Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Sampling and you
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/09/23 :  04:41:58  Show profile View artist profile Send a private message
What are the laws concerning sampling? I've made a kick a$$ track but I've use a sample from another Happy Hard track, and if I want it uploaded then I have to do the "legal" thing. I know that heaps of artists don't really care. (How many times have you heard Ultra Sonic samples?)

To put it simple - What should be done?

-=[ryg0r]=-

Alert moderator
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2002/09/23 :  05:26:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
What's the sample?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/09/23 :  05:39:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
You need to get permission from all the copyright holders concerned. In the case of sampling another track there will probably only be the 2 copyrights you need clearing. These will be the song copyright (this willshould be owned by the composer of the song, although it may rest in the hands of a publisher or maybe oven the label. Then there is the copyright related to the actual recording. This is in most cases owned by the label it is released on, although in some cases the copyright is retained by the composer and the track is only lisenced to the label.

There are a few ways of clearing the samples. One is to do all the legwork yourself... check the record sleeve for the copyright (c) and publishing (p) details. Approach the companies/people mentioned and take it from there. Alternatively contact the MCPS and the PRS in the UK and ask them for details and such.

Or, you could ask your lawyer to sort this out for you.

But, by far the simplest method would be to use an online resource:

www.sampleclearance.com

This is by far the simplest route. However, note the prices involved!!!

For a HHC release best bet would be to contact the original copyriht holders yourself... who knows, they may let you use it for free.

Another alternative would be to drop the sample from your track and use something original that you won't lose all income from teh track on.

Hope this helps,

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
--------------------------
"Turn that shit up!!!!!"

deejaybee
Average Member

United Kingdom
193 posts
deejaybee is verified hardcore artist deejaybee has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/09/23 :  06:13:18  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

u dont need permission to rip anything... do u really think that a record company is worried about u using a sample???

they are hardly gunna sue you for it if u havent released at least 5 thousand copies!!!

bahahahahahahahaha!

Hardcore Ravers Visit - www.benpaul.uklinux.net

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/09/23 :  06:29:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
uh huh, and with the current surge in HHC at the moment it ain't gonna be long before one record suddenly goes straight up into the charts. Just one, thats all it takes... and guaranteed it'll be one that ripped a vocal or some cheeky sample from another track. Just off the top of my head I can think of 2 tracks that went huge and had elements of other tracks in them.... Sesame's Treet and Raving I'm Raving. Best to cover your back, rather than lose all your royalties.... Another example, Bittersweet Symphony. The Verve never saw a penny of that track.

Another reason why he should seek permission is coz its a HappyHard track he's sampled.... doesn't make for an over long career if you go pissing off top people in the scene.

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
--------------------------
"Turn that shit up!!!!!"

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/09/23 :  06:34:10  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Get permission trust me on this... As Nick from Blaze! (Smart-E) will also tell you...

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/09/24 :  01:39:36  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
The sample is from an old choon, Dj Isaac -

-=[ryg0r]=-

StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/09/25 :  11:58:25  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
yup, happy hard is all about the scene chances are the sample came from another tune to the one you ripped anyway. they prolly wont care, but if its like a vocal from til the day you really should get permisson.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/09/25 :  12:00:27  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
oh and listen to silver, he's probably right

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.14 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page