Radio listeners 151+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore Underground 7 *FEEDBACK*

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
CDJay First off, let me lie prostrate before our forum masters and *plead* that we don't move this one thread? It's an encapsulation of the GENERAL HARDCORE scene, and takes months, and months, and months to do. In terms of time invested and monies returned it only justifies itself as a caretaker responsibility so we really do need everyone to get behind it at every level of the scene. That includes you, moderator crew

So without further ado:

The biggest and best hardcore compilation is back! Representing the scene and all its glorious facets, this is the most essential album of the year!

3 CDs, capably compiled and mixed by Fracus & Darwin, Scott Brown & Chris Fear, Al Storm & Shimamura. Over 70 tracks veering across labels and substyles.

Shipping / Released: Monday 24th August

Cat: HUDSCD017

Format: 3xCD

CD1 - Fracus & Darwin

01. Bass Selective vs. Fracus & Darwin - Blow Out Part 4
02. Fracus & Darwin - Music's Hypnotising
03. Chris Ross & Chwhynny - Fierce As Fire
04. Fracus & Darwin feat. Drew Flanagan - Only One Of Me (Hardcore Mix)
05. Jason Bouse & Amy Kress - Alive (Daniel Seven Remix)
06. Skinny - Yes Oh Yes
07. RedMoon & Meron Ryan - Heavyweight (Fracus & Darwin Remix)
08. State - Breathe In
09. Darwin & Obie - Futureshock (Gammer Remix)
10. Chris Unknown, Re-Con & Klubfiller - Takin' Me Back
11. Code Black & Atmozfears - Accelerate (Darren Styles Edit)
12. Fracus & Darwin - Heart On Fire
13. JAKAZiD & Kendo - Bananas!
14. Fracus & Darwin feat. Jenna - Air
15. Joey & Obie - In The Dark
16. RS - Tip Of Your Tongue (Titancube Remix)
17. Outforce feat. Katrina Louise - The 1 (Stu Infinity Remix)
18. DJ Fury - Lemonade Raygun (Transcend & Cyrax Remix)
19. Gareth Emery feat. Christina Novelli - Dynamite (DJ Kurt vs. Gee, Atom & Mikey P Remix)
20. Ganar - True
21. Dys7 - Starface (Fracus & Darwin Remix)
22. Darwin & 3Star - Come And Find Me

CD2 - Scott Brown & Chris Fear

01. Scott Brown - The Bleep Song
02. Darren Styles, Dougal & Gammer - Stay Young
03. Fracus & Darwin - Break These Records
04. Chris Fear - D.T.S.I.T.I.L.U
05. Jakka-B feat. Blue Eyes - Nothing To Fear
06. Scott Brown, Weaver & JTS - Four O Five
07. Chris Fear & Frikshon - Freakz!
08. Darren Styles & Re-Con feat. Matthew Steeper - Rest Of Your Life
09. Darwin & 3Star - The Nightshift
10. Chris Fear feat. Blue Eyes - Home
11. Jason UFO & Keileigh Macdonald - Untouchable (Scott Brown Remix)
12. Eufeion - When Love Is Gone 2015
13. JTS - DDT
14. Chris Fear & AJAY - Digital Mayhem
15. Ultravibes - Lift Me Up
16. State - Make Me Come Alive
17. DJ Storm - Kickin' Hard (Scott Brown Remix)
18. Joey Riot & MOB - This Could Be Love
19. Chris Fear - Far, Far Away
20. Breeze feat. Heidi Anne - 15 Seconds
21. Scott Brown - Hardcore M*F*
22. Chris Fear - Bazz Flash
23. Scott Brown - NIMROD
24. Scott Brown - CTRL ALT DEL
25. Scott Brown - Death Is Approaching

CD3 - Al Storm & Shimamura

01. DJ Shimamura & Al Storm - Exorcism VIP
02. Doughboy - Heartbreaker (Al Storm vs. Eat Rave Mix)
03. Scott Brown & Al Storm - Evilution
04. Noriken - Come Back
05. Gammer & MC Whizzkid - Love You Everyday (Original vs. Intraspekt Mix)
06. DJ Shimamura - Junkie Vinyl
07. Black & White feat. Taya - Everything You Do (Olly P Remix)
08. B-Man & Gisbo - Still In Love
09. Fracus & Darwin - Level Up
10. Al Storm & Euphony feat. Mandy Edge - Hasta Manana
11. Bananaman - Loving You
12. Al Storm & Euphony feat. Donna-Marie - All I Wanna Do (MOB Remix)
13. Re-Con - Ignite
14. Technikore & Obie - Mr Hoover
15. Fade & Bananaman feat. Abbey - Dream Surprise (DJ Shimamura Remix)
16. Hommarju - Cathedral
17. Dougal & Gammer - Snakebite
18. A.B - Miami
19. Olly P - Shelter Me (Northeast Monsoon)
20. B.A.S.S - Teenage Kiss
21. Dougal & Gammer - Make It If We Try
22. Darwin feat. Alison Wade - Angel From The Sky (Happycore Mix)
23. Joey Riot & MOB - Suckin' On My Titties
24. MOB & Lil Bri feat. Inspiration - Footprints
25. Al Storm - Surrender (Gammer Remix)
Cyrax yes! this looks quality
robertybob Tracklist looks good, have only heard a handful of these tracks before so am looking forward to any samples you may put up :)
Claxton This looks absolutely tremendous!! Pre-ordered obviously!

I know I'm going to love all 3 discs. If I could have asked for a small improvement it would have been to see a little more brand new Shimamura material on there.

But as always, it will be brilliant!
Torpex Seeing as this album features almost everyone who means anything in uk/happy/hardcore/rave/whatever/we/call/it/nowadays, I hope we'll see the usual support and promotional push for HU7 from all the major players in the scene!
Guest HU7 rocking all 7 producers
CDJay You can safely add a 0 to that.

CDJay
Torpex Really though, it's the most diverse album in years. Well done. :)
The drunken scotsman Wow! This looks amazing will order asap
_Jay_

Should be absolutely massive. The Al Storm & Shimamura mix is going to be some seriously high-energy hands-in-the air shit! Very powerful decision to team those two up.

trippnface i almost want to wait to get the cds to even look at the tracklist and just listen to the mixes first not knowing who does any of the tracks haha....

severely doubt i can wait though
djDMS Very clever move including just about everybody who's somebody.

CDJay We always wanted to

This is the most important UK Hardcore compilation album since Bonkers 8; if this floats then there's more, if it doesn't that's the end of the road for this format in genre.

CDJay
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
We always wanted to

This is the most important UK Hardcore compilation album since Bonkers 8; if this floats then there's more, if it doesn't that's the end of the road for this format in genre.

CDJay

Wait, do you mean no more CDs???
CDJay Sorry, that was vague! Compilation CDs, I was referring to. I'm not kidding when I say it's a huge time drain; it's only worthwhile if there's enough people interested. Same as any project, to a point, but I find these the most stressful

CDJay
Captain Triceps All the more reason for everyone (EVERYONE!) to get behind this!

Mortis CDJay, you really should include a link to be able to pre-order the CD
Triquatra Pre-ordered, along with Entity's album :D
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
CDJay, you really should include a link to be able to pre-order the CD

I'm trying to keep it in this subforum, I figure if I don't put a link to the store or any pricing info I'm at least meeting halfway

I'm guessing interested parties can deduce their way to a result!

quote:
Originally posted by Triquiata:
Pre-ordered, along with Entity's album

Dunno if you saw on FB, but I ran a thing briefly where order 7000 got a complete set of EPs and Freebie CDs to date. You were 7001, but I extended it from 7000-7002 as those three landed so close.

May that be some small evidence of Karma in a real world setting. Thanks for the support, all!

CDJay
djDMS Yay, me and Rowan get free stuff!
arpz Excited! On this soon with Entity...I'm falling behind a bit lately, need Obie & the other one that I forgot last time.

Wicked though, hyped to get this
Cyrax
quote:

I'm guessing interested parties can deduce their way to a result!

you sure?, I bet you someone stills asks
Captain Triceps What if one of us posted the link, surely that's fine?

Triquatra
quote:
Dunno if you saw on FB, but I ran a thing briefly where order 7000 got a complete set of EPs and Freebie CDs to date. You were 7001, but I extended it from 7000-7002 as those three landed so close.

May that be some small evidence of Karma in a real world setting. Thanks for the support, all!

CDJay

Excited! :D Thank you!!
Cyrax
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
What if one of us posted the link, surely that's fine?

don't you dare!

robertybob
quote:
We always wanted to

CDJay

Are you saying you need to sell out within the next 6 months or so? Is that a good indicator of it's popularity, or would 80% sold over 12 months still be acceptable?

Are you allowed to disclose how many copies have been pressed, just to give us some idea?
CDJay If I was more confident about the entire scene getting behind it, I'd shoot for 1000 again. As it is, we're edging towards 750. I don't *really* want to sell out of stock,at all, but perhaps it is a better model, going forward, to sell out of physical in the sort of timeframe you noted, and have it available digitally from that point. We're still playing with that sort of thing.

It's not exactly a trade secret, at this point, enough people have had tracks on HU6 who will know how many were sold . I will note this is a fraction of what we did on HU4/Presents 2010 and an expected trade off of moving towards a direct sale model. Bizarrely, it's actually a more profitable model on a per track basis, even with half the units sold. The tragedy is that economies of scale dictate that if we could do even 1500, the per track earnings become *really* good. We're back to the wider scene getting behind it, there, unfortunately.

Who knows, maybe this is (finally) the moment? If it actually gets traction, we can always turn around a repress in a fortnight......

CDJay
latininxtc It'll be interesting to see who involved in this project will help promote the album, even in pre-order status, and who doesn't. That really should go a long way!

But I reckon it'll be the same culprits who don't do their part unless we bitch about it on their FB page. If they couldn't even bother to promote their own albums during pre-order status, I don't have a lot of hope for them this time around.
Torpex Surely everyone can see the absurdity here?

It's a challenge to find 750 people willing to pay for the only compilation in "happy" hardcore.

750 people.

WORLDWIDE.

:/
CDJay You're right, let's presume a moderate victory. 1000 it is.

CDJay
Torpex Oh, you.
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by Torpex:
Surely everyone can see the absurdity here?

It's a challenge to find 750 people willing to pay for the only compilation in "happy" hardcore.

750 people.

WORLDWIDE.

:/

Nuts.

Do you think it's a case that people just don't buy CDs....or has hardcore just fallen off the radar and nobody really knows what it is anymore

I've often wondered what sort of response you would get if a person went into a school, like at assembly time and asked "who here has heard of UK hardcore/happy hardcore?" then asked "who has heard of dubstep?"

perhaps other genres are overshadowing the next generation of listeners to come through? Not that there was a huge platform anyway, but the whole tv-advertised, chart topping hardcore album days seem to be way behind us; I can't understand why someone in school right now *wouldn't* like what is on HU7, it's a current sound.

I feel like rockin' up in the car park after school with it pumping out, boot open and selling copies out the back of the car; hand out a few flyers.

or maybe I'm wrong and they'll ask what they're suppose to do with one of these "CDS"...."will it fit in my Ipod?"...then offer to walk me across the road or perhaps call the old folks home to tell them where I am :D

Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Nuts.

Do you think it's a case that people just don't buy CDs....or has hardcore just fallen off the radar and nobody really knows what it is anymore

I can't speak for the hardcore scene specifically, but it does seem that people just don't buy CDs. I know maybe 3 other people who do. Even my mom thinks I'm crazy when I buy CDs, and she says I should just use digital (as if CD isn't a digital format) and tells me to "get with the times."

It wouldn't be so frustrating if she just said that she didn't care about owning CDs, but I hate it when she or other people think I'm silly for wanting to actually own something.
djDMS Maybe, but it's more like the Hardcore scene is full of people who either
a) Talk shit. 'Yeah wicked mate, I'm buying this' (only to not bother)
b) Talk even more shit. 'Wow, banging mate, really want this' (only to not bother THEN illegally download it).

Lots of people talk a good game but never see it through.

Not just Hardcore of course, but in a scene this small it matters more.
CDJay It's a heavily divided niche.

Even now I seek out up and coming producers who say things like "I never paid too much attention to HU".

That's catastrophic in the current climate, and entirely borne of things way out of our control. It's fixable, but requires a real U-Turn from vast swathes of industry; Ignoring us before I would argue was short sighted, even counterproductive, but right now it's lemmingcidal.

CDJay
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Maybe, but it's more like the Hardcore scene is full of people who either
a) Talk shit. 'Yeah wicked mate, I'm buying this' (only to not bother)
b) Talk even more shit. 'Wow, banging mate, really want this' (only to not bother THEN illegally download it).

Lots of people talk a good game but never see it through.

Not just Hardcore of course, but in a scene this small it matters more.

Or

c) They ARE shit. "No Gammerz or Stylez mixing this??? Not buying it!"
Bad Corey
quote:
It's a heavily divided niche.

Even now I seek out up and coming producers who say things like "I never paid too much attention to HU".

That's catastrophic in the current climate, and entirely borne of things way out of our control. It's fixable, but requires a real U-Turn from vast swathes of industry; Ignoring us before I would argue was short sighted, even counterproductive, but right now it's lemmingcidal.

CDJay

And here I am with "get a track a HU main CD" on my bucket list. The fact that there are hardcore producers who haven't "paid much attention to HU" is mind-blowing to me.
warped_candykid Japan still buys CDs.
Vladel With the popularity/unpopularity of hardcore, i guess it's hard to explain how it seems to have come about but i flatly blame the futureworld boys. Dubstep fans are never going to like hardcore and casual listeners to hardcore could have been largely put off by it (i know a few). It may take years to shrug off the damage these self serving idiots did to the scene by driving away the casual listeners, and it's not going to get better with download sites being full of shit at a percentage of 90%. Where it comes to HU, you have to have a certain level of interest to know who they are. That's why the casual listener misses the whole point and it is underground, it's in the name, should we really complain when we get what we want?

Yeah sure things could be bigger and we could have more listeners, but then the top tier would be all over it and HU would be ruined. Let them twats who are too good for their listeners have their scene and we will have ours for as long as it lasts because it's the purity that counts and i'd rather have a small scene i love than a huge one i hate.
The drunken scotsman Just pre-ordered this along with Whizzkids forthcoming album.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
With the popularity/unpopularity of hardcore, i guess it's hard to explain how it seems to have come about but i flatly blame the futureworld boys. Dubstep fans are never going to like hardcore and casual listeners to hardcore could have been largely put off by it (i know a few). It may take years to shrug off the damage these self serving idiots did to the scene by driving away the casual listeners, and it's not going to get better with download sites being full of shit at a percentage of 90%. Where it comes to HU, you have to have a certain level of interest to know who they are. That's why the casual listener misses the whole point and it is underground, it's in the name, should we really complain when we get what we want?

Yeah sure things could be bigger and we could have more listeners, but then the top tier would be all over it and HU would be ruined. Let them twats who are too good for their listeners have their scene and we will have ours for as long as it lasts because it's the purity that counts and i'd rather have a small scene i love than a huge one i hate.

Torpex
quote:

I didn't want to come across as bitter, it just hit me as a genuine surprise. CDs are obviously collectibles and a way to say "here scene/artist, have my money". Their value as actual music media is, um, questionable. The 1st thing I do is rip them to flac. For some idiotic reason there's no easily accessible usb/aux in in our car's stereo, so the CDs make a bit more sense in my case, but then it's still easier to rip 3 CDs and burn them as mp3s to a single disc. Either way, CD = useless without the collector/fan value.

Even so, having to decide whether you should press 750 or 1500 copies of the only scene-wide compilation, available easier than ever before, is... worrying. :/ Add what CDJay is saying about the hassle or the whole project compared to, say, artist albums, and the thing starts to make very little sense business-wise. Sure, you can be the paladin of the music 24/7, living off the positive energy of 750 people, but life's shown that it doesn't work very well in the long term. The business side of things needs to make sense too.

@CDJay: are you going to come up with shareable video/audio trailer for HU7? I feel it's super important to provide those nowadays. People won't really notice static cover art and are too lazy to go through a preview playlist.
CDJay Absolutely, closer to release

CDJay
trippnface
quote:
With the popularity/unpopularity of hardcore, i guess it's hard to explain how it seems to have come about but i flatly blame the futureworld boys. Dubstep fans are never going to like hardcore and casual listeners to hardcore could have been largely put off by it (i know a few). It may take years to shrug off the damage these self serving idiots did to the scene by driving away the casual listeners, and it's not going to get better with download sites being full of shit at a percentage of 90%. Where it comes to HU, you have to have a certain level of interest to know who they are. That's why the casual listener misses the whole point and it is underground, it's in the name, should we really complain when we get what we want?

i like it pure ;p

nobody cut my hardcore !

fafaforza You should definitely explore digital downloads. I'm in the US and initially was looking for the download links. Had to wait for the CDs to be shipped to me in Brooklyn instead. Though that didn't take too long. But many people probably don't want to have to rip them then hold on to the physical. There's honestly not much retaining value in them.

Back in the day, metal and rock CDs used to have cool content, pics, full lyrics to every track. These days, they only have a track listing. I'd rather just have a download link instead. And you guys don't have to mull whether to order another pressing and maybe sell 200 out of the second 750 order. Much more flexibility, and you'll save on postage costs to America :)
CDJay The problem is that it has been, repeatedly, proven that digital albums just don't sell.

If we try to offer the option, it will just end up making things ever less sustainable.

In the near-future we're going to tie digital rights to CD purchases, which means that people don't have to wait for CDs to arrive but still ultimately get it for the collection.

Further in the future I suspect we'll move to a deluxe limited run model for high profile projects, and digital for the rest. Hard to say.

I didn't mean to cast a doom and gloom over things; frankly being able to shift 1000 CDs of *anything* new, at the moment, is quite an accomplishment!

CDJay

Vladel The scene is dead without HU plain and simple.
trippnface CD'S rule. the aspect of a physical copy is just pleasing; not to mention a CD is permanent high quality streaming; that is priceless over digital any day

also; when the next carrington event sized solar flare hits and the electronic apocalypse occurs; we are REALLY going to want cds ;)
versia There are some freeform labels that don't have a problem shifting 250-500 copies of their CDs (Rebuild, Stamina, Smiling Corpse etc.), the model seems to be working well in that community, so I don't see how HU should have a problem shifting 1000 with bigger names like Scott Brown and Al Storm etc. They even have Shimumura this year which will get the Japanese crowd on side too. I've often thought HU should include a J-Core CD for variety purposes but I guess I'm in the minority in that thought. The Shimumura CD is a step in the right direction though IMO.
robertybob CDJay, I have your solution.

Scrap the artwork, add a woman in a bikini.

Sorted.

You're welcome ;)

But seriously, I thought way more than 750 people would attend just one HU rave, so I'm surprised that obviously not everyone wants to own a copy of the music they've most likely just heard (?). I like your Amazon-ish idea of digital downloads tied in to the CDs, I'm too lazy to rip my music and add the correct tags etc.
_Jay_
quote:
In the near-future we're going to tie digital rights to CD purchases, which means that people don't have to wait for CDs to arrive but still ultimately get it for the collection.

That's good.

quote:
Originally posted by robertybob:
CDJay, I have your solution.

Sorted.

They should just fcuking do it as an experiment. Seriously. Call it Hardcore Underground Exposed or something. Slap a saucy tart across the front.

Could to a Beat Bukkake version (this is a phrase I've really been pushing for a few years, but it's not getting any traction). The cover could feature a bird down here knees with a load of glowsticks slapping her about the face.

latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
quote:

That's good.

quote:
Originally posted by robertybob:
CDJay, I have your solution.

Sorted.

They should just fcuking do it as an experiment. Seriously. Call it Hardcore Underground Exposed or something. Slap a saucy tart across the front.

Could to a Beat Bukkake version (this is a phrase I've really been pushing for a few years, but it's not getting any traction). The cover could feature a bird down here knees with a load of glowsticks slapping her about the face.

You can always organize your own event and call it just that! Hardcore Highlights presents... BEAT BUKKAKE!
_Jay_

Beat Bukkake has been on almost every list that I've made when I've been thinking about potential names for a rave that I will one day put on.

djDMS Anyone else experiencing deja vu here?.....
_Jay_
quote:
Anyone else experiencing deja vu here?.....

With regards to?

latininxtc
quote:
quote:

With regards to?

my guess is bukkakes?
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:

With regards to?

my guess is bukkakes?

And the event ;-)
_Jay_
quote:
And the event ;-)

It'll happen one day mate, in some form or other. There's still time.

djDMS Yes mate, hopefully my grandkids will be able to go then tell me about it when they visit my grave.
Jacco @CDJay I'm just gonna throw in an idea on the digital release. I like the idea of linking digital rights to the purchase of the actual medium. How about giving people who purchase the CD the option to either get the digital version right away or get a voucher code for 3 (or whatever makes sense) free tracks from the HU store? That might make people use the store and buy more single tracks in the future.

I personally don't have any CD drive but I want that album and even more importantly I want to support you so we will see more great compilations in the future. I get your point that pure digital releases don't sell well but I am sure that you're losing customers by not offering any kind of digital release.
GrahamC
quote:
Originally posted by Jacco:
@CDJay I'm just gonna throw in an idea on the digital release. I like the idea of linking digital rights to the purchase of the actual medium. How about giving people who purchase the CD the option to either get the digital version right away or get a voucher code for 3 (or whatever makes sense) free tracks from the HU store? That might make people use the store and buy more single tracks in the future.

I personally don't have any CD drive but I want that album and even more importantly I want to support you so we will see more great compilations in the future. I get your point that pure digital releases don't sell well but I am sure that you're losing customers by not offering any kind of digital release.

CDJay - hows about a batch of HU USBs again, this time with the album in digital form? You still get something to own, people with no CD Drives on their computers (like me!) are sorted :)

BTW - I take my discs to work and rip them there.
latininxtc For you twats bitching about not having a CD drive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-External-Portable-CD-ROM-Drive/dp/B001GRNM6K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1438451128&sr=8-4&keywords=cd+drive

I'm sure they have more affordable versions.
CDJay No need if we sort the digital rights thing

CDJay
GrahamC
quote:
For you twats bitching about not having a CD drive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-External-Portable-CD-ROM-Drive/dp/B001GRNM6K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1438451128&sr=8-4&keywords=cd+drive

I'm sure they have more affordable versions.

Well, I certainly wasn't bitching about not having the drive so not sure the 'twats' comment was aimed at me or not, I have found a solid solution for myself that works - discs, thumb drive, work PC, 10 mins of unattended work and job done. Box goes on the shelf, remains pristine.

CDs sadly are a dying format, like it or not. I didn't like it when Vinyl massively declined, I was traumatised throwing away my cassettes and I can't get CD singles any more and it annoys me. I like to have something to hold in my hand.

Digital, like it or not (not) is how it is going now so it is not unreasonable to at least ask for the album in that format. CDJay has his business model and thats up to him & HU and I respect that. I actually thought selling the album in a digital yet physical format (USB) was a kinda cool idea myself but get why it was dismissed.
CDJay We're fully mindful of the need to find a halfway solution, now, and a sustainable one longer term. Doing anything aside from CDs on release day will inevitably detract from CD sales which is the one thing actually working so I'm wary. The better position HU, and the scene, feels in then the more we're likely to really explore a rejig.

In the immediate future, though, I just really, truly, hope everyone gets behind this. I listened through the final mastered mixes last night and it really *is* great. It reminds me of Bonkers 8; on Bonkers 7 there were attempts to shoehorn trance in and it was met with.. well, less than universal acclaim. By the time Bonkers Resurrection happened, there was pent up demand the melding was much more convincing. That's the same here; after the dubcore era, we got the usual scene wide mass adoption of EDM noises and not always fused convincingly. On HU7 it sounds like hardcore. Yes, there are tracks that I fully expect traditionalists of any prior era to balk at, and yes, overall, it's going to have moved a fraction away from where things were a few years back. It just feels.... current, and invigorating. I can absolutely imagine someone who is barely familiar with the genre finding this to be a gateway. I can see it rekindling passion and hope for the future in the longer serving scene survivors.

I can absolutely see that there will be people who have been with us for the whole ride, or fervent fetishists of substyles less represented than in previous volumes, may protest this is no longer "Underground". To those people, let me state the obvious: In the past the HU series was an alternative album; it showcased the artists/tracks/substyles that the major comps didn't. There aren't any of those now; we've essentially had to fill the void at the top without losing our footing. The good news is that it's actually let us do what I ultimately wanted in the first place; showcase *everything*. I mean, there are some shifts around in style here you just wouldn't have got anywhere else. We're emboldened, and that's a truly great thing if it works.

In case you can't tell, I'm essentially happy with it

CDJay
warped_candykid Hixxy's Bonkers 8 mix was pretty solid. I got my pre-order in!
Claxton
quote:
We're fully mindful of the need to find a halfway solution, now, and a sustainable one longer term. Doing anything aside from CDs on release day will inevitably detract from CD sales which is the one thing actually working so I'm wary. The better position HU, and the scene, feels in then the more we're likely to really explore a rejig.

In the immediate future, though, I just really, truly, hope everyone gets behind this. I listened through the final mastered mixes last night and it really *is* great. It reminds me of Bonkers 8; on Bonkers 7 there were attempts to shoehorn trance in and it was met with.. well, less than universal acclaim. By the time Bonkers Resurrection happened, there was pent up demand the melding was much more convincing. That's the same here; after the dubcore era, we got the usual scene wide mass adoption of EDM noises and not always fused convincingly. On HU7 it sounds like hardcore. Yes, there are tracks that I fully expect traditionalists of any prior era to balk at, and yes, overall, it's going to have moved a fraction away from where things were a few years back. It just feels.... current, and invigorating. I can absolutely imagine someone who is barely familiar with the genre finding this to be a gateway. I can see it rekindling passion and hope for the future in the longer serving scene survivors.

I can absolutely see that there will be people who have been with us for the whole ride, or fervent fetishists of substyles less represented than in previous volumes, may protest this is no longer "Underground". To those people, let me state the obvious: In the past the HU series was an alternative album; it showcased the artists/tracks/substyles that the major comps didn't. There aren't any of those now; we've essentially had to fill the void at the top without losing our footing. The good news is that it's actually let us do what I ultimately wanted in the first place; showcase *everything*. I mean, there are some shifts around in style here you just wouldn't have got anywhere else. We're emboldened, and that's a truly great thing if it works.

In case you can't tell, I'm essentially happy with it

CDJay

Amen!
fafaforza
quote:
Originally posted by Jacco:

I want to support you so we will see more great compilations in the future. I get your point that pure digital releases don't sell well but I am sure that you're losing customers by not offering any kind of digital release.

Agreed with this. It would be a nice bonus to get an mp3 link, especially since it takes me about a week or more to get the physical media in the US.
CDJay That's one of the key drivers; it would be nice to be able to level the playing field a bit for international peeps (who make up an ever increasing percentage!).

Reckon it might help encourage more impulse purchases, too

CDJay
Impulse_Response Whatever alternatives you pursue, please keep releasing everything on CD forever.
djDMS Only just got to listen to the F&D guest mix on KTRA. Jesus Christ it's good!
trippnface man i duno about some of those chris fear tracks xp
i hope scott really dominates that mix cuz i can't say i have even heard chris fear produce any hardcore i like and alot of that recent stuff he is pushing has that big time big room/trappy sound

did he ask about working HU7 or was he asked to do it; i feel like another dj could of fit much much better to be honest. but i get the whole encompassing all parts of the current scene thing....
Mortis
quote:
Only just got to listen to the F&D guest mix on KTRA. Jesus Christ it's good!

Some good stuff there. I'm especially liking Join Us Now. This style of hardcore is something I've been experimenting with for a while now myself. I hope it catches on.
Mortis
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
man i duno about some of those chris fear tracks xp
i hope scott really dominates that mix cuz i can't say i have even heard chris fear produce any hardcore i like and alot of that recent stuff he is pushing has that big time big room/trappy sound

did he ask about working HU7 or was he asked to do it; i feel like another dj could of fit much much better to be honest. but i get the whole encompassing all parts of the current scene thing....

You might like his tune Far Far Away, it's quite Shimamura esque:

Elipton
quote:
quote:

The sample he's using for that bassline goes horribly out of tune in the lower notes. It's probably keyed in properly, but wav samples can go very odd when you modulate them. From experience, I think it's because the sample slows down, so the vibrato effect is slower also.

If that's corrected, it's a bloody good track. Lovely feel to the breakdowns, great melodies and the concept behind the bouncy kick and bass are great. Vocal sample could use with a little less repetition though. Reverse it, timestretch it, go crazy with it - heck why not.
warped_candykid
quote:
quote:

I love this tune!!! I looked it up before I put my pre-order in. Well, Chris Fear was on Best of 2013, so I guess that's why he was asked back. My question is, is Hixxy not producing at the moment? In a way, it would be kinda nice to hear a mix from Hixxy on such a big album, but only if he pulled out the old style mixing he was so good at!
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
quote:
quote:

I love this tune!!! I looked it up before I put my pre-order in. Well, Chris Fear was on Best of 2013, so I guess that's why he was asked back. My question is, is Hixxy not producing at the moment? In a way, it would be kinda nice to hear a mix from Hixxy on such a big album, but only if he pulled out the old style mixing he was so good at!

actually not too bad of a track; hopefully he keeps it pretty solid for HU

forgot about 2013 ; but i even feel like that mix was good cuz of sc@r haha.

just dont wana see scoot brought down!!

** & hixxy would def be sweet. vagabond & dowster are still pumpin out toons too they are so quite about it though

***double edit : WHY NOT SC@R & BROWN
_Jay_
quote:

That is fcuking massive! Never heard that. Love it.

Vladel The tracklist i think contains more songs that are out/available than previous albums?
CDJay Possibly, although that's as much down to a need to snapshot the past 18 months (nothing else is!) as anything.

Still, well over half is unreleased

(Although not for long, as we're pushing to get almost everything HU related out between September and November)

CDJay

Vladel Oh I wasn't criticising it's just an observation
Elliott
quote:
I feel like rockin' up in the car park after school with it pumping out, boot open and selling copies out the back of the car; hand out a few flyers.

That won't look dodgy. :P

quote:
perhaps other genres are overshadowing the next generation of listeners to come through? Not that there was a huge platform anyway, but the whole tv-advertised, chart topping hardcore album days seem to be way behind us; I can't understand why someone in school right now *wouldn't* like what is on HU7, it's a current sound.

The relative success of last decade's sound and hardcore's struggle to recapture anything like that level of success after selling out supports the idea that the older sound was actually better (which a lot of us already knew).
CDJay That's debatable; the sound had become some formulaic and overdone that things were already tapering off (with older crowd pleasers featuring more and more regularly in live sets). There is zero doubt that the established players were running off fumes in terms of inspiration, and the mid tier had been slowly bled out of existence. Not sure swinging the completely other direction, and isolating the remaining audience, was the way to go though!

As I said earlier, we're closer to Bonkers 8 territory now. There are *elements* of EDM, and even Dubcore, present but it's all much more sensibly integrated and the result is far more identifiable as "hardcore" without relying entirely on BPM as the defining characteristic. What we really need is:

1- established artists writing more, and with passion
2- recent breakthrough artists focusing on the genre ( this is actually happening )
3 - new talent to get support and A&R (also happening)

HU7 is a baby step, towards recovery, but at a time where we're seeing promising things in the UK *and* abroad.

CDJay

Cyrax
quote:
As I said earlier, we're closer to Bonkers 8 territory now. There are *elements* of EDM, and even Dubcore,

And some Freeform, thanks for including the remix CDJAY you sexy man!
Vladel The bleep song shows that the old sound can come across as very fresh when it's inspired and filled with talent (true talent) that very few of the top tier have.
Elliott
quote:
That's debatable; the sound had become some formulaic and overdone that things were already tapering off (with older crowd pleasers featuring more and more regularly in live sets). There is zero doubt that the established players were running off fumes in terms of inspiration, and the mid tier had been slowly bled out of existence. Not sure swinging the completely other direction, and isolating the remaining audience, was the way to go though!

As I said earlier, we're closer to Bonkers 8 territory now. There are *elements* of EDM, and even Dubcore, present but it's all much more sensibly integrated and the result is far more identifiable as "hardcore" without relying entirely on BPM as the defining characteristic. What we really need is:

1- established artists writing more, and with passion
2- recent breakthrough artists focusing on the genre ( this is actually happening )
3 - new talent to get support and A&R (also happening)

HU7 is a baby step, towards recovery, but at a time where we're seeing promising things in the UK *and* abroad.

CDJay

I acknowledge that the genre had started to decline in popularity at the end of last decade but, in my mind, the modern sound(s) and diversification of hardcore has only accelerated that process.

It's obviously impossible to prove either way but I suspect we wouldn't be in this quandary if we'd stuck with the sound that achieved mainstream success in the first place. People liked it. They don't like what we have now.

If people liked UK hardcore in 2007 just because it was mainstream dance music sped up then why don't they like mainstream dance music sped up in 2015? (my answer is irrelevant but it would be that mainstream dance music has been in a horrible place for years and we should never try to imitate it ever)

Tl;dr: '07 was the time.

quote:
The bleep song shows that the old sound can come across as very fresh when it's inspired and filled with talent (true talent) that very few of the top tier have.

Truth. Although I think it's indisputable that the likes of Styles, Re-Con, Dougal, Gammer and even Hixxy have tons of talent, even if they're currently misapplying it.
djDMS Where's all this 'mainstream success' people keep talking about?

The fact that Hardcore has been more popular in the past doesn't mean it was (or ever will be) big business.
Elliott
quote:
Where's all this 'mainstream success' people keep talking about?

The fact that Hardcore has been more popular in the past doesn't mean it was (or ever will be) big business.

Okay then substitute "success" for "relative success" :P
Vladel Better than it is now and I think a lot of that is people trying to make the music get taken more seriously. Cdjay was right about it being important that there has to be more to it than just the tempo and I think we really have lost something here. The sooner the top tier detach themselves from the scene the better and instead of slagging off everyone who thinks they made an error. The TWR lot should just leave and call it something else.
arpz FINALLY got my preorder in for this and Entity :)

Can't wait :)
CDJay Stock expected tail end of this week; as much as I normally loathe announcing delays (even when small) this time it *wasn't* a logistical F** up, or problems with the assets, it was simply that I wanted the Dynamite Remix on HU7 and the Cube::Hard remix of "Spice" on Material.

If we'd pulled the trigger any earlier than we did, neither would be on the respective projects.

So I sleep more soundly, than usual, this time out

(IE if people get antsy, this time, it's actually *my* fault for a change! )

CDJay
djDMS Well in THAT case...
Vladel I'd be shocked if there wasn't a delay 😆
CDJay Not as shocked as us!

CDJay
Samination don't jinx it you fools
Bee-Trax Did someone mention Bonkers 7? :D
djDMS No.

Bee-hive yourself.
warped_candykid My order still says "Pre-Order"...does that mean I didn't make Monday shipping?
CDJay We started with UK orders on Monday as they are much quicker to process, all bar 4 orders are out as of end of play today

CDJay
_Jay_

Smashing effort.

Can't believe I hadn't actually ordered until yesterday. Very weak performance from me.

CDJay You can achieve convincing penance at the 45 pound tier on the Blu The Roof Kickstarter

CDJay
_Jay_
I already backed it, didn't I? And at ?75? Was it? Can't remember!

Edit: I did!

CDJay Hero.

CDJay
djDMS I'm looking to up mine slightly before the end of the month. The kids have had enough to eat this week.
CDJay That's my baby. Feed it

CDJay
_Jay_
quote:
Hero.

CDJay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy9ih5OVLRY

CDJay First HU7 review is in!

"I also said, and I sincerely mean this - HU7 is like me picking up Bonkers 20 years ago. Considering I'm the most miserable ****er on the planet, take that as the best compliment you'll ever get."

There, that's expectations raised unreasonably high for everyone else.

*holds hand outstretched, flat, palm down*

No shaking. Bring it on.

CDJay
djDMS Someone dig up the thread for 'Material' before I start a new one to tell the world how great it is
Claxton
CDJay
quote:
Someone dig up the thread for 'Material' before I start a new one to tell the world how great it is

It's in the other forum, as it would have got moved there anyway. Page 1. Go

CDJay
Claxton That's my 'feetback'.
Hard2Get
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
That's my 'feetback'.

That looks like the sort of thing some people might enjoy.
Cyrax I'm confident mine will be waiting for me when I get back from work, in the same vein as when people google where they live the first time they use google earth, I will be skipping CD 1 straight to my track to see how it's mixed between the cheesy sandwich of Hardcore.

Also full track which is 7.04 minutes and available here :
https://projectbadass.bandcamp.com/album/project-badass-volume-3

will be edited and i'm interested to see how much they kept,

Either way I'll be blasting all three CD's for the next couple of days, looks fab
_Jay_

Just typing out all the track IDs into iTunes. Fortunately my experience in data entry earlier in my career allows me to breeze through this ordinarily laborious process in minutes. I refuse to listen to anything until the tags are in order.

Ben - smashing snap, that! Definitely shouldn't invite "the internet" to photoshop in some kind of skat scene.

Torpex Can't iTunes fetch the info from CD text or something? Foobar seems to be doing it automatically:

http://i.imgur.com/LR1jVCj.png

Ripping now. :)
Ikstra
quote:

Just typing out all the track IDs into iTunes. Fortunately my experience in data entry earlier in my career allows me to breeze through this ordinarily laborious process in minutes. I refuse to listen to anything until the tags are in order.

If you're stuck with using iTunes to play music, mp3tag and many other media managers will allow importing tags from filename/CDDB without replacing your general purpose media player.
_Jay_

Thank you! Will use that in future!

Cyrax Will actually give this a review, gonna be playing it all weekend

_Jay_

Chris Fear - Far, Far Away.

The outstanding track on the album so far. Absolutely magical. When/where will this be released? It's absolutely fcuking huge.

djscavenger
quote:

Chris Fear - Far, Far Away.

The outstanding track on the album so far. Absolutely magical. When/where will this be released? It's absolutely fcuking huge.

agreed it's a monster tune. He needs to made more like this!
CDJay Hey kids! Ever wanted to ask questions regarding either this volume, or other albums in this series? Perhaps something to CDJay about HU as an operation, or ask Fracus & Darwin about music stuff?

Tonight myself, Fracus, Darwin and Chwhynny will all be doing an hour Ask Me Anything on Twitter between 8 and 9 P.M. local time

CDJay

djscavenger My quick review:

CD 1 Fracus & Darwin

Good mix of different styles,
stand out tracks:
Music's Hypnotising
Heavyweight
Air
Starface
The 1

I enjoyed this mix because of the variety and give a taste of what the next Fracus & Darwin artist album. No real negatives but 'Banana's' is a rather odd track.

Scott Brown & Chris Fear

Stand out tracks:
Far, Far away (one of the best on the album)
Kickin Hard
Stay Young

Probably my least favourite mix. Too many baseline style tracks for my tatse and is missing a couple of Scott Brown vocal anthems (though he has not done many of late mostly remixes).

Al Storm & DJ Shimamura

Stand out tracks:
Heartbreaker
Come Back
Junkie Vinyl
Level up
Dream Surprise
Mr Hoover
Ignite
Make it if wee try
Angel from the sky
Surrender

Al Storm delivers again, he always does such a great job on the Hardcore Underground series. Shimamura is doing some amazing things at the moment and it would have been nice if a few more tracks of his were included but there are so many great tracks in this mix, it doesn't suffer for it.

Overall a diverse cross section of current Hardcore thats well worth a purchase
whittle1 Great album. My only gripe is there isn't enough length in some of the tracks featured. Any tracks less than three minutes just isn't enough, and I think HU7 falls short in this aspect. Even on some of podcasts and mixes on Soundcloud you can actually hear MORE of the track, so you might as well just download them from there. Hopefully this feedback gets passed on to the right person :)
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by whittle1:
Great album. My only gripe is there isn't enough length in some of the tracks featured. Any tracks less than three minutes just isn't enough, and I think HU7 falls short in this aspect. Even on some of podcasts and mixes on Soundcloud you can actually hear MORE of the track, so you might as well just download them from there. Hopefully this feedback gets passed on to the right person :)

Oh this never ending argument on track length on a mix. The point of these albums is to showcase the mix in its entirety, not just individual tracks. They're also a great marketing tool for those who hear something that they want to own the full version of. You want the longer version, then wait patiently and eventually it will be released on a future album or digital download.
latininxtc
quote:

jordesuvi Read up to page 5. Regardless of whether it's in CD or digital format, music doesn't sell.
Most of the money is in streaming and ticket sales now.

If I would be one to make a suggestion...

I've noticed barely any underground genres utilize what the rest of the music world is doing.

Those looking for exposure can connect their accounts to places like ToneDen. Whilst there's a small fee to pay after the free trial, if you put a track up for free people have to like, follow and sometimes comment or repost that track to their profile if they want to download it.
Voila, your track just got shared.

Also, monetization through streaming is where it's at. Granted, Spotify sucks and I'm actually in favour of Taylor Swift removing her discography from there. Otherwise, I have high hopes for Apple Music who are a little more generous at paying artists their revenue.

I've seen reports of monetization on SoundCloud streaming being thrown around but I'm unsure what stage that is in now, or whether it's just a rumour.

Finally, I'd like to see hardcore artists at multi-genre shows. I saw one here where DJ EZ is playing the mainstage whilst Styles and a few others are hanging somewhere else.
Instead of having hardcore only shows, why not try integrate hardcore into multi-genre events?
Maybe even the DJ's hand CD's/freebies out at the multi-genre events?
Claxton Has anyone managed to successfully get the tracks tagged automatically whilst ripping the CD yet? If so, how?
Vladel
quote:
quote:
Great album. My only gripe is there isn't enough length in some of the tracks featured. Any tracks less than three minutes just isn't enough, and I think HU7 falls short in this aspect. Even on some of podcasts and mixes on Soundcloud you can actually hear MORE of the track, so you might as well just download them from there. Hopefully this feedback gets passed on to the right person :)

Oh this never ending argument on track length on a mix. The point of these albums is to showcase the mix in its entirety, not just individual tracks. They're also a great marketing tool for those who hear something that they want to own the full version of. You want the longer version, then wait patiently and eventually it will be released on a future album or digital download.

Yeah i realised that off the entire HU6 album there is only one track i still have listed on my ipod which funnily enough was one i couldn't purchase in full (ie not released anywhere).

arpz ExactAudioCopy (EAC) should be everyones ripping tool, it takes a little bit of setup but it will handle all the tagging etc. If it can't find titles then you can copy a tracklist to your clipboard and then read it and it'll automatically set the name for each track.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

If you're interested in this stuff, it'll provide you with a detailed 'error log' etc, it's a tool for audiophiles and will therefore produce the best quality rips you can get.
AoS_Lorenzo http://hardcoreravenetwork.blogspot.com/2015/08/hardcore-underground-7-disc-1-fracus.html
My review on Disc 1.
djDMS Loving all 3 mixes so far on first listen.

Will return later with a better review

*SPOILER ALERT* May contain negatives ;-)
trippnface want.... CD !! :(

** geez if they get to the eastcoast/midwest a few days ago they should be on west coast by now...god damn pony express!
Mortis I wasn't going to say anything on this until I had heard the whole album but I had to comment when I heard Level Up! What a tune. More tunes should be like this, balls off to the glitchy "look what I can do with my automation" and get back to what made this scene so good in the first place, unashamed fun and energy. Love it!
alstorm
quote:
I wasn't going to say anything on this until I had heard the whole album but I had to comment when I heard Level Up! What a tune. More tunes should be like this, balls off to the glitchy "look what I can do with my automation" and get back to what made this scene so good in the first place, unashamed fun and energy. Love it!

love it, simple, catchy does what it needs to, nothing more nothing less .. win!

robertybob
quote:

Haven't purchased yet, but this worries me (as it always does before purchasing). Would someone be able to post the track lengths (or point me in the right direction?)
Mortis Track lengths can be found here: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Hardcore-Underground-7/release/7386965
Vladel I haven't decided whether i'm getting it or not based upon having bought all the tracks i like (that are avaliable, some are still not ) and while its not HUs fault, it means that there's one track from HU6 i still have on my ipod after the rest have all been bought in full which makes me wonder if its worth the purchase. An odd thing i guess with compilations is how sometimes i think i'd rather not know a song exists if i can't buy the full version ever.
CDJay Which track, out of interest?

CDJay
piumaki Received my hu order this morning, very good way to start the week! Listening to Fracus & Darwin mix now while working and I'm enjoying it very much so far!

quote:
Has anyone managed to successfully get the tracks tagged automatically whilst ripping the CD yet? If so, how?

I had no problems ripping it with foobar2000 player :)

Vladel
quote:
Which track, out of interest?

CDJay

Still missing archelix - say goodbye from HU6 and a full version of haunted I never found. There's also goodbye and how long from klubfillers disk on hu13 that I'm still hoping will turn up.
CDJay I will sort something with Say Goodbye, and Haunted is on Dark Shadows 2.

Now go buy hu7/pledge for blu-ray

CDJay
warped_candykid Got my copy!

Maybe it's just because being here in the States, there just isn't that much Hardcore to begin with (at least here in the South), but I don't see the resemblance to Bonkers 8 (I also wasn't partying in that era, so that may have something to do with it too).

Overall, the album is worth every penny. Great job to the people at HU for compiling and mixing this album!

Pro's:
3 CDs that offer a variety of sounds
All CDs are mixed
Great snapshot of today's sound
Features some GREAT original material

Cons:
Tempo...Are the days of 180+ bpm behind us?
Cheese...Where's the happier side gone?
Sound...Some tracks sound like polished 170 bpm version of Top 40 chart hits.
Vocals...Where is Lisa Abbott? Where did all the males come from?
Track production...When are we going to move away from that umph-CHUCK-ump-CHUCK beat?

The Cons are out of HU's control as the DJs can only compile from what they're given. This is still a great addition for any collector of the series/genre, and I hope more albums continue to be pressed in the future!
Vladel I just bit the bullet and bought the damned thing, i best be impressed.
latininxtc
quote:
I just bit the bullet and bought the damned thing, i best be impressed.

Or else you'll do absolutely nothing and continue to cry and whine on here. oh dear us we best watch out!
CDJay "Cheese...Where's the happier side gone?"

Please put on the section from Teenage Kiss through the Angel in the Sky rmx again

The parallel with Bonkers 8 is that it felt like UK Hardcore was finding a groove again; sounding current without completely betraying what it is (and arguably should be).

TBH I even think Vladel will be impressed, even if it isn't 100% down the party line. It's a hopeful snapshot of a scene that can once again be great *and* distinct. Which is, given the amount of support we get and continue to get, a minor miracle

You never know when the last "proper" UK hardcore comp will be; this could be it. Or it could be a new beginning. Either way, at least it's pretty darned good

CDJay
warped_candykid
quote:
"Cheese...Where's the happier side gone?"

Please put on the section from Teenage Kiss through the Angel in the Sky rmx again

To be honest, my top fav track was True by Ganar. The lyrics for 'Teenage Kiss' was too much for me :P But I did love Make It If We Try and Angel From The Sky! Fracus & Darwin's mix, to me, had the best overall selection, but Al Storm has Hasta Manana! Like I said, overall it's a great product!
Vladel
quote:
quote:
I just bit the bullet and bought the damned thing, i best be impressed.

Or else you'll do absolutely nothing and continue to cry and whine on here. oh dear us we best watch out!

You know you love it or you wouldn't comment
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
quote:
"Cheese...Where's the happier side gone?"

To be honest, my top fav track was True by Ganar. The lyrics for 'Teenage Kiss' was too much for me :P But I did love Make It If We Try and Angel From The Sky! Fracus & Darwin's mix, to me, had the best overall selection, but Al Storm has Hasta Manana! Like I said, overall it's a great product!

i agree with alot of what you said.

i started with the disc i thought would be my least favorite and moved to what i thought would be favorite.
so i started with chris fear & scott brown of course ;) . mixing across the board is solid so judging the tracks in the mixes and overall flow; this one was my least favorite. not a fan of any big room sounds at all; or even the powerstomp/ hardstyle stop & go sound is not to my liking. towards the end i also thought scotts gabber was really slow; not that i am a big gabber fan or anything. maybe i am listening to too much frenchcore though ;p

break these records is AMAZING though and prob my favorite track across all discs. high powered BLISS. F & D just kill it.

then went to al storm & shimamura. good mix :D. i think what freeform/ j core/ breaks is there mixes great into a great "compilation" mix ; and much better than the bigroom sounds thrown in the other mixes.
maybe some people actually like that and i am just really biased though. saying that; i still defo prefer purist mixes; especially when we have 3 or more discs to showcase.
i really like mr hoover; make it if we try; angel from the sky; hasta manana .

if i had any complaints it would be less MOB and more J core artists ; D... and better j core songs; i have multiple bangers from hommarju and noriken that blow those tracks away! maybe they not producing great stuff right now?

example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZDM9FKre5A
"finding you" off the magic chord cd was a banger too....

fracus & darwin mix would prob be my favorite. i think it is the mix that flows the best between some different styles; and for me has the most high power tracks. fkn love f & d.
dynamite;true;starface; futureshock remix. remix of lemonade raygun is sickkkk too; really love their freeform sound. ( the guy talking about being dead in the song is from the movie jacobs ladder i think; highly reccomended! )

but still ; could of been much better for me without bananas or that horrible titancube remix ;p
i really really dislike sounds that destroy my euphoria in the middle of a hardcore mix.... so i suppose i really do prefer purist mixes. then i know what i want is what i know i want ;)

overall; completely worth it and these mixes must be banged around at full volume until other people demand to know what the hell these sounds are!

warped_candykid ^^^

I was upset Bananas! was cut in the middle; I really love that track! I would rather have a mix going 180+ bpm so the whole song can be played rather than cutting parts out. But then again, I'm just happy for mixed CDs period!
CDJay Quick note; I away yesterday so post is going out a day late. Weekend orders UK should hit Thursday.

CDJsy
Triquatra RRRRRRRRRight!

CD1:
is bloody fantastic. I've not been a fan of UK hardcore for a long time, i've always found it very hit and miss; and with the *mass* amount of music that is out there it always tends to miss more than hit. This CD is the complete opposite to that rule.

Like the old bonkers I will happily pop this CD on and listen to it from start to finish. I won't harp on about production standard, because anybody who has listened to any of my tracks will know that it's not something that I dwell on - the MUSIC however is fantastic, interesting, intelligent pieces that don't sound as though they are cookie cutter clones of everything else out there. Theres about two pieces of music on it that I don't really click with and for a cd of 22 tracks that is mindblowing...mindblowing for ANY cd these days.

Only One Of Me (Hardcore Mix)
Alive (Daniel Seven Remix)
Heavyweight (Fracus & Darwin Remix)
Starface (Fracus & Darwin Remix)

yeah I'm just goijng to stop there, I would quite literally be posting practically the entire tracklist as stand out tracks.

CD2
unfair on these other CDs as i find it hard to get past CD1. CD2 strikes me as more of a fist-pumper. I think that's why I've not listened to it as much; when I listening to HU i'm usually naked, old and fat at the computer doing boring stuff like excell sheets. This CD feels like driving a fast car on the way to a rave, getting geared up to go...or even like you're in a rave. The kicks are harder, as is the music.
Easier for me to list the stand outs though which were
Stay Young
Kickin' Hard (Scott Brown Remix)
It's a great mix overall but those really stand out to me!

CD3
Definitely the most varied CD of the 3...ahhh Love You Everyday has just come on as I skip through it, Love it! Love the vibe from it. Very ravey (loud?) CD like CD2
Love nearly all the tracks on this one, but christ that "Suckin' On My Titties" one is irritating...that's nothing against riot and mob - there are some cracking tracks by them on the rest of the cd, but **** me samples like that sound chavvy and irritating. Just felt like it brought the whole tone of the album down a *few* pegs. I'm not going to go down the "PC" route, but I can't see tracks like that helping make hardcore more palatable for female...or mainstage audiences..

"suckin' on my titties like you wanted me"

Sample doesn't even make sense. You're either sucking on boobs for milk, or you've already made it....with a lady, so it's pretty obvious why you would be inhaling nipplage. So why is she surprised someone is attached to her nipples.

Sorry, not to get hung up on tits. The album is brilliant all over. If you haven't already bought it I highly recommend it.
latininxtc
quote:

Love nearly all the tracks on this one, but christ that "Suckin' On My Titties" one is irritating...that's nothing against riot and mob - there are some cracking tracks by them on the rest of the cd, but **** me samples like that sound chavvy and irritating. Just felt like it brought the whole tone of the album down a *few* pegs. I'm not going to go down the "PC" route, but I can't see tracks like that helping make hardcore more palatable for female...or mainstage audiences..

Sample doesn't even make sense. You're either sucking on boobs for milk, or you've already made it....with a lady, so it's pretty obvious why you would be inhaling nipplage. So why is she surprised someone is attached to her nipples.

I'm a bit surprised that's even on the album. It's a bit dated for such a project. But then again that shouldn't matter. Music Blocks made its way to HU6, and the track was at least 2 years old at the time that happened. I didn't have a problem with that, but a good number of people on here did.

But on to the Titties track. I actually like it, despite the chavy vocals/samples. Overall it's a well-produced track with a lovely bouncy beat, not unlike titties, but what do I know about that department lol. I can't see a track like this turning any woman away, especially when the even more wretched hideously awful track Clit Commander didn't do much to deter women away from hardcore. Not only were the samples on that track far worse, it was also a cheaply produced track and for me it completely ruined an otherwise brilliant mix.
Vladel Yea but clit commander is far less offensive if you have seen and appreciate the film it is sampled from, sucking on my titties has no real artistic origin so is just daft really.
alstorm
quote:
quote:

I'm a bit surprised that's even on the album. It's a bit dated for such a project. But then again that shouldn't matter. Music Blocks made its way to HU6, and the track was at least 2 years old at the time that happened. I didn't have a problem with that, but a good number of people on here did.

But on to the Titties track. I actually like it, despite the chavy vocals/samples. Overall it's a well-produced track with a lovely bouncy beat, not unlike titties, but what do I know about that department lol. I can't see a track like this turning any woman away, especially when the even more wretched hideously awful track Clit Commander didn't do much to deter women away from hardcore. Not only were the samples on that track far worse, it was also a cheaply produced track and for me it completely ruined an otherwise brilliant mix.

ha ha .. i love it .. i put it on because I've been playing it since it appeared in my dropbox, and wanted a solid representation of some tracks i have been playing consistently over the last year, along with some fresh stuff.. for me it helped to boost the energy towards the end of the CD, I'm not so sure people would be that bothered by the words, heard worse lyrics and in worse tracks, its the vibe/music that counts ;)
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by alstorm:
quote:
quote:

ha ha .. i love it .. i put it on because I've been playing it since it appeared in my dropbox, and wanted a solid representation of some tracks i have been playing consistently over the last year, along with some fresh stuff.. for me it helped to boost the energy towards the end of the CD, I'm not so sure people would be that bothered by the words, heard worse lyrics and in worse tracks, its the vibe/music that counts ;)

Scott Brown - Check the Penis or Crushed Testes come into mind? :)
The drunken scotsman
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just like to say your and shimamura's cd is amazing on this Al. Been listening on repeat since I got it -10/10. Best mix I've heard in a while.

alstorm
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Scott Brown - Check the Penis or Crushed Testes come into mind? :)

haha but .. the tracks themselves are still superb ;)

Triquatra Hehe.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway.

Sooooo, sneaky prying question alert! Are the days of Happy, Harder, Freeform, 3 cd layouts behind us now? Just wondering why the format has been dropped!
CDJay Now the HU series is the only "upfront" UK Hardcore compilation left, turning over entire discs to substyles that are either less than active (breaks) seperatist (freeform) doesn't seem the way to go. We're still planning HU Breaks 2, and I reckon the freeform scene is doing a decent job of putting out dedicated CDs.

If anything we're harking back to HU1-3, but with a broader representation of the scene from top to tail.

*Personally* I prefer having variety showcased in each mix, rather than segmenting it off. If people want a "purist" breaks or freeform release they're still catered for elsewhere

As for the reasoning behind going from 4 CDs to 3... it's largely down to international posting. We already lose money on posting outside the UK, but can manage it better as long as a parcel doesn't include more than 2 triple CDs (or a triple CD, a double CD and a single CD, etc) we can send it as a large letter rather than a parcel, which helps a lot. Quad CDs automatically knock us into parcel, which means we're paying ?9.40 as a starting rate and an additional ?2.40 per 250g increment. Large letter seems to actually reflect weight within these brackets, as well as having a slightly lower starting rate.

It also theoretically helps with per track earnings; if we could sell the same number of units as HU4/Presents 2010 they'd actually be pretty damned good under this model. This would, unfortunately, involve the UK scene being a bit more lively and every artist/camp represented on the project to shout about it. Which, as I'm sure most have noticed, isn't even kind of happening. Heh.

CDJay
Cyrax
quote:
seperatist (freeform)
CDJay

This makes me think of Stars Wars, it's like all the Freeform crew have been sent to Mustafa waiting there before a dark lord comes and murders them all
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrax:
quote:
seperatist (freeform)
CDJay

This makes me think of Stars Wars, it's like all the Freeform crew have been sent to Mustafa waiting there before a dark lord comes and murders them all

in all fairness, I am getting a bigger "get off my lawn" vibe from freeformists than I get from hardcore listeners lately
Cyrax
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrax:
quote:
seperatist (freeform)
CDJay

in all fairness, I am getting a bigger "get off my lawn" vibe from freeformists than I get from hardcore listeners lately

I don't know what that means :)

trippnface
quote:
Now the HU series is the only "upfront" UK Hardcore compilation left, turning over entire discs to substyles that are either less than active (breaks) seperatist (freeform) doesn't seem the way to go. We're still planning HU Breaks 2, and I reckon the freeform scene is doing a decent job of putting out dedicated CDs.

If anything we're harking back to HU1-3, but with a broader representation of the scene from top to tail.

*Personally* I prefer having variety showcased in each mix, rather than segmenting it off. If people want a "purist" breaks or freeform release they're still catered for elsewhere

As for the reasoning behind going from 4 CDs to 3... it's largely down to international posting. We already lose money on posting outside the UK, but can manage it better as long as a parcel doesn't include more than 2 triple CDs (or a triple CD, a double CD and a single CD, etc) we can send it as a large letter rather than a parcel, which helps a lot. Quad CDs automatically knock us into parcel, which means we're paying ?9.40 as a starting rate and an additional ?2.40 per 250g increment. Large letter seems to actually reflect weight within these brackets, as well as having a slightly lower starting rate.

It also theoretically helps with per track earnings; if we could sell the same number of units as HU4/Presents 2010 they'd actually be pretty damned good under this model. This would, unfortunately, involve the UK scene being a bit more lively and every artist/camp represented on the project to shout about it. Which, as I'm sure most have noticed, isn't even kind of happening. Heh.

CDJay

we are getting 1 less beautiful hardcore cd that elevates my spirit; because of posting economics!?
brb; becoming international politician
CDJay Probably be getting a lot less CDs; I'd focus on hardcore politics first.

I still actually can't believe not one top tier DJ featured on this album has mentioned it over the past few weeks. Unreal.

So, so, very incomprehensible.

CDJay
latininxtc
quote:
Probably be getting a lot less CDs; I'd focus on hardcore politics first.

I still actually can't believe not one top tier DJ featured on this album has mentioned it over the past few weeks. Unreal.

So, so, very incomprehensible.

CDJay

That's because they're complete douchebags who are only in it for themselves. Any mention of them trying to unite the scene is a load of shit.

Find it equally amusing the MC that will be on during Fracus and Darwin's set isn't bothering to promote the album at all, even if he isn't on there his good buddy MOB is.
Triquatra Wait, what?

they haven't been pimping HU7? Or blu the roof?

djDMS Klungefiddler managed to post about it earlier today.

The rest can suck my balls, and will be invited to at the next available opportunity
latininxtc
quote:
Wait, what?

they haven't been pimping HU7? Or blu the roof?

MC Enemy hasn't been pumping HU7. I know it's not a project he's involved in, but MOB has a few tracks on there and it doesn't take but a few seconds to promote an album on facebook. He could do it in support of MOB and in support of HU, at the very least as a good gesture for having been asked to be on a brilliant project like Blu The Roof.

Although I do remember Jon did playfully ask him if he could promote the project at one of his gigs (castle rave), and Enemy in his own words said he ain't doing it lol. And just a quick skim through his profile/pages, he's only made maybe 1 or 2 posts promoting Blu The Roof. So yea, lol
latininxtc
quote:
Klungefiddler managed to post about it earlier today.

The rest can suck my balls, and will be invited to at the next available opportunity

So has Unknown. Surprisingly, Joey Riot hasn't mentioned the album at all, and he has a few tracks on the album. Or perhaps he has and I missed a post about it.

Vladel Well got HU7 today and after ripping it to itunes and having a scan through, The Fracus & darwin disk sounds good, the Al storm and Shimamura disk sounds quite good and the scottbrown & Chris fear disk sounds like a big lump of donkey shit.
CDJay Hardcore Til I Die have posted about HU7 on Facebook, if people could go post feedback and comments it will encourage further discussion and awareness. The more engagement, the more people see it.

Go, go, go!

CDJay
Ikstra
quote:
Hardcore Til I Die have posted about HU7 on Facebook, if people could go post feedback and comments it will encourage further discussion and awareness. The more engagement, the more people see it.

Go, go, go!

CDJay

Link for the lazy: https://www.facebook.com/htid.official/photos/a.239965007219.135882.29210007219/10153639548442220/
Vladel Ok the fracus & Darwin disk

Positives:
-Blow out part 4 is a good strong opener that gives you the feeling you are listening to a HU album
-Futureshock is one of the best tunes i have heard all year and i'm glad i bought the obie album and got the full version.
-Air is one of the better uplifting songs on the album.
-The 1 is one of the stand out tracks and i can't wait to buy this one.
-Dynamite adds a bit of bang the disk needed.
-Starface remix is Fracus & darwin at their best, simple melodic uplifting brilliant!

Negatives:
-taking me back is on the unknown album and has to be one of the dullest/whiniest male vocal tracks i have heard
-Bananas, Every HU has to have some ridiculous joke song that shouldn't be inflicted on human ears and this is HU7's one.
-tip of your tongue, not quite sure what the point of that one is.
-Lemonade raygun. The remix from bonkers 5 is an absolute thumper and this remix couldn't be further from that classic. When the track gets past the speech and the old track goes mental, this one kind of trickles along and pretty much turns into nothing, one of the worst remixes i've ever heard.

The Scott brown & Chris fear disk:

Positives:
-Ok the bleep song is one of the best songs from last year and perhaps all time 100, a great way to start a disk
-the kickin hard remix was also good on happyhardcore underground, just release it already

Negatives:
-Stay young, yeah start with something incredible and follow up with TWRs version of Byker-Grove that's a contrast
-Break these records sounds like an old tape on fast forward play gone wrong
-D.T.S etc, good god this must have been a cheap one
-Nothing to fear, Who am i kidding? the whole disk is a car crash with only two half decent attempts

Al Storm & Shimamura:

The positives:
-Level up is another simple quirky track that i reckon could be a grower
-Shimamura remix of dream surprise, i wasn't really sure we needed another one of these (3 in the last 2 years i know of) but it's not bad for another one.
-Teenage kiss is the best track on the album by a mile!

The negatives:
-Love you everyday, god crikey where did these people put their talent?
-Mr Hoover is god awful
- Surrender gammer mix, we really didn't need another one of these.

Summary:

Disk 1 is awesome and Fracus & Darwin are making a cracking amount of great music at the moment to a point i'm looking forward to their next album. They've carried this compilation this time around to be honest and i would have loved to just have disk 1 unmixed instead but you can't have everything can you? There's not much negative on this one and i love it. GOOD Job F&D!!

Disk 2 is a cruel exercise in disappointment. It's like the old Uk game show Bullseye when the finalists would fail and Jim Bowen would say "lets see what you could have won." Its that way in having the the bleep song lead the mix and then its downhill from there apart from one respite in kickin hard. I'm disappointed with scott brown tbh and its a shame, in the past it was the freeform disks that used to let the albums down.

Disk 3 Has the honor of not being a patch on disk 1 but much better than disk 2, there's not much more to say really, the great points are watered down by some mediocre tracks and poor track length. Thankfully there's a good amount of teenage kiss at least.

People are right it's a good cross section of the scene including the shit that is floating around at the moment so much of it is down to taste. Much like Clubland Hardcore 8 and 9, if you like that sort of thing it's great, if you don't it can leave you feeling cold. It's better than 5, not as good as 6 or 4, kind of in the middle which isn't a bad place to be.
Cyrax
quote:

Disk 2 is a cruel exercise in disappointment.

lol

CDJay Remember when I said that we'd try to get the bulk of the HU stuff out in a very timely fashion following HU7?

It's begun; DJ Tools and 24/7 100 Volume 2 are both available to pre-order for end September release

The remainder will follow on "Diversions", DJ Tools 5 or EP5. All well before year end!

CDJay
Claxton Listened through about 4 times now. Don't have time for a full review but here's my two pence worth.

Fracus & Darwin mix is outstanding. The quality of music on there is utterly mouth watering. This is their best material yet and it's boosted by the presence of the remixes by Daniel Seven and Kurt.

I had heard most of the material on this disc already (being a super fan), but I hadn't heard 'Air' before. I've been obsessed with this track ever since. This track epitomises what I believe the mainstream hardcore sound should be like in 2015. It takes the production value of the top artists, with the current bassline sound etc and packs it full of energy. What a vocal! Jenna's voice just sounds so... right. It's clean and minimalist in terms of the riff, but it's still heart warming and emotive at the same time. That probably makes no sense.

Chris Fear & Scott Brown. Enjoyed this mix. Again, I had heard a lot of the material before, particularly the Scott Brown stuff. I would have been nice to have more new Scott Brown on there. I felt Chris Fear's music tried the hardest to emulate the current EDM sound. He experiments with different techniques and ways of making melodies etc and he can achieve some really clever moments. Were the tracks time-stretched rather than pitched on this disc? Some kicks can just be heard to go missing at times.

The final disc. Al Storm & Shimamura. WOW!! Love this! Lots of things I hadn't heard before and lashings of cheese. Just typically Al Storm. Love this one from beginning to end. The MOB remix is OUTSTANDING! I've never been his biggest fan, but he nailed this one. Brilliance. Bananaman's work is also very pleasing to the ear. He's a bloody talented song writer that fella.

I know there will be so much I'm failing to mention, but I'm writing this completely from the top of my head.

Overall, one of the best! A perfect demonstration of Hardcore Music at this current time.
lurker
quote:
if i had any complaints it would be less MOB and more J core artists ; D... and better j core songs; i have multiple bangers from hommarju and noriken that blow those tracks away! maybe they not producing great stuff right now?

Don't have the album yet but I figured I'd comment on this: a lot of great J-Core came out at a few conventions in Japan this past year. Precisely none of that ended up on this album except Teenage Kiss and Junkie Vinyl (and Come Back, oops. Cathedral is unreleased). I'm kinda surprised by that, but given how apparently J-Core artists think their music is completely and totally unrelated to any Western music (DJ Technorch gave a presentation saying as much, although he completely ignored UK Hardcore while giving it), maybe I shouldn't be.
_Jay_

I'm still listening to it daily, so it must be a good album.

The only criticism you could make about the album is the amount of already-known material on there (as people have already noted). It doesn't bother me, per se - but it does undoubtedly reduce - when instantly, emotionally reviewing a mix - that "oh fcuking hell that was amazing" feeling. The tracks that are released are all absolutely massive and would be the stand-out tracks on the album if they were previously unheard. Admittedly, expensive and difficult to implement that - but if you could nail that down for HU8, it would go a long way to really, truly feeling like Bonkers.

quote:
Remember when I said that we'd try to get the bulk of the HU stuff out in a very timely fashion following HU7?

It's begun; DJ Tools and 24/7 100 Volume 2 are both available to pre-order for end September release

The remainder will follow on "Diversions", DJ Tools 5 or EP5. All well before year end!

CDJay

Excellent work on getting these out.

EP. 5! Nice. :-) Shame about the Cheltenham event. I was definitely going to be there. :-(

Vladel
quote:
Remember when I said that we'd try to get the bulk of the HU stuff out in a very timely fashion following HU7?

CDJay

I see teenage kiss is on an album called fenix and I can't find a listing for that, is there anyway to get that track?

I ordered the other two (finally a dj tools I want) and of course m-project powerstomp? Please take my money
Mortis
quote:
Originally posted by lurker:
quote:

Don't have the album yet but I figured I'd comment on this: a lot of great J-Core came out at a few conventions in Japan this past year. Precisely none of that ended up on this album except Teenage Kiss and Junkie Vinyl (and Come Back, oops. Cathedral is unreleased). I'm kinda surprised by that, but given how apparently J-Core artists think their music is completely and totally unrelated to any Western music (DJ Technorch gave a presentation saying as much, although he completely ignored UK Hardcore while giving it), maybe I shouldn't be.

Blatant self promotion here: http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=76422
CDJay
quote:
quote:

CDJay

I see teenage kiss is on an album called fenix and I can't find a listing for that, is there anyway to get that track?

I ordered the other two (finally a dj tools I want) and of course m-project powerstomp? Please take my money

We're still trying to get stock of Fenis for the store; the language barrier is significant

We'll get there!

CDJay
Vladel Keep up the good work sir
trippnface
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lurker:
quote:

Blatant self promotion here: http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=76422

looks nice dude; will def check out :)
danielseven
quote:

https://soundcloud.com/djshimamura/sets/dj-shimamura-fenix-out-in-26
Vladel It costs like nearly ?30 after postage which is quite frankly mental
trippnface
quote:
It costs like nearly ?30 after postage which is quite frankly mental

welcome to the club now - gunna pump it up now
this is an emergency ! ( music is my galaxy)

had to ;p
Vladel anyone know when the scott brown remix of kickin hard is finally getting a full release?
CDJay Still not 100% on that, but it'll be out ASAP

CDJay
Elliott I'll second what others have said. Teenage Kiss is a ****ing slayer.

First track this year I've felt excited about.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
I'll second what others have said. Teenage Kiss is a ****ing slayer.

Its a bit too cheesy for my liking and I usually like a cheesy tune. I want to like it but I just cringe too much when it comes on.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
quote:

Its a bit too cheesy for my liking and I usually like a cheesy tune. I want to like it but I just cringe too much when it comes on.

Like a lot of hardcore tracks, it would've been even better without the vocal.

I wouldn't listen to this one in front of friends who weren't already into hardcore. ;)
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
quote:

Like a lot of hardcore tracks, it would've been even better without the vocal.

I wouldn't listen to this one in front of friends who weren't already into hardcore. ;)

Couldn't agree more, belter of a track but the vocals are a bit too much on the soppy side, sort of makes me feel far too old to be into this stuff which I don't like.
trippnface
quote:

seems like people either love it or are meh haha.
shimmy dropped it the other night and everyone loved it.
was an all ages party though with tons of kandi kids though so lol
not my favorite track but i'm not complaining . i already complain a bit; if i am bitching about TOO much cheese...well then slap me
djDMS Must admit I'm finding this rather tricky to rate. One more listen before I review it.
Vladel Cdjay, 30th of September is that shipping or arrival in the post?
latininxtc Well FINALLY picked this album up last week at HTID USA Weekender, along with most of the albums I purchased awhile back that Jon was holding for me, as well as some Amazon stuff that Jon has also been so generous in ordering for me since the sellers weren't shipping to the US. My ears will be quite busy for over a month now!

I've been blasting HU7 for the last couple of days now, especially the first CD, and the album is ****ing brilliant! But going to give my review for the 1st CD now:

I can't say this is my all-time favorite mix Fracus & Darwin have done for the HU series just yet, but it's easily one of the stronger mixes they've both done. You really have an eclectic variety of all the different styles of hardcore. All that's missing is some gabber in there! Lots of strong vocal tracks in there, which I love!

My current go-to track from the whole album is definitely Fracus & Darwin's remix of Heavyweight! They've once again done proper justice to another Redmoon and Meron Ryan track and given us a remix that is beyond brilliant!

Some other tracks that have really stood out for me in this mix are Takin' Me Back by Chris Unknown and people. Heard this on one of the HU podcasts awhile back and it's the sole reason I got the Chris Unknown album! LOVE the male vocals on here, they're totally different than the sadass Darren Styles and the wannabe-Styles male vocals I'm sick of hearing in so many tracks. I truly miss the Ant Johnson vocals in tracks and would love to hear him return, but whoever this guy is that did the vocals for Takin' Me Back hopefully gets used more because we need more male vocals that are actually good!

And yes I read Bananas got some hate on here, but again love this track. I thought it was an Al Storm produced track because it sounds very much like something he would make, but nope. I love the wacky dub/electro/minimal whatever the fuck people are calling it these days drop in the track, and it sounds better when not every single damn track in the mix is full of similar tracks. The drop didn't overshadow the rest of the proper hardcore part of the track which is a plus. Usually with tracks including these types of drops, the lead in and out of the drop sounds so cheaply made, but definitely not the case here.

Come And Find Me, The 1 and True are perfect examples of what I would call proper modern happy hardcore and hope to hear more stuff like this! True's vocals are just beyond amazing! I've never given Ganar much attention before, but this track has certainly made me interested in what he's done in the past and what he's currently working on.

Accelerate, cheeky edit from a producer I'm sick to death of hearing about. Darren Styles is truly a guilty pleasure of mine, because even though I find him so redundant and overrated in hardcore, I can't help but enjoy things like his Accelerate edit. Happy to hear it being included here.

As far as the more negatives of the mix goes, there aren't too many which is the case for me with the Fracus & Darwin CDs. One in particular for a track is In The Dark. Absolutely hate the long intro of the track, it just kind of stalls how perfectly fluid the mix is. Other than that, the rest of the track is great and a good way to lead up to Tip Of The Tongue.

The three freeform tracks I like (Tip Of The Tongue, Lemonade Raygun, and I guess Futureshock remix is freeform). I just didn't think their presence here was as strong as previous inclusions on HU mixes, like last year's Fracus & Darwin mix and CD4 of HU3. But I'm glad to see freeform was included in the album somewhere!

My biggest complaint of the album is Fierce of Fire for various reasons. The track itself sounds good, but I think the vocals sound like they're a bit higher in volume than they should be. Other than that it's a well produced track.

I'm not one to complain too much on length of tracks on mix CDs since I find these albums to be more of a way to showcase new material as well as highlight the abilities of the DJs, but Fierce Of Fire is just WAY too short on this album! It even sounded like it got cut off abruptly the first few times I listened to the mix. If it was time constraints, you had at least another minute to play around with since it's clocking the album at 78ish minutes. And if you needed even more than that for the track, cut away from Accelerate lol. Sure it's a popular track, but there wasn't anything particularly different in the 2nd half of that track.

And also I felt a bit sorry for the track being the one and only proper breaks track in the whole mix. At least there were 3 freeform tracks, this needed at least another 1 or 2 breaks track so Fierce Of Fire doesn't completely stick out like a sore thumb. I guess this is the main disadvantage of cutting back to 3 albums, there's just so many styles of hardcore to try and highlight compromises had to be made.

Other than those few issues, the rest of the album is great. I know I didn't mention all tracks but I still enjoyed them very much. Fracus and Darwin tracks are always brilliant, loved Skinny's track, like the Breathe In track although I much prefer the version that showed up on Hardcore Innovators CD3. Fracus and Darwin did an excellent job at highlighting various styles, as well as various producers in hardcore in just 78 minutes. Easily THE BEST mix in these 3 CDs.
danielseven
quote:

Yeah. Actually J-Core cds are known to be pretty expensive if ordered alone.

However, Hardcore Underground might import some of them on their shop.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
quote:

alot of japanese stuff are considered expensive :P
danielseven
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by danielseven:
quote:

alot of japanese stuff are considered expensive :P

3150 yen is actually the medium price of a retail album from a popular J-POP artist, like Namie Amuro.

It took 8.5 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page