Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 bass movement???
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Pure Mad Mental oriental raver
Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  21:44:04  Show profile Send a private message
I'm experiencing confusion while trying to figure out how you obtain a moving bass sound that can be heard on many Hardcore tracks. I have tried experimenting with the filter and amp envelopes and LFO's (I thought the trick was within the LFO originally) but it didn't turn out to be successful in the slightest. If anyone could give me an answer or even some advice it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Alert moderator
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  09:36:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
Are you sure it isn't a Pitched Bass? Or you could be talking about a Reverse Bass I guess? Do you have an example from a particular track?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  10:13:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
You'll need to post an example as without a technical explanation people will interpret 'moving bass' differently.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/12/20 10:13:42
Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  10:36:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pure Mad Mental oriental raver's homepage
well I was searching through dj gammer's youtube channel and came across a video "How to make a UK Hardcore chart topper - Template included". At roughly 40 seconds in he mentions that he "pre programmed the bass movement" and shows an example. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hscfvml3lCk

Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  10:38:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pure Mad Mental oriental raver's homepage
oh.. I'm using reason as a daw if it makes a difference

Torpex
Advanced Member

Poland
824 posts
Torpex has attended 5 events
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  10:39:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Torpex's homepage
1. You do realize this thing is a joke, right?
2. "Bass movements" there just refers to the progression.

Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  12:33:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pure Mad Mental oriental raver's homepage
hahaha don't I feel stupid now. Well how would you get a bass like that if you know or is that too much to ask. Thanks.

Torpex
Advanced Member

Poland
824 posts
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  13:04:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Torpex's homepage
I'm really not sure what you mean. Are you asking how to make the bass change notes? If so, it's done in a piano roll, just like you'd program any other melody.

Because the sound itself is as generic as it gets - check bass presets in pretty much any synth. :)

Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  13:32:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pure Mad Mental oriental raver's homepage
hahaha I mean how to get his bass sound and reason doesn't have anything close but its cool so thanks for the help :)

Torpex
Advanced Member

Poland
824 posts
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  13:53:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Torpex's homepage
Right, well, it's a pretty basic bass sound. I haven't touched Reason in ages, but aren't there presets too? Other than that, bass samples from Vengeance (usually VEC) are a pretty sweet starting point. :)

versia
Average Member

Australia
180 posts
Posted - 2013/12/20 :  14:40:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit versia's homepage
I use reason -

For most of my basses I use two malstroms and one thor. One malstrom only has sine waves to fill in the absolute lower ends, the other malstrom I use a mixture of single square and/saw waves to give the sound a grittier edge. The thor I just mess around with to see what sounds I can layer on top of it. I use wavetables most of the time.

With the malstroms, just play around with the lfos at the top of the synth. Make sure to turn 'sync' and 'one shot' on. If you want to filter, don't use the in-synth one, use the other sepeate one you can get from the menu. It will give you a better filtering sound and you can recreate side-chaining well if you automate it.

Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/22 :  15:07:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pure Mad Mental oriental raver's homepage
thank you for the help it means a lot and it was very useful hearing from someone who also knows reason, and I will check out the vengeance samples to. Thank you.

Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/22 :  18:49:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pure Mad Mental oriental raver's homepage
One more question if anyone see's this. When I put my kick lead and bass together my lead will always eat up my bass, not completely though, I know that it should be able to be fixed using and EQ, for each device but you need the high end for your lead and bass but not a much I would imagine. is there any way I can get my bass to pierce through whilst still having a powerful lead.

I am sorry if anything I am saying sounds rather basic or stupid, I have only been using DAW's for around 6 months now with no previous musical experience.

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2013/12/22 :  19:54:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pure Mad Mental oriental raver:
One more question if anyone see's this. When I put my kick lead and bass together my lead will always eat up my bass, not completely though, I know that it should be able to be fixed using and EQ, for each device but you need the high end for your lead and bass but not a much I would imagine. is there any way I can get my bass to pierce through whilst still having a powerful lead.

There are a few of ways around this:

1. cut out the bass (I ususally cut around 150 Hz or below) on every instrument except the kick and bass. even tracks that dont have much bass, like open hats for exmpl, should be cut as well just to make sure any subsonic noises are dealt with.

2. Do the same as above, but instead of cutting low frequencies cut out the top frequencies of the kick and the bass. Try honing in on the frequency by reducing just a tad below the point where you can hear the eq actually changing the sound.

3.Compress. if you let enough of the attack through a compressor and adjust a relatively quick release you can bring out the transients or snappiness a bit more than would normally be heard.

...Experiment! :)

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Starting Member

United Kingdom
17 posts
Posted - 2013/12/22 :  23:48:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pure Mad Mental oriental raver's homepage
thank you for the help. I tried that out and it was of good use, and I subscribed to your YouTube channel :)

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2013/12/23 :  00:12:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
if you let enough of the attack through a compressor and adjust a relatively quick release you can bring out the transients or snappiness a bit more than would normally be heard.

Good bit of beginners advice, that.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.61 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page