Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 PROF MUSIC PRODUCING!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
raver-boy
Starting Member

United States
1 post
Posted - 2002/06/09 :  17:14:52  Show profile Send a private message
yo heres the deal ok I have 8000 dollars ive been saving for producing equipment only external gear. Only thing is I dont know what kind of stuff to buy. what synthesizers drum machines filter banks I dont know what I need. I wish to produce hardcore. NE input helps thnx

Among the blind even the honest lie about the color of the sky........

Alert moderator
mc trev
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
736 posts
mc trev has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/06/10 :  09:46:15  Show profile  Send a private message
depends if u want to record your own stuff i dont have a clue! but if u want to record cd's then buy the philips cd recorder deck!
(record tape,cd vinyl on to cd,no pc needed!)

im a raver not a crazy drug addict!
www.helter-skelter.co.uk

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/06/10 :  11:41:01  Show profile  Send a private message
"I have 8000 dollars ive been saving for producing equipment only external gear"

As much as I love "real" gear you should really consider doing arranging and sampling on a computer. A computer is a much more versatile, easy, and cheap alternative to "real" gear. Having said that:

Do you want to do live stuff or not? This is fairly improtant.

To start with I'd suggest getting a good mixer and a good set of monitor speakers. With your budget for a mixer I'd suggest a Mackie 1402VLZ Pro for live or a Mackie 1604VLZ Pro for a studio. They are $550 and $1000 respectively and are top of the line mixers.

For monitor speakers I'd suggest either the Event 20/20 BAS speakers or the Mackie HR824 depending on how much you wanna spend. They are $700/Pair for the Events and $1250/Pair for the Mackies. Good monitors (IMHO) are very very very important.

Next comes the fun stuff, music making type gear:

A synth. Basically you have 2 options here if you want top of the line gear for less than $2000. The Access Virus B/C or the Novation SuperNova II. They are both amazing and come in keyboard/rack flavors. It's pretty much up to you on which one to choose, again they both rock. In general the Virus will make rougher sounds and the SN will make smoother sounds. So if you are making progressive type sounds I'd say get the SuperNova, but if you are making harder grungier sounds get the Virus. I own them both and I personally like the Virus, but I like crazier/harder sounds. About $1500 depending on options.

A Sampler. Again, i'd advise going to PC/Macintosh for a soft sampler I personally think they are easier and better, plus they are cheaper (if you have a computer already). But if you really just want hard gear get either an Emu Ultra or Akai S5000/Z4/or Z8. Both Emu and Akai are the top dogs of samplers and for good reason. I personally like the Akai Z4 or Z8 cause they just blow everything else away stat wise, but they haven't worked out all the bugs with them yet. Expect to spend around $1500 for a decent sampler.

Sequencer: If you don't want to use a 'puter you need a good sequencer. I'd suggest either getting a Yamaha RM1X (you can stick a ZIP drive in it) or getting a MPC4000 as a sequncer/sampler and not getting another sampler. The MPC4000 (like the Z4/Z8's) doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet, but it has the same sample engine as the Z4/Z8's and the sequencer from the Uber famous MPC2000 which is "bar none the best sequencer you can buy". The Rm1X runs about $500 and the MPC4000 with options runs about $3300 (but you save on not getting a sampler).

If you don't get a keyboard with your Synth (I wouldn't) you need a good Midi controller. You can pick up an Evolution MK-249C for $200 or get a more advanced controller with aftertouch and all that for ~$600.

K, i'm off to work again. Good luck!!! :)

EDIT: I just totaled all that and after you buy Midi cables, 1/4" cables, maybe a desk, maybe speaker stands, headphones, and all the rest of the little stuff you can pretty much consider your $8000 spent. But you will have a top notch mini-pro setup that will more than capable of putting out great tracks.

Edited by - Soren on 2002/06/10 11:45:45
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/06/10 :  14:31:33  Show profile  Send a private message
which is cheapest,the virus or supernova?

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.81 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page