Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 New to the genre. Need criticism.
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
TugBoat
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2014/09/28 :  07:22:56  Show profile Send a private message  Visit TugBoat's homepage
Hi guys!

So I recently stumbled upon happy hardcore while playing rhythm games. I instantly fell in love with it. I have been making electronic music for quite some time now, so I thought I would try to make a track. I'd love to know what you guys think about it! Thanks in advance.

Alert moderator
brodster

United States
99 posts
Posted - 2014/09/28 :  08:08:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit brodster's homepage
One important thing in this genre is the kick drum, I can't really hear a kick drum in your track. Make the kick drum louder and sidechain all your elements to it.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - brodster on 2014/09/28 08:10:08
TugBoat
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2014/09/28 :  08:16:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TugBoat's homepage
Ty ill up the levels. Sidechainings a good idea also didint think of that.

Ps I love Baccano!

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/09/28 :  10:39:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
Idk man. It's like there's too many elements struggling for my attention. I can't focus on any particular part of the track. You need to play around with the levels to emphasise some parts more than others.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/09/28 :  12:09:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TugBoat:
Ty ill up the levels. Sidechainings a good idea also didint think of that.

Ps I love Baccano!

But to side chain everything is a terrible idea. In fact it's a terrible idea in general if it's used in a corrective capacity. The kick should be fine as it is.

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2014/09/29 :  00:28:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
You need to get a good kick sample! Nakura has some free Samples that are a good starting point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORU6g3IOWPo
You can tweak them a little(!) with EQ but unless you exactly know what you are doing do not use effects on the kick.

Then you need a good bass synth. Kick, snare, hi-hat and bass make the grove and should work well together. The bass in HC is strictly an the off-beat. Make the Bass wide in the stereo field and use a simple sine wave as sub-bass that should be mono/in the center.

Sidechain everything that takes a lot of space in the spectrum to the kick and duck it a little with compression with short attack and release times. If done right it should not really be noticeable.

TugBoat
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2014/09/29 :  02:33:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TugBoat's homepage
Thanks so much. Those kick samples are great. Gonna try another track tonight with this advice.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/09/29 :  12:30:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Thanks so much. Those kick samples are great. Gonna try another track tonight with this advice.

Be sure to post it here :)

TugBoat
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2014/09/30 :  21:50:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TugBoat's homepage
Heres my second track..

I spent a lot more time on this one. My mixes are gonna continue to be iffy until I can get some proper monitors..

skankineddie666

United States
98 posts
Posted - 2014/09/30 :  22:30:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit skankineddie666's homepage
HAHAH i think they are awesome!!!!! Your tracks make me feel like I'm stranded in Candy Land that's inhibited with 8 Bit Japanese anime girls!!!

You mention that you are new to the genre but could you clarify like what artist you enjoy?? Because this will give us an idea of what kinda of sound you are trying to capture. Obviously i could be wrong I'm not a producer 8)

TugBoat
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2014/09/30 :  23:07:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TugBoat's homepage
Glad you like it. :D

I really like P* Light and Ryu. Those are the only two im familiar with right now...

Edited by - TugBoat on 2014/09/30 23:34:32
skankineddie666

United States
98 posts
Posted - 2014/10/01 :  00:16:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit skankineddie666's homepage
quote:
Glad you like it. :D

I really like P* Light and Ryu. Those are the only two im familiar with right now...

I'm glad I asked. Technically speaking (as far as I am aware) those two producers you mention are from Japan and produce J-CORE (Japanese Hardcore)

If you really wanna produce music that has similarities with those artist then I suggest developing a good ear so you can try and mimic their sound.

Check out DJ Shimamura, DJ Noriken and REDaLICE they are fantastic Jcore producers. Also worth mentioning HARDCORE TANO*C is a jcore label which has tons of music worth checking out.

TugBoat
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2014/10/01 :  00:37:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TugBoat's homepage
Yes they are from Japan. I will check out those others. Thanks for suggesting some! I do like the "J-CORE" style but I don't want to completely copy someone ya know... But yes there are elements I will most likely incorporate.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/10/01 :  10:48:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Heres my second track..

I spent a lot more time on this one. My mixes are gonna continue to be iffy until I can get some proper monitors..

Monitors are overrated, there aren't speakers out there that could make me mix well!

Anyway, there's something quite charming about this track. Now I know what you're going for, I can say that this is actually pretty good.

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2014/10/01 :  23:40:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
Your second track sounds like something that could be played in a japanese TV commercial. Your overall production sound much better. But if you wanna produce something for a club where people are supposed to dance to you need to work on your kick and bass - and especially how they interact. Adding a sub bass would be a good start. If you don't want to do that you need the bass strictly on the off beat.

Noriken and Shimamura have already been suggested, but i will second that. Shimamura does a lot of this cheesy j-core stuff but his production is a lot influenced by the UK Hardcore (and jungle/drum&bass) sound and spot on. Even if you want it a little softer (or don't like staccato pianos ) it's worth listening just for learning.
Makina (another hardcore sub genre) could also be something for you.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.48 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page