Radio listeners 162+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 Front page news%2C end of mixes%3F

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Menion According to the news on the frontpage it's now not goning to be safe to release tape packs and/or record live at events. But wouldn't this apply to all the mixes that dj's do for promotion, I mean, mp3 mixes from a bedroom dj posted here etc... it's kinda the same thing, isn't?

silver It's fine if they licence them... so if people want to release the live recordings they have to pay the artists / labels the way every other legal CD release does.

Personally (and i aint a dj) i think it is pure greed, if the CD is being produced, the DJ's must already have PURCHACED the vinyl...i cant see y songs need to be licenced if there is no profit bing made directly from the CD. like my mates give me mixes on CD all the time, for me to listen to to make comment on...not to sell for $598234524
Greed is a bad seed indeed people
OUT
GregE

I EAT KANGEROOS!!!
DJ Dizzystick i don't think the producers are worried about people making demos and giving them away for free. they're taking legal action against companies that release live mixes for profit, profit which never ever see's the producers pocket. bedroom dj's aren't hurting the scene. they're helping it stay alive. (that's unless they're selling their mixes without licensing the tracks first) at least that's my understading on the issue.

Keep The Beats Bangin
GregE it is this simple...release a cd that u mixed with out permission of each of labels on that CD and they can prosicute you and sue you for any profit u made off it. That includes if u gave the CD away but it was listened to by some club and u got a gig.
not sure if they would pash it but yeah will post that link as i said
OUT
GregE

I EAT KANGEROOS!!!
Comet That's a little different. There is no way you could get hired for anything if you didn't send out a demo CD to promoters. The only thing I think this affects is the selling of live performances. As in, if you sell your CD or anyones CD without getting the permission from the artists. I know Scott Brown doesn't care at all when DJs make a mix containing some of his songs if it was for demo use. But when you get to the point of selling it, that's where it get's sketchy.

__________ _ _ __________ _ _ __________ _ _ __________ _ _
Y Don't U get off your arse and get these tracks out instead...
mrc im all up for DJ's gettin what they deserve, its only fair.

But who do you think is gona pay for it? Not Slammin or any other event that does tape packs, its always the consumer.

oh s*it man, what was i saying?
djmarinecorpse This is the combination of two posts I made to the Kniteforce forums on the subject. Please, don't flame me as a result.

quote:
Bloody pricks. If you ask me, they're getting too greedy. There can be no such thing as licensed tape packs - the only reason there are so many tape packs out there is because of the cheapness of making them. I do not buy mix CDs, but tape packs were somewhat interesting because of their cheap price. So many good old obscure tracks I found out about through tape packs, because it wasn't just a disc of hits that some CD company thought were worth paying for. The one thing that I've always found liberating about the hardcore scene is the attitude towards copyright. I mean, you blatantly steal someone else's work, that's always been just wrong. But there was never any anger over licensing payments for tracks at events - you bought the vinyl, and that was the end of it - none of this club licensing shit. And even if you pissed someone off, it was mostly held as a grudge rather than a full-scale legal battle over it.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that the growing commercialization of hardcore as it grows in popularity is totally ****ing it up. Not just the scene, but also the music is generally growing horrible, with labels like Raver Baby and the newer Evolution releases paving the road with shit.

Agh... Sorry, I'm probably overreacting - I'm just in a rather nasty mood today.

Sorry, I forgot to include my retort to the CD issue: basically, it's not gonna matter if it's CD or not - it isn't even the complete song. I have tons of tape pack rips - I consider a tape pack rip to be as good as a track off a mix CD - i.e. useless, except as preview for the real thing. Really, it was somewhat cheeky on SV's part, but it's still not, in my opinion, rude enough to warrant action...

Paul

Old sig removed due to stagnation.
djmarinecorpse Anybody notice that the SV site is down? I'm in such a bad funk right now I was gonna go and look into buying the New Year's pack...

Paul

DarrenJ Personally I think they have a right to do this
They live of the money they make on vinyls and shows they do
but I think its sad that other people wont hear what they missed out on, esp when most people who will buy the mix will be the ones who were there.
If not they might just hear the tape or mix and say "hey hardcore isnt that bad...my friend says it sounds like a old washing machine banging around but this is good"....which of sadly heard :(
Boo @ the people selling the tapes/cd's thu

well I, I will, I will hardcore
Exhile Get it from the HH.com shop.

----------------------------------------------------------

Find all my mixes at www.intenseradio.co.uk

Frank
DarrenJ Boo at everyone else then *hides*

silver What's the difference between someone sharing MP3's and the artists not getting any money and tape pack producers copying the tunes 1000's of times and SELLING it! .... Nothing, except this is worse because the tape producers and just taking something that is not there's, selling it making money and giving nothing to the people that actually wrote the tunes.

Fair enough that the DJ's get a big sum of money but that aint fair to the new talent and the labels that get nothing. Hardcore needs new talent and tape packs offer nothing to these people.

All the labels and artists and not putting up with this anymore, it's gone on far enough... you will not see unlicenced tape packs in hardcore anymore.

Simon Had they done this 4/5 years ago, then Hardcore would be in a real state! A LOT of people I know who first got introduced to hardcore was from a tape frome a tape pack, Now it's easier to find and understand what hardcore music is, but back then it wasn't so easily found. I think it's a shame really, but I tell you one thing, I bet the D&B artists won't complain about the tapes, and there on the same deal they won't recieve any money for them, but a lot of the UK D&B scene pride themselves on being underground, and tapes "were" one of the best ways to get the music around to people.

"Hush little baby, don’t say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It’s just the beast under your bed,
In your closet, in your head"
Peg i think this will have a cascade affect on the music scene startig wid hardcore

Hardcore 4EVA
Lazerath spelling peg????? but your right. it will. and it will turn out bad.

Hardcore Forever. True And Thru. Never Let It End.
djmarinecorpse This is merely the first casualty of hardcore getting too big for it's own good...

Paul

withaC I'm not being funny but i buy the tape packs 'cause they remind me of the night, listening to them in ya car with ya mates, a track comes on the MC screams sumit at ya and ya like "F*** me... i was proper mashed when this was dropped, chattin to some random 'bout fraggle rock" or something.

SV bringing out the CDs i think is good, i like CDs, but it ain't goona stop me buying a mix CD just cause the same tracks are on one of my tape packs.

Christ, i must have nearly every hardcore track at least twice on CD, tape, Vinyl or MP3.

I kno i'm not the only one.

Greed is just wrong and nasty... That ain't hardcore, thats RnB. Lets not get all bling bling now pls!

We ain't Rubbish n B*ll*cks, WE'RE HARDCORE!

Underloop Everybody seems to be throwing the word "greedy" around.... answer this one question:

Who is being greedy....The producers who spent their time crafting their tunes to perfection and shelling out their own money to bring out records that may only just break even.

OR

The events organisations who flaunt the copyright of other peoples hard work after already bringing in a bunch of cash from the event itself.

Now please don't get me wrong, tape packs are as much a part of hardcore as glow sticks IMO, and I think the scene needs them. However, its about time the producers who get their work on the tapes and CDs get what is owed to them.

Some sort of compromise needs to be reached over this which doesn't increase the price of the packs. Maybe the head honchos in hardcore should have a sit down and a nice cup of tea with teh event organisers and thrash about some ideas...... surely some compromise can be reached where everybody is happy?

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
Simon
quote:
Originally posted by Underloop:

Some sort of compromise needs to be reached over this which doesn't increase the price of the packs.

I thought the compramise was the event organisers paying SOME of the dj's £800+ for 1 hours work!!!

Although I understand this isn't gonna get people like Nick Arnold any money because they don't play out.......Yet his songs are OFTEN played out!

"Hush little baby, don’t say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It’s just the beast under your bed,
In your closet, in your head"
silver Nothing wrong with tape packs, Slammin vinyl have just been abusing hardcore for their own profit at the expense of labels and artists. Slammin just have to licence the tracks if they want to release the packs from now on.

DJ Darkside
Hardcore Rules!
Go Widda Flow & Don't Stop, But Always Remember To Let The Beats Drop!
Lazerath which in the long run is alot better for everyone.... and tape packs are gr8

Exhile Well theoretically your not allwed to post up mp3 mixes for people to download either. Im actually gonna take bvetter care with this now and only allow streaming on mixes ythat i post up from now on

----------------------------------------------------------

Find all my mixes at www.intenseradio.co.uk

Frank
whispering Dont have any tape packs and dont like them. If i buy a record i wanna pay for the artist, not some promoter in UK... Although i didnt have anything against them, untill i read this:

"Brisk from Next Generation has also said that Next Generation have delayed the release of their new album because of the recent Slammin NYE CD pack due to the fact Next Generation recieve no money from their hard work on creating these fresh new tracks and the fact the illegal CD's contains about half of the tracks on the new album."

Now i see this law thing only as a good thing (not only coz ive been waiting a new NG/BB Collection for almoust a year). Tape packs were tolerated, slammin had the Hardcore Heaven CD serie, but i guess they thought that they could make more money if they also take the artists share. They got too greedy and crossed the line...

dbzninja41 I think selling live mixes for profit without giving money to the artist is wrong, but honestly, how things go today, the live mix is sold to a few thousand people for a cheap price, then everyone else gets it on the internet. I personally think that live electronic captures the whoel spirit of the music better than listening to a cd recorded in the studio. Without the filesharring and the distributing of live mixes, I'd probably only know about Darude.

kg4 i think this is a great thing. if the promoters are making enough money off of these (cheap) tapepacks that the artists have to step in and require licensing, then i think that just proves how strong the scene is growing.

its such a shame that all the hardcore artists/djs that have devoted their live to us should be able to make a living finally! -sarcasm-

and i don't think that this applied to bedroom djs sending out free demos. unless teh bedroom dj got ahold of an unreleased(or unfinished) track that is.

Oh man, I hope I didn't brain my damage...
mr bishi I don't think tape packs have that much of an impact on album sales or vinyl sales because of the pure shite quality of the recordings,actually they prob help them.

But now these pax are cd quality and that can only lead to less Bonkers, HTID etc..... been released because people will have already bought high quality unlicenced version of new track long b4 they arrive on a proper album.

Don't know if that made much sense but my stance on the matter is.

Ban cd pax,keep tape pax.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think
not."

Homer Jay Simpson
ryg0r Lets try to look at this objectively:

The artist/dj most likely doesn't want his set recorded. I remember hearing Scott Brown saying that he didn't play at Slammin' cos he knew that they would rip his set, consisting mainly of new tracks.

The people who make the tape packs, recieve easy cash.

The people who buy the packs get them cos they are cheap, they are a good memory of the night, and can hear new choons along with their fav DJ.

With the amount of time it takes to get from the dance floor to the tape packs (as opposed to the stores on CD) its no wonder that people buy them.

This hurts the artist because they are unliscenced (sp??), and thus the only thing he *might* get is recognition. Not hard earned cash.

Why does it affect sales? Tape packs are cheaper than vinyl, and come out faster than CDs. Its almost like the mp3 issue.

I would say, if you really want to keep the tape packs, get some organisation, make sure the artist/DJ wants to, and make sure that the artist/DJ gets a slice of the cake.

-=[ryg0r]=-
silver Another problem was the fact that Slammin did not tell anyone that they were recording the sets infact most of the DJ's had signed contracts saying that Slammin could not record the sets but they did anyway!

The Grim Reaper The tapes were tolerated cos theyre crap quality usualy at best MW radio sound.CD's last longer,better quality.
No other genre allows these to happen.
Some compilation companies dont bother with hardcore cos they couldnt compete with slammins cds.the licening alone would cost thousands.
Labels dont mind dj's demoing thier sets as long as they dont make money. Copyright law is only enforced when people profit from illegal copying.Before you shout Kazaa/grokster etc doesnt make money,and theyve been done.. yes they do,with spyware inside and ads on thweir website.
All your doing is devaluing hardcore by buying tape packs. And that arguement about "i cant buy the vinyl" ..BOLL*X.. fone the artist and pay them £5 for a CD.Someone still has the dats theres enuff forums to find someone that knows that artist to give you an email addy.
Some producers dont DJ, so the only income is from vinyl.They dont get £800 a time for anything.
Bout timethis was sorted,they were taking the piss for years!

The Grim Reaper knows EVERYTHING.

Woxxy i think this is no more than right!
i actually like the idea alot!
the artists who make the tunes don't get a dime from all the profit made of someone else selling their tunes on a liveact cd.
they need to make a living aswell!
think about all the money that gets lost, cause others rip 'em off...
how it affects the scene, i don't know.
the CDs start costing more and this creates two points of view on that.
first one being: artists get better paid, and will make more tunes for everyone to listen to. more happyhardcore for everyone, the scene can grow!
second: people find the CDs too expensive and don't buy the CDs and the hardcore scene slowly but surely dies.

HOWEVER!
the freedom of promoting themselves is basically crucial to the survival of DJs; promos should be completely legal. since no money is made with promos.

if artists and djs could agree on this point that would be great!
free promos/demos, but the sold CDs should also give some money to the artists who produced them.

since promos are just from DJ to event holders, there should be no problem.
even if it was a problem, noone would get caught for it.

take care!

Woxxy - The one and only
http://nettiapuri.net/robbery.php?n=Woxxy
DarrenJ WOW couldnt compete with Bonkers and now is 8cd's for 20pounds (sad), alot of CDs are launched and yes they dont sell multi plat like a mainstream ministry of sound.
once blamed on "media" holding it down, now people are looking for something else to blame
This is what im starting to think..maybe I just have to much time on my hands

whispering
quote:
Originally posted by Woxxy:
the CDs start costing more

I dont think so, Deca Dance (i think thats MoS's sublabel?) and React have both cheap CD's. DecaDance's 3cd/6cd box for 15€ isnt really expensive. Also all the other "regular" releases are all sold at normal cd price.

DJ Superman i think this shows that the scene is really turning around. finally instead of the producers chasing anyone and everyone to get they're stuff released and heard they have the power and the demand from the growing scene to be able to ask for what's theirs.... a part of the profit from they're work that's being sold. anyway, if the producers get more money then they'll do more producing

i'v got loads of tape packs and i think that as long as they keep selling them (very important part of the scene IMO) then money should go to anyone who helped make it possible.

whizz-billy-the-kid's got you in his sights
djtommyrenegade just a question probably stupid but anyway:

wen i play out i bring my md recorder with me and record my set live onto the md, does this mean i cant do it unless i wanna license it?

stupid i know but just wanna be sure

http://www.djtommyrenegade.tk
mr bishi
quote:
wen i play out i bring my md recorder with me and record my set live onto the md, does this mean i cant do it unless i wanna license it?

Just as long as yu where not selling it on i doubt there would be a problem.

Sharkey said on ush that people who where posting mixes online should contact the record label for permission for the use of there tunes,thats going a bit far in my opinion.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think
not."

Homer Jay Simpson
silver
quote:
Originally posted by mr bishi:
Sharkey said on ush that people who where posting mixes online should contact the record label for permission for the use of there tunes,thats going a bit far in my opinion.

Slammin and tape pack producers have brought this on themselves, they got greedy and what was seen as fair promotion has now crossed the line into taking money from the artists... Because of this the grey area is slowing fading out into can't do and can do.

I'm quite in the loop on what is going on legal wise about this... Trust me it aint gonna be pretty, if your selling mixes (which is illegal) I would stop ASAP.

Y Don't U get off your arse and get these tracks out instead...
atomicb Well I take it slammin' is unlikely to back down on this.. so I hate to say it I'll prolly have to hurry up and buy those cd's before they vanish...

Chances are I'll buy 99% of the records from it anyway ;)

The Grim Reaper
quote:
Originally posted by atomicb:
Well I take it slammin' is unlikely to back down on this.. so I hate to say it I'll prolly have to hurry up and buy those cd's before they vanish...

lol..slammin will back down like timid puppies in a new house,otherwise the MCPS will cut their license to make any more CD's and confiscate any stocks they have.Oh... and the fine can be in excess of £100K if they backdate the action. Anyone remember the Streetsounds story from years ago?? MCPS took over 500K cd's and records from their warehouse... and destroyed them!

djtommyrenegade
quote:
Originally posted by mr bishi:
quote:

Just as long as yu where not selling it on i doubt there would be a problem.

hmmm suppose but just makin sure, dont wanna get hit wit a big piracy fine or anything

http://www.djtommyrenegade.tk
hecttechrecords everyone has made good points but here are the FACTS

Demo tapes : labels encourage these as always

Online mixes: labels are not bothered about these either

Cd packs : will NEVER be released again, every label is together on this

Tape packs : unless you have an mcps license and pay royalties they are illegal and legal action WILL be taken.

as for slammin not accepting this...... tough shit

Kyle_Buffrey It's disgusting that Slammin' did not honour the contracts that the DJs signed, that stated that their sets would not be recorded. First they leave loads of people stood outside in the cold for hours, then they do this. I wonder if there has been any issues with the drum and bass cd packs as well?

Tape packs should go on in licensed form, but the DJs should sign a contract beforehand to say they set can be recorded, and the labels should be consulted too, i.e if the DJ is playing a certain dubplate/promo cdr that the label does not wish for the general public to hear yet. The DJs should be paid extra for the recording, and the labels should recieve royalties for their tracks. That is my opinion on tapepacks.

As for bedroom Djs like many of ourselves making mixes on tapes or minidiscs etc, I doubt that it is in the interest of hardcore artists to discourage us from playing hardcore by suing us out of pocket for making a hardcore mixtape purely for fun! After all we spent hundreds of pounds on the featured vinyl which pays their wages. They are probably pleased to see us enjoying their work (vinyls) and taking their creation even further by creating something which is a collage, that combines all their work into one piece (a mixtape) and if that tape is not making money or ripping them off in any form, they will probably take the fact that their track is on your tape as a compliment! The current DJs/Artists will have to retire and be replaced by us one day, and therefore the bedroom djs and producers are the future of hardcore. The mixtapes that we create are part of the educational process we are going through to get to the level, that our idols are at.

But if you are going to use a track in a mixtape, that you might profit in some form from it is a guess idea to consult the artist first, it's just good manners isn't it?

kg4 ok, so we are allowed to make mixtapes at home, but what about mixcds ?

CandyAss
quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper:
quote:
Originally posted by atomicb:
Well I take it slammin' is unlikely to back down on this.. so I hate to say it I'll prolly have to hurry up and buy those cd's before they vanish...

lol..slammin will back down like timid puppies in a new house,otherwise the MCPS will cut their license to make any more CD's and confiscate any stocks they have.Oh... and the fine can be in excess of £100K if they backdate the action. Anyone remember the Streetsounds story from years ago?? MCPS took over 500K cd's and records from their warehouse... and destroyed them!

Wow, destroying quality music for the sake of money, doesn't sound like the spirit of hardcore to me.

I'll agree on one point, Slammin' are greedy bastards and as much as I respect the music released on their label from the days of yore and their badass parties, I think they deserve whatever they have coming to them.

CandyAss
http://www.3kingscrew.com
http://www.valence2000.com
http://www.hardcorps.org
Lazerath Hit the nail on the head.

If a labels' gonna take advantage. it needs hurt.

silver
quote:
Originally posted by CandyAss:

Wow, destroying quality music for the sake of money, doesn't sound like the spirit of hardcore to me.

All they had to do was licence the tape packs, standard fee is a tiny 18%, so it's their own fault to be honest. It would not change the scene that much there are a ton of other hardcore events and tones of CD releases. Only thing I would dislike about Slammin going would be the fact they kind of stuck with hardcore in the dark times... Just wish they had done it by the book, they would not be in this mess at the moment.

Correct me if i'm wrong here guys but here's a couple of points to think about:

Agreed, doing the CD thing was beyond the mark, they probably thought they'd pull it off as, well, lets put it this way, its not the first time slammin have realeased unlicenced cds from raves. But banning all tape packs is ridiculous!!

I dont see how its gonna affect vinyl sales!
Ok, So DJ Bloggs hears new material on a tape pack and likes it, the tape's no use to him to mix is it? So what does he do? He goes out and BUYS the vinyl of the tracks he's heard. Now , surely thats pushing up vinyl sales?!

On the other side of the coin, Mr Ordinary who doesnt DJ isnt going to go out and buy vinyl or single cds from the labels just to play individual tracks one after the other is he? The only cds he's gonna buy are the mixed ones (hardcore heaven, bonkers for example) in the shops which are still few and far between.

So wheres the problem?

Hardcore is the passion of the chosen....
Kyle_Buffrey I went to a party the other night at a friends house and crashed there, the next day when everyone was recovering, someone put on the tapepack from Slammin' NYE's Drum 'n' Bass room, and the Andy C set sounded really good, but Mampi Swifts set had MC Navigator talking a load of bollocks on the mic all the way through. I'm tempted to buy the tapepack (if my wallet will allow it) but I'd feel quite guilty about it so I probably won't get it.

silver I think everyone agrees that taking something that is not yours and selling it for profit and keeping all the money for yourself is wrong.

If the event promotors had paid just a small amount to the artists this would not be a problem at all. Don't blame the artists for being greedy, blame the event promotors for being greddy.

Audio X I wonder if this applies to oldskool sets as well? Things you can't get on the primary market anymore, I mean. Like, Fantazia has just remastered all their tape packs from the good old days and are selling them on CD now. What are the repurcussions of this for them?

http://www.acidplanet.com/audio_ecstacy
Kyle_Buffrey I've just thought , wouldn't it be difficult to enforce the law, if the tapepack was a recording of a illegally held event, like many were back in the day?

What if a DJ who now only plays at legal events, complains about a tape made of his/her set from a old illegal event from a few years ago? (i.e 1994)

Or if the organisation that produced it is no longer existent and another company re-released the old tape from the non existent orginisation on cd?

These are all probably stupid questions , but it has relevance I guess.

Underloop
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle_Buffrey:
I've just thought , wouldn't it be difficult to enforce the law, if the tapepack was a recording of a illegally held event, like many were back in the day?

Whats the difference between this and making a mix tape in your bedroom and selling it? Its not the event thats copyright, its the tunes themselves that makeup the recordings, so there is no difficulty in enforcing it.

quote:

Or if the organisation that produced it is no longer existent and another company re-released the old tape from the non existent orginisation on cd?

If the organisation that made it is no longer existant, then they are not selling it. If a new company is selling it then they have to pay the royalties.

If you sell somebody else's work, you have to pay the person who's work it is, simple as. It doesn't matter who made the recording just who sells it.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
Kyle_Buffrey Slight confusion there...
About Royalties....
To use a track legally on a recording, do you have to pay the artist a set one-off fee, or a certain percentage of profits made on the recording?

Underloop Usually its a percentage of the sales that you pay to the MCPS, known as royalties (between 17-20%)

I think it is possible to agree a set one off fee, but its very unusual.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
dj-freedom What about playing tracks in a club?

If I were to play a set in a local club (long way of yet!!), would I have to get permission and pay royalties to each individual artists from each vinyl i used?

Underloop
quote:
Originally posted by dj-freedom:
What about playing tracks in a club?

If I were to play a set in a local club (long way of yet!!), would I have to get permission and pay royalties to each individual artists from each vinyl i used?

depends on a few factors.

If you are just DJing there and are NOT the promotor and/or club owner then no you wouldn't have to pay royalties.

If you are the promotor and the club doesn't already have a licence then yes you would have to get a licence (MCPS/PRS AND the PPL I think too).

Events should always have a licence for an event where music is to be played. It is NOT the responsibility of hte DJ though, itis the responsibility of the promotor and/or club. I'm not sure who the buck rests with though, I guess it would depend on the contract the promotor has with the club/venue. Most venues will have a licence of some sort though, but you should ALWAYS check this out before you get a nasty fine from the licencing authorities.

BTW, I would just like to add that the above info is purely a guideline, if you wantthe definitive answer check with a lawyer and/or the MCPS (in the UK) and they will be able to help more.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
Dodgee Everyone has got way over-excited about this and jumped the gun on a lot of things.

Tape packs are not going to die. They will just have to be legal, as they always should have been anyway. This might mean a very slight increase in their price but so what? In a scene with such a small economy aren't you prepared to pay a quid or two extra for them? Ultimately it will give producers some much needed revenue, which can only lead to more music being made.

No-one has a problem with you making demo mixes with released tunes on them. This is how a huge percentage of the current names got into it so why would they object? If you're putting unreleased stuff on those mixes then it goes without saying that you should get permission off the labels concerned anyway.

The problem with this whole issue was the fact that, obviously, DJs were playing their unreleased material at Slammin, stuff which has been licensed to come out soon on proper albums. The problem being that when these albums hit the shelves, a lot of people will already have the "exclusive" tunes on the Slammin CDs (in digital quality), and so might not bother buying the proper album. A lot of labels pretty much RELY on album licensing to survive because the profit to be made from vinyl sales is pretty negligable for many of them.

Some of you are saying the producers are greedy for suddenly deciding they wanna be paid for live recordings, but consider the ones who don't also DJ. They make money purely from record releases/licensing so what's wrong with them requesting what's legally theirs anyway?

It'll all get worked out

It took 2.22 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page