Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Imagine if futureworld had invented powerstomp
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/08/15 :  18:03:11  Show profile Send a private message
Back in 2011 when a lot of folk were moaning about the sound being stale and there being a need for change included many folk on here, myself not included, they wrongly looked to styles etc to save the scene. Futureworld and dubcore pretty much killed clubland hardcore. Seven albums to make a legacy and two managed to kill it so my point is what if the new sound they made had been something like powerstomp instead? If dubcore had never been created would we still be in the same state or was it inevitable? If the old sound had stayed would we be better off? I for one cannot shake the facts that the new sound came about around the same time as things started to deteriorate. Perhaps if the new direction had gone harder we would have been better off in my opinion.

Those lethal theory guys know their stuff.

Alert moderator
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2015/08/15 :  18:18:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
i find powerstomp rather boring and repetitive after 3 tracks

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/08/15 :  20:56:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
"powerbounce" is much older tho. I think Kurt experimented with it already in 2006

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/08/15 :  22:31:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage
I saw someone on Facebook say that Petruccio & Modulate "changed the scene forever" whilst talking about them in a positive light the other day.

Has 'dubcore' really affected hardcore that much? Would things be much different now if it had never been? I'm not so sure.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2015/08/16 :  04:39:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Well, xtreme hardcore series seems dead, so dubcore seems to have done something:P

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/08/17 :  05:24:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
The whole dance music scene that somewhat consider themselves underground suffered from EDM becoming mainstream. While dubstep is already gone a lot of folks seems to be angry at it because brostep was a somewhat new sound that got adapted by many but also shot into mainstream just about two to three years later and also broke with the rather melodic take on UK Hardcore (of that time).

While a lot of powerstomp tracks are boring repackaging of old tunes it's undeniable that it had a big influence on sound design for a lot of HC producers.

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2015/08/17 :  07:54:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:

Has 'dubcore' really affected hardcore that much? Would things be much different now if it had never been? I'm not so sure.

I don't think so. It's the same as it has always been, take a sound that's popular in the mainstream and slap it over existing Hardcore sounds at 170bpm. Happened with Trance, Bounce, Hands Up, Electro, Dubstep... Even Powerstomp is just using influence from reverse bass Hardstyle at the end of the day, Freeform from Psy Trance, Hard Dance, Acid Techno etc. Nothing has drastically changed that has made a big difference really, some people like the changes and some don't, it's the same as always. There is a very vocal dislike for the current sound on here but I don't think that's the general consensus of Hardcore fans myself, people love it at raves.

Don't get me wrong, I like most of the above styles in Hardcore (maybe not the Bounce and Hands Up influences) but none of them are helping Hardcore change and really stand out. The only time Hardcore has ever been it's own thing without other influences is in the 90's really, perhaps it needs to go back to that in a fresh new way to really stand out. I don't mean slapping a stab lead over the current bassline sound either. ;)

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2015/08/17 07:58:00
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2015/08/17 :  10:03:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Or you're like me. Start by hating it, and then start to like it when people have stopped making it :P

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2015/08/17 :  17:38:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Or you're like me. Start by hating it, and then start to like it when people have stopped making it :P

Dead artist phenomena?

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/08/17 :  21:30:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
It's strange to me that powerstomp took off. It feels like the kind of thing that should've been done on one track and then maybe copied a few times by a handful of other artists.

lurker
Average Member

United States
187 posts
Posted - 2015/08/18 :  00:32:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit lurker's homepage
People were already pissed off and convinced that hardcore was in a dead zone by 2008, so yeah, the old sound wasn't going to live past 2011. Knowing the internet, I'm pretty sure there would've been just as much backlash if 4 years ago Breeze suddenly uploaded a mix with tons of powerstomp and collabs with Kurt and Joey Riot, rather than the one with Petruccio & Modulate that he did. I don't think the scene would've been better off either- there were a bunch of people looking for an excuse to get out to begin with.

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2015/08/26 :  18:06:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:

A lot of people abandoned hardcore when a lot of the top tier artists jumped on the dubcore bandwagon.
Thankfully, some of them are starting rediscover that hardcore is past that phase and are slowly coming back.

Also yeah, whilst I do still enjoy the UK Hardcore 2005-2011 sound. The current "hardcore rave" sound is certainly a healthy one and is definitely a push in the right direction.

Edited by - jordesuvi on 2015/08/26 18:18:39
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/08/26 :  21:33:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
If Futureworld had invented powerstomp it would have played it to death and killed the style within a year or two's time like they've pretty much done with almost every exclusive sound they've focused on.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.64 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page