Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Various mixer questions
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/08/16 :  01:57:55  Show profile Send a private message
Hi, I've got a few issues with my mixer, and a few things to consider, and I'm simply not experinced enough to know what the best thing to do is.. so let me explain:

I've got two decks and a mixer on 'extended laon' while I reaise the money and test them out. Only thing is, the mixer is a bit suspect :S When I first got it, it didn't even work. Turned out the power supply was too powerfull, and has done a fair amount of, what I'm pretty sure is merely cosmetic damage (only small amounts of damage to the capciters etc, near the power source) to it. Anyway fixed that part. Another thing I notice - the left and right channels aren't the same volume :/ it's not a *huge* diffrence, but you can see it plain as anything on the level LEDs.

Now crossfading :S The cross fader is *ahem* not in good working order. if I move it accross quickly for a fast switch, more often that not it will end up playing both the channel I've moved it to, and a crackly version of the other track, almost as loud :S as u can imagine this.. sucks ;) it also crackles a lot, and all by it's self begins playing the cued channel very quitely though the left channel only :S

Also, the levels are just plain odd. If I set both the gain at the same level, they simply aren't the same volume! I have to turn one higher than the other, and fiddle etc.. it's just generally hampering my mixing :P I'm not like a super star DJ or anything, but I'm just starting to feel that it's *really* letting me down with this kinda crap :/

The mixer is a numark DM1002X. Are all of these things fixable? Or instead should I choose not to buy it and just pick up a new on for around 100 quid from HTFR? And, are there any mixers is the 150 quid range you would reccomend?

And one final question (sorry with all the questions :)) I'm sure it's blindingly obvious which makes it all the more embarssing to ask - why do so many mixers have 3/4/5 inputs and up faders? what use is that to most DJ's? is it for clubs where there would be a lot of other stuff there in a permenat setup? or something much simpler I'm missing :S

Anyway, I'm done, thanks in advance for any help ;)

Alert moderator
Erbl

United Kingdom
99 posts
Posted - 2002/08/16 :  05:29:43  Show profile  Send a private message
right, where do i start.......
1. not all tracks are the same volume, so this could cause the slight dip in volume (but i will say not due to the state the mixer seems to be)
2. the crackling in the crossfader, and the other side playing can be fixed with another crossfader for about £20, not the biggest problem, but with that mixer you will be replacing it alot.
3. the 3/4 channel and loads of imputs is so you can set up other equipment like cd decks and have them on a seperate channel.

the mixer youve got is ok (the model) but i would send it back and get an ecler pro 20 for around £180 if you can afford it, great mixer with a fiew buttons on for extra. if not i would look at the ecler consept 2 for around £130 or maby the berhinger vmx 200. i would go for the eclers though, great mixers that will last and last, the extra price will save you money in the long run due to not having to replace the crossfader so much, over a fiew years it adds up to alot

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/08/16 :  10:48:57  Show profile  Send a private message
a good thing to try is to swap your cartridges on your decks and see if the volume changes. say if your left deck's louder than the other then you swap carts and all of a sudden the right deck's louder,then you know the mixer is not at fault.

my mixer is a gemini ps-626 proII and it's in perfect working order,apart from the crossfader's showing signs of wear. in saying that the mixer's nearly 8 months old so it will show crossfader wear after all this time.

oh,and it was £160,i'd highly recommend it

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/08/16 :  13:25:39  Show profile  Send a private message
right, thank you both for your help.. I think I am just gonna try and go for the ecler pro 20 and give the guy back his mixer ;)

also thanks for the levels advice.. I guess it depends what I get first, the mixer or the stli XD

anyway, thanks again ;)

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.75 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page