Total online 1544
 Radio listeners 157+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 How does Scott Brown do those Kick-drum FX?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
hooverlover

United Kingdom
321 posts
Posted - 2003/09/19 :  18:12:01  Show profile Send a private message
If you've heard some of SB's new material, his Nu-style-Gabber, listen to the kick drums, prety simple gabber kick drums yeh, but can some one help me identify what FX he puts on them - then and again at the end of each bar, when they go squeeky... here's what i've thought of but some i don't know what they do and some i've tried and don't sound the same:

Resonant HPF setting on each kick < doesn't quite sound like it
Ring-Mod with a Sine-wave < doesn't do it either
Comb-Filter < what does this do i've heard about it somewhere

that's all i can think of, maybe i should email scott B but i think it might be a secret technique of his, what a greedy man!

Alert moderator
Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Comet has donated money to the site Comet has attended 22 events
Posted - 2003/09/19 :  18:35:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
I've been wanting to know how to do this too. I heard it's all distortion and cutoff.

__________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2003/09/19 :  18:44:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
The best thing to do is ask on the Evolution records forums :) Or, like you said, e-mail him, you don't know untill you ask :)

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2003/09/19 18:45:48
hooverlover

United Kingdom
321 posts
Posted - 2003/09/19 :  19:20:31  Show profile  Send a private message
yeh Comet I Think it is actually the High Pass Filter option, it sort of works, get a prob that does it first (I used VAZ Modular but there's loads of other programs)
Load up the kick, whack it through a Highpass Filter (Oposit of the very used Lowpass one) put the Resonance up very high, or max!! and tweak the Cutoff, sample a different Cutoff setting for about 5 kick separate kick drums and sequence them later on. tada!

oh and yeh and distortion. I belive Rotterdam Terror Corps have done this too, it's not Scott Browns idea, he got the idea off them i think. (and aload of other ideas like chopping up vocals and making it sound clever lol)

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2003/09/25 :  22:17:57  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
Yeah, the idea in itself is not new, but this is how I do it.

Get you favourite sequencer handy. I'll describe this from a Fruity Loops perspective, just cos its easier.

I get my bassdrum sample (a simple one). Distort it.

Load 2 as "samplers". Like 2 differenet samplers.Call one a kase drum (the squeeky one) and the other the bassdrum. Set one to loop like a normal beat. With your Kase drum, set the filter settings to a highpass with a touch of resosance (sp??). It should sould really squeeky.

What I do now is this.

Loop the 4/4 bassdrum rhythm for 3 bars. On the 4th bar, have it hit 3 times. Now hit your Kase drum in an offbeat manner (like triplets) towards the end of the 4th bar.

Hope that makes some sense.

-=[ryg0r]=-

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.94 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page