Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Read Me!!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
RaverBaby69
Average Member

United Kingdom
234 posts
Posted - 2005/05/03 :  06:49:22  Show profile Send a private message
hi i feel a little cheeky sayin wot im about 2 say but here goes... One of my m8s is a garage MC but he also MCs for his m8s who play drum n bass on their set, anyway, on sunday nite they had a gig at new york new york and he was really dissapointed with the turnout, the flyer did say age 14 and up (which they would like to change to 18 I think) and so there was a dry bar also so I suppose that put people off! They were all actually really good so I felt really bad that the turnout wasn't what they were expecting so I told him I would post this seeking some ideas! I was wandering if u people had a suggestion of a better venue in stafford or nearby where they might be able to get a slot and any phone numbers I can give them to sort this out for themselves? any help or even offers to trial them would be great, thanks! x

"I'm having the best time being off my pickle and feelin the music"

Alert moderator

Edited by - RaverBaby69 on 2005/05/05 19:09:30
DJDURSTAN

Trinidad And Tobago
342 posts

156 hardcore releases
DJDURSTAN has attended 5 events
Posted - 2005/05/16 :  16:49:43  Show profile  Send a private message
Hi
Ive been runnin a D&B night for a while now but have just quit. The problem is that the Garage heads have started tryin to R&B D&B and it doesn't work D&B should never be about bling bling or lookin cool it is and always has been a form of rave music and the modern producers need to re discover their roots in order to turn the scene around and untill they chill out and realise this then it won't work.
As for your mates the only advice i can give is to stick at it and try and book some headliners you can get up & comin DJ's like ZEN for cheap, also try to get a licenced bar cos unless the club is a proper pill hole open till 6 in the mornin it wont work and make sure it is over 16 at least.

you and me hardcore forever!!!!!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2005/05/16 :  22:27:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
You've just got to get the word out, and the right vibe about the night. I did a 16+ night once, and we hit 1500 through the door, and that was a mixed bag of genres to say the least!! Live rock/indie bands with trance/house DJs between sets (I'm not kidding!!).

The key is promotion. Know your market, learn what they like. Get out on the streets flyering, and talk to the kids, don't just give them a flyer and let them be on their way, chat to them. Flirt with the ladies. Get the ladies in and the lads will follow. The venue we used was on 2 levels, the main dancefloor which was dry, and the balcony which had security on the stairs to stop underage peeps going up to the proper bar - if you could do that you might get more of a spread age range.

Theres loads of other things you can do to spread the word..... don't be afraid to be a corporate whore to get the word spread!

Sure, if the venue is a bit on the downmarket side or off the beaten track (I don't know Stafford, sorry) then thats a good reason to change venues, but alot of it is down to promotion.

BTW, I haven't done any promotion for a good few years now, so the laws may have changed, but when I did the 16+ night, the reason it had to be 16+ was because U16s aren't allowed to be in the club due to licencing restrictions after midnight (we went on till 2). Maybe it was a clause/by-law of our region, but I'd get your mate (if it was your mate promoting) to check out the licence in that respect.... the fines are pretty hefty, and can result in licences being revoked. Depending on the contract with the club, it may be the promotor who is responsible too rather than teh club

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

Alert moderator Go to top of page

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page