Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 RCA TO FIREWIRE?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
djmonoxide

United States
128 posts
Posted - 2002/08/03 :  16:04:51  Show profile Send a private message  Visit djmonoxide's homepage
Is it possible? Is there a special cable that I could do this with? If so How much and wheree can I get it. I use Firewire IEEE 1394. Thanks for all your help.

I used to be a raver, used to take lots of E. Now I just smoke weed, and you know I will Succeed. :)

Alert moderator
DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/08/04 :  04:00:24  Show profile  Send a private message
nope,it'll be incompatable coz rca's analog and firewire digital

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/08/04 :  06:33:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
I take it you mean RCA as in audio connectors?? There are a few Firewire soundcards about at teh moment, but I'm not sure if any of them have RCA connectors on them. They certainly have 1/4" jacks, which you can get a convertor for, but the soundcards themselves are expensive, and theres only a few.

If you've got firewire, I take it you've also got USB?? Why not get a USB soundcard. These are far more in number, and cheaper in price. Have a look round. The cheapest seems to be the Edirol UA-1A at about £65. I've no idea of the quality, but there are others around if you want better quality/more connectivity.

hope this helps

Matthew aka Cyclone/Underloop
--------------------------
"Turn that shit up!!!!!"

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
Posted - 2002/08/04 :  15:56:02  Show profile  Send a private message
the data transfer of usb is 1.2 mbits so yeh that's pretty damn good quality.
compare that with ultra scsi 3 tho,400 mbits,so if you're gonna get anything,get ultra scsi 3

"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/08/05 :  00:36:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
Do they do SCSI sound cards??

Matthew aka Cyclone/Underloop
"Turn that shit up!!!!!"

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
Posted - 2002/08/05 :  02:47:01  Show profile  Send a private message
i dunno coz it's a fairly new interface. i can see them making a few but it's just mainly samplers these days that connect via scsi

DJ Mouse

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/08/05 :  16:08:33  Show profile  Send a private message
SCSI is in no way new. It's been around for a very very long time, I think like 15 years now.

Underloop- No one makes commercial SCSI soundcards that cost less than $5000. It's expensive and overkill for a soundcard. People have started using Firewire for soundcards with great success however. The MOTU 828 is an amazing 24Bit/48Khz firewire box for example. Firewire can transfer up to 50MB a second which is sufficent for doing 24/96 recording and playback.

Edited by - Soren on 2002/08/05 16:11:19
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/08/06 :  01:02:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
Soren: SCSI may have been around for ages, but theres loads of different versions of it... Ultra SCSI 3 being the latest. Also, the 828 only has TRS i/o. From the sounds of it (with wanting RCA inputs) monoxide wants it to record of of decks, so only needs a stereo input. The 828 would again be overkill, and I don't know of any stereo firewire interfaces at the mo.

I still say look at USB, unless of course you have a free PCI slot, in which case get the M Audio Audiophile...that card is wikkid!!! I paid about £160 for it, but it really is mint!

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
"Turn that shit up!!!!!"

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/08/07 :  12:29:41  Show profile  Send a private message
"Soren: SCSI may have been around for ages, but theres loads of different versions of it... Ultra SCSI 3 being the latest."

Yep, and the maximum length of the cable for Ultra3 is 12 Meters, it supports full clock rate, the maximum number of devices is 16, it's pronounced SKUH-zee and it stands for Small Computer System Interface. ???

"Also, the 828 only has TRS i/o."

Actually it has eight channels of balanced/unbalanced analog input and output (all at 24 bit) and Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors.

"From the sounds of it (with wanting RCA inputs) monoxide wants it to record of of decks, so only needs a stereo input."

I think he actually wants a RCA/Firewire converter so he can try and record some RCA source (output) to his computer directly, but that was already ansered with a no i believe.

"The 828 would again be overkill, and I don't know of any stereo firewire interfaces at the mo."

Yes it is overkill, but he was asking about a firewire interface and the 828 IMHO is the best one. If he wants to get a cheap alternative he could just pick up a $5 soundblaster and get a RCA/Headphone converter for $5 and he'd be set :)

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.22 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page