Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Wow! Oakenfold is a really shit DJ!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2006/11/19 :  07:40:58  Show profile Send a private message
I'm stuck in for the night, so I'm watching part of this "MySpace" live thing. Oakey is on the decks, and I am astonished at how horrible it is. There is absolutely no thought in his track selection and the mixing is almost non existant. The tempos are matched (sort of), but nothing is timed out properly. No EQ'ing at all. He's basically just fading in and out at his leisure.

This guy gets paid more in a night than many of us make in a month, and he doesn't even have basic mixing skills? I don't like trance anyway, but there has to be a million DJ's that could put together a set better than this clown.

Isn't this guy supposed to be some sort of "legend"? FFS, people are bowing to him and calling him a god!

maybe one of you trance fans can explain it to me, because I don't ****ing get it.

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2006/11/19 :  08:50:23  Show profile  Send a private message
I've been trying to understand it for a couple years myself...I gave up =P

I think when you start making lots of money from djing you're allowed to not give a crap about your mixing

Alert moderator Go to top of page
clarke101
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,839 posts

185 hardcore releases
Posted - 2006/11/19 :  08:58:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit clarke101's homepage
Ive only ever heard cds from him ive never heard him never live. The cds have always been good. Personally id rather have Jon "00" Fleming, he was fantastic when i heard him live and the club was only half full as well due to Danny Rampling playing in the same town on the same night.

Sounds to me like he couldnt be bothered which is quite risky considering how big gay space is in the states.

clarke101
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,839 posts

185 hardcore releases
Posted - 2006/11/19 :  09:01:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit clarke101's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:

I think when you start making lots of money from djing you're allowed to not give a crap about your mixing

I think it depends or where they play to some of them. The smaller gigs the less professonal of the big djs just are not bothered. I know when i saw Judge Jules many years ago he was awful even for Judge Jules.

Jax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,676 posts
Jax has donated money to the site Jax has attended 6 events
Posted - 2006/11/19 :  16:03:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jax's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by clarke101:
quote:

I think it depends or where they play to some of them. The smaller gigs the less professonal of the big djs just are not bothered. I know when i saw Judge Jules many years ago he was awful even for Judge Jules.

i seen judge jules on friday and he was shit, the warm up dj's were twice as good

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2006/11/19 :  16:11:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
I saw Jules at teh Syndicate a while back and he was shit hot! Did the geeky thing and stood at the back of the booth watching him mix heh and he was certainly working for his supper - that is if supper was being served at The Ivy!

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Posted - 2006/11/20 :  01:46:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage

Dj Doreetoh

United Kingdom
21 posts
Posted - 2006/11/25 :  11:51:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Doreetoh's homepage
lol

Chris B
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,964 posts
Chris B has attended 30 events
Posted - 2006/11/27 :  17:16:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Chris B's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Xenochrome:
This guy gets paid more in a night than many of us make in a month, and he doesn't even have basic mixing skills? I don't like trance anyway, but there has to be a million DJ's that could put together a set better than this clown.

Isn't this guy supposed to be some sort of "legend"? FFS, people are bowing to him and calling him a god!

There jus over excited trance fans mate, probs dont have a clue about mixing or much else but no oakenfolds name so therefore is a "legend" (f*ckin hate that word) to them.

The thing with why he's so popular i think is he's a very well known name over here, was about long before the whole trance thing kicked off not even sure when he started.

So anyway over that time he's became very well known and can pull in a crowd on that alone, you no yourself xeno talent only matters as far as thats concerned if you get people through the door.

I really enjoyed the trance n bass cd he done years ago infact still got it somewhere im sure, apart from that nothings really interested me and as you righly say the last couple years has just been awful.

Dunno how true it is but i've been told through constantly playin out for so many years he now has bad tinnitus and other major hearing problems, would explain the poor form hes been havin but as i said just a rumour i've heard so dunno if it's true.

quote:
maybe one of you trance fans can explain it to me, because I don't ****ing get it.

Hahahahaha was that a wee dig at people into trance been brain dead followers of names mate

You do get a lot of them but there harmless enough, just dont try and have a conversation about music with them.

I love trance myself was big into it 99-01 time, powerful stuff some of it when look amongst the shit.

Dont follow too much anymore cos more into other things but every year i go dancevalley and always enjoy chillin back and feelin the rush at trance bit for a few hours. Still some brilliant stuff coming out but aye oakenfold plays pish

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Posted - 2006/11/28 :  00:57:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Chris B:
So anyway over that time he's became very well known and can pull in a crowd on that alone, you no yourself xeno talent only matters as far as thats concerned if you get people through the door.

Very true. I have seen popular DJ's before who did not seem to put much effort into a set, but this was especially awful. Wreck after wreck after wreck...

quote:
Originally posted by Chris B:
was that a wee dig at people into trance been brain dead

I'm glad that you called me on that one. That comment was actually not intended to be a dig at all, but I can see why it would look that way. Apologies.

Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Project-Industrial has attended 24 events
Posted - 2006/11/28 :  08:24:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
quote:

i hope that you wont become a big money makin dj then :p hehe if makin big money isa reason to mix crappy then that dj should stop wot he/she's doin :)

http://www.project-industrial.com
http://www.discogs.com/label/Furious+Monkey+Records
http://www.furiousmonkeyrecords.com/

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2006/11/28 :  22:54:20  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by dj bugbear:
i hope that you wont become a big money makin dj then :p

1) I'd have to start mixing a different genre that doesn't hurt peoples ears to make money
2) I enjoy mixing too much to half ass it
3) I'm my own worst critic, it drives me nuts if I fcuk something up

clarke101
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,839 posts

185 hardcore releases
Posted - 2006/11/28 :  23:18:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit clarke101's homepage
Not all big money dj's are shit.

Jon 00 flemming roxd my soxs or did when i liked trance und house. There was a spec me a car programme on bbc a few years ago and he was on it after a replacement for his 911 :(

hyperdance
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
522 posts
Posted - 2006/11/29 :  18:04:33  Show profile  Send a private message
yea 2 be fair he is an amazing producer, but also 2 be fair he has lost it completly!!!

Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Project-Industrial has attended 24 events
Posted - 2006/11/29 :  18:30:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dj bugbear:
i hope that you wont become a big money makin dj then :p

1) I'd have to start mixing a different genre that doesn't hurt peoples ears to make money
2) I enjoy mixing too much to half ass it
3) I'm my own worst critic, it drives me nuts if I fcuk something up

wosnt a offence hehe :p jus sayin djs shouldnt be takin a piss on mixin and stuff when they make lot of money..

http://www.project-industrial.com
http://www.discogs.com/label/Furious+Monkey+Records
http://www.furiousmonkeyrecords.com/

Haku_Cordero
Starting Member

United States
1 post
Posted - 2006/12/10 :  07:06:49  Show profile  Send a private message
No clue, it makes for good background noise though... I mean, if you can barely hear it, but other then that, I don't think it serves a purpose other then to irritate people.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.94 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page