Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 DJ EXPECTATIONS
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
ClOcKwOrK
Starting Member

United States
1 post
Posted - 2002/01/18 :  17:48:36  Show profile Send a private message
HEY EVERYONE I JUST STARTED DJING RECENTLY I WAS BLESSE TO RECIEVE TURNTABLES FOR CHRISTAMAS THIS YEAR AND WOULD LIKE TO JUST GET STARTED OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT...SO ANYWAYS MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THE DJ THESE DAYS LIKE WHAT DO PEOPLE LOOK FOR WHEN THEY TRY TO FIND NEW DJS WHAT DO THE CROWDS WANT WHAT DO THE PROMOTERS WANT ...IFI WAANT TO BE A SERIOUS DJ WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ME?

Alert moderator

Edited by - ClOcKwOrK on 2002/01/18 20:12:19
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/01/19 :  09:27:29  Show profile  Send a private message
don't post in all capitals in future please.
anyways,as a dj you're expected to be able to be good at mixing,or beat-matching,you have to know what the crowd wants and know how to get them going by what tunes you play.

this isn't done by playing anthem after anthem, but starting off with good tracks,maybe one or two in the middle of the set then ending the set with an amazing track.

promotors will expect good mixing ability,the crowd will want good tunes,but you need to be able to mix properly to get to play in front of the crowds, so work on that for now.

one more thing you'll need - patience. it took me two years of practice before i got my first gig. as long as you don't expect things to happen overnight and you're patient you'll be fine.

i could ramble on forever,but here's the main pointers,and a few more dj's will point some more out. watch this space

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse In Da House!!!
http://clubstation.esmartmusic.com

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/01/19 :  09:58:56  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
Yeah.. i asked the same question to this when i started
and i got told something very similar to mouse's answer..
so yeah.. follow his advice :D

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/01/20 :  00:57:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
The first part of Djing is truly the hardest, promoters don't want to know new people no matter how good your cd is. The effort they spend on listening to it is the efort they could have spent getting the same old $250 an hour well knowns to come and play instead.

SO....You have to make your appeal to the promoter by being sociable and give the impression that you are serious and gonna rock wherever you go and are not desperate. You'll get there, just have a good set planned for when playing in front of the promoter considering you for a residency.

Thats how it goes for clubs, for raves, its more about you're skill but sociability (who you know) is always very important.

Now the Djing bit, Contrary to popular belief, the most important thing about Djing is ENTERTAINMENT! Not beatmatching, Tunes or Looks! Every second person is a dj these days so you have to do more than just mix... Let you're personality out. Obviously thats hard at first but its essential so you will be remembered.

So you could play all commercial shit for the easy way out, but with an audience of any integrity at all, you have to try harder... The best thing you can do as a dj is kick ass with a whole load of tunes the crowd has never heard. Then again an anthem or too never hurt anyone, just use them sparingly...

Learn all your tracks by heart, (Next bit in relation to hardcore but applys to every style)

If the crowd doesn't like bangin gabbery shit, play some happy hard with extra cheese or something trancev/NRGish and vice versa. The crowds taste is more important than yours.

Practice like a bastard! Tape your mixes often and try to picture yourself as a punter listening to the set for the first time.

Record you're good mix ideas on paper or tape!

DONT EVER DO MIXES WITH THE BASS FULLY UP AND BOTH CHANNELS AT FULL!! I hate when djs do that! THe clashing bass drums canceling each other out...Aaaaaaaaarrgh!

Be a smart arse when playing, have fun and dont just put your head down.

B4 any clubs let you play, find somewhere other than you're house where you can play regularily in a different setup. THis is invaluable as no two lubs will have the same equipment. I know at home here the lighting allows me to find the breakdowns in songs by looking at the change in lightness on the record groove. I cant do that anywhere else so i trained myself not to rely on it by playing in the dark with only a lamp.

Sometimes play with your foldback loud as ****, sometimes real soft for the above reason of not getting used to it being quiet and then getting blasted when you play out.

and finally...Jockey Sluts are not just for christmas, they're for life. haha

hope all that crap helps

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.61 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page