Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Im looking to buy a sound module
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Xplosiv
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 posts
Posted - 2003/09/18 :  09:42:38  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Xplosiv's homepage
Hey guys.
I have just bought a yamaha synth and a drum machine,
I would now like to buy a module to wire up to the synth, and I would like it to make acid and hoovers sounds.
Also I need to get a program that can record and sample, I have Reason, but at the moment I dont have a midi sound card to connect up the synth.
Can you give me some advice.
Thanks

Turn up Da' System

Alert moderator
Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/09/18 :  10:22:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
You have a mad lot of misconceptions so I'm going to attempt to clear up some confusion for you right off the bat:

First off, a sound module is an independent machine that doesn't really get wired to your synth (unless you're using the synth's keyboard as an external controller for the module and no longer want to use the synth's internal sound capabilities.) Also, to record and sample you can use your sound card's line in - MIDI can only transfer notation data. However, if you wish your external synthesizer to work in tandem with your software sequencer, you're going to need some sort of midi interface which can output midi data to the synthesizers (as well as recieve input data to record MIDI live) and some sort of recording interface which can bring in the audio signal and route it to whatever program is doing the recording/sequencing. Depending on your situation, you may want to go the cheap way (and just update your sound card to something like the Audigy 2, which has a device that sits in one of your drive bays and not only sends and recieves MIDI data but also gets rather clean audio input,) or you may want to go the expensive way (buy a full audio/midi interface and hook that up via firewire...)

As for the sound module you're looking for, I don't know if a sound module would be the best choice for you. The E-Mu Proteus 2000 is one of the best dance sound modules I know of (I think the Proteus is the dance version, there's a full series of E-Mu modules in that vein, like the MoPhatt.) However, to get really good, original hoover or acid sounds you're going to need synthesizers which can generate those sounds dynamically - one of the most important things for an acid sound is the slurring of the notes, something which is done best by a synthesizer. There's a great FREE vst you can download called Muon Tau that is a SUPERB 303 emulator and can do the acid sound quite well - with full automation and tweakability on all thoes tasty knobs. They also have a better sounding version with more customizability called the Muon Tau Pro. Another good 303 emulator (and this goes without saying) is Rebirth by Propellerheads - it also includes 808 and 909 drum synth emulators and reproduces the classic acid sound quite well. As for hoovers, try reFx's JunoX2 synth plugin (junoX3 should be coming soon, I think!) There's also some damn good hoovers in .wav format available on the stimulant dj's website (I forget the URL) Or, of course, you could actually try and get your paws on a real Juno and TB303, though that would probably be the most expensive method.

Hope that helps. :)

EDIT: The stimulant hoover packs can be downloaded at http://www.stimulantrecords.co.uk/tunage.php

-dj h3o

All I know is that to me, you look like you're lots of fun, open up your loving arms - watch out here I come!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Kaffine on 2003/09/18 10:24:37
Xplosiv
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 posts
Posted - 2003/09/18 :  15:43:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xplosiv's homepage
Thanks 4 ur help.
I should of explained this better in my first post,
The keboard I have at the moment has no good sound built into it, (well some) but none I would like to use.
So I would like to connect the keboard via midi to a new device eg (Module) or whatever I need, to give me a whole new set of sound that I can use and tweek. And then run the line out from the module to my computer to record the sounds.
Plus I would like to know which program will allow me to record sounds and then edit them.

When I get a midi sound card, I will then also use the keboard to control the devices in Reason.

Thanks for ur help.
Now I have explained it better can you give me some more advise. :)

Turn up Da' System

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2003/09/18 :  16:45:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Another good 303 emulator (and this goes without saying) is Rebirth by Propellerheads

That has to be the best emulator out there :)
quote:
you could actually try and get your paws on a real Juno and TB303, though that would probably be the most expensive method.

Alpha Juno's are surprisingly cheap (in my opinion) at around £150-300, TB 303's are quite the opposite though at around £700-900 :)

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.86 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page