My style of mixing
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
DjAtrix
Starting Member

1 post
Posted - 2001/06/05 :  15:17:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
whats going on all. this is my first time posting but I read through this topic and thought i might have something to say. for me djing is composing of mainly two things i practice, skratching and beat matching. these two are essential to my djing just because i spin HHC and hip-hop. i used to just always practice skratching because beat mixing was a pain and i wasnt any good, but after i started spinning HHC i had to do it. i just kept on practicing and now it is no hat. thats all it is practice. peace.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
kANDeKraver
Starting Member

3 posts
Posted - 2001/06/11 :  13:22:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
my lord.. i never had any idea there there was anyone who DIDNT beat match...
i dont wanna sound rude, but thats the first thing i was learing the weekend i og tmy decks...

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2001/06/11 :  21:18:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
i hear ya kANDE!

first thing i ever did on my dex (bar playing around with moving the record back and forth) was try to beat match.

also dont mean to sound rude. but as far as i'm concerned.. mixing involves beatmatching more than anything else.

if you havent got the tracks matched how can you do cuts and stuff like that.

second most important to beatmatching is keeping stuff in sequence. (i think someone mentioned phrases b4)

if you got those two spot on.. even a pretty plain fade will still sound good.

and no one has mentioned the use of EQ during transition or even in general?

anyways.. my 2c

cheers~!

--------¡
Open your eyes, see all the love in me, I got enough for ever.
Dont be afraid, take all you need from me, and we'll be strong together...

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/06/11 :  22:23:13  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
I would not get used to using EQ to mix as 50% of the mixers you will use in your DJ career wont have it :)

dj-efeks

Australia
298 posts
Posted - 2001/06/12 :  08:06:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
hehee u serious silver??? so what u jus need to use really good timing???

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/06/12 :  11:24:07  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
Sure, 50% of the time you will find the mixer to be two channels (taped down so you can't move them and a cross fader) and either no EQ or the sound engineer has done something (tape or removing) to the EQ so you don't hurt his expensive speakers. 10% of the time you wont be able to figure out the mixer quick enough in the darkness of a club or party so you don't want to mess with anything. On the vestax mixers there is a switch to reverse the crossfader I was DJing one time and I switched it by mistake not seeing what I had done I had to spend the last 20-30 mins on my set DJing with the crossfader in reverse :)

10% you will have bass and high EQ only, the rest you will have your full EQ... So basically if you can DJ with the crossfader only you will be able to DJ anywhere :)

This is my take on the story there are probally others...take what you need and make up your own mind what is best for you :)

kANDeKraver
Starting Member

3 posts
Posted - 2001/06/20 :  01:23:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
thats realy reasuring.. since i thought i was missing out, not being able to afford a mixer with an eq!

shouldnt a mix be carried out fur a good long time? thats how i like to do it..
i get bored just standing behind the decks as the song plays out.. i always wanna do something so i tend ot let the songs play together for a long time.. as long as possible..

and hrmm.. i think as a dj AND a dancer, breakdowns kinda bother me..

Edited by - kANDeKraver on 20 Jun 2001 01:28:00

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/06/20 :  04:30:21  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
My first mixer didn't have EQ either, I really found that to be the best thing, because when I went to clubs that didn't have em I was still cool... I could see other DJ's having trouble... When I mix I cut alot, if you are good at beat mixing then you shouldn't really notice the cut so much, it more or less sounds like one song than two that has part's of the track turning off and on.

Breakdown's are for scratching and not dancing :)

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2001/06/20 :  07:50:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
you serious silver, i dont think i've ever used a mixer that hasnt had eq. eq'ing plays a big part in my mixes, i even eq some of my cuts. I'd still be prepared if i did have to use one though (the 2band eq on my mixer barely works anyways). oh and most of the time i dont even use the crossfader (use channel faders instead) unless i wanna do cuts .

anyone ever been stuck with a mixer with a 50% in the center curve?.. man i hate them ..

--------¡

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/06/20 :  11:19:56  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
Lusive: Dead serious, if you play a massive party with a massive sound system (really expensive) the sound engineer does not want you playing with the EQ on the mixer because it screws with the sound levels on his system, thus he will tape them so they can't move or find a mixer that doesn't have it. I did a gig in Australia once the levels were taped (couldn't move them) the EQ was removed (physically) so they only thing you got is a crossfader. I am not saying all events are like this, but you will find sometimes the mixers don't have EQ.

Plus EQ's on mixer's only really became a "standard" thing about after 93 - 94 IMO, if you wanted EQ on your mixer before that you really paided for it (damn I'm getting old) :)

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2001/06/21 :  08:36:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Silver: well if i was the sound engineer for some parties in brisbane, i wouldnt trust them with eq as far as i could toss them into a brick wall..

on the other hand there are dj's (like me) who understand enough about what they are doing to handle eq responsibly.. oh and by the way have you ever noticed on a pioneer doesnt have post-effect level meters.. i see so many people turn on effect (like a hard flange) and not notice it just got lou.... . . .. . what i cant hear you? what? .. . . ...... . .. thats why sound guys dont like dj's pissing with the mixer

--------¡

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2001/06/21 :  08:41:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
silver: where are you situated now? and when you play in australia where do you normally play?

oh and i heard you used to be in the old group affinity? (hope thats correct info) , are you guys gonna do any more material?

probably shoulda posted this in a new topic. but i'm not directing this at anyone else.

--------¡

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/06/21 :  10:59:13  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

silver: where are you situated now? and when you play in australia where do you normally play?

Tokyo, used to live in Australia, have not played Sydney since Jan 2001

quote:

oh and i heard you used to be in the old group affinity? (hope thats correct info) , are you guys gonna do any more material?

Most of my studio is in storage in Australia. You should see something soon in the way of new tracks.... but this is all I can say at the moment.

IzzyLightdancer

United States
46 posts
Posted - 2001/06/21 :  14:09:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit IzzyLightdancer's homepage  Reply with quote
As a dancer I have to admit that the smooth mixing form one song to another is sooo Nice, but on the other hand the tease of hearing a song you love suddenly pop in and out till its mixed in perfect then flow and build on its own till its just pulsating through you is the ultimate rush.

RUle 4 - NEVER monkey with another monkey's monkey! - so sayth The Rule book of IZZY

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/06/22 :  01:52:11  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
IzzyLightdancer: I agree on a perfect mix you wont even know the track is being mixed until it's about 75% done... in other cases you can hear a perfect mix because the two bass drums phaze each other out, I call it "locking the mix in"...

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.11 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page