Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Making my own tunes?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
terry6680
Average Member

United Kingdom
179 posts
Posted - 2002/08/16 :  12:39:54  Show profile Send a private message  Visit terry6680's homepage
Say i want to try and make my own happyhardcore songs, from scratch or maybe from an old song, obviously i have my own PC(which is pretty good), half decent speakers... what else do i need? is it just a case of going out and buying a particular piece of software for my computer??

Alert moderator
o0sameyeam0o

United States
472 posts
Posted - 2002/08/16 :  13:31:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit o0sameyeam0o's homepage
programs. lots and lots of programs!!!!!

One that is really good... REASON!

------------------------------
Respekts

http://www.darktimezone.tk
^Check out Mine and others hardcore tunes ^
AIM: XxhyperbouncexX
Email: [email protected]

www.distortedtrauma.com

Alert moderator Go to top of page
MusicTech
Starting Member

United States
12 posts
Posted - 2002/08/23 :  06:54:09  Show profile  Send a private message
If there were a poll of favourite Production questions, this surely would be
number one.

The brutal truth?

Look in your favorite recording magazine. Find your favorite act,
engineer or producer and see what they use.

The chances are (almost 100%) that they use <<<PRO TOOLS SOFTWARE>>>. And if
they use Logic Audio or another software, they use it with Pro Tools
hardware.

Right now, Digidesign has the ball and they are running way ahead of the
competition (what competition?). Maybe this will change in time, but it
won't be changing in a hurry.

'Tip of the Day' is 100% independent of any manufacturer and it
contains no advertising other than that from the producers of 'Tip of
the Day'.

A SUCCESSFUL PRODUCER IS SOMEONE WHO CAN ENCOURAGE THE GENERTATION OF MANY IDEAS, AND THEN DISCARD THE VAST MAJORITY OF THEM LEAVING ONLY THE ONES THAT WILL BLEND TOGETHER TO CREATE THE PERFECT SOUND~~

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/08/23 :  09:43:20  Show profile  Send a private message
Umm... I'd hate to say you're totally wrong, but you are. Most of the current producers don't use any Pro Tools equipment or software at all. Pro Tools hasn't seen a major update in about 4-5 years now and it's pretty common knowledge that things like Cubase SX and Logic 5 are leaps and bounds ahead of ProTools in both ease of use and functionality. 5 Years ago Pro Tools was great cause you could run everything on their huge DSP farms and that's all you needed. Well now a days with the power of PC's and Mac's you can do full multi-track processing and mixing on a normal computer. Pro-Tools has been on the way out for at least 2 years now and I haven't heard of anyone wanting to integrate it into a modern studio.

Fat Boy Slim: Mix of analog and VA synths/drum machines and an old Atari.

Orbital: Just about the same except a few Mac's instead of an Atari.

Moby, überzone, Crystal Method: All hard gear and limited PC/Mac use for sequencing.

Plus I highly doubt terry is looking to drop $12,000 on an initial setup without synths and extras....

Edited by - Soren on 2002/08/23 09:46:15
MusicTech
Starting Member

United States
12 posts
Posted - 2002/08/23 :  11:53:44  Show profile  Send a private message
Hmmm........ Well I Am A Full Time Producer With Crystal Sound Studios In The Minneapolis, St Paul Area. And We All Use Pro Tools. And The Crystal Sounds Studios In The Texas Hot Bed Area-(austin,dallas) Use Pro Tools. And Our Upcomming Expansion To Nevada......will Use...........pro Tools......... I Have Been In School For 6 Years. And Every Single Day.............................we Used...............pro Tools...........

((soren))- I Think You And I Are On Two Diffrent Pages Of Production. " Ummmmm....i'd Hate To Say Your Totally", On The Amature Side Of Produceing Music. ........producers That Are Accredited For Record Production, All Use Pro-tools. Fat Boy Slim As In Your (*ex)........is Not A Record Producer. I Dont Know Where You Went To School, Or Maybe Are Currently In........ But I Think You Should Talk To Some Professors/producers At Berklee College Of Music And Ask Them Two Things..............

1. If They Use,teach, And Have Seven Elective Classes For Pro-tools.

And

2. Is Hhc/gabber....ect..................... A Form Of Contemporary Music.

Would You Like Me To Explain A Little More Into Why We Use Pro_tools>?

A Successful Producer Is Someone Who Can Encourage The Genertation Of Many Ideas, And Then Discard The Vast Majority Of Them Leaving Only The Ones That Will Blend Together To Create The Perfect Sound~~

MusicTech
Starting Member

United States
12 posts
Posted - 2002/08/23 :  12:14:42  Show profile  Send a private message
Do you really want to work in a recording studio?

For every one person who has a real desire, and of course the
determination to succeed, there are many who have a complete
misunderstanding of what the job entails.

Working in a recording studio does not mean hanging out with your
favorite recording artist or band. It doesn't mean endless partying.
It doesn't mean hordes of attractive women rushing to take advantage
of your body (or perhaps you might be more interested in an attractive
man).

The reality is that you work very long hours - 14 hours a day for a
2-3 month period would not be at all unusual. You have to be very
methodical, patient, and have the ability to see everything you do done
100% correctly from the start of the day to its end.

You have to have the right personality. You could try to fake a
pleasant, outgoing, eager-to-help-no-matter-what disposition for a
while. But you couldn't keep it up.

If you are lucky enough to land a job in a recording studio, bear in
mind that you are very much on trial. You will be asked to do all sorts
of tasks that have nothing to do with recording. You may not see the
inside of the studio at all.

But remember, you are on trial. If you are destined to become a
recording engineer, you will be happy just to be in the building.

A SUCCESSFUL PRODUCER IS SOMEONE WHO CAN ENCOURAGE THE GENERTATION OF MANY IDEAS, AND THEN DISCARD THE VAST MAJORITY OF THEM LEAVING ONLY THE ONES THAT WILL BLEND TOGETHER TO CREATE THE PERFECT SOUND~~

MusicTech
Starting Member

United States
12 posts
Posted - 2002/08/23 :  12:31:18  Show profile  Send a private message
Transforming And Transposing Are Key Factors In Any Form Of Electronic Contemp Music. You-(soren) As A Dj And Well.......(((composer))) Of Hhc Would Know That Transforming And Transposing And Maybe Dealing With Semi-tones-(in Some Cases) ....is Not A Big Factor In Hhc. But Custimized Digi-design Software Is All About Transforming And Transposing And The Plug-ins That Go With It.

A Successful Producer Is Someone Who Can Encourage The Genertation Of Many Ideas, And Then Discard The Vast Majority Of Them Leaving Only The Ones That Will Blend Together To Create The Perfect Sound~~

MusicTech
Starting Member

United States
12 posts
Posted - 2002/08/23 :  12:36:14  Show profile  Send a private message
Just Remember Im Just Trying To Help. Im Not Trying To Diss Your "flow". I Have My Opinions And You Have Yours. Somewhere In The Middle Is The Perfect Answer.

Expierence Is The Best Teacher.

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/08/23 :  18:47:29  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
i think youve confused the poor lad

personaly it depends on your level of knowladge too

Stargazer produces his tunes using nothing but his pc, cubase and plugins,

The one and only devastate uses Cubase, reason, plugins and a couple of external synths with a Yamaha digital desk, exactly the same can be said for breeze, styles, force, ufo, hixxy, scott brown, brisk and ham

as far as hardcore is concerned, pro tools is a little out of the question, due to the price

but yeah pro tools is still used, in the studio the freestylers work in the use a combination of logic and pro tools along with external synth gear.. but its not THE only way of doing things... obviously

my two cents...

Also... what is this transforming and transposing buisiness? i dont actualy know, im about to start my music tech course this year

just another thing i have found out, luna-c (phsychangle.. etc) and most other producers who have produced some of the best records hardcore (and the charts... seasame street etc) haave seen, dont tend to work with technical terms... does the sound go wuuuuuurp or whuuuuuhhhhrgggg... does the bass shake ur body, or just bounce.... thats the things they tend to work round :) i tend to work in a medium of that, blended with a bit of my knowladge (that is very sparse)

but still... thats all my own opinion and in my best knowladge

Garage Is where You Keep Your ****in Car
House Is where You Live
Hardcore Is HOW You Live

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Edited by - Oli G on 2002/08/23 18:52:31
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/08/24 :  06:06:35  Show profile  Send a private message
musictech, next time please use the edit message at the top of you're previous post instead of posting on 3 different occasions shortly after you're initial reply.

also don't SHOUT, it's makes it hard to read with my sensitive eyes =P

"Cuz I'm hardcore, heavyweight, magical man."

Starlight
Starting Member

United Kingdom
6 posts
Posted - 2002/08/24 :  07:47:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Starlight's homepage
I am going to be publishing my tunes on Sunhine Dance Recordings and I know how important it is for someone to either spend about 10,000 on a good studio or pay god knows how much a day to use some one elses.

Starlight @ Sunshine Dance Recordings/
Fatal Element Publishing

StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/08/24 :  08:13:24  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
for fks sake musictech, we're not talking trance production here! i know loads of people who pump out some of the phattest rave i've ever heard who barely know SQUAT about all that crap you just talked about. for gods sake, i cant even use the energypro vst in cubase basically at all and my tunes are pretty damn wickid. hardcore isnt about knowing all this gob shite its about going out there and doing it for yourself.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

MusicTech
Starting Member

United States
12 posts
Posted - 2002/08/24 :  12:48:46  Show profile  Send a private message
I Agree With Everyones Replys.

(robby)~ Interesting You Say Trance Production. And Your Exactly Right. Props To Ya.

(brian)~ Sorry. Still A Newbie Here.

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/08/24 :  21:18:22  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
Dude!! I was in the same boat as you not so long ago, BUT I found something. Like you I had just a computer - and I guess your not really one to go out and buy a couple of grands worth of synths, y'know what I mean?

So get your self a copy of ACID Pro. I've made over 100 songs with it (none have been released "offically" but check out mp3.com/migcrew ).

All you really need are samples (like wav's) to put together. All this Pro Tools and Logic - man, unless your gonna go in hard and expect to make Pro stuff, don't even bother cos it costs way too much. If your just gonna muck around - ACID Pro, ACID music and other simple and user friendly sequencers are your best bet.

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/08/26 :  07:09:23  Show profile  Send a private message
"((soren))- I Think You And I Are On Two Diffrent Pages Of Production. "

I agree, I was responding to the original poster that wants to make HHC in his bedroom, I think you are talking about "Pro" recording and producing not just trying to make a "phat" hhc or tech-trance choon.

"Ummmmm....i'd Hate To Say Your Totally", On The Amature Side Of Produceing Music."

I am actually. I'm not a pro at all. But I know a lot about production cause my best friends are all professional producers/studio techs.

"........producers That Are Accredited For Record Production, All Use Pro-tools."

Again, you are wrong about this. The people I know closely are professional producers and none of them use pro-tools. And when I asked them what i should get they all told me not to waste my money on Pro-Tools.

"Fat Boy Slim As In Your (*ex)........is Not A Record Producer."

Fat Boy Slim is Not a record producer? What is he then? And what is your definition of a record producer? Somone that makes a top 40 hit?

"I Dont Know Where You Went To School, Or Maybe Are Currently In........ But I Think You Should Talk To Some Professors/producers At Berklee College Of Music And Ask Them Two Things.............. "

My friend Tony is a grad of the Berklee College of music and has done recording and mastering of several bands and has made his own Techno recordings on the side. The studio he works with renovated about 1+1/2 years ago and they dumped Pro-Tools for Mac's and Logic. My friend Dave also went to Berklee and does production work in Cali with people like Lenny Kravitz <SP> and he uses a highly retrofitted Mac laptop and Digital Performer. My friend Ethan that has put out many tracks and CD's including a track on the PS2 game Frequncy also uses a Mac and Digital Performer... although recently he said he has been getting really into Ableton Live. Now I can't say that no pro studios use Pro-Tools, but I can say that no pro "Techno" producers or "Techno" studios I have seen putting out tracks in the last 2 years use Pro-Tools. Although clearly if everyone you know is using Pro-Tools then maybe I just know all freaks or my sampling of Studios/Pruducers is too small for me to know what everyone is using...

"2. Is Hhc/gabber....ect..................... A Form Of Contemporary Music."

Technically no, but that is what the guy was asking about...

"Would You Like Me To Explain A Little More Into Why We Use Pro_tools>?"

No, cause honestly it would probably go over my head due to my relatively limited production knowledge.

"Do you really want to work in a recording studio?"

Nope, I wanna work in my bedroom :)

"Working in a recording studio does not mean hanging out with your
favorite recording artist or band. It doesn't mean endless partying.
The reality is that you work very long hours - 14 hours a day for a
2-3 month period would not be at all unusual. You have to be very
methodical, patient, and have the ability to see everything you do done
100% correctly from the start of the day to its end."

No offense, but I really don't think the original poster wants to work in a studio, I think he wants to have fun cranking out phat HHC choons in his bedroom. Maybe i'm wrong though, i am pretty stupid :)

"You-(soren) As A Dj And Well.......(((composer))) Of Hhc Would Know That Transforming And Transposing And Maybe Dealing With Semi-tones-(in Some Cases) ....is Not A Big Factor In Hhc. But Custimized Digi-design Software Is All About Transforming And Transposing And The Plug-ins That Go With It."

I actually gave up DJing many years ago and I don't produce HHC either. I am more into just farting around playing with synths for hours on end getting them to make funny Bleeps, whiirrrs, and wooshes that amuse me to no end. Although lately i've started getting more into producing and I just picked up my first (not built into my synth/drum machine) sequencer. I got Cubase SX for myself cause I couldn't afford to flip over to Mac... :(

"Just Remember Im Just Trying To Help. Im Not Trying To Diss Your "flow". I Have My Opinions And You Have Yours. Somewhere In The Middle Is The Perfect Answer."

I know you're just trying to help, me too. I just think telling somone that says "hey i've never done this, I wanna make HHC, what should I get?" to plop down the time and cash for a Pro-Tools rig is kinda silly. I think Fruity Loops or something like would be a much better option... Again maybe i'm way off on that cause I really only know a few "professional" producers. And according to you Fat Boy Slim isn't a record producer so I guess my friends making Techno records aren't either.

I'm not trying to say that all the pro's that make "real" records don't use Pro-Tools, just in my experience and reading almost all the people i've run across that make "fake" records (Like HHC, Jungle, and Trance ones) don't seem to have much love for the Pro-Tools. And I certainly don't think Pro-Tools is a good option for somone that's never used anything before. But as usual I am probably wrong :)

PS: I also know for a fact that none of my "Old" (90-94) favorite choons were made with Pro-Tools and I personally think they are the best produced records of all time. And the Kit list of all the people that made the great "older" (95-98) hard trance was almost always: Atari, Jupiter/or Juno or both, TB-303 and that was about it.

Some other quote: "I am going to be publishing my tunes on Sunhine Dance Recordings and I know how important it is for someone to either spend about 10,000 on a good studio or pay god knows how much a day to use some one elses."

Or you could have skills. The most successful Techno producer I know uses a Mac w/Digital Performer, a Novation Nova, and a Nord modular as his current setup. All in all it probably cost $3000-$4000 for everything he uses and he doesn't need a pro style $80,000 studio to produce or master his choons... course he has been making tracks for almost 10 years now and he's probably an exception cause he's damn good... :)

PPS: I just re-read my post. I'm not trying to be a jerk or tell you i'm the god of music production or anything. I'm just telling what I see people actually using to make "fake" music and again my experience is limited and this is all of course my opinions on things and that's as seriously as anyone should take what I'm saying. And I'm not trying to say im right and everyone else is wrong. There are many roads leading to a successful techno producing end. I'm just trying to point people in what I think is the best path to both keep it cheap, easy, and still professional. Oh, and I'm a moron ^_^

"A Successful Producer Is Someone (Like ATB) that has lots of money to promote himself and buy tons of gear to "steal" presets from, The Genertation Of Few Rehashed Unoriginal Ideas used by other acts (like Orbital), And Then tells everyone he is the master over and over while simultaneosly way over promoting himself till 90% of the morons that buy crap music buy into him and make him damn popular and rich." -Soren heh :)

Edited by - Soren on 2002/08/26 07:38:58
Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/08/26 :  07:51:43  Show profile  Send a private message
Terry- It occurs to me I never did give any suggestions.... heh... oops :)

What's ur budget? For like $50 you can get Fruity Loops, it's OK (I hear) for getting the basic idea of techno production down. Above that is Reason 2 which is supposed to be very very good and runs about $250. And above that is much much more. Like Cubase SX, Logic, and Digital Performer running on powerful computers with lots of great plugin Synths and Samplers and maybe external gear like the Novation Nova which is a superb starter synth :)

EDIT: Also as a bit of a follow up to:

"Look in your favorite recording magazine. Find your favorite act,
engineer or producer and see what they use."

I looked in the latest quarterly special of Computer Music (I think it was CS, it's issue # was like SPQ3 and it has a sample CD on it and it's british) and out of 15 or so "Professional Producers" they interviewed like 3 of them used Pro-Tools in some way and none of the rest did.

Edited by - Soren on 2002/08/26 09:45:16

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.11 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page