Radio listeners 190+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Best site to buy Hardcore?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Decky_G Hey peeps new to the site and I've been getting back into my Hardcore.

What's the best site to buy full length tracks these days?

CDJay Www.hardcoreunderground.co.uk for cds. There's a sale starting on Weds, so your timing is impeccable.

For Digi releases, beatport, trackitdown, wherever you want really.

CDJay
Decky_G Cheers buddy and I've just got paid so win win :)
Samination http://j-core.biz/ if you want to get japanese hardcore/makina
Guest only places that will sell the wav for the DJ to fix for mixing

uk hardcore http://www.junodownload.com/uk-hardcore/this-week/releases/
hardcore https://www.hardtunes.com/hardcore

don`t want no mp3`s, they sound like pure shit for a rack mount EQ, or any new mixer that adds crappy color to the audio

if you got the wav`s you can end up with something like

https://soundcloud.com/for-all-those/cakes

put a few EQ` s and compressors on a mp3`s it will sound like 32kbit encode
DJ SMALOUM
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:

For Digi releases, beatport, trackitdown, wherever you want really.

CDJay

most popular but not better than BANDCAMP. in BANDCAMP this is the artists who choose the prices for sell their tracks.i found very interesting releases from LE DOS ON,TRIPLESTAR etc... and if i got good memory even AL STORM is on this site and i found "my guiding light (raver baby mix)" for less expansive than in trackitdown
Guest not many shops actually sell wav`s, beat port etc just transcode the mp3 to a wav and sell it for more money

like peasents, you only need 15 terrabyte drives to have 30,000 50mb wav`s to serve, thats like ?640 in drives, in any old rubbish NAS box. have your wesite on a remote hoster with a xeon processor, and storage in your shops bassment
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
not many shops actually sell wav`s, beat port etc just transcode the mp3 to a wav and sell it for more money

like peasents, you only need 15 terrabyte drives to have 30,000 50mb wav`s to serve, thats like ?640 in drives, in any old rubbish NAS box. have your wesite on a remote hoster with a xeon processor, and storage in your shops bassment

Any proof that beatport transcodes from mp3 to wave? Not that I use beatport because their prices are way past what TID or juno takes (for swedes)
Sc@r Best bet is look these stalls for a variety of labels and artists :

beatport
juno download
harddancemp3.com (mega cheap!!!!!)
itunes and amazon also sell hardcore mp3s

good luck and have fun!
CDJay Store sale is live.

Go wild

CDJay
djDMS Some of those sale prices are ridiculous!

Buy buy buy
Impulse_Response
quote:
not many shops actually sell wav`s, beat port etc just transcode the mp3 to a wav and sell it for more money

Beatport definitely sells real wavs, assuming that the artists provide real wavs and not transcodes (and transcodes are far too common in hardcore). Still, as Samination said, TID has better prices. I also use TID whenever possible because out of the big three (Beatport, TID, Juno) it provides the highest quality artwork.

Above all, it's frustrating that these sites charge extra for wavs. This is pro audio, so lossless should be the standard, not a "specialty," though I would argue the same for all music. I'd like to see them take the Bandcamp approach and charge a single price for the music, and then let you choose the format you want.

Captain Triceps Maybe they are charging standard price for .wavs and they just charge less for MP3s?
CDJay I'm genuinely bemused by it; it can't have that much of an effect on bandwidth costs and almost every device has the storage available to have a .wav file unless they are exclusuively downloading on a restricted mobile contract.

The real story is... why the hell are we sticking to 16/44.1khz in a supposedly unshackled digital age where STREAMING 4k video with DD+ is imminent?

I guess the real irony is I am pushing CDs at a point where half decent CDJ setups take 24/48khz which is DAT essentially. Irony tapes itself up.

CDJay
Impulse_Response
quote:
I'm genuinely bemused by it; it can't have that much of an effect on bandwidth costs and almost every device has the storage available to have a .wav file unless they are exclusuively downloading on a restricted mobile contract.

I would guess it's because most people are used to mp3, so when they want to charge extra for higher quality most people don't give it a second thought and it's easy money for the store.

quote:
The real story is... why the hell are we sticking to 16/44.1khz in a supposedly unshackled digital age where STREAMING 4k video with DD+ is imminent?

Good point. Music must be the one area in which many people not only have no regard for quality, but they actively demand lower quality. For example, "128 kbps mp3 is good enough, don't give me any more than that, and if you want higher then you are fooling yourself."

I recognize that 16/44.1 (with the limitations on implementation) is so close to the limits of human hearing that most people would probably never know the difference. Even so, why not upgrade to, say, 24/96? At that point you surpass human hearing in both frequency response and dynamic range, and you know for sure that the format is not interfering with what you hear, though this assumes that the mastering is good enough to warrant using high res. It may seem excessive to some, but those who are afraid of big numbers can always truncate and convert down to whatever they want.

Short version: I would be very excited if HU or others were to fully embrace high res audio. Also I'm not trying to coach you; this is my long-winded way of agreeing with you.

quote:
I guess the real irony is I am pushing CDs at a point where half decent CDJ setups take 24/48khz which is DAT essentially. Irony tapes itself up.

Even with the prospect of high res, I fully embrace CDs for the physical aspect. You could try to satisfy that with other means such as files on a USB, but then you are setting yourself up for data loss by faulty electronics, static discharge or computer error corrupting your files, dropping it and something snaps on the inside etc. CD is just a more robust format. I think it would be really cool if you keep offering CDs, but include a set of high res files that you can download right after purchase, kind of like ordering a CD on Bandcamp or Amazon's AutoRip but with high res instead of mp3.

If you really wanted to, you could also offer high res Blu Ray audio discs, though as far as I know those cost more to make.
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:

Any proof that beatport transcodes from mp3 to wave? Not that I use beatport because their prices are way past what TID or juno takes (for swedes)

they admitted it like aload of other sites, when wav`s first started to appear on label own websites, hardtunes was the first of the first shops to sell wav`s

flac is better, you have have all metatags and label cover art etc, but most encoder`s ar`nt full lossless, you need dbpoweramp
Samination
quote:
I'm genuinely bemused by it; it can't have that much of an effect on bandwidth costs and almost every device has the storage available to have a .wav file unless they are exclusuively downloading on a restricted mobile contract.

CDJay

I guess as long as we dont try to do 96kHz... you friggin audip(h)iles :P
Decky_G Was on HU site and seen a good few cds to catch up on. TWR rec seem to be dominant on the digital front. Fair shout?
Vladel Twr with their one release a month?
djDMS Not exactly prolific but they are bringing some decent stuff out.

Don't forget Evolution records too, Scott Brown is back with a bang!
d2kx
quote:

CDJay

Because they make absolutely no sense for a listener (different story for producers). I thought this was common knowledge by now:

https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
Twr with their one release a month?

It was a release every three weeks and they are moving to a new release every two weeks schedule again now.
Decky_G I made that statement based on trackitdown's top 100. TWR have quite a few in the top 10. Maybe I was stupid to assume that.

Yes Dms how could I forget about Evolution records. Always on my mind by him was the last ever vinyl I bought.

Now to start downloading. Thanks for all your assistance folks :)
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by d2kx:
Because they make absolutely no sense for a listener (different story for producers). I thought this was common knowledge by now:

I too am one to throw around this xiph link. While I believe it in theory, I have observed that even a clean conversion down to 44.1 impacts the high frequencies in the audible range. People would probably argue that it is too small or occurs at frequencies that are too high for people to hear, but I don't care. The simple truth is that the format measurably impacts the sound at 44.1, and in my mind this is unacceptable. There is no reason to cater to the lowest common denominator, and I am perfectly happy to accept slightly larger files to ensure that the format does not affect the sound. As I said in an earlier post, audio is probably the one field where people would argue that "good enough" is good enough.

I'm also curious if, one day, science will discover a phenomenon that causes the significant high-frequency energy produced by, say, a violin to impact the way we perceive sound. Right now though this sort is generally labeled pseudo-science.

I might add an image later for proof of my 44.1 claim if I feel like it.
djDMS All that is totally irrelevant if you don't have the right equipment to listen to the music
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by d2kx:
quote:

CDJay

Fairly confident to say it is assumed to be common knowledge when so many blu-rays are 24/96 or 24/48 lossless. I realise space is far less of an issue, there, but you have to kinda wonder why.

I haven't listened to enough high res audio attentively, or blind tested, but I'm fairly confident the 24/96 of Diversions sounds both identifiably and notably better than the 16/44.1 on my (admittedly high end) system. It's also what the album was mastered at (and, I get the impression, almost all professionally mastered tracks/albums are currently mastered at).

I should have some time over December to deep dive a bit, as I find it quite interesting, but it's a very strong angle to take claiming that 16/44.1 is actually *better* then 24/48. It's contrary to pretty much all my experience and indeed almost anything else I've ever read.

CDJay

Cyrax Definitely not the best but i'm posting here anyway :

http://projectbadass.bandcamp.com/music
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
All that is totally irrelevant if you don't have the right equipment to listen to the music

True, but you might as well give the option for those who want to believe and/or have the equipment, since there's nothing to lose other than a bit of hard drive space.

EDIT: I guess it's also worth adding that the acoustics of the listening environment and the quality of speakers are worth obsessing about way more than that little bit of distortion produced by gear.
DJ SMALOUM
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrax:
Definitely not the best but i'm posting here anyway :

http://projectbadass.bandcamp.com/music

( you gave me a good idea m8 )

definitely not the bests but i'm posting here:

http://www.junodownload.com/artists/DJ+Smaloum/releases
https://ecstacy-t.bandcamp.com/
Laser I enjoy Amazon Digital but be warned it's not gonna have EVERYTHING however it's got quite a good selection :)
Vladel I think Juno is about the best site at the moment where beatport is the worst. Trawling through 10-20 slow boring techno tracks to get to one hardcore track is just soul destroying.
djDMS Every month or so I look at all the usual sites and make a list, then buy as much of it as possible from Amazon and the rest/exclusives from wherever.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
I think Juno is about the best site at the moment where beatport is the worst. Trawling through 10-20 slow boring techno tracks to get to one hardcore track is just soul destroying.

Yea, juno is better since they list the BPM on the listing pages instead of the just the release page
Thumpa New album out at bit.ly/FreeformFamily, 36 exclusive unmixed tracks from Sharkey, Alek Szahala, A.B, jD-KiD, Douglas, Arkitech and many more!

Labels worth looking out for are HU, TWR, Stamina, Evolution...I'm not really into much else if I'm honest.

It took 1.77 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page