing it on hard drive crashes or wipes.

It's certainly not to "bump the price up" This Is Powerstomp 2 has 2 unmixed cds with 16 tracks on each. That's 32 unmixed tracks for ?15 bargain!! I bought 9 tracks from TID last night and it cost me ?10 lol.

There's a HUGE amount of time, money and effort go into these album and I'm sure that if your suggestions were a true reflection of the majority they would have stopped them bye now.

Long may they continue!! Fingers crossed for vinyl coming back too haha

If ya don't want unmixed CD's don't buy them. I'm sure you'll find DJ mixes with the same tracks on them soon after the release.

Never gonna make everyone happy.
RMC One thing I really liked when I bought Project Badass Vol . 1 (all unmixed tracks) was Cyrax sending me a link by email to download a full album mix. That way I was able to listen to the album while waiting for the physical copy to arrive. I thought that was neat.

It took 1.97 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page