Total online 1671
 Radio listeners 180+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Why did southern U.K. never embrace Gabber music?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
EnglishGabberHead
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 posts
Posted - 2015/01/08 :  16:56:25  Show profile Send a private message
Hello all.
When gabber was at it's peak in the mid 90's why do you think whilst there was big a Gabber following in Scotland and to a lesser extent northern England,why was it that it was always a more breakbeat driven scene in the south of england,any thoughts please contribute.
Cheers (:))

Alert moderator
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,084 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/01/08 :  17:46:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Possibly because Bouncy Techno was so related to Gabber it worked, while the more Jungle driven southerners didnt like it.

Being a swede, where Gabber has had a greater foothold than brittish Hardcore (alteast based on raves and album releases), I prefer the Rotterdam Hardcore over Gabber

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Samination on 2015/01/08 17:47:51
EnglishGabberHead
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 posts
Posted - 2015/01/08 :  17:53:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EnglishGabberHead's homepage
Thank you for your imput , i too love Rotterdam hardcore a very unique style although could be classed as gabber alot of the later stuff anyway.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/01/08 :  18:21:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Possibly because Bouncy Techno was so related to Gabber it worked, while the more Jungle driven southerners didnt like it

That hasn't answered his question though. Mostly just rephrased what he said. That southerners don't like Dutch Hardcore or Dutch influenced Hardcore as much. Bouncy Techno was the same as Dutch Hardcore in that respect. As for why, i couldn't say. It's pretty odd when you think about it. Possibly just cultural differences.

EnglishGabberHead
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 posts
Posted - 2015/01/08 :  20:09:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EnglishGabberHead's homepage
Bouncy techno and the happier varients of Gabber seem almost identical in my opinion not quite the same but near enough.

ferocious

United Kingdom
73 posts
Posted - 2015/01/08 :  20:28:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ferocious's homepage
Cultural differences. Also the drugs of choice. This is mentioned in Simon Reynolds book "Energy Flash: A Journey Through Rave Music and Dance Culture", which you should try and read.

You could say the same regarding jungle and Scotland. Well known it was not popular with ravers there and promoters stopped hiring English DJs who spun that music.

In fact 'smart' jungle DJs like Jumping Jack Frost and Grooverider would play Scottish style sets. They knew jungle would have went down like a lead balloon.

Scottish scene used imports alongside their own.

English scene was all internal DJs, all internal music.

(I'm not about north England, which had a big house/club scene or sometimes was like Scotland even further north. I'm on about the main raves in England like Dreamscape and Helter Skelter.)

Similarly Scotland is more pro-EU, whereas England wants out and the further south you go the stronger it is.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,084 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/01/08 :  21:18:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ferocious:

Similarly Scotland is more pro-EU, whereas England wants out and the further south you go the stronger it is.

So English are like they usually are? :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

EnglishGabberHead
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 posts
Posted - 2015/01/10 :  17:36:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EnglishGabberHead's homepage
Plenty of imported music was played down here mainly dutch happy hardcore,the tunes spun certainly were all not of english origin.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2015/01/10 :  21:17:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Vibes played a lot of foreign stuff.

Ravemark

Australia
24 posts
Posted - 2015/01/10 :  21:48:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ravemark's homepage
I am guessing it was because they had so many of their own producers making the happier sound at the time.

I know of a few Australian gabber DJ Producers that toured parts of the Southern UK.

The Immortalz from Sydney (aka 911 &Tymez II) UK tour.

Edited by - Ravemark on 2015/01/10 22:33:39
DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2015/01/10 :  22:12:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage
Cos their southern fairies......
I joke, seemed odd to me that the hardcore got harder the further north you went, I'm from manchester and round here it was all about club kinetic, stu allan, scott brown, key 103, lots of Dutch and Scottish stuff (which I love).
But having said that Southern DJ's like Hixxy and Vibes also played bouncy stuff, I guess there were just more happy hardcore/ breakbeat DJ's down South so that is the sound that is associated with the south.

EnglishGabberHead
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 posts
Posted - 2015/01/11 :  18:04:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EnglishGabberHead's homepage
Brisk and Druid would knock out some of the harder stuff when playing down south sometimes.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2015/01/11 :  19:33:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Yeah that's a point. Brisk used to play Bouncy Techno and Dutch stuff all the time.

EnglishGabberHead
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 posts
Posted - 2015/01/12 :  12:59:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EnglishGabberHead's homepage
Never got my head around the terrible happy being knocked out in the late 90's,Force and styles Heart of Gold type stuff is practically pop,granted in into gabber not so much happy but in can still appreciate decent dutch happy hardcore.Shit like Ultrabeat and other similiar artists barely register as rave music to be ,how they can be called Hardcore is beyond me.

Brisk was quality tho.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2015/01/12 :  13:07:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
F&S stuff was what i got into Hardcore for. They are essentially different genres though so doesn't make much sense to compare them.

EnglishGabberHead
Starting Member

United Kingdom
18 posts
Posted - 2015/01/12 :  17:46:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EnglishGabberHead's homepage
Did you progress to the harder stuff via F&S,if so then i guess they ain t too bad lol.To be fair they did to a track called apollo13? i think which was very different to their usual cheddar.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.28 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page