Total online 1562
 Radio listeners 175+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 will underground music EVER go mainstream???
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
xamulink
Starting Member

19 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  13:48:45  Show profile Send a private message  Visit xamulink's homepage
I just your guys' opinions on whether or not underound music can go mainstream...I'm talkin bout dare I say Britney Spears mainstream...with that in mind, I think that trance will be tha next step in tha US in regards to radio commercial airplay...I give much propz to Alice Deejay because my radio station actually played it which was pretty uncommon for some Euro to be played in a midwest state...I know, I know...there are plenty of radio stations that play underground music...but remember, I'm talkin bout whether underground music can reach tha heights of er...um...Britney Spears...give me your input everyone...peace

Alert moderator
DJ e-Klyps

United Kingdom
258 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  14:20:24  Show profile  Send a private message
I've been thinking about this one lately and i can only see one way it could happen at the moment. The music industry in the UK wont touch HHC with a shitty stick. Therefore the only way is if a big artist (DJ Jean, Alice Deejay, Sash) was to stick a HHC track as a 3rd or 4th track on a single. Not likely, or maybe a hardhouse DJ spinning a few HHC tracks into a hardhouse comilation CD. Again not likely. AArrrrrrghhhh what to do"!!!!!!

PLUR=
Peace
Love
Unity
Respect

Unity
Respect

Alert moderator Go to top of page
ladd

United States
74 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  14:48:38  Show profile  Send a private message
it depends on what area ur talking about. . . for the usa, techno/dance is finally becoming more mainstream and accepted already, and most people will agree that it will continue on that trend. but i dont see specialized genres like hhc and garage (for example) ever becoming brittney spears popular.

personally it doesnt matter to me whether something is mainstream or underground, as long as i like how it sounds =o)

odayakana mizu no nagare wa ****i.

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  15:21:10  Show profile  Send a private message
In the US it sort of is happening. ATB (and others) had music videos on MTV. I guess it depends on what you call underground music. I have friends from England that say all you hear on the radio is Techno and that it's totally not underground, but not stuff like HHC though. Here in the US I don't think HHC will ever be main stream cause it's barely even accepted at raves ^_^

GT
Average Member

United Kingdom
160 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  16:08:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GT's homepage
I don't think it stands much chance in the UK. If it did go mainstream, three things could happen.
1. It takes off in a MASSIVE way, and everybody loves it. The music stays as it is, and the scene grows in such a way that hardcore comes back to stay.
2. Again, it is a success, but the music is diluted, becomes cheese again, and turns into shite commercial bollocks. The real scene is then killed off, and the music lost forever.
3. Nobody likes it, it flops, the DJ's who are in it for the money ****-off to HardHouse or summat, while those who are in it for the love of the music stay on, eatch new tune is a killer, and the scene survives and everyone is happy

Then again, I could just be tripping...

================
'You picked me up, and swept me away....'

ladd

United States
74 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  16:52:43  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by Soren:

Here in the US I don't think HHC will ever be main stream cause it's barely even accepted at raves ^_^

good point soren, hhc kids are few and far between. tucson probably has one hhc-themed area per every 30 raves or more. =o( *sniff*

xamulink
Starting Member

19 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  17:15:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit xamulink's homepage
yea, u rite soren, ATB had a videos on MTV...at least thats a start...I also agree with ladd, as long as it sounds good, I like, however, wouldn't it be nice to have Billboard announce...say Blank & Jones' new album over nsync's...that would really help tha industry of underground music like trance/techno/house/etc. u know...peace

DJ Tempest

United States
381 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  17:23:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Tempest's homepage
god i hope not

"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."
-Steven Wright

ladd

United States
74 posts
Posted - 2001/04/05 :  18:25:41  Show profile  Send a private message
as far as mainstream VS underground, i think a whole seperate website could be devoted just to forums of people arguing their points for and against each. =o) its one of those ongoing debates that won't ever be resolved.

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/04/06 :  00:07:27  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
It all depends if you want HHC to go commerical, I certainly really dont want it too, it will kill it. Remember when the Prodigy started to get popular? I respect the prodigy and their music but for some it's just cool to like the prodigy.... I agree that this point will be argued over and over, it will be cool if done correctly and the scene stays around for a long as Rock and Roll has been around. But image if it took the path of Disco, here today, hated tomorrow.

xamulink
Starting Member

19 posts
Posted - 2001/04/06 :  01:49:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit xamulink's homepage
to tell u tha truth...I don't wanna say never...but I doubt that hhc will ever be popular mainstreamwise...I was focusing more on trance/techno/progressive cause I thought I could post stuff about "other genres" in this forum...anyways, I didn't want this to be an argumentive type of question...just what u guys thought of where "dance" music in general is headed with regards to tha US scene...peace

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/04/06 :  02:58:04  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Well dance music is fine, but I just don't want some unknown freak to get up and talk shit about HHC music on TV like they have been into it for the last 10 years when they have only been into it for 1 month.

Rotis

Sweden
129 posts
Posted - 2001/04/06 :  08:46:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rotis's homepage
True silver.. That would really piss me off.

Hardcore will never die!

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2001/04/06 :  10:02:25  Show profile  Send a private message
I personally don't want any techno to go "mainstream" I think it kills the music. I went to Eurovidoepophits.com or something like that (I don't remember the site excatly) and their special 15min video of the month was some lame live act at a rave concert with tons of ppl. The music was extremely borning and I recognized several of their sounds as presets off their gear. And all the ppl in the audience looked like the ppl that picked on me in high school. I hate when jocks and cheerleaders and other "main stream" ppl show up at raves and rip their shirts off and get all farged up on E. They are paracites on the scene and scare me. Sorry... ^_^ Ummm.. calming down... OK, I am better now ^_^

Although it is cool when you see jocks doing liquid and trying to "battle" ppl while dancing cause they are pretty easy to embarass in front of their GF's and that is nice revenge for 12 years of scool torture ^_^

sunrize

United States
144 posts
sunrize is verified hardcore artist sunrize has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/04/06 :  12:54:25  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit sunrize's homepage
All I have to say is this...

peace,
sunrize
http://djsunrize.com
http://happycrap.vinylunderground.com

http://www.pitchedup.net
http://www.myspace.com/sunrizesound
http://www.myspace.com/sunrize

Rotis

Sweden
129 posts
Posted - 2001/04/07 :  17:42:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rotis's homepage
It's the one from Innercity right?

Yeah I agree.. Fake audience! ;P But woo... Tons of people at least... Kinda boring music too... Just some mainstream-trance.

Actually there was 85000 people INSIDE... which is kinda amazing.. I wish that was a Happycore party.. It would be roxxor. =)

Hardcore will never die!

Edited by - Rotis on 07 Apr 2001 17:56:16

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.52 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page