Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 Girl DJ's...advantages/disadvantages??
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Jaide

United States
306 posts
Jaide has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  09:26:10  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Jaide's homepage
Ok..this is something I've been curious about for a while. I've heard a lot of girl DJ's complaining about how it's so tough for them to get gigs all the time, because "DJin is a man's world"...and I was wondering if anyone else felt that way??...because personally i've never had a problem...granted I don't spin out much, but I've made that decision to work my way in at a slow pace for myself. I've had tons of offers to spin all over the country...so if anything i would say being a girl DJ brought me the attention needed..but having the skills is what kept me in the game...so it's kinda an advantage for me...i'm sure someone else has comments on this subject..so spit um out!!

PLUR - People.Look.Ugly.Rollin :)~
Ravers don't fall, they trip and roll

DJ AcidBunE
Founder/Promoter of I-Jam Productions
GO GO ACID BUNNIES!!!

Alert moderator
M.C Menace

United Kingdom
123 posts
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  10:15:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit M.C Menace's homepage
I like the girl DJ's they spin up all the classics like children of the night and shooting star and so on. Its also a know fact that woman are better at doing more than one thing at one time than men. I am male but i have no problems with female DJ's.

M.C Menace - were raving from 7 till 11 were ravin in a hardcore heaven

http://www.happyhardcoreppl.maketrouble.co.uk/

M.C Menace - were raving from 7 till 11 were ravin in a hardcore heaven

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  10:29:43  Show profile  Send a private message
i think woman have an advantage actually =P my gf, for example, has gotten several gigs just for being a female that spun gabber. personally, as long as they can spin, who should give a rats arse whether they are male or female?

"As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."

DjMoNkEyBoY

United States
115 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  12:02:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjMoNkEyBoY's homepage
I thinkits its cute when girls try to dj.
Personally I feel, they just don't have the rythum.
I'm not gonna stand in any girl's way of djing. but when it comes to professional djs, there will always be less than five superstars.
Besides when you consider where the music comes from, it's all about producing. Anybody know any female producers?
Alas, it is and will remain not a mans world, but a world of survival of the fittest.

Dj MoNkEyBoY
Founder of Monkeyshine Inc.

Keep it Real!

Keep it Happy!

Keep it Hardcore!

Keep it Real!

Keep it Happy!

Keep it Hardcore!

DJ Tronic

United States
84 posts
DJ Tronic is verified hardcore artist DJ Tronic has attended 7 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  12:11:10  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Tronic's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjMoNkEyBoY:
Personally I feel, they just don't have the rythum.

That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever read. It's not about being a male or female to have rhythm. It's all about feeling the music.. I know several female DJs that make male DJs just look idiotic. Might I remind you that a female DJ took 2nd place in the Happy Hardcore mix competition on this very site? And 1st place in the PEOPLE'S CHOICE competition on this site? Valerie Sparks? It's idiotic statements like the one you just make that push those female DJs harder and harder.

quote:
Besides when you consider where the music comes from, it's all about producing. Anybody know any female producers?

Valerie Sparks, DJ Collette, Sage, Anne Savage, man.. I could seriously name off about 20-25 well respected female producers.. but for the sake of not embarrassing you too much.. I won't. Females can do everything a male can do. Coming from my own perspective.. a male perspective.. I respect female DJs who can rock.

DJ Tronic
US Hard House/Hardcore
DJ/Producer/Remixer
Booking: [email protected]
http://www.liquidvinyldjs.com
http://www.mp3.com/djtronic
http://www.mp3.com/resistancerecordings

dj tronic // resistance recordings USA . liquidvinyldjs.com // san francisco, ca USA. // booking: [email protected]

Edited by - DJ Tronic on 2002/03/26 12:12:15
Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  12:19:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage
Let's not forget Dj Rap she is very good at Djing D&B and has also produced some good tunes aswell.

Sy.

Jaide

United States
306 posts
Jaide has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  12:22:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jaide's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjMoNkEyBoY:
I thinkits its cute when girls try to dj.

what's this TRY to DJ business??...not to be a bitch...but I know I have skills..i've been working my ass off at DJin ever since I set it as a goal to accomplish for myself. I spin house parties with a lot of males, and i'll be the only chick DJ there..and as soon as I hit the decks suddenly the room will be filled with people...when i've seen the DJ right before me who's MALE and has been spinning a few YEARS longer then myself clear the room. There's no trying to it. I just do what I love to do and make people happy. I'm not trying to sound cocky or bitchy...just defending myself.

PLUR - People.Look.Ugly.Rollin :)~
Ravers don't fall, they trip and roll

DJ AcidBunE
Founder/Promoter of I-Jam Productions
GO GO ACID BUNNIES!!!

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  12:34:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage
In that sentance the words "try" & "cute" did make it sound a bit sexist but I say what the hell go for it. It's probebly harder for a female dj to make it big but that doesn't mean that the males that have made it are any better than the female dj's who have'nt made it. But like someone else said these days you can't really just dj you also have to be producing. None of the top hardcore dj's just dj they've all had a go at producing sometime or other.

Sy.

Midway_raver
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,032 posts
Midway_raver has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  12:43:08  Show profile  Send a private message
IIf it sounds good dance to it:) fcuk weva its a woman or man djing it don't matta the slitest bit to me:) I av herd bad experiences from women mc's tho ( n im not beiong sexist b4 i get slated) just from my kinetic tape packs hearing a woman mcing ( it prob just this particular one) but it sounded horrid.

Like a bolt of lightning it's so frightning..Get ur brain now we're igniting

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  13:28:34  Show profile  Send a private message
nothing wrong with girl dj's...look at uk hard house,it's dominated by female dj's

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  15:06:32  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
i certainly agree with everyone here, if they rock who cares about their sex? what does dig at me though is when a female dj gets booked just cuz she's a female dj. While there are far less girl djs than guys so it is rarer to see a girl dj spinning out, i don't see why that factor plays in beyond a girl for the guys to ogle at (cuz i've yet to see a nasty female DJ) so it'll draw more money in. Silly guys thinking with the wrong head... sheesh...

"It's all good..."

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  15:21:44  Show profile  Send a private message
ise, you evidentally haven't seen shiva yet =P hehe

"As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."

DJ Pathfinder
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,676 posts

51 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  20:10:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Pathfinder's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Mouse:
nothing wrong with girl dj's...look at uk hard house,it's dominated by female dj's

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"

bad example i have not an high for the hardhouse scene

but the technice of most female djs are good but i think they spin more mainstraim then most man djs ( general).

You can't see me,because i am the future.

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/03/27 :  03:39:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
Agreed pathfinder. Hard house is not a good test of djing ability.

As for the female thing, Image is a big part of djing now unfortunately so being a girl dj is now an advantage. You'd be more likely to find it easier to get gigs as most promoters are boys too. Not that sex appeal is everything, but you're up against two boys with equal skills to you who are just as handsome/pretty then you're gonna win cause you're rarer, boy djs are a dime a dozen especially with so many of them doing it to get women to notice them

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

MC RizlaDizla
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,056 posts
MC RizlaDizla is verified hardcore artist MC RizlaDizla has attended 20 events
Posted - 2002/03/27 :  15:01:41  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit MC RizlaDizla's homepage
there you go m8. Got some wikkid choons coming out and her sets out are wikkid.

http://www.rawelements.net/crisemanic.html

as already said it dont matter who plays the choons, just as long they dj and the choons they play get ppl goin on the dancefloor. most important fing at the end of the day init

"Oh my goodness, Oh my Gosh. Here we go with a badboy rush."
"Oh my goodness gracious me, Badboy Dj, Wikkid Mc."

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/03/28 :  04:10:34  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
Personaly id be more likley to book a female DJ than a male one
due to the fact its more of a 'rarity' unfortunatly :(

there should be more... then i think girls wouldnt be so scared togoto hardcore events (as some... not all.. but a stupid few ... are)

"ENERGISE"
\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.48 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page