Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Gear advice please
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Love Monkey

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  05:56:37  Show profile Send a private message
I need some more sounds for my (small) studio.
At the moment i have

A monster computer (thanks to advice from people on this list, particularly phosphor (cheers geeza!!))
CS2X
Proteus 2000 with XL rom
AMT8

I was thinking of a supernove 2. Any suggestions/comments?

In the words of Ali G: "Give a man a compilation tape and he'll dance for a night. Teach a man to scratch, and he'll be dancing for generations!"

Alert moderator
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  06:00:39  Show profile  Send a private message
get yourself an access virus if you can afford it
and have you any samplers there? if not then get yourself an akai s5000

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Love Monkey

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  06:10:49  Show profile  Send a private message
Yeah ive got cubase,halion,recycle,soundforge,waves fx
I heard the virus had limited polyphony/fx

In the words of Ali G: "Give a man a compilation tape and he'll dance for a night. Teach a man to scratch, and he'll be dancing for generations!"

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  06:48:47  Show profile  Send a private message
never heard that one before. but i only seen it in action once so i've no idea. i can find out coz my mate's got one. and the sounds that come out of that are sweet!!

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  06:51:17  Show profile  Send a private message
Sounds to me like you just have G.A.S. Your studio looks fine for producing whatever you want. But if you really need more Synth sounds can't you expand the Proteus with a XL-1 card? If you can I suggest doing that cause it'd be cheaper than getting anything else.

But if you want a new synth I would suggest a Virus or a Supernova, depending on what you wanna produce. The Virus makes better rough/fuzzy/course/hard noises IMHO than the Supernova, but the Supernova has a warmer/smoother sound. So if you are making "fluffy" progressive trance I'd say get the SN. If you are making Gabber or some hard form of music get a Virus.

"I heard the virus had limited polyphony/fx"

Well sort of. The Virus B is "limited" to 24 voices. Which is more than anyone should need for making a trackc. The Virus C has 32, which is even more. The Supernova comes with 24,36, or 48 depending on which one you get. The Virus also has only global Reverb and Delay. The Supernova has Reverb/Delay per part. But I have never found this limiting at all cause you can set the Global setting and then set the send amount per part on the Virus basically making it very usable. Plus (again IMHO) the Reverb/Delay on the Virus sound way better, so even though it's less usable when you do use it it sounds nicer...

But again, i'd say look into getting the XL-1 expansion cause it'd be cheaper and it's very good.

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  07:04:07  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage

****ing yes
quote:
get yourself an access virus if you can afford it

DO IT!

they own

filth in a box

Garage Is where You Keep Your ****in Car
House Is where You Live
Hardcore Is HOW You Live

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Love Monkey

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  07:54:44  Show profile  Send a private message
I have the XL1 Board allready. Its not that impressive.

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/05/21 :  18:29:47  Show profile  Send a private message
have you tried tinkering with it a lot? I never used the XL-1, but my friend that knows a lot more than me got one and he said once you got past the presets it was a great kit. If you really don't like it then get a Virus! LOL

Or a Supernova, depends :)

phosphor

Canada
44 posts
phosphor is verified hardcore artist phosphor has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/05/31 :  12:17:27  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit phosphor's homepage
haha .. just to knock this thread even further into the Virus vs SN debate ..

Reverb on the SN is crap, tho everything else is qutie wicked.
You can get some very hard noises on the SN as well, tho the Virus defintaly kicks arse with the rough end of things (creachy leads, noizes, ruff dNb basslines, mmmm).

If you do get a Supernova, get the Supernova II, i have the first one, and after playing on the SN II ... my god, everything down to the constrution of the knobs is just that much better on it.

The Virus tho is damn tasty.. especially the Virus C (nice colour too ;) Lots of parts as wee (16 parts instead of 8 for the SN).

Tho i know i don't want to give up my SN (unless its for a SN II) but i still will be getting a Virus this year, especailly for some of the DnB noises. (and i'd go for the desktop unit .. it's a peice of gear you wanna be able to tweek all the knobs .. as opposed to the 1U space rack virus)

A couple other lil decently priced modules for extra noises i'd recommend Nord Micro Modular ($700 cdn and with all the patches online you can get a fukload of diverse sounds -- more sounds than you can get out of any Nord Lead ;). Waldorf Micro Q is also pretty decent .. tho i find the Waldorf stuff to be not as rough sounding overall ... really neat tweeky noises tho.

Another cheeap little noisemaker is the Korg Electribe EA-1 (2nd hand for like $200 CDN!)- archetecturally 2 Korg Propheys in one box ... does most of what the Korg MS2000 will do too for a little less...good bass, tasty acid (with the onboard harmonic distortion button ;), some wicked trance leads, 2 oscilators for each of the 2 parts with some neat synch'ing options, 2 outputs, and comes with decent onboard chorus and delay effects.

Alrite ... nuff babbling ... time to get back to work ;)

Cheerz,

Dan aka phosphor / phaXis
www.djphosphor.com

Edited by - phosphor on 2002/05/31 12:18:48
Love Monkey

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2002/05/31 :  14:38:23  Show profile  Send a private message
Thanks phosphor, though its a little late seeing as i got my SN 2 this morning!!

Still boxed though, just got in from work. Damn. Will have to have a good fiddle tomorrow (fnar, fnar!)

phosphor

Canada
44 posts
phosphor is verified hardcore artist phosphor has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/06/12 :  08:25:19  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit phosphor's homepage
hahahahahaa, you don't waste no time when yer buying gear do ya!

i'm sure yer not dissapointed with the SN 2 tho ;)

Dan aka phosphor / phaXis
www.djphosphor.com

Love Monkey

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2002/06/12 :  13:27:58  Show profile  Send a private message
True.
SN2 Rocks.
I am a happy bunny!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page