Total online 1408
 Radio listeners 159+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 hardcore producers help a newbie please?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
thecrazyg

Australia
451 posts
thecrazyg has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/01/18 :  06:15:51  Show profile Send a private message
ok basically i am really new to making music. . i haven't made a 'song' yet but i'm working on it ;)

Anyhow i was wondering how you guys go about producing a typically hardcore sound (ie the synth from the main riff in a hardcore tune)
any help appreciated! :D

ANybody wanna donate some cash to the "Turntables for Gav fund?" ~ If you don't, you could be to blame for the demise of happy hardcore!

Alert moderator
Lixx
Advanced Member

United States
1,338 posts

288 hardcore releases
Lixx has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/01/19 :  00:29:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lixx's homepage
Sorry to be critical mate but that's totally the wrong attitude you should have when producing. If you only look to copy what's been done you'll never stand out. Just get a prog like Cubase and some plugins or buy a Roland and play with it until you find what you like

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Seany
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,906 posts
Posted - 2004/01/19 :  00:34:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Seany's homepage
Its an alright approach ,You need to start somewhere...Just play around with some synth ,It'l take time to learn though....It all depends on how far you want to go with producing ,Im sure there are people like me who can help out .(And there are lots others on this site that would help ,But i wont mention names)

"Its An Oral Show ,We have Oral fixations"

thecrazyg

Australia
451 posts
thecrazyg has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/01/19 :  02:03:01  Show profile  Send a private message
lixx (havent i seen that double x thing done before?) . . im not asking you to write me a song i'm just looking for a point of origin so that i have some way of knowing where to begin . .i have been messing around for a few weeks now in fruity loops . . (no i am not made of money)

thanks smilee, im not really serious about producing . . i think i would want to have some idea what i was doing before i decided i would become a pro rather than just decide to become a professional overnight and probably be let down severely :) I just wanted to have a go . . I have heaps of songs stuck up in my head that i invented while just listening to the drums parts of tracks and making up the riffs and stuff in my head and i thought it would be 'cool' if i could make them for real :)

-gav

ANybody wanna donate some cash to the "Turntables for Gav fund?" ~ If you don't, you could be to blame for the demise of happy hardcore!

theres only ever one reply:
IM HARDCORE UNTIL I DIE!

tklown
Advanced Member

United States
512 posts
tklown has attended 15 events
Posted - 2004/01/20 :  00:20:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tklown's homepage
Same, I could produce Dutch Hardcore easily, there is really nothing to it. I don't want to produce that sound though, I want to do HHC. I have the same problem as you but whenever the mood strikes me I just jump into Cubase and start fiddling around. I've been working on my first track for a while now, I'm having a hard time making a good bassline, but I just keep trying

Mr LoSTiT
Average Member

United States
212 posts
Mr LoSTiT has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/01/20 :  06:16:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mr LoSTiT's homepage
that is pretty much how i and probubly how a lot of other people feel, i pretty know how to mix, but not well, as for producing, what is Cubase? somthing like fruity loops? or a Roland? where do you get those?

man, you do NOT want to be drunk, you dont know what, and/or WHO you're doing

A crazy homeless guy predicted my rebirth. Sometimes I wonder if he was really crazy, or if he truly was a prophet. But, then I saw the crack fall out of his pocket :/

DJDarkside
Average Member

United Kingdom
225 posts

269 hardcore releases
DJDarkside has attended 7 events
Posted - 2004/01/20 :  10:11:20  Show profile  Send a private message
I'm wanna Hopefully Learn how to produce as well as mix i've got plenty of ideas for tunes just nothing to make them with till i get broadband!

DJ Darkside
Hardcore Rules!
Go Widda Flow & Don't Stop

hooverlover

United Kingdom
321 posts
Posted - 2004/01/20 :  23:22:31  Show profile  Send a private message
FM7 VSTi has some good trance type lead sound on it.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2004/01/21 :  01:24:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
I think you'll find the Novation V-Station is alot better than the FM7 for Trance sounds, if not the best softsynth of all for Trance sounds, it's definately the best synth i've used, for everything else too :) Plus, it's alot easier to program than the FM7.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2004/01/21 01:25:03
Sparrow

United States
30 posts
Posted - 2004/01/21 :  06:48:19  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by Mr LoSTiT:
that is pretty much how i and probubly how a lot of other people feel, i pretty know how to mix, but not well, as for producing, what is Cubase? somthing like fruity loops? or a Roland? where do you get those?

man, you do NOT want to be drunk, you dont know what, and/or WHO you're doing

Cubase is multitracking software that is especially techno friendly because of the many plug ins it comes with. Another really great option that has been getting much attention lately is Propellerhead's Reason 2.5. It is basically a limitless digital music production program that is designed to look and operate like a rack mounted studio complete with rack spaces and wiring done on the back. You can import files between programs and use all of them in conjunction, just be prepared to drop some loot. FL Studio is also pretty decent for 1/2 the price, but it's not nearly as professional sounding as many of the other programs. Also look into Sonar 3 Producer edition for alot of killer plug ins, but it's XP friendly, so Mac users need not apply. Besides that, look into a nice keyboard like a Korg Triton or a Yamaha Motif ES... it's pricey, but it's worth it.

No sir, that's paper.

Reese

United States
70 posts
Reese is verified hardcore artist Reese has attended 1 event
Posted - 2004/01/22 :  13:31:10  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Reese's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tklown:
Same, I could produce Dutch Hardcore easily, there is really nothing to it.

i find it very funny when people say stuff like this..

anyway, for tracks i usually do every one differently depending on what kind of track i want it to be

i'll have a drum machine, a sampler, usually about 2-4 synths, and loads of fx running on one track

if you're just starting out, i'd recommend fruity loops to get you started.. learn your music theory and structure.. then if you decide to progress, upgrade your gear :)

------------------------
-reese-
http://www.liquidvinyldjs.com

http://www.myspace.com/djreese

Lazerath

United Kingdom
276 posts
Lazerath has attended 3 events
Posted - 2004/01/22 :  15:13:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lazerath's homepage
All you need is your sense of tunes..... do wot u feel works.... if it does then it'll be liked and you do more. if it doesn't then you go back to the beginning and try sumet else... only way to learn.

Hardcore Forever. True And Thru. Never Let It End.

tklown
Advanced Member

United States
512 posts
tklown has attended 15 events
Posted - 2004/01/22 :  19:00:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tklown's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reese:
quote:
Originally posted by tklown:
Same, I could produce Dutch Hardcore easily, there is really nothing to it.

i find it very funny when people say stuff like this..

I meant no offense, I love Dutch Hardcore as well, it's just that for me (A beginning producer) HHC is a lot harder to produce

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.39 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page