Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  07:12:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage  Reply with quote
Well you guys have completely miss understood the haters answer.

He says that there isn't actually that much hate in hardcore but people from outside the genre don't really accept it. He doesn't talk about anything at all to do with Hardcore fans in that answer.

I think you guys are deliberately looking for negatives before you've even read the thing.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  07:16:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
Styles and Gammer have formed their own two-man uber top tier these days but even though they're receiving unprecedented mainstream exposure, it's irrelevant to the wider hardcore scene because their music sounds nothing like anyone else's. For fans of the older sound, the popularity of Styles and Gammer is actually bad news.

This does concern me. I think Gammer & Styles (because of their growing influence beyond hardcore) could be more effective at representing the scene as a whole and bringing more new fans in. That said, it's always been the same (perhaps the reason numbers are down) and they are still potentially a gateway into the genre for new people.

That's how people get into something new right? Enter through the top and then delve deeper once involved?

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  07:39:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:

1 ) "So who are the main characters other than yourself that are continuing to push it forward right now?"

"I'd say, the main, main guy, without any shadow of a doubt, is actually Darren Styles "

kinda dodge the question a bit? how abouta fracus & darwin or shimamura err storm? maybe a shout out to the j core scene in general which is proving far more happy hardcore than most of em ;p if it is about "happy hardcore" and how much he loves it i would think he would throw those kinds of things in.
i havent heard darren styles push anything " happy hardcore " for a good while honestly . and now people are gunna get fussy cuz we are actually talking about uk hardcore which i guess is going to be generally interpreted as "happy hardcore" now. at least by him? this the kinda shit that makes my head hurt xp

Agreed, he had a brilliant opportunity to push other names, but it's to be almost expected that he'd prefer to push TWR. But he's close-knit with Rhythmics and nanobii and didn't mention them, so I didn't look too much into it. Plus yeah, at the moment Darren Styles is pretty much the main guy, he's not wrong.
Happy Hardcore as a term will always stick, that's what it's always been called throughout the years in conjunction with UK Hardcore, and more recently, Hardcore Rave.
Yeah, there's stuff like "Get This Place", "We Stay Young" that is without question melbourne bounce at 170. Perhaps we'll create a new sub-genre title for someday (IYF calls it "melbcore") but the stuff from TWR that includes melodies is always happy.

quote:

2 ) "Do you have to deal with a lot of haters? "

"what we don?t really get is acceptance ? and I can understand why.

dude; WHAT?
i have never seen anybody at a hardcore show not getting the **** down; knowing exactly why they are there. people ARE sure about that. it's hardcore.
are we trying to impress someone else besides hardcore fans?

It's not about trying to impress anyone, but it's no secret that those who look at the scene from the outside in don't tend to like it. There's always some weird look I get when someone see's me jamming to a Darwin remix (no-one else I know IRL likes hardcore).

quote:
3 ) "Do you remember when you started seeing stuff like DDR pop up? Was it cool to see those sounds becoming an element of pop culture in a way?"

" I remember the first Hudson Mohawke track I heard, TNGHT?s ?Higher Ground?, it had just come on the radio and I was like, ?This sounds like a nutty kind oldschool track with a trap beat over it?. I didn?t even know what trap was at the time. I found out that he grew up with happy hardcore as well and he?s taken that influence in his music "

i must be deaf; sounds like straight up festival trap music to me. not so sure about happy hardcore influence in his music... can certainly here HIS influence in gammer's music though ;D.

I'll admit I'm a little puzzled on that one too, other than the vocal I dunno where the influence can be heard.

quote:
4) "How would you describe one of these nights, let's say the perfect night? Where is it? What does it look like, who?s playing, what?re they playing? "

"When you go to a hardcore rave, particularly in the states, it?s intense, you?ll not see anything like it. It?s the classic thing with the kandi kids, the whistles and the horns, that?s all there, but it?s the fact that when the drop comes in they don?t just do that initial cheer, they?re screaming all over it, they don?t care if it?s a guy or a girl singing the track they are singing their hearts out along with it. "

definitely not going to look like that with the kind of set darren styles played at the basscon stage at EDC the last 3 years... the reaction he is speaking of is the pure glorious uk hardcore candy kid party. you simply cannot achieve that with big room or trap; THAT crowd is not there for THAT sound. so he knows the different crowds want different things at different times; and will garner different reactions; but will still just play whatever he feels like; when he feels like?

I can imagine the big festival sets are a little more scripted, but for a hardcore show I'm sure the DJ would read the crowd and play according to the type of hardcore they're getting the best reaction from.

Otherwise yeah, I didn't really look too much into it. I don't think Gammer is the type to throw in subliminal hints and messages.
I also don't want to see people just hate on the interview "just because it's Gammer". As Claxton points out:

quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
"I don't think it's wise to over analyse what Gammer writes. I think sometimes it doesn't come across as he intends."
"I think you guys are deliberately looking for negatives before you've even read the thing."

Edited by - jordesuvi on 2015/10/01 07:56:13
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  15:42:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
i actually thought it was an insightful interview as well. don't get me wrong; gammer has a place in my heart. i bought that new cd literally for CD 1. that is hardcore at it's prime to me. i will pump that shit forever.

and i suppose using happy hardcore as the blanket term for our music does make more sense. i am just very used to distinguishing happy vs UK in the US cuz everyone is pretty genre dumb and you have to be very specific. at the same time though we can't call shit from 95 "happy hardcore" ; then call some 2006 shit "happy hardcore" then call his new trap crap " happy hardcore. it does not work, and it is confusing. every other genre has 4 or 5 specific dedicated subgenres with producers & dj's that focus on their style and never even make the other styles. why cant hardcore be as specific? why does it need to be some huge amalgam with this shit mixture where we don't even know what is coming next anymore. ? ( eg PSY; i can find goa; dark; prog; hi tech; etc. completely different producers for all and they don't touch the other styles generally. people like SPECIFICS. why doesnt hardcore get it?

who cares if other people do not like hardcore? is that not the point?

that said; i don't understand this huge identity crisis and multiple personality disorder hardcore has. seriously. no other rave genre has this many problems constantly trying to reinvent itself. why? there is nothing wrong with hardcore or the people that listen to it.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  15:49:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
mthfkr just proved my point again

" Sorry but that track is an insult to Happy Hardcore. Where are the driven 909 drums, old skool stabs, euphoric pianos..."

gammer: In the 90s

LOL. he doesnt care WHAT happy hardcore is. he just wants to say whatever he is making is happy hardcore. gammer wants to lead & shape the scene ; that is clear.

it is like when i told breeze to label his shit right and the he labeled it

"newcorecuztheoldcoreisaborecore" these peeps just have serious ego issues .

your opinion should be their opinion; or god forbid!
what do we know as multiple year fans and supporters of their music?
clearly nothing

Edited by - trippnface on 2015/10/01 15:51:50
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  16:25:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Let's not get into the 'haters' thing again.

There's a big difference between bashing somebody for the sake of it (now known as 'doing an Elliott') and occasionally disagreeing with something an artist does.

Rarely, somebody does or says something that forces me to comment, but normally I just don't bother.

In future, I will be hiring Claxton to write my comments. He gets it!

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  17:07:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
These guys say they are the only ones pushing hardcore. The problem is, they are pushing hardcore to be everything else and not let it evolve on its own. Look what happened to dubcore, it collapsed and now they are trying to push something else and it's not working. Styles and gammer can't bring new folk to the scene because they are too removed from it, the best thing they could for hardcore is leave and make some commercial shit that is what they are trying to turn hardcore into.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  18:15:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
These guys say they are the only ones pushing hardcore. The problem is, they are pushing hardcore to be everything else and not let it evolve on its own. Look what happened to dubcore, it collapsed and now they are trying to push something else and it's not working. Styles and gammer can't bring new folk to the scene because they are too removed from it, the best thing they could for hardcore is leave and make some commercial shit that is what they are trying to turn hardcore into.

100% unbiased synopsis.
reality makes us haters

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  19:51:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
mthfkr just proved my point again

" Sorry but that track is an insult to Happy Hardcore. Where are the driven 909 drums, old skool stabs, euphoric pianos..."

gammer: In the 90s

This comment really annoys me. I like 90's happy hardcore more than most, as people who know me will know but to suggest people make modern music with outdated sounds and techniques is unrealistic.

You would never ask a director of a big budget movie to use a Super 8 or a CD cover art designer to use a pencil and paper. But people still demand that musicians use sounds or synths that are 20-25+ years old to make modern tunes. They'll quite happily use download or streaming services to listen to tunes on their Iphone but they want artists to use outdated mediums to make the tunes. It's stupid. The limitations on say, the Alpha Juno compared to a soft synth, are just too great.

What I think needs to be done to retain the "happy hardcore" tag is to use modern sounds and techniques but use them to keep the vibe of the older styles alive. The Japanese are doing this at the moment and it's working really well. Hardcore was pretty much a laughing stock of the dance scene in the mid 90's, numbers at events dropped and the scene pretty much died off so when it started to ditch all the 90's sounds and get a bit more serious at the turn of the century it seemed to gain more acceptance and numbers at raves increased again (obviously numbers are down again but that's more to do with licensing laws and the state of the club scene as a whole, not just hardcore). If it where to stick with the quarter of a century old instruments if would die off altogether. Their's nothing wrong with a bit of the old sounds here and there but to suggest you make a modern tune to be played in clubs using just solely those things is illogical.

At the end of the day, people complain that the music isn't what it used to be, they stop listening. New fans start listening based on the current sound and start complaining when the sound evolves again, they then leave the scene and new people start listening. Rinse & repeat.

Edited by - Mortis on 2015/10/01 20:22:19
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/10/02 :  05:38:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
why does it need to be some huge amalgam with this shit mixture where we don't even know what is coming next anymore. ? ( eg PSY; i can find goa; dark; prog; hi tech; etc. completely different producers for all and they don't touch the other styles generally. people like SPECIFICS. why doesnt hardcore get it?

Because, IMO, diversity is better. I like how an Hardcore producer can damp his creative brush in different colors and mostly get away with it. But compared to Psy/Trance, Hardcore is a shared name for lots of different musical styles. Punk and Rap also share that name, aswell as dutch and industrial.

For the better or worse, I like Hardcore because it can take inspiration from other genre's and make it work. Most of the time :P
But I'm more thankful to Bouncy Techno than I am to British Hardcore. If it wasn't for BT, we would never have had a happier dutch style, makina, j-core. Hell, British Hardcore would probably still be a drum'n'bass like genre today... also, I actually hate bouncy techno :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2015/10/02 05:41:47
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2015/10/02 :  08:41:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
Why had Gammer remixed a Justin Beiber song?

He must have lost hundreds of man points doing that!

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2015/10/02 :  13:40:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:

I'd love some man points! How does one go about scoring such a thing?

Belches at the dinner table? Building the flat pack furniture without instructions no less?

a2
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 posts
Posted - 2015/10/02 :  14:03:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit a2's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:tyles and gammer can't bring new folk to the scene because they are too removed from it, the best thing they could for hardcore is leave and make some commercial shit that is what they are trying to turn hardcore into.

not only them, 90% uk/happy hardcore today sounds like 170 bpm house/pop/trap tracks

very sad

Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2015/10/02 :  14:13:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:

I'd love some man points! How does one go about scoring such a thing?

Belches at the dinner table? Building the flat pack furniture without instructions no less?

I think having sex with a mother and daughter at the same time would qualify for a LOT of man points

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/10/02 :  14:14:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by a2:
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:tyles and gammer can't bring new folk to the scene because they are too removed from it, the best thing they could for hardcore is leave and make some commercial shit that is what they are trying to turn hardcore into.

not only them, 90% uk/happy hardcore today sounds like 170 bpm house/pop/trap tracks

very sad

then you know nothing Jon Snow!

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.16 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page