Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 Mastering for the Bedroom Producer?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
PecheyTheLizard
Average Member

United States
172 posts
Posted - 2016/09/06 :  15:44:38  Show profile Send a private message  Visit PecheyTheLizard's homepage
As of right now, i have my first DJ Edit track finally finished in a long ass time! Woo! My problem as of right now, and what my question is, Is where do i start now? My last full track i finished was my remix of Elysium, which had "OK" mastering involved, but i didnt do dip to make it sound any better and generally it was all unmastered. As a college student, i was wondering how i can master this so called track, meanwhile keeping my money in my wallet? Are there ANY free mastering plugins worth dip? i would really like to make some small cash off of this track, and i want it to sound as good as possible! Thanks. i can post an example if requests are made! Thanks!

-Pechey

Alert moderator
Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2016/09/06 :  16:10:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
The problem for me is trying to define what "mastering" even means for singles, as the term more properly applies in album preparation and manufacturing. In this genre it usually means maximizing the loudness, and often at the expense of quality.

As for the actual mastering, I can't provide any help. Whatever you end up doing though, the important thing is to perform a proper comparison at the end to make sure the mastering is actually improving the track. This is where everyone else screws up, because they don't seem to do it. Cut out the loudest part of the track (maybe the chorus) in both versions and reduce the gain of the mastered one until they play back at the same perceived loudness. They should be matched as closely as possible. Then solo back and forth and see which one you like more.

Also, make sure you use a true peak meter to make sure you don't have intersmaple peaks that go above full scale and cause clipping. The true peak level should be no greater than -1 dB, which will put the peak sample value somewhere between maybe -3 and -1 dB. I use the free plugin MLoudnessAnalyzer.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/09/06 :  16:34:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
If you can't do it yourself you likely have to bring some money to the table. There are some cheap options. While i haven't used it myself Nakura and X-A7T, both being smaller Artists but here for a while, offer a mastering service for small money. Nakura mastered the Hardbooted compilation and X-A7T does Mastering work for Venom Drive. You can always go a little bigger and ask M-Project and alike. But i don't know their rates.

I would not recommend using Monarch or LANDR.

"Free Plugins" are only useful if you have a clue what you are doing. There are quite a few tutorials explaining usual EDM mastering steps. But unless your track fell out of a Vengeance/Cymatic sample pack there likely will be some more tweaks helpful than a preset will get you.

Also: don't expect to really make cash of a track unless you have the capacity to reach enough people.

DjZelous
Advanced Member

United States
553 posts
Posted - 2016/09/07 :  14:35:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjZelous's homepage
Try fiddling around with T-Racks, You gotta buy it but its great for mastering if you know what you are doing

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/09/11 :  19:20:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
just make all your mixer channels in the green in your DAW, EQ everything again if needed, then export, and normalize it to RMS averages, if all peak remain in the lines -12db or whatever, then its mastered

tutorials all suck ass and know nothing about anything, along with most other wannabe engineers

if channels arn't in the green, then your bass will have random volumes and all the teenage problems, when you turn it up loud on any pro hardware that is using RMS, like PA systems and cars

Edited by - Guest on 2016/09/11 19:30:50
ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/09/11 :  20:57:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
just make all your mixer channels in the green in your DAW, EQ everything again if needed, then export, and normalize it to RMS averages, if all peak remain in the lines -12db or whatever, then its mastered

tutorials all suck ass and know nothing about anything, along with most other wannabe engineers

if channels arn't in the green, then your bass will have random volumes and all the teenage problems, when you turn it up loud on any pro hardware that is using RMS, like PA systems and cars

Don't forget to charge yourself a 1000$ for this professional master.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/09/11 :  21:46:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
you have to work with the maximum energy cables and PCB can handle, which is RMS, or you loose frequencies and everything goes to shits, pro cables will be ofc and shielded, and a few mm's thicker like normal sub-bass speaker cable, more AWG's your cable has more energy they can manage, but you still need RMS for the hardware it goes to

Edited by - Guest on 2016/09/11 21:47:27
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/09/11 :  21:53:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
buy a decent rackmount AMP for 100->200 and use it for your monitors, instead of all the middleclass rubbish with noise cancelation etc

so when its mastered, it does'nt matter about the final file having the gain put up and above the peak lines, it will sound the same on whatever soundsystem or hifi you play it on

Edited by - Guest on 2016/09/11 22:11:23

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.19 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page