Total online 1571
 Radio listeners 155+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore Underground 7 Lineup Out Now!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
latininxtc So I don't actually know what the lineup is because for some ungodly reason I didn't get an email yet I have an account with the store. Me and Jon will be having words about this!

But so far what I know is there's only 3 CD mixes to it, which I already knew since Jon told me they were cutting back down to 3, and there's no hardcore breaks CD, and no Entity. Thanks for anyone who can fill in the blanks for me!
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
So I don't actually know what the lineup is because for some ungodly reason I didn't get an email yet I have an account with the store. Me and Jon will be having words about this!

But so far what I know is there's only 3 CD mixes to it, which I already knew since Jon told me they were cutting back down to 3, and there's no hardcore breaks CD, and no Entity. Thanks for anyone who can fill in the blanks for me!

no......breaks...... >:(
AceofSpades_Lorenzo
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
So I don't actually know what the lineup is because for some ungodly reason I didn't get an email yet I have an account with the store. Me and Jon will be having words about this!

HU Breaks Vol 2 in on the way ;) Don't worry! CDJay has mentioned this before.
CLSM & Chris Ross. enough said!
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by AceofSpades_Lorenzo:
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:

HU Breaks Vol 2 in on the way ;) Don't worry! CDJay has mentioned this before.
CLSM & Chris Ross. enough said!

thank god. i think disc 3 on HU6 was literally the best. too solid.
if they are giving breaks the axe that better mean no freeform.. ;p
3 discs of solid uk hardcore on the way :D
djDMS Fracus and Darwin
Scott Brown and Chris Fear
Al Storm and DJ Shimamura.

You're welcome.
Elipton Chris Fear is still active?
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Fracus and Darwin
Scott Brown and Chris Fear
Al Storm and DJ Shimamura.

You're welcome.

sweeeeeet
latininxtc Scott Brown & Chris Fear??? Now that one can be a hit or miss.

Fracus & Darwin will be a great mix like always, but I am most looking forward to Al Storm and Shimamura!
_Jay_

Should be very powerful, as usual. The Freeform disc is a miss, though. I know the main Freeform boys have their own projects knocking about as well, so there may have been a lack of material.

Al Storm and Shimmy should be fun as fcuk.

Torpex Good lineup, should be another strong installment!
djDMS No presumptions being made until there's a track list as per ;-)
Mansy This looks amazing. Can we pre order a pre order :)
Torpex
quote:
Originally posted by Mansy:
Can we pre order a pre order :)

YO DAWG-
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:

Should be very powerful, as usual. The Freeform disc is a miss, though. I know the main Freeform boys have their own projects knocking about as well, so there may have been a lack of material.

Al Storm and Shimmy should be fun as fcuk.

There are enough freeform centric projects around that there's no need for a dedicated disc at this point. Frankly, the bulk of people who prefer freeform are unlikely to buy something like HU7 for one CD they might like. They're infinitely more likely to sneer at it

So whilst there's no breaks or freeform disc, they will be represented across the 3 CDs which I think is more helpful (it's easier to get people interested in either if cleverly presented amongst more familiar and accessible things).

Oh, and CLSM isn't on HU Breaks 2 FYI. More info on that will follow after HU7s release

CDJay
Elipton I've come to view the flagship HU-series as the complete Hardcore experience. You have your mainline upfront Hardcore on the first couple of discs, a breaks CD and a Freeform CD. Sounds like HU7 will be chopping off a lot of branches.

You've just chopped the appeal of your series in half by taking away two things I felt made HU the torch-bearer after Bonkers' demise. You might be offering Freeform or Breaks in other products, but I'm not going to spend the extra money bringing them in. HU was a nicely rounded and perfectly balanced product, so I'm struggling to understand the change in recipe - unless it's down to more fiscal matters, typically.
CDJay HU6 was the first entry with a "breaks" disc; something we wanted to do but not something we feel compelled to do every time.

"Chopping Off" the Freeform CD, which has been present since HU4 (through Presents 2010, 5 and 6), wasn't a decision made lightly. Ultimately the HU series is, as you said, the flagship *UK Hardcore* album. It makes far more sense, IMO, to get the best of everything across the genre and sprinkle it through varied mixes rather than cordon off into substyles. Notable artists and tracks from Freeform will, of course, feature. However with a load of dedicated CDs available, and an increasingly discrete audience, who have made it pretty clear they are categorically not interested in HU, it makes zero sense to service a market that won't buy the project. It's the same reason we're yet to do a Gabba disc (never say never, heh).

Doing a HU Breaks 2 album was always the plan, and again it makes far more sense to push it towards the D&B market in addition to our core audience rather than shoehorn it into the series proper thus restricting it's reach.

The variety will still be there, in fact I'd argue each mix is *more* likely to be varied. Proof is in the pudding; although I'm no stranger to people writing us off before we show our hand it's increasingly bewildering with our track record. We've made some missteps, but I reckon we know what we're doing

CDJay
oxis
quote:
Shimamura
Al Storm
Scott Brown

YES
latininxtc Going by facebook posts alone CDJay is right about the religious freeform crowd not interested in the album as a whole. If a mix so much as has one regular hardcore track they would throw a huge shitfit. In some ways they're almost as bad as the religious futureworld gang crowd. And there are very few people who truly can appreciate an album with a freeform mix and a breaks mix as a whole, because lots of people, specifically outside this forum, only enjoy one or the other, rarely both to its fullest extent. Plus you also got people bitching about the current state of freeform like people are bitching about the current state of hardcore, so those guys won't buy it either.

And I'm with Jon on this I think the mixes will be more diverse individually. Al Storm and Shimamura I think will have a great mix of UK hardcore, j-core and breaks, and maybe even some freeform in there. The same goes with Fracus and Darwin's mix sans the j-core. And the Scott Brown and Chris fear who knows what will be on there other than UK hardcore and some gabber tracks.
arpz I think it sounds great! I like the artwork and the lineup sounds good, good to see Shimamura making a debut :D

I think removing the freeform/breaks is a good thing too, I didn't listen to the one on HU6 more than once or twice and it's a bit like an extra tacked on, no complaints here at all
warped_candykid The freeform/breaks mixes are always the ones that never get play time in my CD player. I'm all for 3 CDs of upfront UK Hardcore (and whatever J-Core Shimamura brings in & the gabber Scott Brown brings in).
whittle1 Quality line-up!
Shimamura really is something special for those who haven't heard much of his music.
Can't say I remember anything memorable of Chris Fear's work. I'd have much preferred Jakazid alongside Shimamura instead of Al Storm too.
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by whittle1:
Quality line-up!
Shimamura really is something special for those who haven't heard much of his music.
Can't say I remember anything memorable of Chris Fear's work. I'd have much preferred Jakazid alongside Shimamura instead of Al Storm too.

Where is Jakazid? I loved his early material like Universe & Set Me Free!

oxis
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
Where is Jakazid? I loved his early material like Universe & Set Me Free!

he put out the Maximum Sass EP last year. you should check it out, DDPU and Have 2 Survive are insane: http://music.auraladrenaline.net/album/maximum-sass-ep
Samination This might sound condescending or ironic since I don't own any HU mixed combilations, but a loss of a Freeform mix is only a loss to the Freeform followers. To me, freeform has always been close to UK Hardcore, which Bonkers has proven since Bonkers 2. I guess the newer generation of fans can't see that.

Yay for everything sounding the same then!
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
To me, freeform has always been close to UK Hardcore, which Bonkers has proven since Bonkers 2. I guess the newer generation of fans can't see that.

No, the newer generation of Freeform followers DON'T WANT TO see that.

There is a growing movement of those who want to distance themselves from Hardcore. Personally I still think they should be connected, and featured alongside UK Hardcore, but there's a definite split which would affect album sales and event attendances.
CDJay Metaphor; like taking a murderous rabid hamster home to your newborn twins. Stupid? Moreso once it's bitten a few times.....

CDJay
djDMS I was going to say 'don't bite the hand that feeds you', but I like CDJay's better!
Claxton I love the Freeform mix on HU compilations; the Oli G & Lost Soul mix is a fav. But I completely get why it won't be included on this one.

CDJay's analogies always baffle me haa!!
latininxtc
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
To me, freeform has always been close to UK Hardcore, which Bonkers has proven since Bonkers 2. I guess the newer generation of fans can't see that.

There is a growing movement of those who want to distance themselves from Hardcore.

That's not just limited to followers of freeform, there are djs/producers who feel that same way as well. I remember F&D discussed that on one of their podcasts with A.B, that was one great interview.
djDMS I know, that's what I said!
Vladel No freeform disk eh? So i won't be getting a HU7 drinks coaster then
Cyrax Who are these Freeform people who want to distance themselves, even Thumper mentioned something about it on facebook, I've never met them

Anyway I like both, will always pick up any new HU album no matter what is on it because they are awesome!
djDMS Can't remember if I'm honest but I've seen posts both on here and Facebook saying exactly that.
CDJay From HU4 onwards, "purists", and indeed artists we have licensed from, have felt compelled to say "CD4 is great the rest is sh**" loudly and publically. It's increasingly enraged me for years, as despite endlessly supporting the music and DJs both on albums and at events we get very little back other than snidey commentary. Everyone was quite happy to get behind Kev Energy and Sharkey, even when they played slightly more to themainstream, but the lack of support or respect afforded towards HU and F&D is actually shocking. Ever wonder why Darwin stopped writing "Freeform" by and large? It's a waste of time; his name was poison to the chin strokers as he also dared to write other styles. This is one of the biggest problems with freeform, and the PRECISE OPPOSITE of what people like Sharkey did, and did well.

The fact it folds into our newfound desire to get each mix to get more stylistically varied is a bonus. Everyone has stopped moaning about dubcore if there's some breakbeat in there, now, yea?

CDJay
Elipton
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:This is one of the biggest problems with freeform, and the PRECISE OPPOSITE of what people like Sharkey did, and did well.

I wrote a book on how lopsided Freeform has become for University. Can't think of many genres as limited in it's sound. It used to be fantastic.
CDJay I'm convinced it's only being called that as part of some sort of heavily elevated self referential irony. For anyone ever claiming that UK Hardcore works with a restricted pallate, it's all the colours in the rainbow by comparison. I'd far rather showcase within that context, to an audience watching with TV sets made after 1967

edit: There are also plans to have a "trancecore"/"kenneth" element present on HHU2. We're happy to lead by example, and learn from the past, if need be

CDJay
oxis i am a bit disappointed to hear that about the freeform scene and fans, as CD 4 in HU6 was my favourite by a long shot, and the freeform scene has a lot of good artists and potential right now. i believe it could completely take off if it was explored to its full potential.

freeform seems like the perfect genre to try stuff out new stuff in. DJ Fury - Lemonade Raygun (Transcend and Cyrax remix) blew me away with that synth (i do realise it was in the original, but this one sounded more sofisticated), it was something that i do not hear so often. Kevin Energy's Full Circle EP is something else that imo also puts to good use the bigger variety of sounds freeform allows. hell, he used a flute sample/vst (not a subtle one, a very loud and clearly in the front of the mix one) for the breakdown and electric guitar sounds for the 2nd (?) bar after the chorus, and it sounded awesome.

but regardless, i am excited to see what appears in HU7. Shimamura is a boss, and i haven't seen him in action yet in something like this. besides, with stuff like Who's Got The Stamina and Ain't No Grave being released recently, i do not think it is a HUGE loss to HU7. if anything, we might have had just the same tracks that we already knew from those albums.
Entity CD3 on HU6 was a great experiment. And whilst the feedback was heart-warming, and we're both proud, I think going back to 3 CD's and mixing and blending various styles is the way to go. If you like pure breaks, watch out for HU Breaks 2.
skankineddie666 No Breaks or Freeform???? Pass.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
From HU4 onwards, "purists", and indeed artists we have licensed from, have felt compelled to say "CD4 is great the rest is sh**" loudly and publically. It's increasingly enraged me for years, as despite endlessly supporting the music and DJs both on albums and at events we get very little back other than snidey commentary. Everyone was quite happy to get behind Kev Energy and Sharkey, even when they played slightly more to themainstream, but the lack of support or respect afforded towards HU and F&D is actually shocking. Ever wonder why Darwin stopped writing "Freeform" by and large? It's a waste of time; his name was poison to the chin strokers as he also dared to write other styles. This is one of the biggest problems with freeform, and the PRECISE OPPOSITE of what people like Sharkey did, and did well.

The fact it folds into our newfound desire to get each mix to get more stylistically varied is a bonus. Everyone has stopped moaning about dubcore if there's some breakbeat in there, now, yea?

CDJay

If he still makes freeform from time to time, I'd love him even more :P
I do know that the people can moan, but in the end, if you like to produce a certain style, f*ck what people say. I've kept saying it on all the threads about DJ/artists leaving the scene, no matter if I like their stuff or not, "to ignore what the haters say, and let us moan".
CrushOnHardcore The Al Storm and Shimamura mix will be fantastic, no doubt. I'm not dissapointed about the lack of a Breaks or Freeform CD, there are enough labels and albums showcasing those specific sounds. Looking forward!
lurker As long as the mixes have the same amount of variety as the first two HUs, I can't complain. And while I'm not totally happy with what CDJay had to say about freeform, I get where he's coming from- I once had a guy argue to me that Lotek (Oli G Remix) wasn't freeform because supersaws aren't dark.
versia The problem is that for the last decade, compilations like Bonkers and HU were freeform's life support, until Bonkers faded away and Thumpa's CDs came along. Now, freeform isn't exactly dying on it's right now but unless something is done in the creative department, for the UK scene at least, I can't see how ravers will continue to lap up some of the warm diarrhea that labels like Stamina and Rebuild put out. A lot of the tracks recently just seem to be Trance Arp + 303 = Freeform(?), which is really worrying. Kevin Energy's new EP was a positive sign though, at least it offered something different - something that was simultaniously a blast from the past with it's trancecore/big kick vibe and a positive look to what freeform could possibly be in the future.

Luna-C's article from the start of the year seems to be ever more relevent with each new release - As much as UK Hardcore needs like 3 more S3RLs and 5 more JAKAZiD's, freeform is in dire need of 4 more Alek Szahala's and 3 more Le-Dos On's.

Rant over.
wong no freeform? good, keep that shit away
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by versia:
Now, freeform isn't exactly dying on it's right now but unless something is done in the creative department, for the UK scene at least, I can't see how ravers will continue to lap up some of the warm diarrhea that labels like Stamina and Rebuild put out.

Bad Corey Is it still worth it to submit music for this or has the track list been finalized already?
CDJay I haven't even started going through submissions yet. Am doing so on Saturday onwards

CDJay
djDMS August it is then...
Thumpa
quote:
The problem is that for the last decade, compilations like Bonkers and HU were freeform's life support, until Bonkers faded away and Thumpa's CDs came along. Now, freeform isn't exactly dying on it's right now but unless something is done in the creative department, for the UK scene at least, I can't see how ravers will continue to lap up some of the warm diarrhea that labels like Stamina and Rebuild put out. A lot of the tracks recently just seem to be Trance Arp + 303 = Freeform(?), which is really worrying. Kevin Energy's new EP was a positive sign though, at least it offered something different - something that was simultaniously a blast from the past with it's trancecore/big kick vibe and a positive look to what freeform could possibly be in the future.

Luna-C's article from the start of the year seems to be ever more relevent with each new release - As much as UK Hardcore needs like 3 more S3RLs and 5 more JAKAZiD's, freeform is in dire need of 4 more Alek Szahala's and 3 more Le-Dos On's.

Rant over.

Did you buy Ain't No Grave? It was 33 tracks and one of the most varied albums I've released! I take massive offence to the label being called 'warm diarrhoea' when I release stuff across the board, from Alek Szahala and Qygen psy/FINRG style stuff to jD-KiD and Douglas euphoric dancefloor stuff to big kickdrum trancecorey stuff like Olly Addictive, +12V and Little Fella to Strife II and Betwixt & Between ambient stuff and beyond. The label doesn't have a particular style and both Alek and Le Dos-on have featured heavily on my last few albums, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. I have pushed and nurtured new artists like Aryx and jD-KiD and encouraged them to make different sounding stuff, so I am really confused over who you think makes 'warm diarrhoea'.

I release 8 albums with the most varied music in hardcore and you call it warm diarrhoea and Kev releases 2 tracks and you bum the shit out of it, absolutely shocking behaviour. I have got a lot of respect for Kev and he is one of the reasons I started my label but Nu Energy and the sub labels were always dancefloor orientated and not the deepest of freeform sounds, so if you think ReBuild is diarrhoea then I dread to think what you think of labels like Nu Energy, Relentless Vinyl etc.

The problem with people into freeform is they don't realise how delicate this music is. If ReBuild and Stamina decided to **** it all off and stop releasing music the freeform movement would take a huge hit. No one hits that high standard as much as we do and no one is there to push these artists as much as we do. Who gets the deeper freeform played at big raves like HTID, Westfest etc? We do! You can call it warm diarrhoea if you want but I think you're in the minority.

It also pisses me off that you go on about Kev's new EP but have blatantly ignored the fact that I've been releasing tough sounding freeform with big kicks since the label started. Do your research first dickhead.
Cyrax
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
no freeform? good, keep that shit away

You're could'nt be more Wong

wong i'm never wong. always wight
versia so this comment blew up, and a few people have noted were i reffered to my comment on rebuild and stanima. it was obviously the wrong choice of words to use and you've (Thumpa) clearly took offence to it, so if you were offended, i apologise for that. i know you work hard on your albums, and i do like most of the tracks on them and i know they're varied in sound and artist choice! it was just something stupid i said in the rush of discussing something that i am only as passionate about as you. we all say stupid shit, you know that...

but as for my actual core argument, it's still unchanged.

my comment was not really about the state of the scene NOW, just as was Luna-C's article not really about the UK Hardcore scene NOW. it was about the longgevity of the uk FF scene, say, in the next five years. where is the uk freeform sound going? to me, a lot of the newer uk releases just sound like a lot of the old nu energy tracks, just with higher production values. that's why kev's new ep was for me such a breath of fresh air - it took the current uk sound and pulled it in different directions. it was the sound of an artist having a particular sound instead of a scene as a whole.

thats what i want to see more of in the uk scene, artist driven sounds and flavors instead of scene driven sounds and flavors.
latininxtc Versia what is this Kevin Energy EP that you keep fisting yourself over? Anyone have any previews of it?
arpz I just felt like chiming back in by saying that the more diverse mixes containing freeform elements will probably be brilliant, if the DJs are all prepared to play those kind of tracks in a mix then I'm sure it'll work well and might make the overall (i.e, the rest of hardcore) sound more interesting in time. I'm up for it
danielseven
quote:
so this comment blew up, and a few people have noted were i reffered to my comment on rebuild and stanima. it was obviously the wrong choice of words to use and you've (Thumpa) clearly took offence to it, so if you were offended, i apologise for that. i know you work hard on your albums, and i do like most of the tracks on them and i know they're varied in sound and artist choice! it was just something stupid i said in the rush of discussing something that i am only as passionate about as you. we all say stupid shit, you know that...

my comment was not really about the state of the scene NOW, just as was Luna-C's article not really about the UK Hardcore scene NOW. it was about the longgevity of the uk FF scene, say, in the next five years. where is the uk freeform sound going? to me, a lot of the newer uk releases just sound like a lot of the old nu energy tracks, just with higher production values. that's why kev's new ep was for me such a breath of fresh air - it took the current uk sound and pulled it in different directions. it was the sound of an artist having a particular sound instead of a scene as a whole.

thats what i want to see more of in the uk scene, artist driven sounds and flavors instead of scene driven sounds and flavors.

Man, do you even read what you write? "warm diarrhoea"

Think 7 times before posting something on a public forum.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
quote:
so this comment blew up, and a few people have noted were i reffered to my comment on rebuild and stanima. it was obviously the wrong choice of words to use and you've (Thumpa) clearly took offence to it, so if you were offended, i apologise for that. i know you work hard on your albums, and i do like most of the tracks on them and i know they're varied in sound and artist choice! it was just something stupid i said in the rush of discussing something that i am only as passionate about as you. we all say stupid shit, you know that...

Man, do you even read what you write? "warm diarrhoea"

Think 7 times before posting something on a public forum.

What? and let us lose the only bit of fun we have? :P
djDMS Just been listening to Darwin, CLSM & Nu Foundation's HU3 mix.

I have no worries whatsoever about HU7 being able to incorporate all styles on 3 CD'S - after all, they did it on one!
latininxtc
quote:
Just been listening to Darwin, CLSM & Nu Foundation's HU3 mix.

I have no worries whatsoever about HU7 being able to incorporate all styles on 3 CD'S - after all, they did it on one!

Yup, same with the 3rd CD in HU2! Fracus and Darwin have never had any problems finding a great way to incorporate so many styles of hardcore on one disc. I imagine that Al Storm and Shimamura won't have that problem either.
Bad Corey
quote:
I haven't even started going through submissions yet. Am doing so on Saturday onwards

CDJay

Submitted a track. :) Hope you like it.
Bad Corey
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Corey:
quote:
I haven't even started going through submissions yet. Am doing so on Saturday onwards

CDJay

Submitted a track. Hope you like it.

Craigavon raver Looking forward to this especially to see what scott brown & chris fear and al storm & shimamura mixes throw up, bring on the track list

It took 2.83 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page