Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/04/29 :  16:30:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
they're real noisy i think,and general midi sucks
but at least there's the soundfonts which are pretty handy

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/04/30 :  02:57:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
In response to the HDD question:
Yes you can run a ata100 and a 66 on the same computer.. but you have to put them on different IDE channels.. so put the 100 on primary and the 66 on secondary.
that way the ata100 drive will run as fast as possible and will only revert to ata66 when copying to or from the ata66 drive. if you have a cd drive put it on secondary aswell. try and keep only ata100's together..

remember putting anything thats not ata100 on the same channel (primary) will slow it down. remember also that cd drives are sometimes not even udma33 so try keep them away from your primary channel too.

As for soundblaster cards. They are decent cards if you get the right drivers for them.. anything below a sblive is definitely pants.. sblive or audigy can be really cheap and powerfull cards if you use the kX drivers. kX basically turns the sblive/audigy into a studio quiality card.. with low latency, and ACTUALLY uses its dsp capabilities. (it shits on the audigy drivers)

kx Drivers: http://www.kxproject.com

they are being improved all the time which is more than you can say about creativelabs' drivers.. *cough* wankers *cough*

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/05/08 :  07:40:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
OK, here's my suggestions:

"Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz Boxed PC400
- Socket PGA478, 512kB "Northwood""

That's good. But check out the new 2.26 GHz+ P4a's out perform the Athlons (a lot) and now support a 533mhz FSB.

"ATI RADEON 7500 64MB DDR AGP"

If you want super performance and can spend about $200 on a video card get a Geforce4. Any of the Ti4200 cards w/128MB are good.

"IBM Deskstar 40GB IDE 7200RPM
- ATA/100 Hard Driv 120GXP /IC35L040AVVA07"

Stay away from the Deskstar series. They suck. I had one, it blew up. The overal customer satisfaction rating on the Deskstars on Cnet is around 45% right now, which makes them one of the worst rated product lines of all time. Plus mine blew up :( You have been warned :) Get a Seagate Barracuda, or if you have a little extra cash get a Western Digital WD1200JB they are the best harddrives (IDE at least) on the market. Although IDE is moving to serial soon so....

"Asus P4B266 Mainboard for S478/P-4
I845D, ATA/100, ATX, Retail, USB2.0, DDR"

Get a P4T533-C. Also by Asus. It supports the 533 Mhz FSB for your processor and supports RDRAM PC1066 RIMM's. The new 533 MHZ RDRAM just smashes the DDR-DIMM's. It's about 40% "faster" than PC2700 RAM.

"DDR-DIMM PC2100 512MB DDR CL2.5
Generic Memory 184-P (for DDR-PC266mhz)"

If you really want DDR DIMM's get PC2700 CL2 RAM. It should be coming out right about now. And if you you still plan on getting PC2100 chips get CL2 not CL2.5. I forget exactly what CL (CAS) stands for, but basically it's the latency in the RAM so CL2 has 20% less latency (lag) than CL2.5 basically making it about 20% faster. However PC2100 runs at 7.5NS and PC2700 runs at 5-6 NS so it's got faster access and better bus tranfers :)

"POI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

EDIT: I wanted this message to say "edited on xx/xx/xxxx so I am editing it :)

Edited by - Soren on 2002/05/08 08:32:03
zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
zilv3r has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/05/18 :  17:43:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit zilv3r's homepage  Reply with quote
Here's my monster of a machine :D

Intel Dual Boot Mother Board
AMD Althlon 1.7gig Processors x 2 overclocked at 2gig each giving me 4gig processing power
512 SDRAM x 2
RAID Card
4 x 80gig Western Digital Hard Drives
Ge Force 4 Ti 4600 Graphics Card
Sonic Fury Sound Card
Pinnacle TV Capture Card With TV In/Out Port
Netgear Network Interface Card
Conexant 56k Modem With Built in Fax(Not In Use)
USB Hub (Series 2 USB)
Panasonic 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Drive
52x Speed CD Rom Drive
x16 Speed DVD Drive
32x28x52 Speed CD RE Writer
4 x 80mill Fans
2 x 120mill Fans
Canon BCJ 1000 Printer (Bubble jet printer)
Intel Server Base Unit Case (Moddified to fit all the extra fans)

Why all the pressure to sum up my life, my religion, my whole world in one line?

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/05/20 :  13:53:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Nice, but before you blow the cash on a Dual processor unit make sure the software you are planning on using supports dual proccessing or you are just wasting money.

Also, the new Maxtor hard drives are actually the best around for running Raid arrays so you might wanna check them out. I think the model # is D740X or something like that.

And check out Lian Li cases at: www.coolerguys.com they are what all the "hardcore" tweakers use. They are all aluminum which makes them lighter, stronger, and cooler. Plus they have a bunch that are modded with side view panels and 4-6 fans including side and top fans. They are quite simply the best cases you can get. The Lian Li PC-65 Custom Version 2 being the best for most people. It comes with 5 fans stock i think and is just about the coolest case you can get.

And at the same sight check out the CPU coolers if you are gonna overclock. The ThermalTake Volcano 7+ was benchmarked the best cooler available at any price, but they are like $50 each....

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.81 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page