Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 How does online collaboration work?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  00:39:41  Show profile Send a private message
I've been wondering about this for a while now because I'd like to find someone to do a collab with at some point (it's not the point of this topic at all but I use FL if anyone's interested).

How does collaborating with people over the internet usually work? How do you personally do it?

Do you generally work in tandem communicating via IM or whatever or is it more "you add a bit, I add a bit, this is either gonna turn out great or mercilessly shit" -- or something in the middle?

Cheers for any insight!

Alert moderator
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  00:47:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:

Do you generally work in tandem communicating via IM or whatever or is it more "you add a bit, I add a bit, this is either gonna turn out great or mercilessly shit" -- or something in the middle?

Pretty much. I've not collabed in over a year now, but whenever I did, I used to just grab the project by the horns and do it all xD I was a terrible partner :P

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  03:18:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
I've done my fair share of them, and they actually work out pretty well.
You generally just add whatever you feel like, and mess around with what the other person just did. Its sort of a pass off where you both keep ****ing with it until you reach a happy compromise :)

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  15:19:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
When I and Anthony did Ocean Breeze we'd pass the ball, sorta. We took turns, and zipped the project and sent it when the sessions were over. Sometimes he'd also livestream and we'd work on it live.

My SOUNDCLOUD

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/08/14 :  00:34:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
Okay, thanks, guys.

If you're passing it back and forth like that, how does it generally start? Surely you need some kind of shared vision and idea of where the track is going?

maddkid53

United States
90 posts
maddkid53 has attended 2 events
Posted - 2013/10/24 :  07:20:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit maddkid53's homepage
Oh hey, I just posted a topic about wanting to collab with someone. Then I saw this post.

I also use FL, and would love to collab on a track. I'll shoot you a message!

Karthy

United Kingdom
337 posts
Posted - 2013/10/28 :  02:29:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Karthy's homepage
Never done it myself for that one reason! It seems like it could be very disastrous, too many things could go wrong. You'd also both need all the same VST's, which can limit either person. I do like the livestreaming idea, possibly have a guy with great ideas watch the stream, giving his ideas and the better engineer streaming it to do the technical parts, definately makes sense!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.02 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page