Radio listeners 152+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Gammer - Having a go mixtape

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
arpz So in another episode of mock-humbleness we have Gammer's latest 'mix tape' entitled 'having a go', you can download it at http://www.djgammer.com after jumping through a tweet/like hoop.

Opinions?

I was lured in by the promise of 'lots of new music' and I've listened to most of it now and it's basically all that shite that you'd expect to be hearing from him. There's maybe a couple of tracks in the whole set that I'd want to hear out/consider purchasing

expecting to be labelled a hater after this post shows up on gammers google alerts feed so just in case, don't be mad dude, there are people that like what you do, and there's a lot of people that like what you did

edit: here it is

disclaimer: the views expressed here are the views of 'arpz' and do not represent the views of happyhardcore.com or silver.
djDMS Well after that 5 star review I need to hear it straight away!
arpz
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Well after that 5 star review I need to hear it straight away!

Hahaha, I'm just saddened :(
Mortis After having a quick skip through I can honestly say I like the sound of most of this. Some dodgy pop covers, as you would expect from Gammer but some nice sounding material too. Downloaded and will be giving a proper listen later.
wong quite enjoyed it.
The drunken scotsman I'd like to hear Elliot's opinion before I give it a listen ;-)
d2kx By just having a quick skip through it you are missing out! Gammer mixes so damn fast, that a lot can happen in 2 minutes.

Regarding this mix, it is utterly fantastic. It is everything I want to hear in Hardcore in 2015 and more! It warms my heart <3
latininxtc Is this the one he played on Sunday I think? I listened to it when he broadcasted it live I quite enjoyed it for the most part.
Rodz90 It's excellent from both a mixing and production perspective. Some great sounding tunes and a lot of thought put into the creation of the mix.
Mortis I given it a good seeing too now and I quite liked it. Some dodgy ones but some really good. I think if he keeps doing these types of "mixes" (and I use that term very loosely) he should take some notes from Luna-C.
arpz Wow, maybe I'm missing the point! I'll listen again on some proper speakers instead of the mono earpiece I used at work earlier
The drunken scotsman Had a brief listen earlier and first impression is really good. Just what was needed before HTID ITS this month, looking forward to giving it a proper listen.
Bad Corey Being in the chat during the stream was mental. I've never seen a chat move so fast, and he actually hit 1st on mixlr during his stream. Enjoyed the mix thoroughly too.
silver I think it is great, as a listener and the technical aspect of his mixing.

Disclaimer: If you read this Gammer, my personal opinion is not that of the users on the site.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
I think it is great, as a listener and the technical aspect of his mixing.

Disclaimer: If you read this Gammer, my personal opinion is not that of the users on the site.

Oi, are you trying to make us look like haters again? :P

Anyways. I also skipped throu the mix. I kinda like th tracks (excluding the bouncier stuff that resemebles D&G's stuff from 2004-2007), but I still don't like the sounds used. I'm okey for a track or 2, but a whole mix sounding the same? No, if I tried to listen to this set properly, I would be suprised if I managed more than 6 minutes of it.
Mortis
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
I still don't like the sounds used. I'm okey for a track or 2

Some of them do have a "kid farting through a kazoo" type of feel.
Triquatra
quote:

considering everyone in this thread has said something nice about the mix I take it you're not a fan?
trippnface some stuff in there that is pretty cool; but some stuff i really don't like. his mixing is on point though; he makes shit happen when he tries undoubtedly . as a mix though the track selection is just too sporadic for me; those bad songs just don't fit .

Bad Corey Honestly, the EDM/Big Room trend is on the decline (even big names like Fat Boy Slim are saying it), so I'd say give it another year or so and I have a feeling Gammer's productions will move away from this sort of sound and return to more riff/vocal driven tracks like in the past, albeit with updated production. Might even return to some of the fun pre-electrocore-craze electro sounding stuff he did with Essential Platinum.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Corey:
Honestly, the EDM/Big Room trend is on the decline (even big names like Fat Boy Slim are saying it), so I'd say give it another year or so and I have a feeling Gammer's productions will move away from this sort of sound and return to more riff/vocal driven tracks like in the past, albeit with updated production. Might even return to some of the fun pre-electrocore-craze electro sounding stuff he did with Essential Platinum.

Hasn't he publicly said that stuff bored the shit out of him now?
More then likely whatever sound becomes popular after the big room horse crap has gone will be what a lot of his productions are based on.
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Corey:
Honestly, the EDM/Big Room trend is on the decline (even big names like Fat Boy Slim are saying it), so I'd say give it another year or so and I have a feeling Gammer's productions will move away from this sort of sound and return to more riff/vocal driven tracks like in the past, albeit with updated production. Might even return to some of the fun pre-electrocore-craze electro sounding stuff he did with Essential Platinum.

Hasn't he publicly said that stuff bored the shit out of him now?
More then likely whatever sound becomes popular after the big room horse crap has gone will be what a lot of his productions are based on.

j core!!!
mwahahaha!!

but seriously big room can't die quick enough; and honestly i do have some faith gamz still has magic up his sleeve. hopefully he is inspired by something more... interesting next time :p
Cubeforce Gammer will follow whatever the trend of the day is, thing is, he's the only one in hardcore that can actually pull it off. When others do it you end up with DJ Breeze making horrible "dubcore".

Really enjoyed this mix, there are a few "eh" tracks but in general it's much better than the mindless drivel most hardcore producers make these days (HU, Shimamura and some of the freeform guys excluded).
djDMS Won't comment on what I think of some of the less enjoyable content (because nobody likes EVERYTHING) but as a showcase of his talent and ability it's pretty special.
silver
quote:

When talking to Gammer in person he used to think that my personal opinion was that of everyone on the site and to a degree one or two negative comments made all comments negative..... Just don't want to give him the wrong idea.....I don't delete comments or steer discussion and allow anyone to say whatever they want, left or right of any matter.

quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
considering everyone in this thread has said something nice about the mix I take it you're not a fan?

The mod is trolling the admin? :) You must have miss the part of my comment where it said "I think it is great"
Samination
quote:
quote:

When talking to Gammer in person he used to think that my personal opinion was that of everyone on the site and to a degree one or two negative comments made all comments negative..... Just don't want to give him the wrong idea.....I don't delete comments or steer discussion and allow anyone to say whatever they want, left or right of any matter.

quote:

The mod is trolling the admin? :) You must have miss the part of my comment where it said "I think it is great"

The thread where overwhelmingly positive til you made that comment. That's kinda why we started to think like that :P
latininxtc
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

The thread where overwhelmingly positive til you made that comment. That's kinda why we started to think like that :P

Uh no I understood what Silver was saying perfectly. He's making sure that whether he likes the mix or not, that is his own opinion and not an opinion formed due to other opinions, ESPECIALLY the original poster. And I don't think it's negative to clarify and explain your own opinion.
carldj90 I thought Gammer's EP stuff was based off of hard house and not so much dub wub.

Anyway, this mix is great just like every song is amazing.
silver
quote:

No I wrote I like it, I just wanted to make sure the the original poster (who is entitled to their opinion) didn't make the entire thread look all the same... Should put up a new poll :)
arpz
quote:
quote:

No I wrote I like it, I just wanted to make sure the the original poster (who is entitled to their opinion) didn't make the entire thread look all the same... Should put up a new poll :)

I added a disclaimer to my original post ;)
Vladel Ok well that mix isn't half as bad as i expected it to be! Ok there's some bad remixes of chart songs, some bad together we're rubbish songs and he's really made some classic tracks dreary as hell (sunshine and all the tears for example) but the rest isn't bad to be honest. Some parts are even good! Not bad for a guy who has made one good track in five years.

There ya go, some negativity.
Claxton I quite enjoyed it!

It was much better than the last one he did. At least this one was all hardcore.

It didn't blow me away, but it was good, with a few gems in there.
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
I quite enjoyed it!

It was much better than the last one he did. At least this one was all hardcore.

It didn't blow me away, but it was good, with a few gems in there.

i mean i wish it was all hardcore :p
GrahamC I liked it very much (seem obliged to say my personal opinion!)

Like Qwerkout 18 months or so ago (which I still listen to ), I think it's pretty decent that he does these things and does them for free. Whether you like the content or not I think he at least deserves respect for the effort he puts in to these.
Claxton
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:
I liked it very much (seem obliged to say my personal opinion!)

Like Qwerkout 18 months or so ago (which I still listen to ), I think it's pretty decent that he does these things and does them for free. Whether you like the content or not I think he at least deserves respect for the effort he puts in to these.

Agreed! (With the respect for effort bit)
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
I'd like to hear Elliot's opinion before I give it a listen ;-)

It started good but now it is bad.
Mortis The tracklist is now available:

1. Dougal & Gammer - The World
2. Diplo & GTA - Boy oh Boy (Gammer Edit)
3. Icona Pop - I don?t Care (Acapella Drop)
4. Darren Styles - Get This Place
5. Darren Styles - Show Me The Sunshine (Gammer Remix)
6. Dougal & Gammer - Never Stop
7. Dougal & Gammer - Make It If We Try
8. Nanobii - Sugar Rush
9. Gammer & Becci - Look Back (Original Sin Remix)
10. Gammer & Becci - Look Back
11. Omegatypez - Take Me Higher (Kutski & Gammer Remix)
12. Gammer & Whizzkid - Love You Everyday
13. Jack ? - Take ? There
14. Breeze - Gotta Get
15. Dougal & Gammer - Snakebite
16. Gammer - >?< (Pigface) (Dougal & Gammer Edit)
17. Don?t Hug me Im Scared - Get Creative
18. Accelr8-bit
19. Code Black & Atmozfears - Accelerate (Darren Styles Edit)
20. Darren Styles, Dougal & Gammer, Hannah Faulkner - Top Of The World
21. ????
22. TNGHT - Higher Ground (Dougal & Gammer Edit)
23. Gammer - WTFIDE
24. Sigma - Somebody 2 Love (Gammer Edit)
25. Darren Styles, Dougal & Gammer - Stay Young!
26. Andy Whitby & Energy Syndicate - Bring It
27. Darren Styles, Re-Con & Matthew Steeper - Rest of Your Life
28. Dougal & Gammer feat. Jenna - When I Close My Eyes 2015
29. Sigma ft. Paloma Faith - Changing
30. Darren Styles - Getting Better 2014
31. Knife Party - EDM Death Machine (awww shit edit)
32. Porter Robinson - Sad Machine (Darren Styles & Gammer Remix)
33. Jack ? - Where Are ? (Darren Styles & Gammer Edit)
DUnsilence
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
15. Dougal & Gammer - Snakebite

this title isn't dog related, i'm quitting life
Vitalism i like this mix!! is it a 2002-era awesomeness? no. its 2015 awesomeness.

the sound of this genre is evolving, yes. it's different from when you first started listening, when it was "the best", and has only degraded since then. we know. i've been listening to it for nearly 15 years myself now. it changes, that is electronic music period.

the fact that gammer has been producing this weird ass, super obscure genre of music for so long is amazing in itself. he is a very, very talented and dedicated man and i can't imagine he's living a super lavish lifestyle from doing it.

i guess all there is to say is, if you don't like the way the sound of the genre is going, roll up your sleeves and have a go yourself at making what you want to hear. i'm still not even 1/100th this talented, but i am trying to learn. will i make anything ever? maybe not, and probably not even of this genre if i do. i dunno, guess all i'm saying is, sh!t changes and if you don't like it, do it yourself and better, and try to find something to appreciate about the sound of the present-day music of the genre you once loved.

Comrade_ I enjoyed the uk hardcore bits. Powerstomp isn't really my cup of tea.
Vladel I don't think there's any powerstomp in that
Samination Has Gammer ever played any powerstomp?

It took 2.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page