Total online 2188
 Radio listeners 156+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 To the producers out there. How do you structure?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Nemesis

United Kingdom
45 posts
Posted - 2002/12/05 :  07:31:53  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Nemesis's homepage
Hello all.
Just wondering how other producers structure their songs. I started off making some trance but as hardcore is my first love(well except that girl at school) i'v decided to try my hand at some. I'v been listening to hardcore since, well the beginning or thereabouts and i'v noticed that while alot of things are similar to trance, techno etc, hardcore is much harder to produce. There is a certain something that seperates it from other dance genres, other than the speed
It's that something that i'm looking for. I'v already made some good tunes(in my opinion) but wondering what to add to them is half the trouble.
So any tips, advice, words of wisdom etc?
So all you producers, how do you start, how do you structure your tunes.
And remember you won't just be helping me but probably alot of people(if anyone replies)

Take it easy all.

You got whacked cuz your weak!

Alert moderator

Edited by - Nemesis on 2002/12/05 07:33:40
mcjutt
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
564 posts
mcjutt has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/12/05 :  08:18:58  Show profile  Send a private message
add an effect to everything apart from the kick drum this helps the sound, so if u put reverb on the claps, and the drum rolls it makes a better sound, which is very good for the build up i might add, also on the actual main bit of the breakdown put a tad bit of delay on the chorus of your track, or even as wierd as it sounds there is a effect called chorus, which makes it sound like theres two choruses going at the same time, with the reverb dont put too much on unless its a voice otherwise this can make the claps sound quite messy and piercing to the ears, nex for build ups there will be a thing called lfo if u can put the lfo on the track with songs chorus in, just keep wining up the lfo or even slightly turn it up and this will get a rise effect, eg taking u higher and higher and this will get the crowd realy buzzing,

well ive said my bit and gave u some of my knowledge all i can say i hope it helps mate, all u have to do is just play around with effects and u will get good sounds. if ur still stuck private message me and ill see if i can help.

get with my lyrics il make u sweat
im a bad boy mc youll never forget
the quickest mc u evr met
all my competion get set for a rough ride u cant even touch my vibe where all the raving crew tonight

Alert moderator Go to top of page
StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/12/05 :  09:16:08  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
gargh
trance is so easy
you just need a good melody
then make it into a 13 minute long build up.
simple as!

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

djmonoxide

United States
128 posts
Posted - 2002/12/05 :  12:33:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djmonoxide's homepage
You need a good bassline and good lyrics. Throw in some breaks if you can't make a good melody. :) If you don't use any lyrics a melody is important.

I used to be a raver, used to take lots of E. Now I just smoke weed, and you know I will Succeed. :)

Nemesis

United Kingdom
45 posts
Posted - 2002/12/06 :  04:53:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Nemesis's homepage
Robbie Jay, you are so right about trance being easy. I basically used trance as a building block if you will.

Cheers for tips so far, i have a question about breaks.
I have quite a few break samples, but, trying to get them to fit together is a nightmare. I'm using fruityloops just now, i import the break wav make it as long as it is in piano roll, but it's always at an odd length, ie it doesn't sound natural when it get's to the end and begins the next part.
I hope someone knows what i'm talking about.
Actually now that i think about it, the tempo is off, does anyone know how to adjust tempo's in fruity or do i need something like acid?
Oh and, is the tempo of the break best kept the same as the rest of the track?

http://www.soundclick.com/onslaughtmusic.htm

Edited by - Nemesis on 2002/12/06 04:56:39
Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/12/06 :  07:04:35  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
i find sequencing fekking hard
you have to turn away from the screen, and just listen as if you were playing/dancing to the tune, what do you want to happen next.. is what should happen next..
its really hard :D

(900th post.. wohodiddlydoobedoodar)

CAM001 Out FEB2003
Distribution Through Nu Energy
www.camelrecords.co.uk

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Edited by - Oli G on 2002/12/06 07:06:54
Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/12/06 :  12:01:30  Show profile  Send a private message
Nemesis:

sounds like your break loops arent seamless. Which means there's an extra beat or so tagged on the end of the breakbeat that makes it loop out of time. I suggest looking up a few tutorials on looped samples, i'd give ya an explanation here but it would be a few screens long, if you wish i can.

Also play around with a beat slicing program like recycle... they are very handy.. you can grab a breakloop and fekk with it and then change its tempo etc.. you'll need to make the loop seamless as i said above for this aswell.

I also agree with Oli, when structuring a song, you have to listen to it as a raver, not a producer. Another way of doing it if you're stuck is stop working on the song, go onto something else, watch tv.. walk the dog(?).. then come back and listen a few hours later, prefferably not looking at the screen.. maybe even turn off the lights and the computer screen? (i've done that a few times before)

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

Nemesis

United Kingdom
45 posts
Posted - 2002/12/06 :  14:06:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Nemesis's homepage
Lusive, could you give me an explanation, or if you prefer, could you pm me it?
I'll need to investigate recycle.

http://www.soundclick.com/onslaughtmusic.htm

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.2 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page