Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Track volume
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2016/01/09 :  22:56:21  Show profile Send a private message
Is there a certain volume level producers know to set their tracks to? I notice on the HU Albums, the mastering is solid, but I can buy a Super Eurobeat CD, and the volume is always a tad lower. How do artists/engineers know the volume is on level with any other track from a different artist?

Alert moderator
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2016/01/10 :  01:10:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
A trick of mastering and mixing engineers is to make comparisons with other similar style tracks so as to achieve a relative balance. There is no "Standard Balance". What you hear is the end result of someone's personal taste and decision in the matter.

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2016/01/10 :  06:27:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
What I've found in my casual observation is that hardcore right now is no different than pop or EDM when it comes to loudness: most stuff is mastered right up to the limit. It isn't a matter of knowing where to set the volume for a track or album in this case - it's a matter of deciding how much quality you are willing to sacrifice to achieve the hollow goal of making stuff "loud." Most tracks and albums are quite squashed, and some have very audible clipping. This is the case on so much otherwise excellent music, such as JD-KiD & Arun - Excelsior, Who's Got The Stamina, CDs 1 and 3 on Freeform Family, and many others.

Edited by - Impulse_Response on 2016/01/10 06:29:11
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/01/12 :  20:13:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
What I've found in my casual observation is that hardcore right now is no different than pop or EDM when it comes to loudness: most stuff is mastered right up to the limit. It isn't a matter of knowing where to set the volume for a track or album in this case - it's a matter of deciding how much quality you are willing to sacrifice to achieve the hollow goal of making stuff "loud." Most tracks and albums are quite squashed, and some have very audible clipping. This is the case on so much otherwise excellent music, such as JD-KiD & Arun - Excelsior, Who's Got The Stamina, CDs 1 and 3 on Freeform Family, and many others.

Yeah. To get a track as loud as most modern hardcore, you have to absolutely crush it. Sometimes you'll get lucky and it'll sound okay but most tracks now have very obvious clipping.

I get dragged into that stuff as much as any other producer. It's hard not to. :(

DJ Flintlock3r
Starting Member

United States
8 posts
Posted - 2016/01/20 :  09:30:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Flintlock3r's homepage
Depends on the audience and sound you're going for. I prefer quality over loudness, so I can keep as much integrity in the mix as possible while still being able to have a lot of things going on at once. The problem is the "loudness wars", where every guy is trying to outdo his buddy and be louder. The result is loud music that doesn't sound dynamic and can even sound awful. Hardcore is one of those styles that has a lot of different things and dynamics going on, so red-lining the mastering...it sounds too muddy.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/01/20 :  10:10:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
RMS -12db. which is the top of the green on all peak meters, its the maximum energy that can pass through everyday cables without clipping and frequency loss

export a track with every mixer channel on the green, and it will play the same in all other software and on hardware

so then play it on a hifi is will sound quiet and shit, so you need a power amp or a PA amp and massive thick speaker cable for all the extra watts to go through

Edited by - Guest on 2016/01/20 10:11:25

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.16 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page