Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Is using a computer to mix "cheating" ?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/08/21 :  10:01:22  Show profile Send a private message
I want to hear from other DJ's on this one. I feel that are far too many people who lack any sort af technical DJ'ing skills, but are billing themselves as DJ's because they know how to use a computer.

Alert moderator
Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/08/21 :  13:59:30  Show profile  Send a private message
I haven't seen anyone using a Laptop live at a party except people doing live shows of music they created themselves. I wouldn't call it cheating if DJ's are actually doing that, but I might call it ****** dumb and pointless :)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Dj Tripnosis

Canada
418 posts
Dj Tripnosis has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/08/21 :  17:15:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Tripnosis's homepage
Yes it is cheating, whole heartedly. In my opinion anyway. You'd have to call yourself a CJ , I mean c'mon, what discs are you using, that sorta defeats the purpose of DISC JOCKEY. The same way that Anobolic Frolic cheated making the happy 2B Hardcore series, they were all digitally mixed ( aka using yer f*ckin computer) .....for shame

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -

-rejecting your reality and substituting my own

Edited by - Dj Tripnosis on 2002/08/21 17:17:40
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/08/21 :  18:42:40  Show profile  Send a private message
umm the hard drives have discs in them, does that count? =P

"Cuz I'm hardcore, heavyweight, magical man."

ET
Starting Member

United States
7 posts
Posted - 2002/08/21 :  22:55:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ET's homepage
To me anything other then pure Vinyl unless you made the music yourself is cheating.

I mean I even think mixing CD's is kinda cheating.

If you are doing a Live PA and use a cd, but you made the music yourself or use a dat file then no not cheating

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Posted - 2002/08/22 :  07:55:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
Of course an accomplished DJ who uses a computer to compliment a set is one thing. There are several DJ's in my neck of the woods (Chicago) who are quite popular in the clubs and do entire sets with a laptop. One of these jokers informed me that he had NEVER EVEN TOUCHED A TURNTABLE, and that I was a fool for wasting my time with vinyl.

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/08/22 :  08:26:41  Show profile  Send a private message
hmm depends, something like the final scratch setup is isn't cheating, but without a doubt, digital mixing H2BH style is cheating, because u ond't do it real time and just let the comp do it all for you.

I'd say they mostly are, except final scracth coz you have decks :)

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Posted - 2002/08/22 :  08:38:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate everyone's opinion on this. Keep it going!

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/08/22 :  15:04:39  Show profile  Send a private message
if your mp3 mixer's got auto cue on it where it finds the perfect mix for you then hell yeah it's cheating,all you're doing is pushing a button and the mix is done,now where's the talent or skill in that??

on the other hand,if you're simply using the mp3 mixer as an alternate medium and find the pitch yourself then it's ok

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Cephiros

United States
21 posts
Posted - 2002/08/22 :  17:14:24  Show profile  Send a private message
I wonder if I have a right to say anything since I'm just a newbie learning to beatmatch. I would have to say to mix using a computer without figuring out the pitch would be consider cheating.

If you are using the Final Scratch thing then I would have to say no, it's not cheating. Besides... Why not use vinyl, I love the feel of it!

Cephiros

Dj Tripnosis

Canada
418 posts
Dj Tripnosis has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/08/22 :  19:20:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Tripnosis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djnateking:
Of course an accomplished DJ who uses a computer to compliment a set is one thing. There are several DJ's in my neck of the woods (Chicago) who are quite popular in the clubs and do entire sets with a laptop. One of these jokers informed me that he had NEVER EVEN TOUCHED A TURNTABLE, and that I was a fool for wasting my time with vinyl.

Sure he may be able to impress the crowd with music but a band can do that to or a singer, thats exactly what a DJ does but he uses discs, his laptop doesn't make him a DJ , either way he's a fool to say that about using vinyl , for shame

-Hi, My name is Auto and i looove to get Blotto !! -

-rejecting your reality and substituting my own

DJ CURLY

United Kingdom
457 posts
Posted - 2002/08/31 :  06:18:21  Show profile  Send a private message
I some times mess about with a program called traktor dj studio....its pretty easy to mix with it even without using the automated features........so yes its cheating.

"what is real
if your talking about what we touch taste and smell and hear then real is just electrical signals interpreted by our brains"

previosly known as
DREAMSCAPE2002

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2002/11/04 :  17:38:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
I don't quite think they could be digitally mixed... I mean... all that help and he still can't pull off quality mixes? Do you hear how sloppy they are?

It's sorta just like playing sports... No point in cheating if you're not going to win anyway.

DeeJay EJ
Starting Member

United States
8 posts
Posted - 2002/11/12 :  05:23:04  Show profile  Send a private message
I think it all depends. If they are just mixing cd's for friends than no. If they are using the computer programs to do ALL of their mixing and not letting people know that parts of it were mixed by computer then yes. Me I have a couple of programs on my computer. But I also have touched tables as well. A friend of mine is teaching me to spin and I will be geting some tables of my own here pretty soon. But using programs to do ALL mixing is just wrong.

But it is funny to see a digital deck on your computer and you can touch it at all. It gets frustrating taht you cant pick it up and throw it out the window.

~~Only that what you BELIVE is TRUE will be made true~~

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2002/11/14 :  15:17:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
Of course you can pick up a computer and throw it out the window, it's just not as aerodynamic...

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Posted - 2002/11/15 :  07:04:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
and it would do more damage if it hit someone...NASTY lawsuit...

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.67 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page