Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 n00b Starting Out
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
zilv3r has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/05/18 :  17:57:57  Show profile Send a private message

I'm totally new to the world of DJ'ing, yet I've been intrested in HHC since I was about 7. And I'd like to move to the next stage of actually making/mixing my own music, I do a lot electronically, which is quite easy once you get the hang of it. But anyhow moving on..

Firstly what would I need? A pair of deck's I assume, but what kind, what's the differance, starting mixer, speakers, and so on.

My price range is around £10,000. Within this I want to get a sound system to fill a room that can hold around 100/200 people.

The kind of style of music I like to listen too depends on my state of mind, but I will listen to anything that has a beat or a choon I can dance too. So the deck's/mixer/sound system has to be able to cope from, club beats, to happy hardcore to drum and bass.

For this kind of price range, I'm going to have to be looking at second hand stuff right? Anyhow, I've no idea how any of it works, so a question to everyone that own's a pair of deck's, how did you learn, and how did you start off?

Why all the pressure to sum up my life, my religion, my whole world in one line?

Alert moderator
zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
Posted - 2002/05/18 :  18:04:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit zilv3r's homepage
That's the deck's ordered :D Is the mixer ok? Or should I upgrade? What do you think on my choice of Decks?

Why all the pressure to sum up my life, my religion, my whole world in one line?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
kg4
Advanced Member

United States
802 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/18 :  18:14:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kg4's homepage
yeah, those are good, but arnt they a little pricey for someone who is just starting? i mean, who knows you may hate mixing once you try it o_O

"We'll always be together, forever for it seems. We'll always be together in electric dreams. "

zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
Posted - 2002/05/18 :  18:18:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit zilv3r's homepage
Just over a grand, pretty cheap, and I doubt I'll hate it, I might get fed up of it as I might not get the hang of it straight away (story of my life) but I'll always have a dabble :D

godisadj

Congo, Democractic Republic of the
113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/19 :  03:02:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit godisadj's homepage
If your price range is £10,000 why don't you go to a dj store and get them to sort out everything for you.

"WE'VE ALL GOT A MISSION, WE GET INTO DIFFERENT RUTS, SOME ARE THE COGS ON THE WHEELS, OTHERS ARE PLAIN NUTS!"

StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/05/19 :  03:40:54  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
*cough* audio *cough* warez *cough* want a link? pm me
"Nice decks!" ha ha...
Heard the mixer is good, is that the worlds first digital mixer or something like that? heard it somewhere...
As for the sound system you'll probably need about 100000000W...nah im exaggerating....about 1000W's which should cost just over a grand...cerwin-vega are nice :D
If you're looking to spend quite a lot, check these:
http://www.htfr.com/products/browseprod.php?browseby=bycat&category=speakers&catno=MR25797&
But not so much, i recommend this:
http://www.htfr.com/products/browseprod.php?browseby=bycat&category=speakers&catno=MR69715&
Amp:
http://www.htfr.com/products/browseprod.php?browseby=bycat&category=amplifiers&catno=MR47995&

You don't have to listen to me obviously, and i recommend you get some pro advice aswell, but that's the stuff i recommend for a smallish room.

For production, it depends. Cubase is the standard, and obviously very good, but i've heard reason kicks ass too...all depends what you want.
Cubase is an all in one production studio which uses notation, samples, virtual instruments, and something else and reason is made up of racks, and more can be added with refill packs. Come to think of it, i started off with dance eJay! ha ha...

as for learning, it just come naturally to me, somehow, listening to the beat and speeding up/slowing down. But numark do a package which teaches you how to do it for 10 pounds and has free shipping.
http://www.htfr.com/products/browseprod.php?browseby=bycat&category=book&catno=MR56811&
think its exclusive to this store.

Hardcore Will Never Die

zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
Posted - 2002/05/19 :  04:29:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit zilv3r's homepage
Thanks for your info, your second choice of speaker was my first choice :D Now hold back the laughter when I ask this question, as you all may know all this, but for me i'm still learning.

Right an AMP, it amplifies the volume, I gathered that much, but how does it work? HOW does it amp the sound? Does it send more current down the line or ??

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/05/19 :  15:15:43  Show profile  Send a private message
i think it works like a step up transformer,eg two electromagnets. but a bit more complicated obviously
basically,if you feed 5 volts through one electromagnet with 20 coils that then goes into another with 40 coils,10 volts will come out at the end of the cable. it'll work somewhere along those lines

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Edited by - DJ Mouse on 2002/05/19 16:13:06
kraz-e-kat
Starting Member

United States
9 posts
Posted - 2002/05/19 :  15:21:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kraz-e-kat's homepage
get a pair of Technic SL1200 m3ds (probably around 900$ new)
get a vestax pmc25 pro (300$ at musician's friend.com)
a couple of ortofon dj cartridges (blue ones)
sony mdvr700 headphones

buy Reason, Recycle, and Rebirth all by propellerhead software.

you can get most of this stuff at either musiciansfriend.com, idjnow.com, or pssl.com

that's basically my setup and im happy with it...everything is running through a pc (which will cost probably about 1,200 or so for a decent one, more for a good laptop)

all in US dollars of course.

http://katpad.moonfruit.com

skies2049
Average Member

United States
181 posts
Posted - 2002/05/19 :  17:34:57  Show profile  Send a private message
should i get that?

just dance........

zilv3r

United Kingdom
59 posts
Posted - 2002/05/19 :  17:58:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit zilv3r's homepage
What are dj cartridges?

godisadj

113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/20 :  07:02:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit godisadj's homepage
dj cartridges are for decks, they hold the stylus on the record at the end of the tone arm. I like stanton ones.

"WE'VE ALL GOT A MISSION, WE GET INTO DIFFERENT RUTS, SOME ARE THE COGS ON THE WHEELS, OTHERS ARE PLAIN NUTS!"

kraz-e-kat
Starting Member

United States
9 posts
Posted - 2002/05/20 :  07:11:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kraz-e-kat's homepage
these are cartridges....

http://123dj.com/cartridges/ccdj.html

those are the ones you should get also. that is a good price. just make sure you get two of them (one for each turntable). there are other ones, such as the stanton trackmaster/discmaster etc. but in my experience (about a dozen times using them at parties), they tend to jump a lot and for some reason seem to "break" easily. the ortofons are top quality cartriges, stick like glue to the record groove, and sound GREAT.

Remember, when you get your tables/mixer/cartridges/headphones, and then buy some records (check out subsonicunderground.com or imorecords.com), it may be a while before you can mix. it takes dedication, practice, patience, and lots of time. i spent probably AT LEAST an hour a day for a couple months before i could beat match successfully on a consistent basis. dont get frustrated and quit or it will be the biggest waste of money you've spent.

http://katpad.moonfruit.com

godisadj

113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/20 :  07:15:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit godisadj's homepage
I think I'll ditch the stantons now kraz-e-kat, I was told they're the most reliable but I get the same trouble with them 'jumping'. I'll try the ortofon's instead.

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/05/20 :  07:51:47  Show profile  Send a private message
my stantons never jump,you haven't got the tone arm set up properly,as in the counterbalance at the back.

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

godisadj

113 posts

36 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/20 :  10:55:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit godisadj's homepage
I've got the counter balance as far in as it will go, the anti-skate is at 4 but still if I hit the table or even sometimes when I walk past it the tone arm will jump across the record. When I dj and the bass is turned up slightly it sounds terrible. It might be the table I have, maybe I should invest in a proper deckstation, or a half decent set of decks.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.09 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page