Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 Faroe Islands
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2014/07/16 :  20:43:44  Show profile Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

Sup. I want to go to the Faroe Islands for a holiday. I've had a quick look and it seems it might be a bit tricky to get there (especially at the time of year I want to go - October/November).

It looks like it has to be a combination of flights and then ferries (for example, fly to Denmark and then a two day ferry). It's also looking fcuking expensive.

Do any of you guys from the Nordic countries have any experience with it?

Alert moderator
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/07/16 :  21:02:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
why would you want to visit the Nordic area during that time? Won't it be covered in snow, or at the very least miserably cold???

Alert moderator Go to top of page
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
Posted - 2014/07/16 :  21:06:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

It's my birthday and I'll go where I want thank you.

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2014/07/16 :  21:55:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
Id rather go omewhere cold than hot anyday

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/07/16 :  22:10:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
Id rather go omewhere cold than hot anyday

It all depends on what I'm going for really. I'd obviously want it to be warm if I'm on a beach vacation. Exploring a city, extreme heat or cold definitely not. Mild spring or fall weather would be nice. So long as the humidity is not dreadful then I'm normally good.

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2014/07/17 :  01:11:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage
Wiki shows flights:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Map_of_faroe_islands_in_europe,_flights_and_ferries.png

Use a site like hipmunk.com, as it does much deeper searches then sites like flightcentre

Edited by - DarrenJ on 2014/07/17 01:15:06
whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2014/07/17 :  11:41:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
I would love to make a Nordic tour some day (only been to Sweden and Denmark so far). Personally would go with Smyril Lines:
http://www.smyrilline.com/

Edited by - whispering on 2014/07/17 11:44:46
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/07/17 :  14:16:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
There's rarely snow in Nordic countries (based on percentage of the country mind you) during that timeperiod. And considering that those islands are still in the gulf stream (which is where we usually get your warm from), even less, but then I have never been to the Faroe's

Jay, time to start learning ol' viking tongue ;)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/07/17 :  14:20:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenJ:
Wiki shows flights:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Map_of_faroe_islands_in_europe,_flights_and_ferries.png

Use a site like hipmunk.com, as it does much deeper searches then sites like flightcentre

Never trust wiki for up to date things mate. Either those rutes are sessional, or they dont exist anymore

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2014/07/17 :  14:36:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I don't do much travelling but when i manage to pull my finger out and do something it'll be something like this

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
Posted - 2014/07/18 :  07:06:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
I would love to make a Nordic tour some day (only been to Sweden and Denmark so far). Personally would go with Smyril Lines:
http://www.smyrilline.com/

I actually did a fake booking with them (up to the point of actually paying) before I made this thread. I did, admittedly, select one of the highest grades of cabin - but it was brutally expensive. 890 EUR return for two people. Still need to factor in actually getting to Denmark in the first place (to catch the ferry) and obviously the time spent on the islands. Easily looking at 2k for a week. Urgh.

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
Posted - 2014/07/18 :  08:05:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
I actually did a fake booking with them (up to the point of actually paying) before I made this thread. I did, admittedly, select one of the highest grades of cabin - but it was brutally expensive. 890 EUR return for two people. Still need to factor in actually getting to Denmark in the first place (to catch the ferry) and obviously the time spent on the islands. Easily looking at 2k for a week. Urgh.

Without a car, a Cabin with 2 bunk berths with window, in low season, is 176e (x2 = 352e per person). I dont think its that expensive. You could try getting to Denmark with a train or by car.

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
Posted - 2014/07/18 :  08:11:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

I did mine based on a luxury double or something. But your example is still 700 EUR. I'll have a more thorough look over the weekend.

Failing the Faroe Islands - what other (relatively) accessible places are their in Norway, Sweden, Finland etc that offer areas of outrageous natural beauty? Big landscapes and fjords - that kind of thing.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2014/07/18 :  09:39:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
If you're looking for outstanding natural beauty Jay just come and see me, lot cheaper than 2 grand ;-)

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
Posted - 2014/07/18 :  09:59:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
If you're looking for outstanding natural beauty Jay just come and see me, lot cheaper than 2 grand ;-)

I think its only so many times you can visit the same place before it loses it charm ;)

quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:

I did mine based on a luxury double or something. But your example is still 700 EUR. I'll have a more thorough look over the weekend.

Failing the Faroe Islands - what other (relatively) accessible places are their in Norway, Sweden, Finland etc that offer areas of outrageous natural beauty? Big landscapes and fjords - that kind of thing.

Definitely Norway then. Finland and Sweden are rather flat, though Lapland is really nice in winter. People (from here) go for Denmark usually for a bicycle tour or for the architecture. Iceland should be really nice too for the nature aspect.

Edited by - whispering on 2014/07/18 10:00:56
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
Posted - 2014/07/18 :  11:50:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
Definitely Norway then. Finland and Sweden are rather flat, though Lapland is really nice in winter. People (from here) go for Denmark usually for a bicycle tour or for the architecture. Iceland should be really nice too for the nature aspect.

Nice, nice. I'm being really fcuking lazy here - but does Norway have a number of major airports outside of Oslo? Actually, what's Oslo like? And is it within distance of mental physical landscapes?

quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:

You're an absolute SexPest. You're now like Jack Dee crossed with Ashley Cole.

Edited by - _Jay_ on 2014/07/18 11:52:08

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.52 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page