Radio listeners 169+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore's missed potential.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Elipton Monstercat is releasing Hardcore, and it's proving very very popular. They're tapping into a colossal fan base that Hardcore labels have been missing for years. I've said many times that it's not about being the biggest in the genre, it's about introducing new people to the scene. A commercial label dabbling into all sorts of genres have managed to make a niche genre popular amongst hundreds of thousands whilst Hardcore's labels are still squabbling over a considerably smaller pie.

latininxtc
CDJay Tbf I did send Blow Out Pt 4 over to them earlier this year but never heard back. Even in a more open scene like d&b it's hard to get that first notice.

One of the reasons for doing the vinyl and blu ray is precisely to court wider industry. At least if we get a foot hold for a change it'll benefit the wider genre instead of our clique alone

CDJay
Quicksilver The sidechaining is too distracting, sounds too choppy when it drops, other than that it's a nice track.
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
The sidechaining is too distracting, sounds too choppy when it drops, other than that it's a nice track.

I agree. I feel like I could actually like the song, but that sidechaining is absolutely awfully annoying.
Samination On that note, who the effin ell is Stonebank and why does it sound like Styles or Gammer?

And what's Monstercat? I've only seen it being referenced once before (by you aswell?) a while ago for releasing another hardcore track.
silver
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
And what's Monstercat? I've only seen it being referenced once before (by you aswell?) a while ago for releasing another hardcore track.

Let me move that rock from top of you :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=monstercat

But in answer to the topic, essentially (speaking generally) EDM and techno music and not dirty words anymore. The US has fully embraced dance culture and it's generally fine to listen to whatever you like. The people that are stuck in a "I only like hardcore between 168 - 175 from these artists but only when they released it in 2006" kind of thinking are really limiting themselves :)

I have people that have no idea who the artist of the track is, or think every track is released from this website because it's "happy hardcore". They might also like house, rock and country... those types of "fans" number in the multiple hundreds of thousands worldwide.

DJ Ravine is a prime example, he plays all genres (uk hardcore included) and has 330,000 subscribes on youtube and 130,000 on facebook
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
But in answer to the topic, essentially (speaking generally) EDM and techno music and not dirty words anymore. The US has fully embraced dance culture and it's generally fine to listen to whatever you like. The people that are stuck in a "I only like hardcore between 168 - 175 from these artists but only when they released it in 2006" kind of thinking are really limiting themselves :)

While that may be true (and I'm glad if it is), my experience is that most people don't care about anything that isn't top 40 / rap / the same recycled "oldies."
djDMS
quote:
On that note, who the effin ell is Stonebank

Modulate
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
quote:

Modulate

I thought he left hardcore? So he left hardcore to make... hardcore?
Claxton Modulate mainly makes other genres but still puts together the odd hardcore track.

I believe that Gammer has repeatedly tried to get signed to Monstercat and has had no luck.

That could be something worth persevering with CDJAY?

At the moment, Darren Styles and Gammer are the ones who are being heard by nee audiences. EDF etc. It would be fantastic to have something different out there to represent the wider scene.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:

Modulate

I thought he left hardcore? So he left hardcore to make... hardcore?

What a fun turn of events then :P

silver, continuing on what advather said, most people in popular genre's seems to know alot more about their favorite tracks/artists than Hardcore listerners seem to do, if what you said is true
silver Nearly everyone on here is obviously into hardcore music, you all know the artists the labels and people.... but if you think more generally... there are people that just like "hardcore music", they dont know the artists (nor care too)... they don't post on here because they don't care too (or you all scare them away with your facts haha)...

What I trying to say is that there is a general public of people that like hardcore music yet know nothing about it... they listen to it in video games, online, youtube, they might follow a DJ or too but that is about it... counting these people there are many people listening to hardcore music.
Samination I guess that's one of the downside for being a DJ-oriented music style. people will only know the DJ, not the the actual producers of the track(s)
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:

I believe that Gammer has repeatedly tried to get signed to Monstercat and has had no luck.

lol that's funny.
Samination so there is a god? :P

I guess making "Monstercat" look like someone that is open for all genre's is a kick in olly's nads :P
trippnface
quote:
quote:

Modulate

wait; seriously? stupid.

track is ok though. if everyone loves it so much though they should love all they other much better hardcore tracks around. once you have that many followers; anything gets 100% publicity and basically there are enough people to shit a brick over it no matter what. people will like ANYTHING at that point. seriously think most people just like what is big or popular.
Gaz mace-E 1988
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
quote:

Modulate

wait; seriously? stupid.

track is ok though. if everyone loves it so much though they should love all they other much better hardcore tracks around. once you have that many followers; anything gets 100% publicity and basically there are enough people to shit a brick over it no matter what. people will like ANYTHING at that point. seriously think most people just like what is big or popular.

I competly agree with you there. For many years I've always thought that people who are really established and are a house hold name, tend to not work so hard at making a great track, there are exceptions of course but when there throwing out songs, knowing people will listen/buy there songs as they have a huge following. Rather like chart "fart" same continuous dribble and people will buy it. Where as an artist or dj or anyone for that matter, has to create something really good or special to get noticed, but they put there blood sweat and tears into a track simply for the love of the music, and therefore why I find most decent tracks these days are by new people you've never heard of.
Claxton
quote:
quote:

lol that's funny.

You can be a real prick sometimes. It's not really funny is it? I think it would be good for the music if we got more stuff on labels like that. Certainly won't do much harm.
Vladel
quote:

Probably because they are monstercat not copycat
jordesuvi
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
most people just like what is big or popular.

I have no choice but to whole-heartedly agree, it still amazes me how much trend affects someone's music taste.
latininxtc
quote:
quote:
quote:

lol that's funny.

You can be a real prick sometimes. It's not really funny is it?

I guess I can understand your confusion seeing as how I had my 'lol' followed up by "that's funny." I'm sure more people were confused about my feelings about that post...

But to clarify yes it is funny (to me at least) that he is trying to release tracks on a label that gives little to no attention to its minuscule hardcore side of releases. Going through the Beatport store, I could only find about 3 hardcore tracks that are up for sale among the over 600 tracks I skimmed through. One of them was even mislabeled as hard dance, which is what the site usually labels hardstyle. Perhaps I skimmed through it too fast and missed a couple, but even then it's clear they focus the majority of their efforts on releasing all other genres such as electro house and dubstep.

I do think it's odd that the label didn't bother releasing his remix of Hero by Pegboard Nerds considering how well-produced it is, and the label allowed for other remixes of that track to be released on their label. Maybe perhaps they think Gammer is too big of an artist for a label like Monstercat, who seems to focus more on giving opportunities to virtually unknowns in the industry? But yes for remixes of Monstercat tracks, I think they should consider releasing Gammer's stuff. Although if this is original hardcore work that he's trying to push out, he has his own label that he helped launch with others as a platform for that.

Gaz mace-E 1988 Well presumably gammer is still producing more than just hardcore, as wasn't he producing hard dance under his real name matt lee? I heard that Andy whitby had signed him, so I imagine he has far more to rely on and like you said has his own labels anyway.
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz mace-E 1988:
Well presumably gammer is still producing more than just hardcore, as wasn't he producing hard dance under his real name matt lee? I heard that Andy whitby had signed him, so I imagine he has far more to rely on and like you said has his own labels anyway.

Is that you in your avatar pic, or someone else?
djDMS
quote:

Steady on Stevo...
Gaz mace-E 1988 Yes indeed. My uncle glen leigh is a photographer and we did a few portraits. Why do you ask?
latininxtc
quote:
quote:

Steady on Stevo...

lol shush you!

quote:

Yes indeed. My uncle glen leigh is a photographer and we did a few portraits. Why do you ask?

I was caught off guard on how professionally done the pic was and thought maybe it was a bigname hard dance DJ I didn't recognize. Usually the avatars of personal pics I see on here aren't that professional looking.
Gaz mace-E 1988
quote:
quote:
quote:

Steady on Stevo...

lol shush you!

quote:

Yes indeed. My uncle glen leigh is a photographer and we did a few portraits. Why do you ask?

I was caught off guard on how professionally done the pic was and thought maybe it was a bigname hard dance DJ I didn't recognize. Usually the avatars of personal pics I see on here aren't that professional looking.

That's quite a compliment thankyou! I'm on Facebook with the same picture (my normal name being Gary macey)I was working on an album a while back called Under The Influence, but sadly other responsibilitys took over and I had to abandon the project. Tho there are other photoshoots on my Facebook when we were experimenting with album cover ideas, which I can always share if need be. Thankyou tho its not every day you get told such a thing! Rather made my day haha
quote:
quote:
quote:

lol that's funny.

You can be a real prick sometimes. It's not really funny is it? I think it would be good for the music if we got more stuff on labels like that. Certainly won't do much harm.

he would have more chance of being signed to virgin
DjZelous Hopefully Gammer or someone will release on monstercat soon
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
quote:
quote:
quote:

lol that's funny.

As a pilot
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
quote:
quote:
quote:

lol that's funny.

As a pilot

next drumsound & bassline smith and trace and status
Elipton
quote:
so there is a god? :P

I guess making "Monstercat" look like someone that is open for all genre's is a kick in olly's nads :P

a) I'm aware that monstercat release multiple genres. I listen to their material virtually daily.

b) It supports what I've been saying for about a year.

It took 1.73 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page