Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Goa/Psy?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
NekoShuffle has attended 17 events
Posted - 2011/04/04 :  15:50:09  Show profile Send a private message
anyone on this fair messageboard into it?

I've been into goa trance longer than I have hardcore believe it or not. Juno Reactor - Acid Moon was my first real exposure to electronic music when I decided to dive in. Since then I've been following it on and off and seen it change in a few different ways and it's always nice to catch up on it when hardcore isn't doing much for me.

What are you favorite DJs/Producers? Do you go to psy/goa parties? Do you like Morning or Night psytrance? Do you like all the dub influenced psychill stuff that's been popular lately?

Gonna paste down some videos of what I like:

Something a little darker to start with:

Something a little more goa-y

and of course:

still blows me away how trippy it is

Alert moderator
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2011/04/04 :  16:07:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I really enjoyed both of John 00 Flemmings Psy-trance euphoria's but other than that i dont know too much about the genre!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2011/04/04 :  16:24:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
I really enjoyed both of John 00 Flemmings Psy-trance euphoria's but other than that i dont know too much about the genre!

Yeah psytrance hasn't gone into the mainstream much at all, most of the albums that have draw more elements from commercial trance like heavily featuring a lot of strings and stuff. Oforia has gone like that a lot.

But yeah, it's definitely a hard genre to get into if you're not already interested in it, I guess it's so radio-unfriendly for the most part that it just alienates a lot of people. It's hard to find in clubs too, you have to venture out to woods parties if you want to hear it most of the time.

The main trend in psytrance for the past 10 years or so has been "full-on" which is really pumping, throbbing psytrance at about 5bpm faster than the original goa stuff.

http://vandjs.com/glassball/downloads.html

this is what psytrance sounds like nowadays. I quite like it but sometimes I prefer to go back to the old goa stuff. It wasn't as danceable back then but it was a lot more trippy. There is also ANOTHER trend in psytrance which is like 'psycore' kind of psytrance which is about 10 times heavier and 10 times faster than psytrance, personally it's a bit much for me and I don't get much enjoyment from it.

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2011/04/04 :  18:40:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
I like Psy! Especially freeform that is psy-inspired, like most of Ephexis and Lost Soul! <3

My SOUNDCLOUD

DJ Lawlzy
Advanced Member

Canada
520 posts
DJ Lawlzy has attended 3 events
Posted - 2011/04/04 :  18:59:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Lawlzy's homepage
I read the title as Goat-Psy

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2011/04/04 :  19:52:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Hahahaha!

My SOUNDCLOUD

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/04/04 :  21:20:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
YEAH! This kind of Trance was strong in my area in the middle of the 90's. Back then the term "Sound of Frankfurt" was used quite often. It passed away by end of 90's due the main record label went bankrupt (Eye Q Records).
I almost enjoyed every track, that has been posted in this thread.

They do have Goa-/Psytrance raves here in Germany, but

1) they are far away from my home town (in Northern Germany or Eastern Germany).

2) Massive police presence (I mean, I am not into any kind of illegal activities, but you can get registered into police owned "special lists" very easily, simply by visting such events)!

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2011/04/05 :  00:35:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Lawlzy:
I read the title as Goat-Psy

Goa-Psy, Goat-Psy, Goatse...it's all the same :P

Quicksilver: Heard Skazi but I did like that Nomad track, very nice! What are goa/psy parties like over there?

Warnman: Yeah even aside from how heavy handed the german government can be psytrance is a very crazy scene. Normally very lovely people who would never cause you any trouble but there's normally more psychedelic drugs flying around than woodstock lol so I'm not surprised the police have their eyes on them. Japan has some great psychedelic festivals far far away from Tokyo and the major cities, they're strictly in the foresty wilderness and there's a massive scene for it over there. I'd love to travel to israel, goa and Japan and go to all kinds of crazy Psy-parties :D

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2011/04/05 :  00:42:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
From a DJing perspective what I really like about Full-On psytrance is that you can do a lot of stuff like cuts and even scratching if you're brave enough. It makes a really nice change from goa and other types of trance which is just blend, blend, blend.

Being able to be nice and snappy with the upfaders and crossfaders and keep people on their toes PLUS being able to really trance them out and send people into another dimension...it's like a DJ's dream

ultraskool
Advanced Member

Australia
669 posts
ultraskool has attended 50 events
Posted - 2011/04/05 :  10:29:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ultraskool's homepage
Yeah I love this stuff, If Happyhard didn't exist, This would be my favourite genre. Period. Ever since I listened to Underground Radio station 2SER sydney and FBI also started out playing these awesome underground techno/trance tracks that were known as 'Psychedelica' That sound is just mind-blowing stuff - way better than the commercial trance music you hear nowadays. I remember most of this stuff was played late at nights but it's just as good listening to it in th mornings. Psytrance and Goa Trance is a bit of a niche scene but it's just an excelent music choice. Also I bought FLying Rhino Records CD Re:Evolution. bought it in my country for under 50c

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2011/04/05 :  11:20:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
I don't know about parties over here, doubt there's a scene for this in Sweden. :)

My SOUNDCLOUD

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Posted - 2011/04/05 :  23:01:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
I am not very sure, if you can call the following tracks Psytrance, but I think at least they come very close to it (mostly lack of speed tmo ):

1) Faithless - We Come One (Pierre Hiver & M. Hammer Remix)

2) Gypsy - I Trance You (Pappa & Gilbey Remix)

3) Push - Tranzy State Of Mind

ultraskool
Advanced Member

Australia
669 posts
ultraskool has attended 50 events
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  09:27:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ultraskool's homepage
Hey I didn't know Faithless did Psy/Goa Trance do they? I thought they were more Deep Ambient House sort of thing...

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  13:53:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Goa dosn't get better than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-tFAt68bw

When Goa/Psy are good they are really incredibly good (to me), but that's not all that often. For every good tune there is a lot of generic ones and especially these days while listenable it does seem to sound the same most of the time from what I've heard. Stuff from Infected Mushroom is the best kind of Psy for me (Tasty Mushroom, Never Never Land etc, stuff from that period). This is one of my favourite Psy tunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myO0OoyYkQ, again heavy on the melody which is what i like most.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2011/04/06 13:57:49
Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  22:01:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ultraskool:
Hey I didn't know Faithless did Psy/Goa Trance do they? I thought they were more Deep Ambient House sort of thing...

Well, actually they havn't! It's a remix and like I said, I don't know if it is Psytrance, although it sounds psychedelic to me. I am looking at NekoShuffle and others here about this. If so it certainly is not able to match with the other posted stuff. I mean listen to "Astral Projection - Liquid Sun": it's insane!

Someone else informed me about following song yesterday. Fell in love immediately!

Clannad - Shoujo No Gensou (ZTS Remix)

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  22:55:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Goa dosn't get better than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-tFAt68bw

Awesome track you posted, dude!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.67 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page