Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Mixing already mixed tracks?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Icewind

Canada
116 posts
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  13:45:28  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Icewind's homepage
Does anyone do this? I spin with two turntables, and lately have been thinking of buying a cdj to add to my set up. However I just realized a lot of my cd's are already mixed. I've been thinking of getting fracus and darwins point of no return as well, and I believe that is a mixed album as well...

Alert moderator
The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  15:46:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
It can be done in some cases, just depends how the cd is mixed and split into seperate tracks. Of course you'd also need to mix out of them which presents another problem. I'd never advise trying to do it in front of an audience or when recording a mix as the chances are it will go pear shaped.
It really depends what tunes your into, some labels get their tunes out really quick so you can download full unmixed versions and mix them no problem. Other labels not so quick.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  16:08:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
it's usually frowned upon, since the tracks where made for just that album (Artists might see this as more illegal than making a mix without permission).

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  18:55:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I'd never do it, want to mix tunes on my own terms and not just work with half a track.

Point of no return is unmixed by the way.

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  18:58:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Point of No Return is unmixed, most of it anyway, but the mastering is more for home-use rather than playing out but I guess if you don't really care about that just go for it. Compare the free full-length Music Blocks to the CD version to hear what I mean.

My SOUNDCLOUD

Icewind

Canada
116 posts
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  20:07:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Icewind's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
it's usually frowned upon, since the tracks where made for just that album (Artists might see this as more illegal than making a mix without permission).

I don't see why that should be, especially if I bought the album that the track is on. I'm very glad to hear that Point Of No Return is unmixed.

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  20:24:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Icewind:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:

I don't see why that should be, especially if I bought the album that the track is on. I'm very glad to hear that Point Of No Return is unmixed.

I'm sure I heard the radio edit of concrete angel get played in the main room at HTID in the sun last year, can't remember who by. It was available on the downloadable version of CLXH 9 and was before the unmixed version was released. So I'm guessing that nobody really cares.

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/01/06 :  05:31:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage
i used to mix already mixed tracks when i first got into djing sounded like shit and the tracks never lasted very long also don't see how it could be illegal lol i say do it and don't give a damn what anyone says it's not as if you can get jailed for mixing an already mixed track anyway

silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2014/01/06 :  05:59:33  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Artists sometimes don't like DJ's mixing albums singles because they want to keep it exclusive to the album (or themselves perhaps), I even remember a big name producer at an event stopping a DJ playing a mixed CD years and years ago by ejecting the CD and smashing it in front of him.

But seriously you're a DJ, mix whatever you want how ever you want, I used to know a few DJ's (well known) that would make their own intro's and outro's to tracks from mixed CD's so they could mix them.

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/01/06 :  08:57:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
I used to know a few DJ's (well known) that would make their own intro's and outro's to tracks from mixed CD's so they could mix them.

i done that with a a remix of toytown just so i could have the vocal version from bonkers 1 in a mix just cut the intro of the remix and it turned out well

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/01/09 :  02:51:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
I've done it before and I'm completely unapologetic about having done it. Don't want me to mix it? Don't release it in a form where I can mix it. That isn't to say that I won't buy the full version when it comes out - of course I will - but if I can mix it before then, I will.

Anyway, most of the time it'll sound awful if you just try to bring it in end-to-end with a smooth transition. You've got to get creative in order to get it to sound good. Your reward for mixing it in skillfully is getting to play unreleased tracks in your mixes.

Edited by - Elliott on 2014/01/09 02:53:17

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.31 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page