Radio listeners 151+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore Heaven CD series reboot (HU!)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
arpz

Brand New TV-Advertised Compilation CD Announced
Mixed by Fracus & Darwin / DJ MOB
We can exclusively reveal that in the coming few months, we will be overseeing the release of the first TV advertised Hardcore compilation album of the year in the form of a long overdue reboot of the Hardcore Heaven album series.

Dual Ownership: A Fresh New Format For 2016
You can see from the initial artwork that the series has been completely redesigned, and this overhaul goes far beyond just the sleeve design. So what's new?

Well this is the first project we'll have released which will grant you dual physical / digital ownership of the tracks on the album when you buy it exclusively through our store. So what does that mean in the real World?

This is a LIMITED EDITION CD, limited to just 1000 copies. When you buy the CD from our store (and ONLY from our store) you will also then be granted FULL digital rights to ALL the full length versions of the tracks included on the mixes too which will be sent to you using an encrypted download link.

You will also be sent digital copies of the mixes themselves. This will happen on the day of release (or day of purchase if bought after release) so it means that if you're overseas, you'll have same day access to both the DJ mixes AND all the individual tracks long before your CD actually turns up in the post.

The album will NOT be available in a digital only format, and when it is released via iTunes and other digital vendors (later), the full length tracks will have been edited down to radio mixes, and not the full length versions. The ONLY way to get the full length versions is to buy the CD from our store.

Most Importantly, The Music
We've already licensed and generated a lot of high quality music for this album, and it goes without saying that it will only include the very best of best in fresh modern Hardcore music. All the things you might have heard on our podcasts and wondered 'when will that be out?' yeah... it'll all be on here. This album is about raising the bar in terms of it's content, it's style, it's delivery to YOU the customer, and how it showcases our music to the wider World.

Expect a wide reaching, professional, cool looking TV and online ad campaign to back it.

-----

This is rather good isn't it?
Captain Triceps Interesting. I like the sound of it. Looking forward to more Hardcore Heaven album confusion but that's a separate issue.
I'll be keeping them peeled for this one.
arpz What do you mean by the confusion? The fact that there's loads with the same name?
Mickey Init I didn't see a mention of the new HU website in the newsletter - more so, no mention of HU store album artwork
Mickey Init Oh and, yes, the album will be purchased!
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Init:
I didn't see a mention of the new HU website in the newsletter - more so, no mention of HU store album artwork

Heavily implied in the HH album format, no?

Back-end is done; we'll have this ready and super-duper-fresh!

CDJay
Mickey Init
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
Heavily implied in the HH album format, no?

Back-end is done; we'll have this ready and super-duper-fresh!

CDJay

I really hope so The artwork for Le Gra Go Deo makes me feel nauseous when it comes up on the iPod

I'm definitely looking forward to the HH album and I'm annoyed I can't make the HU event - bummer!

Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
What do you mean by the confusion? The fact that there's loads with the same name?

Yes. Hardly an Earth shattering inconvenience, but still.
wong HH nowt to do with slammin vinyl anymore then?
Elipton It's good you're bringing it back - this post leaves us to a lot of interpretation.

The artist in me finds it a shame you've resorted to such a bland take on the artwork - doing away with the more creative appeal the old albums used to have. They were cringeworthy, but the earlier albums had a unique cartoon style which had some influence on the 3rd and 4th entries. I'm saddened a creative angle wasn't taken to make this album unique from the HU albums in more than name only..

I'm also concerned about having a "wide reaching, professional, cool looking TV and online ad campaign" to promote a limited-run CD album. This is the first album popping up on TV in about 4 or 5 years, and it's hard to gauge how it'll do. I imagine the aim is to not have any left over, but you run the risk of grossly under producing them if the demand is greater than expected.

As I say, that's just interpretation which is all we can do at this stage. I'm enthusiastic about a revival of one of my favourite series nonetheless.
CDJay It might be the first TV advertised comp in a while, but we did run a TV ad for "Diversions" through Dec last year

The physical release will feel premium, beyond anything else we've done to date IMO. Won't say more than that, mind

CDJay
trippnface

this is ****ing epic.
actually get my heart pumpin <3!

..whiners!
Elipton
quote:
It might be the first TV advertised comp in a while, but we did run a TV ad for "Diversions" through Dec last year

The physical release will feel premium, beyond anything else we've done to date IMO. Won't say more than that, mind

CDJay

That sounds promising, I've always appreciated unique CD presentation - so much so my dissertation was based on it. Good luck!
Impulse_Response I really enjoyed the HH series (at least some of the mixes). When I saw this, I felt a certain pressure developing in the lower half of my body. Looking forward to it.
djDMS Tracklist is, and always has been the only thing I look at when deciding whether to buy an album or not.

I've never been influenced by names, fads or hype.

I want to look at and think 'Wow, I must have that'
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:

Entity I write this as an old, crotchety and ILL misanthrope who can see the ripe age of 40 on the horizon, and without bias.

This is absolutely fantastic news. HU actually cares about the music and all those within it - your guarantee of quality and variety. Good shout on MOB too - solid choice.

I am so sodding tired of artist/label showcases. The money's just not there these days - bring it back to how it used to be, regardless if you like HU or not. Represent and support.

warped_candykid
latininxtc
quote:
Tracklist is, and always has been the only thing I look at when deciding whether to buy an album or not.

I'm sure the Fracus & Darwin tracklist will not disappoint! The tracklist for Mob's mix should be interesting to see. As a DJ he's not bad, but his tracklists on some of his mixes can be hit or miss.
Audio Warfare All sounds awesome. Glad someone is keeping the compilations going, love getting new mixed albums but there isnt that many around now!
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
Tracklist is, and always has been the only thing I look at when deciding whether to buy an album or not.

I'm sure the Fracus & Darwin tracklist will not disappoint! The tracklist for Mob's mix should be interesting to see. As a DJ he's not bad, but his tracklists on some of his mixes can be hit or miss.

defo agree with that MOB bit. Hopefully F & D slap the real hardcore into him
djDMS I'm sure they know what they're doing.
latininxtc
quote:
I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Well they have their moments when I question their decisions. Like when they thought it was a brilliant idea to give Klubfiller a mix all to himself.

But I rate Mob as a better DJ than that ginger so I'm not too worried.
warped_candykid I just hope there is some cheese on there, and some kickdrum-led tracks! F&D have had this...clean-cut sound going on for too long now. I wish they would go back to the style of their earlier productions.
Ken Masters Delighted to see the HH series back & confident that its in good hands.

Seriously inspired by the new concept too! I may have to follow suit.
skarr Is that really the artwork? That's proper shit.
skarr On par with the artwork for the 4th fracus n darwin album, was it by the same person?
CDJay ... yes.

Clearly a matter of personal taste; I reckon the art for this and Diversions look great. :/

CDJay
trippnface lolz; i never consider art that much honestly ( unless it's j core. always absolutely blissful boner)

usually super pleased to even get a hardcore cd that sounds like hardcore these days :D !
as long as i can smash that bitch into a player and feel proud of those tunes.
label a genre wrong though... oooooo ; that really pisses me off. ( COUGH GAMMER)
skarr It's just looks cheap and simple and like it's been knocked up by an amateur in his bedroom.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by skarr:
It's just looks cheap and simple and like it's been knocked up by an amateur in his bedroom.

You've just described my mrs!
trippnface
quote:
It's just looks cheap and simple and like it's been knocked up by an amateur in his bedroom.

back to sexy females?
CDJay
quote:

My sarcastic side says "in keeping with genre"

I say.... Really? Diversions art on vinyl looks great. HH album is is intended for something classy and the vibrating cityscape works for ad and art. You can hate it, that's opinion, but please afford suitable corrective suggestion. Alternatives can triumph.

CDJay

CDJay Also loving the sentiment that it's all for not due to art style. I long for the day that is my concern and it makes my life easier. I am distracted by scene politics and licensing concerns. I wish art was the thing that caused me sleepless nights. Go for it, in my absence.

CDJay
arpz I like diversions art but I'm less sold on this.. it's alright but it's just a bit clean I suppose. I guess 'classy' is probably the right word but I don't really know where classy links to hardcore, even if I am a double suave bastard in the raves.

I suppose it breaks away from the cliche of cartoons/fit birds/angels but I can't tell if that's a good thing or not. Was there a conscious decision to do so in order to potentially find new listeners?

Basically though, I'm excited about it, I'll definitely buy it, it's not exactly a deal breaker
djDMS Very welcome change as far as I'm concerned.
Why shouldn't Hardcore be more professional in appearance?
Skidzorz As much as I love me some cartoony, cheesy, UFO and visor wearing 90's aesthetic, if this is an attempt to get HC taken seriously again then they've definitely hit the mark for what they were going for.

I personally am not the biggest fan of it per se, but it seems like they've been following this ethos that (albeit in different ways) that Gammer and Style have been as well lately, which is get hardcore out there to as many people as possible, and to get it taken seriously as a legimate genre of music, and maybe art, again. The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, coupled with the nasty connotations people have of the words happy hardcore, and it's going to. Take a concentrated effort to get to not just go ugh and turn their ears off the second their hear anything related to "hardcore".

I don't like it but if this is what it takes, **** it. Some of those mode laden covers (HU2 I'm looking at you ;)) are the ugliest, amateurish, garish pieces of shit I e ever seen but music on it is top class, so if that's the case here **** it.

You want new music with old school cheesy covers? Go to Kniteforce. Want some other cheese but this time with lazors (anime girls and mechs added in at your pleasure)? Check out Japan. Not everything needs to be angels and whistles and love.

Now if that MOB cd doesn't deliver I take back everything I just said and I co- sign burning HU to the ground
Impulse_Response
quote:
Originally posted by Skidzorz:
As much as I love me some cartoony, cheesy, UFO and visor wearing 90's aesthetic, if this is an attempt to get HC taken seriously again then they've definitely hit the mark for what they were going for.

I personally am not the biggest fan of it per se, but it seems like they've been following this ethos that (albeit in different ways) that Gammer and Style have been as well lately, which is get hardcore out there to as many people as possible, and to get it taken seriously as a legimate genre of music, and maybe art, again. The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, coupled with the nasty connotations people have of the words happy hardcore, and it's going to. Take a concentrated effort to get to not just go ugh and turn their ears off the second their hear anything related to "hardcore".

I don't like it but if this is what it takes, **** it. Some of those mode laden covers (HU2 I'm looking at you ;)) are the ugliest, amateurish, garish pieces of shit I e ever seen but music on it is top class, so if that's the case here **** it.

You want new music with old school cheesy covers? Go to Kniteforce. Want some other cheese but this time with lazors (anime girls and mechs added in at your pleasure)? Check out Japan. Not everything needs to be angels and whistles and love.

Now if that MOB cd doesn't deliver I take back everything I just said and I co- sign burning HU to the ground

For me, taking it seriously is what takes the fun out of it. I'll take all the anime girls, mechs, and silliness I can get, as long as the quality of the music is good.

I also quite like the cover art for this new HH album.
arpz Hang on, I don't see anyone else saying we should burn HU to the ground so you're not co-signing, you're leading :)

Elipton I work with art every day in my profession, and before that I was producing and studying music-related artwork all the time.

The new HH artwork is a solid compilation album artwork - there's no doubt about that. I quite like it, and I think it'll look good on the cover. But it's generic, it lacks any kind of creativity or link with the music, and I think they're pretty necessary aspects. It's falling in with a lot of logo-based trends that Cream, HH itself and MOS have set - but that's likely the problem.

This is the creative industry, and as content publishers, you have a fantastic chance to tap into people's imagination and make music more than it's bitrate. You can make it multi-sensory and fun. Bonkers did exactly that. It's most forgettable addition was the final AATW one. As I've said, this isn't bad from an art perspective, but it's easily forgotten. You put this cover next to the HU albums, the GTYM album, the powerstomp album etc etc, and it blends right in. You put it on a shelf with other compilations in HMV and it'll blend right in. If you took the numbers off of the HU albums, I'd never know which one's which - which sucks because some of those are my favourite compilations in my collection.

In summary, yourself and the artist need to understand that it's a great opportunity to be creative and make something iconic and memorable. Album imagery is more powerful than most give credit for, because we can all remember classic hardcore albums for how it looked, not for how it sounded.

I'm sure we all recognize these guys, but most of us won't even have any of the albums

trippnface
quote:
As much as I love me some cartoony, cheesy, UFO and visor wearing 90's aesthetic, if this is an attempt to get HC taken seriously again then they've definitely hit the mark for what they were going for.

but gammer and styles ****ing suck right now.

I think that is the most important point.

They got shittier; to please a dumber crowd.

Hardly an accomplishment.

* if gammer and styles are " progressing hardcore" I would rather see it completely die. Utter ****ing trash they are on about. Playing trap mainstream edc to abunch of rolled out college kids is about as least hardcore as it gets.

"The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, "

wrong. Music like that is what keeps the twats away.
warped_candykid I would definitely love to have all the cartoony, bright, colorful, CD covers since the music (use to be) cartoony, bright, and colorful. It's not fun when it's all serious, and that's the problem with 90% of material coming out now.

CDJay We're very in touch with roots of genre, and are massive fans of identify and differentiation. In fact one of the next projects we're intending on doing is HHU 2.

That said, there are definite market realities, and encroaching walls, in play here.

Either the genre catches a second wind, which *should* have been the EDM Stateside boom we were handily cut out of, and I figure is the reason it won't happen, or it's history. Literally, classics nights and enthusiasts doing the odd track here and there.

It's crunch time.

Bleating on about artwork, moaning about perception or synth sets and kick drums is fine but this really is now or never territory.

We've thrown everything at this, and have held back all our biggest tracks for it. Each of those tracks would 100% make more money if we internalised and did DJ Tools 6. We'll have to share the wealth with external licensees in and out of genre and we're doing it specifically because it's the right thing to do for the wider industry. Yet again, we will do the most work for the least reward.

Try to understand, and really thoroughly ruminate on this, what will happen if we fail. For a start... we're off. We'll wrap up 10 years of banging our heads against the wall trying to help variety, freeform, breaks, up and coming producers, the wider genre, and leave y'all with what's left. Step back and think *really* hard about what that is, and likely will be.

Whilst those specific things may not figure prominently on this project, the relative lack of reciprocation from those camps has been a massive bugbear for us for a long time.

There is no doubt at all we can take our key artists, and industry models, and move over to D&B for a far easier life and notable rewards. Key promotion players in industry *always* ask why we haven't.

The answer is that I think we've spent 10 years playing a chess game, and the pieces *are* there for things to get better. The partisan insular nature of the scene, and listeners within it, are an increasingly large factor in why that might not play out as it could. You can't expect things to get better if you gleefully cut the sprout off everything that pokes out of the dirt.

CDJay
warped_candykid Personally, I'm excited for this project (refers my Roger in drag post), and I can't wait to hear samples. I was just stating I miss the old-style covers. :P I would take Darwin & Fracus over Styles any day. The HU crew at least packs a punch ; I've never been disappointed with a project you guys were behind. :)
CDJay Dude, definitely in no way aimed at you. It's difficult for us; the people who f***Ed it still command "legend" status with all the perks associated, and we're not new. It's a dangerous limbo last time faced in 2010 (we would have 100% gone without that award, our position would have been untenable). Even now the major events post about line ups and people who do nothing, have done nothing in years,will get shouted over us.

We can't fix this without backup; our core audience is justifiably cynical about the wider scene.

You came though for us 6 years ago, and we survived. There's more at stake now; I would say the entire genre. We literally can't do it without y'all. Eyes on the prize!

CDJay
trippnface
quote:
We're very in touch with roots of genre, and are massive fans of identify and differentiation. In fact one of the next projects we're intending on doing is HHU 2.

That said, there are definite market realities, and encroaching walls, in play here.

Either the genre catches a second wind, which *should* have been the EDM Stateside boom we were handily cut out of, and I figure is the reason it won't happen, or it's history. Literally, classics nights and enthusiasts doing the odd track here and there.

It's crunch time.

Bleating on about artwork, moaning about perception or synth sets and kick drums is fine but this really is now or never territory.

We've thrown everything at this, and have held back all our biggest tracks for it. Each of those tracks would 100% make more money if we internalised and did DJ Tools 6. We'll have to share the wealth with external licensees in and out of genre and we're doing it specifically because it's the right thing to do for the wider industry. Yet again, we will do the most work for the least reward.

Try to understand, and really thoroughly ruminate on this, what will happen if we fail. For a start... we're off. We'll wrap up 10 years of banging our heads against the wall trying to help variety, freeform, breaks, up and coming producers, the wider genre, and leave y'all with what's left. Step back and think *really* hard about what that is, and likely will be.

Whilst those specific things may not figure prominently on this project, the relative lack of reciprocation from those camps has been a massive bugbear for us for a long time.

There is no doubt at all we can take our key artists, and industry models, and move over to D&B for a far easier life and notable rewards. Key promotion players in industry *always* ask why we haven't.

The answer is that I think we've spent 10 years playing a chess game, and the pieces *are* there for things to get better. The partisan insular nature of the scene, and listeners within it, are an increasingly large factor in why that might not play out as it could. You can't expect things to get better if you gleefully cut the sprout off everything that pokes out of the dirt.

CDJay

HU is the 2nd wind in the USA. All the loyal; dedicated; & informed hardcore fans are squarely in your arena.
This is hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aP3ZvtP9pw

This is not hardcore........ and the people in attendance; have **** all to do with hardcore.
https://www.facebook.com/DJGammerFans/?fref=ts

( Yes; gammer at nocturnal)

Styles & Gammer had to utterly sacrifice the genre to gain any entrance into this " boom" . I admire those who respected the genre enough not to warp it into near unrecognizable commercial garbage. It is funny they were so compelled to make the big stage; when all the big stage is ( atleast in usa); is literally the most popular; untalented hyped up dj at the time; playing the most regurgitated trash. Any body can make some bunk trap/future bass toon and become the next soundcloud star; EDC will pick you up quick.

They slaved making hardcore in an underground scene; where each and every fan loves them to death and knows all of their lyrics to every track .A sound not for everyone; but they are widely known and eternal legends in the scene. Sure; it's small; but loyal. Unrivaled. Guess it wasn't enough. That's all fine I suppose. Even more fame is nice I guess. I just don't like anybody pretending it was for the expansion of hardcore. They don't need to insult us like that now.

I do think real hardcore could actually get much bigger; alot of people are seriously unaware we party like that here. Definitely not by projecting a sound that has nothing to do with hardcore though. It would actually be through the ; anime/ mecha/ lasers..... just a cyclic example of people and the world.... once everyone gets over this fake ********; they will be looking for the real party again...

guess gams just likes that bunk US mainstream garbage alot.

*who doesn't like an M - project art cover now?
ravers want that shit.

nothing against a cleaner HU approach though ;p
CDJay To get things back on track, something unifying has to happen. We're really, really, hoping this is it.

CDJay
Elipton As I said with my first post, anything anyone can say so far is an interpretation rather than a review.

My point in summary was that this can be made to stick in peoples mind a little better with the visuals as the distinction between HU-comp albums are blurred. If it's got iconic tracks, give it iconic artwork
warped_candykid I don't know what other scenes in the US are like, but there's been like a strict "don't book anything over 150 bpm" blanket rule over my scene. We have one safe haven for Hardcore, but even then, the followers of Hardcore in that area are of the new generation (18-21 years old), and they all love their Gammer, Darren, & S3RL. (But then again....when all the other top names have left 'Seduction, Brisk, Ham, ' can you blame them?)

Love them or hate them, I miss the old candy ravers who knew all the Happy2bHardcore anthems, and were always in the know about who's who in Hardcore. Today's generation has no clue as to where their beloved Darren Styles started, or even Gammer's early tracks with Dougal.

Skidzorz "Ahh kids these days and their dang blasted music".

If CDJ is saying their is a specific reason for ahit looking like this then I buy it. As much as we want everything to be insular and live in our little raving fantasy bubble, if continuing to release stuff with that aesthetic means it doesn't Get bought at all (not even asking 1000 copies of HU is sad and says a lot about the scene atm) then in okay with it being released looking a bit generic. Do we need every EDM/big room listening fan to buy HC? No. But we need SOMEHODY to, or they will close up shop, simple as that. As much as they don't need clubland profit, they need to eat.

People Are literally not taking this into account. I AANT CARTOONY COVERS TOO, maybe that aesthetic isn't viable from any kind of financial standpoint anymore. And as much as they're doing this for the passion, they need some kind of reciprocation to continue.
arpz CDJay, how about getting F&D to do a 2016 John Peel (Not Enough)?

You could do the prophetic voiceover work.. maybe it could be 'Kutski (Not Enough)'? :D
trippnface
hey ; i feel it guys. I am not suggesting we dip ourselves in pitch and run over a cliff or anything; even I can accept a modernized commercial track to reach out for the average joe here and there. As long as we are agreed that is what it is and why ;) .

No need for an honorable death through the stomach approach.. yet!
Golion I get a bit sad reading the comments here. Is UK hardcore really in such a bad spot right now? :/ My absolute favorite genre of all times is hard trance. I still play that style of music at alot of raves but to be honest - it's really dead and I would hate to see UK hardcore follow it. the harddance scene really gets better the more different styles there are and I don't really see a reason why styles like hardhouse, (happy) hardcore or hard trance needs to be seperated from hardstyle or hardcore/gabber.

Well I will do my very small part by buying more albums from Hu (Im starting to get a nice collection) and booking more UK hardcore djs at our local clubnights in Sweden (Fracus & Darwin are coming over to one of our events in december).

I really look forward to the Hardcore heaven album and I think its great that we get the full tunes digitally =)
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:

but gammer and styles ****ing suck right now.

I think that is the most important point.

They got shittier; to please a dumber crowd.

Hardly an accomplishment.

* if gammer and styles are " progressing hardcore" I would rather see it completely die. Utter ****ing trash they are on about. Playing trap mainstream edc to abunch of rolled out college kids is about as least hardcore as it gets.

"The scene didn't do itself any favours with all the sped-up-Hands-Up ******** that was being put out in the mid-2000's, "

wrong. Music like that is what keeps the twats away.

Legitimate post. Could've been written by me.

I'd also like to add that the mid-'00s sound actually attracted an audience, unlike hardcore now. Look at the sales of the CXH albums compared to what we have now. Just LOL at the entire argument.

Hardcore sold its soul and still couldn't achieve that mainstream breakthrough.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Golion:
I get a bit sad reading the comments here. Is UK hardcore really in such a bad spot right now? :/ My absolute favorite genre of all times is hard trance. I still play that style of music at alot of raves but to be honest - it's really dead and I would hate to see UK hardcore follow it. the harddance scene really gets better the more different styles there are and I don't really see a reason why styles like hardhouse, (happy) hardcore or hard trance needs to be seperated from hardstyle or hardcore/gabber.

Well I will do my very small part by buying more albums from Hu (Im starting to get a nice collection) and booking more UK hardcore djs at our local clubnights in Sweden (Fracus & Darwin are coming over to one of our events in december).

I really look forward to the Hardcore heaven album and I think its great that we get the full tunes digitally =)

I would say yes. Others might disagree.

It depends on what hardcore means to you.

Name your 3 favourite hardcore tracks of all time and I'll tell you if there's anything left in the scene for you.
Golion
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:
Originally posted by Golion:
I get a bit sad reading the comments here. Is UK hardcore really in such a bad spot right now? :/ My absolute favorite genre of all times is hard trance. I still play that style of music at alot of raves but to be honest - it's really dead and I would hate to see UK hardcore follow it. the harddance scene really gets better the more different styles there are and I don't really see a reason why styles like hardhouse, (happy) hardcore or hard trance needs to be seperated from hardstyle or hardcore/gabber.

I would say yes. Others might disagree.

It depends on what hardcore means to you.

Name your 3 favourite hardcore tracks of all time and I'll tell you if there's anything left in the scene for you.

I tried to make a top 3 list but it's just not possible. To much music to choose from. But what I love in hardcore is influences from oldschool ravemusic. Bittersweet stuff with pianos always gets me. When artists combine that style with more modern kicks that is the best for me. I also don't mind the very trancy milleniumstuff at all but (tracks like Dougal & Gammer - Stomp or Splash - Blame The Moon (Kevin Energy Remix) never gets boring) but the most pure hardcore for me is the very "ravesounding" if that makes any sense? :P

Modern day stuff that I love is like Entity, F&D, Dj Shimamura and Jakazid.

CDJay You're safe

CDJay
Bring Me Round To Love There are still labels and artist pushing a more harder 00's sound and always have been, these will be totally pushed under the carpet by the likes of Styles & Gammer, these tracks will be to hard and not watered down enough or not overly compressed edm sounding.

It's funny how DnB still sounds like DnB? So why not Hardcore

5 years from now whos gonna care anyway, Hardcore would have jumped on the next hipster trend, even some the newer Scott Brown tracks are sounding very Gammer'ish.

Would be nice to see the scene be more innovative like they have been in the past why follow trends when you can create them.
Samination Funny how gammer used to sound like scott brown back in the days. But yea i agree, it almost like hardcore and freeform need to be agresssive to change their sound compared to most other genres. Metal for example haven't chqnged much since late 80s and that kind of sound is still popular
Elliott
quote:
You're safe

CDJay

Yep.

@Golion: Don't worry then, mate. The stuff you enjoy is still being produced in large quantities and there are still plenty of events in the UK where that music is being played. So look, the scene overall isn't in the healthiest place: rave attendances are quite low amd tjere hardly any compilation albums coming out (but it seems like HU will fix that for you!). But the music that you enjoy is in no immediate danger of dying. Don't worry.

I don't know if you'll ever be able to get anything going in Sweden in terms of events since the UK scene, by far the largest, isn't doing well itself but there's no existential threat to the music.

GL to HU with the compilation. The mid-'00s run of HH albums are some of my all-time complations. It's actually kind of a shame to me that you're picking the name back up so you can run it into the ground with stuff that sounds nothing like any previous HH compilation but I don't begrudge you any success.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Bring Me Round To Love:
There are still labels and artist pushing a more harder 00's sound and always have been, these will be totally pushed under the carpet by the likes of Styles & Gammer, these tracks will be to hard and not watered down enough or not overly compressed edm sounding.

5 years from now whos gonna care anyway, Hardcore would have jumped on the next hipster trend, even some the newer Scott Brown tracks are sounding very Gammer'ish.

Would be nice to see the scene be more innovative like they have been in the past why follow trends when you can create them.

Who are they? Where can I find them? The only reason I spend so much time bitching about the state of hardcore is that I can't find any ****ing hardcore to listen to. If I had a new Skydivin' or something, I'd be listening to that instead of complaining.

I'm not some negative-for-the-sake-of-it troll. I have so many better things I could be doing but that's how passionate I am about MY sound of hardcore.
Bring Me Round To Love Your right Samination, when i first heard 'Dougal & Gammer - The 6th Gate' assumed it was made by Scott Brown, also 'Ham - Come Again'

I for one was really happy to see producers take influences from the king of hardcore and take the music in a good direction.

Funny how the tables turn and not always for the better, Hardcore should be Hard or whats the point.
Golion CDJay - Good to hear :P

Elliott - Thank for a good answer. It really sucks seing a style of music that you love die (as I said - hard trance is my nr.1 genre and its almost non existent today) so I can sort of feel your pain here. Booking some Uk djs to come over here is a project of mine that I mostly do for fun and not for profit or to become the next Htid (Im old enough to be realistic about these thing lol). But if I can help spread the sound a little bit, why not give it a go? =)

Samination - It seems to be like this in many styles of dancemusic. Trends seem to play a very big role for many producers. Hardstyle was the worst offender. It went for what felt like overnight from being really close to dark, pulsation german hard trance (Tracid traxx, Overdose) to being a cheesyfest like no other. And not cheesy in the good "this put a smile on my face" way, cheesy like "I would be ashamed if people associated me with this". Thankfully hardstyle now sounds alot better to me but there was a few years of cringeworthy music for sure :/

Bring Me Round To Love
quote:
quote:
There are still labels and artist pushing a more harder 00's sound and always have been, these will be totally pushed under the carpet by the likes of Styles & Gammer, these tracks will be to hard and not watered down enough or not overly compressed edm sounding.

Who are they? Where can I find them? The only reason I spend so much time bitching about the state of hardcore is that I can't find any ****ing hardcore to listen to. If I had a new Skydivin' or something, I'd be listening to that instead of complaining.

I'm not some negative-for-the-sake-of-it troll. I have so many better things I could be doing but that's how passionate I am about MY sound of hardcore.

Trackmaster, Candy Crush, Eufeion etc

Playing Next Generation Blatant Beats V.3 CD what a blast.
djDMS I'm starting to notice a few old skool rave sounds appearing in tracks quite regularly. If that's going to be the next 'trend' then I might just stick around a bit longer.

As for the HH album, it's going to have to be commercial/current enough to appeal to the Styles/Gammer 'OMG UR MUSIK IZ DA BEST' crowd, tuneful enough to appeal to the regular crowd, and underground enough to appeal to the purist. I really hope it hits the spot that a lot of people say HU7 missed.
Elliott
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fair play. Dowster & Vagabond and Eufeion have all been doing some good stuff. I was kinda hoping you were gonna unveil some hidden treasure trove of UK hardcore though!

That album was amazing.
trippnface
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fair play. Dowster & Vagabond and Eufeion have all been doing some good stuff. I was kinda hoping you were gonna unveil some hidden treasure trove of UK hardcore though!

That album was amazing.

here one i didnt find till recently :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cwjjj56-dk
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That album was amazing.

here one i didnt find till recently :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cwjjj56-dk

That's big. I had just started to lose my faith in Technikore and then he does this. The most modern thing in that whole track is the tape stop on the lead.

I think he's one of those producers who just really loves supersaw-driven hardcore. I don't think he'll ever give up on it completely.

I think I'll start using this as a mixdown reference track. Perfect example of how to create proper hardcore with 2016 production values.

Technikore's still a problem in 2016!
Craigavon raver Bring it on, more compilations the better! big up hu, things should be coming out that I can't wait to get my hands on
skarr
quote:
Very welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn't look professional though does it, it's trying to look stylish and minimal but looks basic and cheap, I don't mean to have a go, but when you are saying that the fate of the whole genre rests on this cd then surely you should sack whoever did the artwork for gross misconduct, if you walked into hmv, to buy a hardcore cd, you didn't really know much about the genre, and you seen this next to the latest rebuild cd, which one would you buy?
Captain Triceps Maybe the cover should look like this one:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hardcore/release/239901

or even this one:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Hardcore-2/release/221614?ev=rr
skarr What has this compilation actually got to do with hardcore heaven/slammin vinyl? How are they involved?
Elliott
quote:
What has this compilation actually got to do with hardcore heaven/slammin vinyl? How are they involved?

Probably nothing but if you want to license yourself some brand recognition, you go with Hardcore Heaven every time.
skarr So your putting 3 dj's that absolutely anyone slightly unfamiliar with hardcore never would have heard of , 1 of which MOST people who are into the genre find very very boring, combined with really shit artwork and a brand that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the actual cd , which has actually released some of the greatest hardcore compilations of all time, and your wondering why it might not do so well?
CDJay We're working with the Hardcore Heaven brand, which, incidently, we also nearly did back in 2011 before we were pushed out to make way for the usual suspects instead using a model we'd identified as faulty.

I had 20,000 pounds ready to throw into it, and said we'd do another one even if the first one lost money. Instead, I bought a car and passively watched as I was proved right for the umpteenth time.

So, with that in mind, your cynicism might be slightly off base. F&D actually scan pretty well out of genre and the whole point of this is to push things forward. If you put the same old names on there, particularly when they only have the same old music, we get to watch history repeat itself.

Hate on the artwork all you want, but in the end the actual finished physical product *will* raise the bar. I personally guarantee that. If you'd rather something "as it was" those albums still exist and you can go and listen to them. The existence of a new iteration in this oft-rebooted series doesn't affect your enjoyment of the existing ones in any way. I'm not 100% convinced that any of the previous HH albums were/are considered overly iconic from an purely artwork standpoint, anyway.

CDJay

Impulse_Response
quote:
... I'm not 100% convinced that any of the previous HH albums were/are considered overly iconic from an purely artwork standpoint, anyway.

CDJay

Especially not HH3, which sold out and went with the obligatory not-very-attractive girl in a bikini.

skarr
quote:
We're working with the Hardcore Heaven brand, which, incidently, we also nearly did back in 2011 before we were pushed out to make way for the usual suspects instead using a model we'd identified as faulty.

I had 20,000 pounds ready to throw into it, and said we'd do another one even if the first one lost money. Instead, I bought a car and passively watched as I was proved right for the umpteenth time.

So, with that in mind, your cynicism might be slightly off base. F&D actually scan pretty well out of genre and the whole point of this is to push things forward. If you put the same old names on there, particularly when they only have the same old music, we get to watch history repeat itself.

Hate on the artwork all you want, but in the end the actual finished physical product *will* raise the bar. I personally guarantee that. If you'd rather something "as it was" those albums still exist and you can go and listen to them. The existence of a new iteration in this oft-rebooted series doesn't affect your enjoyment of the existing ones in any way. I'm not 100% convinced that any of the previous HH albums were/are considered overly iconic from an purely artwork standpoint, anyway.

CDJay

I honestly admire your passion and love for the hardcore scene, you are a true professional and no matter how much dickheads like me give you shit you always have a non offensive, intelligent, relevant reply, hats off to you sir!
arpz By the looks of it, it seems to have a bit more backing from people too - probably more so than a HU compilation would've had if it was coming out at the same time. I think it's probably a good call, even if I'm not a big fan of the artwork
Elliott
quote:
quote:
We're working with the Hardcore Heaven brand, which, incidently, we also nearly did back in 2011 before we were pushed out to make way for the usual suspects instead using a model we'd identified as faulty.

CDJay

I honestly admire your passion and love for the hardcore scene, you are a true professional and no matter how much dickheads like me give you shit you always have a non offensive, intelligent, relevant reply, hats off to you sir!

CDJay is basically the anti-Thumpa.

Calmest head in the business when it comes to dealing with people.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
quote:
... I'm not 100% convinced that any of the previous HH albums were/are considered overly iconic from an purely artwork standpoint, anyway.

CDJay

Especially not HH3, which sold out and went with the obligatory not-very-attractive girl in a bikini.

I always wondered if it was weird that I never found those girls attractive.. Apparently not.

Man, hardcore CDs in those days were embarrassing. Great music; shit covers.
djDMS
quote:
quote:
Very welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

It doesn't look professional though does it, it's trying to look stylish and minimal but looks basic and cheap, I don't mean to have a go, but when you are saying that the fate of the whole genre rests on this cd then surely you should sack whoever did the artwork for gross misconduct, if you walked into hmv, to buy a hardcore cd, you didn't really know much about the genre, and you seen this next to the latest rebuild cd, which one would you buy?

I'd buy the one that looks best on the back cover, not the front.
CDJay If it was in anyway economically effective there would be a guy in a thong on the back cover variant pour toi. It's not like we didn't detour that way, at least we put a HU medallion on her and failed to get any visible copies out.

CDJay
arpz Does that medallion actually exist? ...
CDJay Clearly. It is a potential inversion unit. Wear it and fail to your full potential!

CDJay
Elliott
quote:
Clearly. It is a potential inversion unit. Wear it and fail to your full potential!

CDJay

Ha.
arpz
quote:
Clearly. It is a potential inversion unit. Wear it and fail to your full potential!

CDJay

That bird adorns the most highly pri(c/z)ed HU compilation! Wonder what she's upto now...
CDJay The necklace was radioactive. She swam away, but medical advisors say the odds aren't good. She gets off lightly, Imo.

CDJay
Samination
quote:
If it was in anyway economically effective there would be a guy in a thong on the back cover variant pour toi. It's not like we didn't detour that way, at least we put a HU medallion on her and failed to get any visible copies out.

CDJay

Dean's waiting for your call you know? ;)
robertybob
quote:

I dunno, I found her more attractive than the blonde from HH4 ! (plus anything the CLXH lot put out)
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by robertybob:
quote:

I dunno, I found her more attractive than the blonde from HH4 ! (plus anything the CLXH lot put out)

I agree. In either case I'd slip the HH lasses a length before the CXH girls.
Needless to say, not the cartoons, of course.
arpz HH3 girl was in my tutor group at school.

She wasn't the HH3 girl at that point, but you could tell she was destined for great things ;D
robertybob
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
HH3 girl was in my tutor group at school.

She wasn't the HH3 girl at that point, but you could tell she was destined for great things ;D

What was this lass's name? Asking for a friend..

arpz Her name is Hanna h Shetler

edit: I put a space in there in case someone googles her and reads this and it comes across as weird. But in doing so I've probably made it weirder than it had to be. Sorry
CDJay CD1: Mixed by Fracus & Darwin

01. Fracus & Darwin vs. Michael Mansion - Don't Let Me Go
02. Impact & In Effect - Close Your Eyes (In Effect & Darwin Remix)
03. Chwhynny - Still I Am
04. Fracus & Darwin vs. Strife II - Heartfelt
05. Nicholson feat. Niki Mak - To The Flame (Charlotte's Theme) (Technikore Remix)
06. MOB - I'll Be Good (2016 VIP)
07. Hyperforce feat. Cail Baroni - Too Late (She Cries)
08. Gregor le DahL feat. Allison Gray - Change (Technikore Remix)
09. Hotchkiss feat. Ceci - Shut Out Of Paradise
10. Da Tweekaz & Darren Styles - Heroes (170 Mix)
11. Reflux & Stu Infinity - You Gotta Know
12. Skinny & Darwin - Everybody (It's Time)
13. Gareth Emery feat. Janet Devlin - Lost (Fracus & Darwin Remix)
14. Michael Mansion - Another Notch (Dy5oN Remix)
15. Stonebank feat. EMEL- Be Alright
16. JAKAZiD - Amnesia
17. Reflux & Joey Riot - The Other Side (Macks Wolf Remix)
18. Rampant & Obie vs. Darwin & Ant Johnson - Twice Around The Moon (Fracus & Darwin Remix)
19. Technikore feat. Emi - Just Be (Fracus & Darwin Remix)
20. Fracus & Darwin - Keep On Reachin'

CD2: Mixed by MOB

01. MOB & Enemy feat. Nina - Iron Heart (HH Edit)
02. Nuton - Way Back Home
03. Joey Riot vs. Starkiss - Bang To The Beat
04. MOB & Callum Higby - Creation
05. MOB vs. Strider feat. Jenny J - Bring Me Home
06. Outforce & Hartshorn - Put Yo Hood Up
07. Technikore & JTS - Worlds Collide
08. MOB & Outforce - Now & Then
09. Stonebank - Who's Got Your Love
10. MOB & Klubfiller - Heart Of Glass
11. MOB - Never Let You Down (Callum Higby Remix)
12. Modulate & Obie - Believe
13. MOB feat. Lou - Butterflies 2016
14. Alex Prospect & Spyro - Up To No Good
15. TBC
16. Wasted Penguinz - Bitterness (Fracus & Darwin Remix)
17. Dougal & Gammer - One For The Ravers
18. Styles & Breeze - Into Your Eyes (MOB X Callum Higby Remix)
19. Klubfiller - Universe
20. MOB vs. Supreme & Chunky - Timebomb (MOB & Starkiss Remix)

Available to pre-order, now, at http://www.hardcoreunderground.co.uk/

I actually do think the physical run will sell out, it certainly deserves to.

CDJay
Captain Triceps Buzzing. Will be ordering this when I get paid.
Ikstra Tracklist looks incredible. Will be preordering tomorrow

It took 3.5 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page