Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 My summary of 2014
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/01/10 :  23:14:10  Show profile Send a private message
This last year has been a wave of positivity for me. Despite some of the dreadful stuff that is going on (Futureworld/politics etc) I think it's been a brilliant year musically with a lot of variety and tastes catered for. I think in the main, music has been pretty easy to get hold of too (HU helped massively with those two points). I know there has been a thread on favorite tracks but i think i have a bit more to say than that. I think my love of hardcore hasn't been this strong since around 2006 because of the sheer amount of quality tracks going around coupled with some really exciting newer producers emerging (Billy jump has been outstanding). I know we wouldn't be where we are if it wasn't for CDjay and the HU team (we'd probably have had two very poor digital albums and i'm sure you know which ones i mean). HU have been the engine that has driven my music collection this year and i am truely grateful. As for my favorites in order;

Favorite labels:-
(1) Hardcore underground, the sheer number of albums this year is unheard of.
(2) Trackmaster, the phenomenal Bang on! and Billy jumps solo efforts gets these guys a great rating
(3) Lethal theory, i've loved powerstomp and the more regular stuff from Kurt and Joey this year

Favourite Producers:-
(1) Kurt has kicked arse all year with some banging tracks.
(2) Joey Riot has been close on his heels with a good number of consistent releases.
(3) Scott brown has started really making some good stuff after a few indifferent tracks when he first came back, i'm looking forward to what he comes up with next year.

Favorite tracks:-
(1) Joey Riot & Klubfiller - Riot in the Klub
(2) Cruze & Wytchwood - Always on my mind (Darts remix)
(3) Scott Brown - The bleep song

Honorable mentions:-
Fracus & Darwin have made some great tracks this year especially their remake of here i am
Darts album was amazing adding to why Trackmaster have been so good this year
Dowster & Vagabond have also knocked out a few belters

Know i bet you're wondering where the negativity is? Well there has to be some and to be honest Futureworld bashing isn't even fun anymore it's just too easy now so i'll end with the biggest moment of outrage i had this year regarding hardcore. Hardcore innovators 2 arrived and i really wasn't sure what to expect and after a fairly impressive disk 1 i went on to disk 2 and saw the listing starting with a chris unknown remix of my favorite track of the year (Riot in the Klub). With Unknown in my mind being a serial track murderer, i started the song with utter dread but i wasn't even ready for the absolute hatchet job he'd done on what was a simple thumping track. He'd turned it into a wimpy poor excuse for a dubcore pile of human feces. The last time i was that angry was when S3rl killed airhead. it's kinda funny to me know but makes me think that i really must care a lot which can't be a bad thing so all in all a good year and lets hope this year is just as good.

Alert moderator
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2015/01/10 :  23:22:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
Hardcore innovators 2 arrived and i really wasn't sure what to expect and after a fairly impressive disk 1 i went on to disk 2 and saw the listing starting with a chris unknown remix of my favorite track of the year (Riot in the Klub). With Unknown in my mind being a serial track murderer, i started the song with utter dread but i wasn't even ready for the absolute hatchet job he'd done on what was a simple thumping track. He'd turned it into a wimpy poor excuse for a dubcore pile of human feces.

LOL. That's magnificent.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Mansy

United Kingdom
413 posts
Posted - 2015/01/11 :  13:37:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mansy's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
With Unknown in my mind being a serial track murderer, i started the song with utter dread but i wasn't even ready for the absolute hatchet job he'd done on what was a simple thumping track. He'd turned it into a wimpy poor excuse for a dubcore pile of human feces. The last time i was that angry was when S3rl killed airhead. it's kinda funny to me know but makes me think that i really must care a lot which can't be a bad thing so all in all a good year and lets hope this year is just as good.

Now i agree fully on the chris unkown remix. I havent liked a single track hes done since parting with sy. I dont agree on the s3rl opinion tho. I really liked hs remix of that track. The kick and bass had me reaching for the 100% volume!

Lara B/Galaxia
www.soundcloud.com/dimples-80

Producer of hardcore, house, trance and hardstyle [2005-2023]

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2015/01/11 :  13:55:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
Is the unknown remix really that bad? I've heard it and whilst it's not great I can't say it really stood out as being terrible. Can't understand this mentality of 'murdering' a track. If you don't like the remix just stick to the original, no need to get all worked up about it.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/01/11 :  15:51:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
It's not terrible, it's just....er, nothing!

In my opinion, the only way to remix Riot in the club would be to take it up a level and bring out more energy. Unknown did the opposite.

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/01/11 :  17:05:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
I forgot to add Favorite albums:

(1) Happy hardcore underground
(2) Bang on!
(3) Hardcore innovators 2

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/01/13 :  13:31:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
The Bleep Song is one of those tracks that single-handedly reminds me that I shouldn't give up on hardcore.

oxis

Portugal
128 posts
Posted - 2015/01/13 :  21:07:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit oxis's homepage
on the topic of the Riot in the Klub remix, it sounds pretty terrible indeed comparing it to the original, but to be honest the remix would have to be actually better than the original for Chris not to get shouted at by everyone and I think it's pretty difficult to make something more dancefloor friendly than what it already was

quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
The Bleep Song is one of those tracks that single-handedly reminds me that I shouldn't give up on hardcore.

man, everybody is talking about this one so much... I feel really irreverant saying this, especially since I like SB's new stuff a lot, but I really think that The Bleep Song is a bit overrated :L the breakdown is spectacular. I'll give it that for sure. but the chorus sounded a bit too predictable to me when I heard it... I don't know, it just sounded like the lead saws were the exact same thing in the exact same rhythm that I heard on the breakdown and it turned me off a bit I guess... but still, a very nice song. just, not a really amazing song IMO. I actually enjoyed Hardcore MF a bit more

what I really liked listening to this year though was the freeform stuff. I think that the last 2 stamina podcasts managed to convert me into freeform, some of the track in those mixes are just phenomenal, namely the Ice Cream remix and Dark Jungle (both the original and the remix)

Edited by - oxis on 2015/01/13 21:09:41
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/01/16 :  07:45:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
quote:

You should hear it pitched up to about 180 bpm

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2015/01/16 :  15:15:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
My summery of 2014:

Its sucked!

Just playing

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2015/01/16 :  20:50:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
quote:

Just looked it up. AMAZING!!!!

My SOUNDCLOUD

versia
Average Member

Australia
180 posts
Posted - 2015/01/16 :  22:25:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit versia's homepage
Yep. The Bleep Song is sooo refreshing.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/01/17 :  01:06:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by versia:

For those who don't know it, here's a link to it

https://soundcloud.com/evolutionrecords/ev111-scott-brown-hardcore-mf-the-bleep-song

It is a really good track, far better than the one that precedes it.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/01/18 :  10:12:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
My take on 2014 - it was great!

Forget some of the music and the shitty politics/attention seeking and it was a fantastic year.

Massive year for HU. Loads of brilliant releases and the Rehab event was a big highlight.
Played a couple of times at my favourite event (Stomp!) which despite my obvious bias is easily the best 'small' event around. Had some great times with some great people.

Loads of brilliant music, far too much to mention here but i've never had so much quality stuff to listen to.

Notable highlights for me. Pretty much all of HU's output, Darts' album, pure joy from start to finish.
Stand out tunes for me (among many)

Scott Brown - Promise. More like this please
Empyreal - Forward ever, backward never. Really makes me happy!
Cruze & Stompin' Tom - R U Redy. Amazing, amazing tune.

The downside. Too much childish rivalry and damaging outbursts from people who really should know better.
Personally, health hasn't been great which means i've missed a lot of great events.

Plenty i want to do in 2015 before i get too old, but that's for another topic.

Mansy

United Kingdom
413 posts
Posted - 2015/01/20 :  09:18:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mansy's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
Originally posted by versia:

For those who don't know it, here's a link to it

https://soundcloud.com/evolutionrecords/ev111-scott-brown-hardcore-mf-the-bleep-song

It is a really good track, far better than the one that precedes it.

Thats a pretty decent track. Carnt belive ive not heard it up untill now.

Lara B/Galaxia
www.soundcloud.com/dimples-80

Producer of hardcore, house, trance and hardstyle [2005-2023]

Darts
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
531 posts
Darts has attended 34 events
Posted - 2015/01/20 :  09:28:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Darts's homepage
Just made me really happy to see me, Trackmaster Music and Stomp! all get a mention here... I know me and the TMM guys worked super hard last year to try to make a positive difference and put some good uplifting ravey Hardcore out there (and put some good events on!)... thanks for everyone's support with that

I had a great year! Got a bit down with reading a lot of negative stuff on social networking from time to time, but something would always come along to tip the scale back the other way... usually at a gig or just on a ravey night out... when the tunes are rolling it's easy to forget all the crap and just concentrate on the music and good times with good people again

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page